CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer does not seem like the type of mom who would let kids eat stale popcorn

What kind of a mom did she seem to be?

I doubt the popcorn was stale when it was first popped, at least I hope not. IIRC there was a popcorn bag in the kitchen, but can't recall if that is in testimony or not.

I agree though, it would have been stale by the 15th.

What kind of a mom did she seem to be?

I doubt the popcorn was stale when it was first popped, at least I hope not. IIRC there was a popcorn bag in the kitchen, but can't recall if that is in testimony or not.

I agree though, it would have been stale by the 15th.

As a very major consumer of popcorn, it does get stale pretty fast. It doesn't save well even if bagged. But do kids care? But the real question is what were this family's habits? I wish we knew more.

I've been using quickbooks for over 20 years. When ready to print checks, quickbooks asks you what is the number of the check you are going to print.
Quickbooks cannot see the numbers on the checks that are in your printer.

You tell quickbooks what the number is. You can tell quickbooks whatever number you feel like.

If it's check number 900 on the check, you can tell quickbooks it's check number 88 if you want to.

All that happens is that quickbooks will record it as check number 88, but your bank records will show it was check number 900.

I wasn't either until someone here did a fantastic job of transcribing the prosecutions opening statement. The check written on the 1st is 4093 so is the check written on the 4th.

But that check number is sequentially earlier in order than any of the checks known to be generated by either Joey or Chase in that time frame.

Joey's checks are from in 4100 range; Chase's 4200

In the OS there is a lengthy portion discussing DK's ex girlfriend, who will testify that DK is the real murderer.
Every cross examination seems to include lengthy questions and inferences, pointing to DK. And they will put up a witness who says DK confessed to the killings. If so, they are going to have to tie DK to the check created on the McStay computer on the 4th, imo.

I have listened to the testimony very carefully, I know what they are implying when it comes to DK, writing the Feb 4th cheque is not one of them.

You said that it was the defense's theory that DK wrote that cheque on the 4th, when in fact it's not their theory. Their theory, according to their opening statement was that JM did that and then called Chase afterwards, like they did on the previous days in February. That call never connected for whatever reason (we don't know why and won't until we hear from cell phone experts).

It may be a requirement for you to believe that DK had anything to do with the killings, or was framing CM, but it is not the defenses theory.

I've been using quickbooks for over 20 years. When ready to print checks, quickbooks asks you what is the number of the check you are going to print.
Quickbooks cannot see the numbers on the checks that are in your printer.

You tell quickbooks what the number is. You can tell quickbooks whatever number you feel like.

If it's check number 900 on the check, you can tell quickbooks it's check number 88 if you want to.

All that happens is that quickbooks will record it as check number 88, but your bank records will show it was check number 900.

So why type in the same check number on two different occasions, days apart, checks written in between times?

I have listened to the testimony very carefully, I know what they are implying when it comes to DK, writing the Feb 4th cheque is not one of them.

You said that it was the defense's theory that DK wrote that cheque on the 4th, when in fact it's not their theory. Their theory, according to their opening statement was that JM did that and then called Chase afterwards, like they did on the previous days in February. That call never connected for whatever reason (we don't know why and won't until we hear from cell phone experts).

It may be a requirement for you to believe that DK had anything to do with the killings, or was framing CM, but it is not the defenses theory.

No. I never said that the defense believed that DK had anything to do with those checks. My contention is that the defense will claim that the check writing and the murders are unrelated-other than the possibility that DK felt he was being pushed out, and killed to gain the business and monies within.

I don't think the defense is claiming Chase was even framed, only that investigators misinterpreted the meaning of the digital forensic evidence.

I get the feeling that there were some issues-but those exist in every family. I do think that even if there had been some rifts, the family and close friends would have been a goldmine of information as to the McStay's habits. There are a number of cases where I wish LE would mine this information more fully while memories are fresh, and bias hasn't yet set in.

Wasn't it Summer's brother that was in the Equusearch video's? IIRC Mike said he was their nanny or something like that... so he would have been the perfect person to ask those sorts of questions.

That also seems possible. I guess I'm leaning toward morning because of the way the beds look and the state of the kitchen as first seen.

Trying to remember why I lean toward evening:

—phone calls stop being made
—much easier to move bodies under cover of darkness. (Of course, they could have been killed at one time, and transported out at another.) Reason for thinking they were killed at home—all the house-painting stuff that ended up in the graves.
—check made out on home computer, that evening, that’s not consistent with JM’s style
—the infamous security camera info

Wasn't it Summer's brother that was in the Equusearch video's? IIRC Mike said he was their nanny or something like that... so he would have been the perfect person to ask those sorts of questions.

Yes. I thought the same thing. I don't remember his name either, but he might have had a lot of insight to offer.

Are you talking about SD? If I misspoke about that particular case, I'm sincerely sorry.

I didn't think they charged him with committing credit card fraud because it was a federal crime since he did it via the internet. Did the feds try him later?

I'm on the way out now, but there have been other cases where they didnt include all charges.

I can look it up when I have more time.

yes! I looked it up because I wanted to see the circumstances to better understand why they wouldn't have charged him with anything else, but found that they had LOL

I am curious because I have followed a ton of cases and I just cannot think of any where the accused wasn't charged with minor crimes along with murder just because it might have taken an extra day in court. If there are no charges filed, or charges are dropped, it's been my experience that it's because the evidence didn't prove it.

I have never found I learn anything if everyone in the room agrees with me. When everyone agrees thoughts expressed are just echoes. I like my ideas challenged. No one has to be working for the defense or the DA to have a strong opinion. I only comment on subjects I have researched as fully as I can. I'm here because this case drew me in that deeply. I've been studying the evidence for years. No agenda, other than a wish to discuss the case.
Okay! I am sorry. I did mean it that way but kinda didn't mean it that way? Just blurted it out. But I am over it. Do enjoy the discussion, though.

Early in this case I would have thought this as well, but given how Summer felt about Chase, would she really have consented to going with Joey on this mission?

Maybe someone lied to the McStays, told them Joey's mom was hurt....

If they were lured out, how?

When my kids were younger... sometimes going for a drive was a good thing... and provided me with a break if they were in carseats LOL I am not thinking it was going to be a long meeting, just a hand over of some papers, and not like they were going to hang out!

Ok... that made me really laugh out loud hahaha

I have had a terrible day... got a call this morning, my youngest was in a car accident... he is fine (gonna be sore), but he called crying (my big manly 18yr old baby lol) and my nerves are just now starting to calm down... 8 hours later lol So after a terrible day and trying to catch up here, this made me laugh, so thank you!

I sure hope the accusations that someone is working for the defense team just because their view is different isn't going to be the norm, JMO and all... but I don't want this forum to get shut down because of it.
Nor do I. Temporary lapse in judgement. It's all good.

I am going to have a very hard time believing that Joey wrote that check on the 4th. There is nothing that explains why he would suddenly change up his perfectly good accounting practices, and suddenly tell Chase to begin writing himself checks and backdating and deleting them. Even Chase didn't have an explanation ready for that.

If Joey had really told him to do so, he would have had an explanation for the detectives. But he didnt.

Joey had NEVER EVER written checks from that custom account. That practice began on Feb 1st, but NOT from Joey's home computer. It began with Chase.

Why would Joey give that check for 200 bucks to Chase if he had just told him to write himself one for 2500?

Why would Joey want those check notations deleted? That Custom Account was set up[ specifically to track monies owed to Chase. Why delete payments made to him?

No. I never said that the defense believed that DK had anything to do with those checks. My contention is that the defense will claim that the check writing and the murders are unrelated-other than the possibility that DK felt he was being pushed out, and killed to gain the business and monies within.

I don't think the defense is claiming Chase was even framed, only that investigators misinterpreted the meaning of the digital forensic evidence.

I'm confused... that post wasn't a reply to you? LOL

But yes, after listening to the OS's again last night, I agree with you, the defense is saying they are unrelated, they aren't even blaming DK for writing the cheques. They are however heavily implying that it was DK who was looking at the QB's online (not doing any cheque writing), prompting Joey to make some changes.

I'm confused... that post wasn't a reply to you? LOL

But yes, after listening to the OS's again last night, I agree with you, the defense is saying they are unrelated, they aren't even blaming DK for writing the cheques. They are however heavily implying that it was DK who was looking at the QB's online (not doing any cheque writing), prompting Joey to make some changes.

Saying that the checks, created , deleted and backdated, and written to the payment of Chase Merritt, are unrelated to the family vanishing, is going to be hard to sell to the jury, imo.

I am going to have a very hard time believing that Joey wrote that check on the 4th. There is nothing that explains why he would suddenly change up his perfectly good accounting practices, and suddenly tell Chase to begin writing himself checks and backdating and deleting them. Even Chase didn't have an explanation ready for that.

If Joey had really told him to do so, he would have had an explanation for the detectives. But he didnt.

Joey had NEVER EVER written checks from that custom account. That practice began on Feb 1st, but NOT from Joey's home computer. It began with Chase.

Why would Joey give that check for 200 bucks to Chase if he had just told him to write himself one for 2500?

Why would Joey want those check notations deleted? That Custom Account was set up[ specifically to track monies owed to Chase. Why delete payments made to him?

I don't have an answer to your questions katy, this is what the testimony should show.

ohhhhhhhhh I have finally caught up! LOL thank goodness! You all posted lots today!

I can't wait for the whopping 4.5 hours of testimony tomorrow ... providing they start on time, Maline isn't late, they don't take 2 hours for lunch and then finish a half hour early tomorrow because they ran out of witnesses again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro