CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is one thing I've learned in the decades of following trials it is to never try to guess what will be the most important evidence to jurors in any trial.

I cant even count the times we discussed on WS what we believed would be the most important factors to a jury only to find out how off base it turned out to be.

Many times when they spoke out it was something completely different to them that determined how they voted.

Jurors dont discuss the cases in depth for years on end before trial.

They haven't already formed their own biases on what they believe or disbelieve before becoming a sitting jury.

What we may think is highly important evidence to any of us often turns out to not be the case for juries.

It may be something we saw as insignificant yet it may have been the very piece of evidence that swayed them to vote G or NG.

Imo

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense atty Maline asking about a "family squabble" between Mike McStay and his brother's wife, Summer. It happened on July 4th, he's not sure if it was 09 or 08. Yesterday he said Summer said something about his kids.

DwkUrNFV4AAiD-S.jpg

0 replies1 retweet1 like

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 11m11 minutes ago
#McStay - Cross: Mike says he doesn't remember if Merritt came into the house on the 13th with him. He remembers opening the sliding glass door but doesn't remember him coming in. According to transcript Mike told Det. Dugal that he opened the door and "let Chase in".

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 59m59 minutes ago
#McStay - Mike talking again about how he took the computers from the house. Merritt is actively talking to his attorneys during this and searching through an accordion folder.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 54m54 minutes ago
#McStay - Cross examination of Mike McStay now over. Prosecutor up for redirect.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 45m45 minutes ago
#McStay - Merritt grabbed a pen, wrote a long note and is now showing it to his attorney. It's safe to say he is going to be very active in his defense.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 42m42 minutes ago
#McStay - Now recross by Maline.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 38m38 minutes ago
#McStay - Recross Do you remember telling Dep. Tingley that Chase Merritt hacked into your brother's account? Mike says he doesn't remember. Defense: You knew Dan Kavanaugh had a nickname of "Hacker Dan"? Mike says they knew him as a nickname of "Dan the Hacker".

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 37m37 minutes ago
#McStay - Mike McStay's wife sits on the front row of the gallery. She often nods her head yes or no to questions Mike is being asked. Mike doesn't appear to ever look at her, however.

Snipped quote

Months? How long is this trial supposed to go on? I been watching here and there but I dont think I can commit to MONTHS!

Also I saw someone posted all the thread from the Mcstay case are gone now? Why? I had searched for them once and didnt find them so I knew my post were missing but I didnt know all of them were.

I thought I read they expect it to take 4 months but I could be mistaken.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - That's it for Mike McStay. He is subject to recall. Morning break.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
athy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense asking the state to notify them of the next day's witnesses throughout the trial. Judge agrees.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 18m18 minutes ago
#McStay - Prosecutor has 3 more witnesses ready to testify today (I doubt we'll get through all 3), one of whom is San Diego County Det. Michael Tingley

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - Bruce Carter is on the stand. He was security for the mall where the McStay's Isuzu Trooper was towed from on the Mexico Border.

DwkkSHtVYAANMlC.jpg

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

Amanda on Twitter
Amanda‏ @1BKRapaBitch 11m11 minutes ago
Not sure the point of this line of questioning/ Testimony. We know the Trooper was dumped in the parking lot in San Ysidro & we know when. What can this wit offer? This is a waste of time! #McStay

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#McStay - Prosecutor Imes asks Carter about public transportation near the parking lot where the family's vehicle was abandoned. A stop for MTS - bus system, is very close by.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - That's it for Mike McStay. He is subject to recall. Morning break.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
athy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense asking the state to notify them of the next day's witnesses throughout the trial. Judge agrees.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 18m18 minutes ago
#McStay - Prosecutor has 3 more witnesses ready to testify today (I doubt we'll get through all 3), one of whom is San Diego County Det. Michael Tingley

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - Bruce Carter is on the stand. He was security for the mall where the McStay's Isuzu Trooper was towed from on the Mexico Border.

DwkkSHtVYAANMlC.jpg

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

Amanda on Twitter
Amanda‏ @1BKRapaBitch 11m11 minutes ago
Not sure the point of this line of questioning/ Testimony. We know the Trooper was dumped in the parking lot in San Ysidro & we know when. What can this wit offer? This is a waste of time! #McStay

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#McStay - Prosecutor Imes asks Carter about public transportation near the parking lot where the family's vehicle was abandoned. A stop for MTS - bus system, is very close by.
Who is Amanda1@BKRapaBitch? Her Twitter comments are being posted here. Is she MSM? Just someone expressing opinions?

If there is one thing I've learned in the decades of following trials it is to never try to guess what will be the most important evidence to jurors in any trial.

I cant even count the times we discussed on WS what we believed would be the most important factors to a jury only to find out how off base it turned out to be.

Many times when they spoke out it was something completely different to them that determined how they voted.

Jurors dont discuss the cases in depth for years on end before trial.

They haven't already formed their own biases on what they believe or disbelieve before becoming a sitting jury.

What we may think is highly important evidence to any of us often turns out to not be the case for juries.

It may be something we saw as insignificant yet it may have been the very piece of evidence that swayed them to vote G or NG.

Imo
Before the trial I had already formed a prejudicial bias against Merritt, now I’m starting to have doubts regarding his guilt. I would think an unbiased juror would be even easier to persuade. I would imagine the trial lawyers from both sides are monitoring this discussion as a sounding board, in order to get some insight as to how the trial is progressing and what jurors are thinking.

Last edited:
Defense was obviously trying to beat a dead horse in their cross of the Sentinel Security guy. The Isuzu was towed - plain/simple. ???

How fitting, that the defense attorneys come across as desperate and underhanded. Just like that filth they are representing. Merritt looked pretty nervous sitting there, when his team's sneaky tactics started unraveling and the camera was focused on him for that few minutes. Merritt and his lawyers are really hoping there's an idiot or two in that jury who won't be able see right through what they're trying to do.

How fitting, that the defense attorneys come across as desperate and underhanded. Just like that filth they are representing. Merritt looked pretty nervous sitting there, when his team's sneaky tactics started unraveling and the camera was focused on him for that few minutes. Merritt and his lawyers are really hoping there's an idiot or two in that jury who won't be able see right through what they're trying to do.
They're trying their best to get their client acquitted, what else would you expect?

They're trying their best to get their client acquitted, what else would you expect?

It's clear that the judge is losing patience with the the defense tactics. First, the defendant was allowed to stall the trial for as long as he did. Now, the defense has been trying to capitalize on the faded memories of the witnesses, hoping to portray them as dishonest or not forthcoming to the jury. Then, taking incomplete printouts/reports and thinking they can twist things however they'd like. I would be offended if I were sitting on that jury. The defense might as well just come out and declare that the jury are a bunch of idiots, in their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme