CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... just getting home from work and catching up!!!!!! THIS may be what the State needs. I am hesitant to assume what was said, and it doesn't sound like they heard the contents of the recordings in this hearing??? Thank god we will have the audio to at least listen to this hearing... I wonder if L&C still thinks that pulling out for a few days was "not a big deal" ... we would have missed all of this if we didn't have at least the audio!!!! I'm also glad that I was able to read the last tweet that Smith put the device lol Reading the posts after reading the tweets... I'm not so sure she has "turned" on him haha

Welcome back!

I think the state has far more damaging evidence to come besides Cathy's testimony.

I dont think she will be a hostile witness whatsover.
...well not for the state anyway! Lol

I have a keen interest in and research statement analysis techniques used to train law enforcement in interviewing skills.

If I can just show one example extracted from Chase's interview on Feb 17th with my own interpretation:

CM: I’ve never talked, before this, this happened to Joseph, I’d never, never talked to Dan ever.

He states something happened to Joey. What's important here is what he doesn't state, the expected, that Joey possibly went off, of his own accord. So I'm expecting him to state 'before Joseph disappeared'. It's not only about detecting lying, because people don't like lying and avoid it if they can to avoid the tells, so it's focusing on what statements reveal. Speech is very fast and automatic and it reveals what our knowledge is, often with unintentional leakage.

He then goes on to say -

Didn’t even, I mean I knew of his existence, I knew his role in Joseph’s business, I knew um that Joseph was almost, had almost paid him off and I think he was paying him $50,000 for his part of the business, I think that was the number..

He doesn't say has. He's stating knowledge that Joey is dead.

Another example I quoted yesterday was Chase saying he thought Joey paid for lunch by card and they could look that up. They would have had no need to doubt he met Chase for lunch at that stage so he revealed the possibility and I believe likelihood that he didn't meet Joey, because he had even given consideration to alibiing himself.

TBH 100%, I have doubt the Jury can "piece together" this case like we can on WS's. They can't search the internet, use maps, or even TALK about what has been presented so far.

I DO appreciate the details we get from various members here though. You are going over the case with a fined-tooth-comb, IMO.

Let's JUST hope they will use common sense with all of the "details" in this case.

That would be me. No cigs, no chardonnay, lousy coffee, lousy food. Bored to death. Nothing left but to chat to anyone who will listen. :D.

The only time I have ever heard of "planting a bug" in an inmate's cell was when he had an actual IRA member in custody who had planted a car bomb on a Judge in Ireland. He was in our custody for firing automatic rifles out of his Murrieta Home's windows, no joke!

The FBI, with a court order, "wired" his cell when he was x-ferd downtown. They wanted ANYTHING that came out of his mouth.

This actually took a lot of work to accomplish by our Dept. w/o anyone suspecting anything out of the ordinary.

He was later transported back to Ireland for killing the Judge.

Yes, I’m aware of the postings but then why did the detective “place devices,” if the phones and visitation rooms are routinely recorded?
Thinking they had to make special provisions because he was talking through glass partition and not the phone. I suddenly have a renewed interest in this case. Was starting to lose heart.

That would be me. No cigs, no chardonnay, lousy coffee, lousy food. Bored to death. Nothing left but to chat to anyone who will listen. :D.

I hear ya pretty lady! I probably would too, but I've never been in a jail my entire life!

So I think it's best we do all of the chatting, eating,and drinking while posting here. Plus we never get bored! Lol!

As bad as the live stream can be sometimes, and as annoyed as some (me haha) are that they pulled out for a few days.... when it comes back, we should pop into their chat and make sure they know that we are appreciative :) That way maybe they won't think no one will notice if they do it again lol

I tend to be pessimistic when it comes to the power of "just folks" to invoke any sort of meaningful change, but must admit that sometimes, being "vocal" about it, in a professional, non-hysterical way, can work wonders! :) A follow-up "Thanks for listening, we appreciate you" is also powerful stuff.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 3m3 minutes ago
#McStay - #BREAKING -EXPLOSIVE Hearing happening w/o jury present. We just learned San Bernardino County has been recording jail house visits from earlier this month with Merrit's family/friends using a digital recorder. Merritt had stopped using the jail phone that's monitored.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - Merritt had been talking through the glass at visits, avoiding the phone. Cathy Jarvis - Merritt's girlfriend at the time of the murders - her name was specifically mentioned by Sgt. Ryan Smith as to her placing recording devices in visiting area.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - Prosecutor Daugherty: We have evidence Charles Merritt attempted to sway Catherine Jarvis's upcoming testimony.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - Judge denies defense motion to exclude the recordings. They WILL be played for the jury at some point. Catherine Jarvis will testify for the prosecution.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 5m5 minutes ago
#McStay - Merritt's family that is in the gallery for this hearing just walked out.

I sure wish we had the video for this, but we'll happily take the audio when they post it!

Me tooooooo! My hubby was working in the jail a few weeks ago, he told me how tiny and cement like it is.... I know I always say a few days alone would be nice... but geesh! Nope, I would go crazy and they would want to put a muzzle on me haha

I tend to be pessimistic when it comes to the power of "just folks" to invoke any sort of meaningful change, but must admit that sometimes, being "vocal" about it, in a professional, non-hysterical way, can work wonders! :) A follow-up "Thanks for listening, we appreciate you" is also powerful stuff.

When I see the cam's back tomorrow, I will be sure to thank them in chat :) I'm not doing it until I see the cam there though haha

I think I have trust issues.... :D:D:D:D:p

Yes, I’m aware of the postings but then why did the detective “place devices,” if the phones and visitation rooms are routinely recorded?
Because he legally can.
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/new...nversations-may-be-used-to-convict/#case-3015

When you receive a call from an inmate, the pre- recording specifically states the call is recorded, when you visit an inmate (or participate in a "tele-call"), you sign (or say "yes") a release which includes the possibility that any conversation and or action may be recorded and that you acknowledge that possibility. Because recording by DOC *might* be random and NOT absolute, the recording might be compromised (chain of command) or of bad quality, LE CAN use their own recording devices.

The only time I have ever heard of "planting a bug" in an inmate's cell was when he had an actual IRA member in custody who had planted a car bomb on a Judge in Ireland. He was in our custody for firing automatic rifles out of his Murrieta Home's windows, no joke!

The FBI, with a court order, "wired" his cell when he was x-ferd downtown. They wanted ANYTHING that came out of his mouth.

This actually took a lot of work to accomplish by our Dept. w/o anyone suspecting anything out of the ordinary.

He was later transported back to Ireland for killing the Judge.

I just saw a state case a few days ago where the police put a recording device hidden inside a suspect's cell. He could talk to the guy in the next cell. He went into great detail how he had kidnapped, raped, and murdered the young woman.

He was found guilty, and either given LWOP or the DP. His conviction was in 2011 iirc. All of his appeals have been denied.

This is not something new by any means.

Jmo

In all of this news... is anyone else surprised that Cathy still goes to visit him???? LOL

I am, especially if she thinks he did it. :confused:
Depends...if she only went the once or more often. If these recording devices were only planted the one time, because they suspected he might say something to her about her testimony, then it sounds to me as if she didn't go that often.

In all of this news... is anyone else surprised that Cathy still goes to visit him???? LOL

I am, especially if she thinks he did it. :confused:

>modsnip - namecalling<. Just knowing what his past crimes are, she should have cut bait a long time ago, regardless of the children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members