CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so the woman he calls during the police interview is NOT his wife? How do we know this?
The opening statement contains lots of useful information -

After the 12.52 phone call to the defendant, between 12.52 and 1.01, there are 13 frantic phone calls, primarily from the defendant to his, who he called his wife, who was actually his girlfriend Catherine Jarvis, she lived with him there in Rancho Cucamonga.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/opening-statements.413276/

California itself does not have a law to create common-law marriages. (Theoretically, you could have set up a common-law marriage in another state, and California would honor that, as part of the general rule that a marriage that’s legal in a state will be recognized in other states.)
I believe mothwings, was under the impression that CM was calling someone other than CJ.

The opening statement contains lots of useful information -

After the 12.52 phone call to the defendant, between 12.52 and 1.01, there are 13 frantic phone calls, primarily from the defendant to his, who he called his wife, who was actually his girlfriend Catherine Jarvis, she lived with him there in Rancho Cucamonga.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/opening-statements.413276/

What were these 13 calls about??? Joey had not yet arrived to meet with CM yet had he?

Somebody was questioning a storage unit that Joey and Chase might have shared that LE could find no evidence of. The warrant was for Storage Etc. - Formally AMS Storage in Pomona.

Attachments

• 1FED0BAC-6D8D-48CD-820E-B66D039975A8.jpeg
    1FED0BAC-6D8D-48CD-820E-B66D039975A8.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 5
Somebody was questioning a storage unit that Joey and Chase might have shared that LE could find no evidence of. The warrant was for Storage Etc. - Formally AMS Storage in Pomona.

I think Sgt Smith said he could find no record of the storage unit in his testimony. But iirc he was asked or said the business had been sold or something like that too? Would still think they would have record of that somewhere anyway still.

I wish we knew what was normal phone usage for Chase. It looks strange to have 13 calls in a row to his woman. However, what if it was normal for HIM? What if he is a control freak who repeatedly calls until she answers?

It would be so much easier to judge if we had the normal patterns to compare to.

Pretty sure a felony counted as a strike. So, need to know how many were felonies.

Are we sure he had any strikes? This is his criminal history:

DATE CHARGE DISPOSITION (MAX SENTENCE)
02-04-77 Burglary 66 days in jail
07-28-77 Petty theft 60 days in jail
10-24-78 Criminal trespass 30 days in jail
11-18-78 Burglary 2 years in prison
04-16-85 Receiving stolen property 365 days in jail
02-04-87 Receiving stolen property 16 months in prison
05-21-88 Receiving stolen property 14 days in jail
06-17-88 Parole violation
04-02-01 Burglary Grand theft 180 days in jail

This link has a list of strike offenses in California from back in 2011 (closest I could find to the around this time): LIST OF STRIKE OFFENSES IN CALIFORNIA | Sigal Law Group

IF he already had 2 strikes, I am surprised that the prosecution wouldn't want to show that somehow, if they could.

I think the McStay's eminent deaths were decided by that day. McGuyver threw a monkey wrench into it by being there painting for the next few days. Possibly CM had planned on doing it the day the family was home with CM and McGuyver was there working.
CM could have asked JM to do a search for him on JM's computer about Mexico.....CM had children so it wasn't that strange. Summer TOLD McGuyver that CM was hanging around the house.

I don't get how CM could claim JM was his "best friend", business associate, partner, whatever (according to his LE interview) and disregard a phone call from JM when they had 2 big projects (SA and Paul Mitchell), and JM was CM's "BEST FRIEND" because he was watching a movie with his GF? What if his "Best Friend" had personal emergency? What if there was a change in a job?

And why all this BS about CM's "Wife"? She was NOT his wife, why lie about that simple thing to LE? Maybe so they wouldn't talk to her? "Spousal Privilege"?

And if CM thought JM was his BEST FRIEND, why didn't his BEST FRIEND (who talked to him daily numerous times) mention he'd be off the grid with the family?

And why would CM look around to find a window that was unsecured just because he was checking on the family? If you were checking on a friend, and one of their vehicles were missing, would you go around through the gate to the back yard and check windows? 1 vehicle is gone, the dogs are outside because no one wants them pooping in the house while they're gone, why scope out the house when your friend might just drive up and ask what the heck you are doing? Wouldn't you be concerned that a neighbor might call the police on you for trespassing?

And if for some reason, it just didn't feel right, wouldn't you call the police that very moment? Specially if it was your "BEST FRIEND"? JM's family didn't seem to know JM's comings and goings so why depend on their perception? And what about the planned birthday party for one of the boys?

No, I don't believe for one moment that this is what a person does when they're concerned about their "Best Friend".

Lots of good questions Bernina, and just to add one more - why was Chase the only one called from Joey's phone after the lunch meeting (if there was one)? Joey made several calls before then to several other places, but afterwards, only Chase.

Way, way back on the McStay threads, possibly "Parking Lot" I read everything I could find, before an arrest was made. Of course I can't quote a date, time or person who posted this but I remember Mc Carger not only helping to paint but being around as what I'll call moral support. He could not commit to Feb. 4th due to other plans, and yes, as I recall Summer had sent E-invites I think for the birthday party. I don't want to say more but feel A lot has been kept quiet for a reason, MOO.
I remember those days. There was so much info flowing on the boards. Hard to separate facts from rumors. And, IMO, the family naively fell prey to outsider's help in trying to figure it all out. It eventually got really ugly. Too many opinions. Too much piling on. Somehow the gravity of it all got lost.

Attachments

• CM Truck Side View.jpg
    CM Truck Side View.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 247
I have been thinking about Joey’s personality and he strikes me as somebody from what we know that he wouldn’t of gone to the police over Chase regardless of what he had done.

He just doesn’t seem the type at all to me and I think he would of sacked him and chalked it up to a life lesson.
I think you are absolutely right - he wouldn't have. Summer? .. maybe.

from the Timeline - unfortunately no time.
January 28th:
No Time - Passport search on family desktop - Someone using the McStay’s computer search for information about travel to Mexico and passports for children days before they disappeared. Also, a search of the McStay's computer showed someone had gone to the information website About.com to inquire about travel into Mexico and passports for children.
All very convenient, isn't it?

9 years today.
I currently have a little boy Joey Jr.'s age and size, who shares a birthday with Gianni and has long hair. My parenting style is probably similar to Summer's as well. This is one of those cases that I can't totally detach from and be clinical about. So senseless and brutal.

2z7ekc6.jpg

2hwqxw.jpg

sfgwsi.jpg

s33a1g.jpg

1r2oth.jpg

mcstay - Google Search

I located the VIN which is 1GBGC34R4YF493369. It's currently being offered for sale on Craigslist. Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 2WD Regular Cab HD
Here's a pretty good side view for comparing it to the vehicle captured on the home surveillance video.
It looks the same to me as it was photographed in 2014. I don't know how to find out if it looked like that in 2010, the VIN look up only says chassis and cab so presumably it was customised.

9 years today.
I currently have a little boy Joey Jr.'s age and size, who shares a birthday with Gianni and has long hair. My parenting style is probably similar to Summer's as well. This is one of those cases that I can't totally detach from and be clinical about. So senseless and brutal.

2z7ekc6.jpg

2hwqxw.jpg

sfgwsi.jpg

s33a1g.jpg

1r2oth.jpg

mcstay - Google Search
God rest their souls.

Pretty sure a felony counted as a strike. So, need to know how many were felonies.
I did a lot of searching last night, the offences are listed in that link I posted late last night. They included serious and violent felonies. Compare his criminal history to the list and they weren't strikable offences. I will say imo because I am on my stupid phone and can't remember the penal codes to go and look it up right now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
localghost