CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I would say he doesn't have an alibi that I know of ;-)

OK! The reason i think this could be key is that the defence case is DK did it. But if DK has some alibi evidence, I think the defence case could quickly be on the rocks, unless CM is going to start building his alibi in 2019.

Just because she couldn't get a hold of him, doesn't mean she didn't know where he was, I don't have evidence of that. Hopefully she will testify and if she recalls she can tell us herself! I have been able to get a glance at the cell records, there were other times calls went to VM's with no tower info and until we see his full records, I don't know that it was even out of the ordinary.

Agreed she may have known, but the volume of calls suggests she needed to get hold of him.

I too am looking forward to finding out why that was!

Just as an example... I can know where my husband is, but his phone for some reason isn't connecting and I have to leave a VM, it doesn't mean I don't know where he is, it means I couldn't get through on his cell. (This happens more than you know lol When he goes out to nowhere Saskatchewan and can't get cell service, but he's learned over the years to always text me where he is before he leaves the city - good man, cuz I'm a worrier lol)

I'm inclined to think that his cell phone was off, but I just don't know that right now. And because I can see some serious issues with their cell service, I just don't know yet. Even listening to the Chase interview, when he calls her, it takes 3 times to get connected. They lose connection, they can't hear each other, and then finally they connect.

All JMO :)

I think the volume of calls suggests an urgent need to talk to Chase. He called her as soon as he turned back on at 9,30 pm - that is my inference anyway.

Maybe half true. They verified Joseph's phone pinged a tower in RC near CFL. It's never been verified if either one was at the restaurant.

Now that I think about it, Dailymail never took Merritt's picture inside. I wonder if that Merritt didn't want to or for legal reasons CFL wouldn't allow.

FWIW, I recall in one of the documentaries (I think produced after CM was arrested) Dugal said he confirmed they were at Chick Filet. Don’t remember if he said how it was confirmed.

I would agree, as evidence is presented, that presumption of innocence will be impacted, but wouldn't it be important to the concept of due process, to hear all the evidence before coming to a determination?

Isn't a fair trial predicated on the belief that it is only with the totality of the evidence that we can make a fair and impartial determination as to guilt?

Since you are so convinced that CM had nothing at all to do with these murders, do you care to explain away his phone pinging at the burial site?

FWIW, I recall in one of the documentaries (I think produced after CM was arrested) Dugal said he confirmed they were at Chick Filet. Don’t remember if he said how it was confirmed.

I don't think he said this in testimony?

the way to confirm it would be that Chase "was almost sure" Joey paid with a card

But we haven't seen this exhibit yet?

Yes, here is a snip from some testimony weeks ago LOL I can't recall who's it was... maybe phone dudes?
To piggy back off your screenshot, I'm assuming the that the numbers to the right of the given times is the duration it took for his phone to connect to a tower and indicates signal strength? So for example, 0.0009 is when he was at CFL and other, 0.2724 is when he was driving. The 8:27 call shows up as .0712, perhaps this indicates the phone was outside the home.

Yes. Many things Chase has said have checked out. He said Joey gave him checks on the 4th-Chase had checks. He said he never drove the Trooper, that appears to be true given where his DNA is and where it is not. The pattern of QB activity and the fact that Joey never alerts his bank or authorities to theft, yet we know he accessed his accounts that week, would indicate that Joey was fine with Chase's check writing.

Seen in a certain light, Chase's credibility is rock solid.

If Merritt's credibility for truthfulness, (I chuckle even putting CM, and the word truthfulness together) was rock solid then his alibi would also be rock solid.

However, people who have verified rock solid alibis are ruled out as having no involvement in crimes, because their alibi when verified is found to be rock solid, instead of being ruled in as the murder suspect.

If the evidence found by the investigators found CMs credibility to be rock solid we wouldn't be here following his death penalty murder trial.

Imo

Yes they can. And a random killer can also be responsible.
JMarsh, Please ignore this if you've already addressed this! However, I know that you've mentioned a random killer could be a possibility here. I'm curious about this. Are you positing this as simply an alternative idea because you believe there isn't much evidence (that's been presented up to this point in the trial) pointing to Chase, or are you positing this possibility because you think some evidence points to it? Could you elaborate? TIA.

If Merritt's credibility for truthfulness, (I chuckle even putting CM, and the word truthfulness together) was rock solid then his alibi would also be rock solid.

However, people who have verified rock solid alibis are ruled out as having no involvement in crimes, because their alibi when verified is found to be rock solid, instead of being ruled in as the murder suspect.

If the evidence found by the investigators found CMs credibility to be rock solid we wouldn't be here following his death penalty murder trial.

Imo

I think Chase has a good quality defence team but I do wonder if this is an area where he has sold them a hospital pass.

Often one relies on the "it wasn't me" strategy - but the defence has leaned heavily into the DK did it idea

What happens if DK has a decent alibi?

Yes. Many things Chase has said have checked out. He said Joey gave him checks on the 4th-Chase had checks. He said he never drove the Trooper, that appears to be true given where his DNA is and where it is not. The pattern of QB activity and the fact that Joey never alerts his bank or authorities to theft, yet we know he accessed his accounts that week, would indicate that Joey was fine with Chase's check writing.

Seen in a certain light, Chase's credibility is rock solid.

Rock solid? Which light would that be?

Have we seen any check from the 4th that was cashed that wasn't backdated?

So no activity between 1:13 and 2:04 (those numbers seem ominous :eek:). This seems to narrow things a bit more.

Do we have a time for the bank deposit yet?

Which deposit? Joey depositing the cheque for 16K? We do not. I also have not heard anything about a deposit that day in the trial at all. I do believe that each of these internet accesses had tower info, but I'm not sure, I just had that screenshot lol

No alibi and definitely being in Fallbrook are 2 different things to me.

At this point, I don't even know if Jarvis was home that evening. I can see calls that she made to him, but no testimony about where she was. Was she at home when calling him? If she was... then I can at least assume he wasn't if she was calling him, but I don't know that yet, do you?
What if her phone pinged in Mira Loma as wello_O

It will be interesting if these are all human intervention or whether some are apps?

e.g email?

True! Because when I caught a glimpse of Joey's cell records for the 4th, there were internet access times that were at 2 hour interval's all night, my first thought was an email app being left open and it was checking every 2 hours ;-) I believe it was before this screenshot (higher up on the paper), I could see 2:35, 4:35, 6:35, 8:35, 10:35, 12:35 (can see the last 2 on the screenshot), but of course, email will only check every 2 hours if you are not active. If I go check my email, it will be exactly 2 hours after that last check.

I have wondered if the 8:27pm internet access time was an email check, which would mean he had last been active in his email at 6:27. Just a thought.

JMarsh, Please ignore this if you've already addressed this! However, I know that you've mentioned a random killer could be a possibility here. I'm curious about this. Are you positing this as simply an alternative idea because you believe there isn't much evidence (that's been presented up to this point in the trial) pointing to Chase, or are you positing this possibility because you think some evidence points to it? Could you elaborate? TIA.

I have always wondered if the process of renovating their home might have introduced Joey and Summer to persons they might not have normally allowed in their home. It is rare that people hired to do renovations kill those they work for, but the last time I was involved in this I found out after the fact that a number of the people I had in my home-who I was alone with-were ex-felons and one I discovered later was heavily using drugs while on the job. I had suspected something, but he was pretty functional.

I think about Jayme Closs and Jake Patterson. If Jayme Closs hadn't survived and had instead been buried and found years later, some distance away from the scene of the crimes, and there had been little to no forensics available, would LE ever have thought to look at Patterson? Or would they instead have combed through the family and friends of the Closs family, perhaps zeroing on someone who had some inappropriate sexual behaviour in their past?

Maybe this crime is so difficult to solve, because there is a somewhat random element to it? That the motive is not what we would expect?

I also think about the fact that up to this time the McStay's life flowed along headed in a positive trajectory. The changes in their life at the time they were killed were an increase in success and there is the separation of Joey from Dan as business partners, but the big change in their lives is location and what they were involved in doing in that house.

I recall it as he had pulled over and called her or pulled over while he was talking to her. But I did find this.

Exclusive interview: Mothers of McStays determined to find family - *Inquiry into Mexican travel discovered *FBI resources called in *Joseph McStay hadn't been well for months

Blake has an added concern. She said her son hadn’t been feeling well for a few months before the family disappeared.

“My son had been sick since last August and he’s normally a very healthy person,” said Blake. “He’s an excellent surfer and soccer player. I even went to the hospital with him to try and see what was wrong; we thought maybe it was stress.”

Blake described Joseph’s symptoms as something similar to vertigo and said he complained of feeling “woozy.”

When I last talked to my son, on February 4, he said he still didn’t feel good,” said Blake, adding that she has provided the Sheriff’s Dept with information she had on her son’s recent healthcare visits.
I still strongly suspect, CM had something to do with the mysterious illness. I'm reading PM's book right now and he mentions that JM got incredibly ill, on the way home AFTER meeting with CM. Hmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon