Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. Not in the USA.
The percentage of mom's giving their children popcorn for breakfast is so low, you would be hard pressed to find any Mom doing that unless, they were extremely Poor.
Joey and Summer were NOT extremely poor.

Two toddlers, a healthy food easy to prepare and a diversion, popcorn is a 24/7 food when you have young children.

Well. In my opinion, all of the theories you put forth here have been debunked for close to 10 years.
For me. I choose to not chase the "maybe this happened, and maybe that happened".

What evidence is there that this occurred this way? Where is the neighbor who saw someone entering and leaving the home? Where is the evidence of someone staging any of this. For all we know Joseph drove the Trooper to the border and the family was abducted from someplace in that shopping mall.

What kind of a mom did she seem to be?

I doubt the popcorn was stale when it was first popped, at least I hope not. IIRC there was a popcorn bag in the kitchen, but can't recall if that is in testimony or not.

I agree though, it would have been stale by the 15th.
Actually I meant stale from being out all night. Does anybody here really make popcorn for breakfast? Ever? So if it were old popcorn from the night before, the evening of the 4th, the kids didnt finish it. But then again the whole crime scene was completely staged so who knows?

I so agree with your post here.
I am just broken hearted for All of these innocent murdered, probably tortured 4 family members.
Trying to think about what the murderer did to each and everyone of these innocents fills me with more sadness then anger. HOW Can a human being do this?
It scares the heck out of me. Who can you trust?

I agree.

Imo what has been entered to date does support the state's theory that they were all murdered in their home.

The gravesites yielded quite of a lot of evidence supporting they were all murdered inside of their home so I can definitely understand why the state is of this belief.

It's all based on the supporting evidence. I think most of the jurors will agree once they are allowed to look at all of the evidence in its totality.

Imo, no other location lines up with anything else based on all of the evidence thus far..

Unforunately, sometimes ALL of the luck seems to be on the side of the murderer. In this case it was bungled from the start by the prior police who believed this was only a missing persons case, and not that all of them had been killed in cold blood in that home.

This isn't the only case where blood evidence wasn't found or where no physical evidence was left behind by the killer. It has happened before, even though LE was sure it had happened inside of the home.

The sad reality is if the biker hadn't gone into the area when he did, this would more than likely would have remained a case where LE assumed all of them left willingly.

At least that was finally discounted, and the truth came forward instead at long last.

Being a very spiritual person myself with deep faith, I believe it was divine intervention that lead the biker to the right area that day.

I knew once they were finally discovered, one day they would also discover who had done this to them. It was just a matter of time.

No one lost more than Joey, Summer,and their precious little boys, along with Joey's oldest son who was robbed of a very loving father. I often think of Jonah, and it makes me so sad.

CM not only took their lives from them, he destroyed all the wonderful things that were happening in their lives at the same time.

A once in a lifetime opportunity had come true where Joey knew he would be able to fully support all of them, and be able to send his three sons to a very good college when they became of age.

It really is such a heartbreaking tragedy in so many ways.

To be on the top of the world one minute, and then all of them discarded in the desert like pieces of trash is gutwrenching to even think about.

Imo

Sorry. Not in the USA.
The percentage of mom's giving their children popcorn for breakfast is so low, you would be hard pressed to find any Mom doing that unless, they were extremely Poor.
Joey and Summer were NOT extremely poor.

Seriously? popcorn is only for extremely poor people? Have you ever gone to a movie and paid for popcorn? Pretty much need to take a loan out haha

Actually I meant stale from being out all night. Does anybody here really make popcorn for breakfast? Ever? So if it were old popcorn from the night before, the evening of the 4th, the kids didnt finish it. But then again the whole crime scene was completely staged so who knows?

The popcorn wasn't found until 11 days after the 4th, or 10 days after the 5th... it was going to be stale.

I don't and I don't recall ever giving my kids popcorn for breakfast, but I also didn't give them chocolate pop tarts and lots of parents do, or any kind of chocolate cereal or really sugary cereals, but other parents do. My 26 year old daughter had popcorn for breakfast last week... I was even teasing her about it, she said "hey, it's better than most things I could have had"... hard to argue with that if you look at the nurtitional value of most cereals lol What you or I may do really doesn't tell us what Summer would do. What very little I know about Summer is that not everyone agreed with her parenting, maybe it was because she fed them popcorn for breakfast, who knows?

Popcorn is actually pretty healthy. And how funny that when I google popcorn for breakfast, there are endless sites talking about just that!

here is just one example of a mom realizing that popcorn was actually healthier than the muffins she was going to feed her kid:

Popcorn: It's What's for Breakfast - Diary of a Working Mom

Hey Everyone,

Remember we do not allow you to discuss other posters. I will be giving TO's to the posters who are discussing whether a certain member works for the defense team. Please do not bring it up again.
The topic is the trial not the posters on Websleuths.
Thank you,
Tricia

Something that always stood out to me, was the fact that they supposedly "ran off intentionally," WITHOUT taking their double stroller and also (I believe reading) the diaper bag. And WHY, would they not drive into Mexico, in their own car, instead of parking it and walking across? Or not access the money, in their bank accounts?
I read an interview with JM's father and if I'm remembering correctly, he said that JM made a large bank depo on the 4th. I suppose that he could've been abducted during a robbery, by a mysterious stranger, who took the chance of going to his home. But that wouldn't explain the forged, back dated checks going into CM's acct or his ph. call to Quickbooks, impersonating JM, his lies about exactly where he was, lying to and stealing from SB and what he was doing on Feb. 4, 2010. And what's really telling, is his vitriol towards SM. He doesn't even have the common sense to pretend to feel badly, during interviews.

As, we all go through, the reasons that this entire family was brutally murdered.
Please remember that the McStay family were not into the drug trade,
They were an ordinary family with a business of selling waterfalls.
That's it.
They had a very loving family. Who never in their wildest dreams would think that they would all be bludgeoned to death and discarded like trash in the California dessert.
This crime is so heinous. It leaves me nearly speechless.
Do I think that Chase Merritt committed this awful crime?
Yes, I do.
I pray for justice for the families of Joey, Summer and their innocent 2 boys.
As a resident of very liberal California . I pray even more.

This whole popcorn thing?
I wouldn't be giving popcorn to a 3 year old without supervision, ie., choking hazard, but some parents like to live on the edge.
Seriously, popcorn for breakfast but Summer is going to want her children to use a fork for pizza, as it's been claimed.
Wasn't there a wine glass on the counter?

Well. In my opinion, all of the theories you put forth here have been debunked for close to 10 years.
For me. I choose to not chase the "maybe this happened, and maybe that happened".

I cannot speak for other posters who are introducing new possibilities, but I am attempting to view the evidence as a current juror. Those of us who have followed this case know that almost every possibility has been discussed and either determined possible or not possible. We've had 8+ years to research associates, family, friends and the random Craigslist painter. The jurors will only be allowed to consider what is introduced during the trial. They can't pick up a computer and figure out who is a liar and who is credible or the unsavory things that have occurred in the life of a witness or defendant. They won't be allowed to discuss it for even a year, let alone 9.

That's why I think it is important to stick to what is asked and what is presented in the courtroom. What those of us on this forum have decided, up to this point, is irrelevant. We are interested in viewing this trial objectively and evaluating what each side presents from a neutral position. If the jury doesn't understand the QB presentation or the phone ping evidence, etc. or has difficulty putting the pieces together then the Prosecution needs to step up their game. I don't believe, at this point, they have proven Guilty BARD. If they were to take a vote today I predict it would result in a hung jury (at best).

Something that always stood out to me, was the fact that they supposedly "ran off intentionally," WITHOUT taking their double stroller and also (I believe reading) the diaper bag. And WHY, would they not drive into Mexico, in their own car, instead of parking it and walking across? Or not access the money, in their bank accounts?
I read an interview with JM's father and if I'm remembering correctly, he said that JM made a large bank depo on the 4th. I suppose that he could've been abducted during a robbery, by a mysterious stranger, who took the chance of going to his home. But that wouldn't explain the forged, back dated checks going into CM's acct or his ph. call to Quickbooks, impersonating JM, his lies about exactly where he was, lying to and stealing from SB and what he was doing on Feb. 4, 2010. And what's really telling, is his vitriol towards SM. He doesn't even have the common sense to pretend to feel badly, during interviews.

I just read that yesterday I think, about the deposit.

P. MCSTAY: Morning of the 4th and I spoke Joey on the phone.

KAYE: But he didn't let anything was wrong...

P. MCSTAY: No, nothing was wrong.

KAYE: ... on your last conversation.

P. MCSTAY: You know, everything is fine.

KAYE: In fact things were better than fine. Joseph had just received a big paycheck for one of his fountains, $16,000.

P. MCSTAY: He was going to go to the bank and deposit a check. There was a branch of the bank right there at Rancho Cucamonga by where Chase lived.

CNN.com - Transcripts

I am still a bit unsure about what Patrick says though... is he assuming he was going to the bank in RC... or is that what Joey told him... or does he know that he went there after the fact (after looking at statements)

If Patrick knew about the RC meeting when he spoke to him that morning, and if it was a planned lunch, it seems to me that Joey might have mentioned something to his Dad if there was a problem or if he was going to fire Merritt or whatever. But he says everything was fine.

I cannot speak for other posters who are introducing new possibilities, but I am attempting to view the evidence as a current juror. Those of us who have followed this case know that almost every possibility has been discussed and either determined possible or not possible. We've had 8+ years to research associates, family, friends and the random Craigslist painter. The jurors will only be allowed to consider what is introduced during the trial. They can't pick up a computer and figure out who is a liar and who is credible or the unsavory things that have occurred in the life of a witness or defendant. They won't be allowed to discuss it for even a year, let alone 9.

That's why I think it is important to stick to what is asked and what is presented in the courtroom. What those of us on this forum have decided, up to this point, is irrelevant. We are interested in viewing this trial objectively and evaluating what each side presents from a neutral position. If the jury doesn't understand the QB presentation or the phone ping evidence, etc. or has difficulty putting the pieces together then the Prosecution needs to step up their game. I don't believe, at this point, they have proven Guilty BARD. If they were to take a vote today I predict it would result in a hung jury (at best).

BBM .... THIS!

I have actually started a document tonight to try to keep track of the witnesses ... with all these off days, it's going to be hard to remember who testified about what and when! I am making my own notes (and putting existing notes in order lol) about what that person testified to that stood out to me, and so far, I have found with this trial, sometimes it's not what is said on direct but what is brought out on cross!!! I know it happens, but it seems to be happening a lot in this case ... even if something isn't helpful to the case, I think it's important that the prosecution brings it out and not the defense, even for 'appearance' purposes. It makes it look like the prosecution doesn't want information brought in, and of course it is info that doesn't match their theory.

I didn't hear any lies. Or anything that has been proven to be a lie. Most of what he said has been proven correct. He forgot his home address. He forgot the address to Metro. His memory was off a little. But I don't recall anything being said that has been shown to be a lie, as opposed to failure to recall.
He lied when he said he met up with Joey to get the checks. Checks that weren't written until the 5th by him.

I have considered that they met Chase half way... remember Chase said that Joey had some drawings with electrical plugs that he had left home that day, it was what one of the afternoon calls was about (according to Chase)... He also said in his first interview that they sometimes met half way ... so maybe they met half way so Joey could give Chase these drawings or whatever they were and he took Summer and the kids with.
Wow, excellent help JMO ...

I just read that yesterday I think, about the deposit.

P. MCSTAY: Morning of the 4th and I spoke Joey on the phone.

KAYE: But he didn't let anything was wrong...

P. MCSTAY: No, nothing was wrong.

KAYE: ... on your last conversation.

P. MCSTAY: You know, everything is fine.

KAYE: In fact things were better than fine. Joseph had just received a big paycheck for one of his fountains, $16,000.

P. MCSTAY: He was going to go to the bank and deposit a check. There was a branch of the bank right there at Rancho Cucamonga by where Chase lived.

CNN.com - Transcripts

I am still a bit unsure about what Patrick says though... is he assuming he was going to the bank in RC... or is that what Joey told him... or does he know that he went there after the fact (after looking at statements)

If Patrick knew about the RC meeting when he spoke to him that morning, and if it was a planned lunch, it seems to me that Joey might have mentioned something to his Dad if there was a problem or if he was going to fire Merritt or whatever. But he says everything was fine.

I was wondering why Joey wouldn't have deposited the check
near Fallbrook or was he picking it up in RC on the 4th?

By the time Mr. Miller walked through the home items had been taken. The home was not in the original state it had been when found.
If I remember correctly, he seemed to be shaking his said, saying something like "this is wrong", or "something is not right" and heaven knows, by that time he had been to many, many crime scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required