CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered about the family home too. Joy said upthread that the family home was visited by his brother, with no sighting by current residents.

Good idea about the VA hospital. I know they called hospitals in the first day or two, but they should do it again...and again. I don't know if HIPAA allows hospitals to give out information to family, but they probably would to the detective.

Could there be a possibility he's using fake ID ?

Here's my thing, why dress and be prepared to attend a business meeting or court (I don't remember which it was now) and just not go? Just mid-way be like "op, think I'm going to take a walk on a trail instead of doing my adult responsibilities."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't think it was a sudden decision, but planned. He had researched parts of SF early that morning. His wife dropped him off in Oakland and he went straight to the BART station instead of to the appointment at court. I don't think he had any intention of attending the meeting, but didn't want his wife to know his intentions, so he took his folder, with his hat and sunglasses hidden inside. But why, he intended to ditch the meeting we don't know. And other than an intent to end his life somewhere, I can't imagine what he was doing on that trail. I'm so sorry to say that, but I know the family fears it. :(

Hi all! Just a quick update to say that I'm at work today--and won't have much time to post until after 6 PM since I have to catch up on some things from last week. Please know that folks from the search are checking this page and running with your smart ideas, but I don't think any of them will be able to post--I'm the only one with a login, I think. I'll post more once I'm home from work! Thank you websleuths!!

Thanks Joy. I just went through the thread and I'm going to post a summary of what we know, questions and suggestions sometime this afternoon. Good thing I'm retired. :D You'll have your work cut out for you after your day job.

I'm a little confused as to the last time he was spotted, has it been in the last day or two, or was it just the same day he disappeared? TIA

ETA: One reason I'm wondering this, is because it seems if he wanted to really disappear he would likely leave that particular area where he must know that people are looking for him. Idk, just thinking.

Here's my thing, why dress and be prepared to attend a business meeting or court (I don't remember which it was now) and just not go? Just mid-way be like "op, think I'm going to take a walk on a trail instead of doing my adult responsibilities."

He must have wanted to leave for some time but forced himself to go on with the case. I did just that when I dropped out of college. I had felt for a long while that it wasn't right for me but kept going, pushed myself - until one day while cycling to college I surprised myself and took a turn and went to the park instead. Never went back.

I'm a little confused as to the last time he was spotted, has it been in the last day or two, or was it just the same day he disappeared? TIA

ETA: One reason I'm wondering this, is because it seems if he wanted to really disappear he would likely leave that particular area where he must know that people are looking for him. Idk, just thinking.

I think the sightings occurred all on the first day.

For those just joining us, here's a list from this thread of what we know from Joy, FB and MSM:

John was dropped off in downtown Oakland last Tuesday morning February 9 about 9:00 by his wife for a confirmed court appointment. He did not show up. This case has been ongoing for several years, and there was nothing new that would motivate him to disappear as far as is known.

He was seen on surveillance video getting on the 9:06 BART train to SF at the 12th St station, carrying a fat folder.

His computer showed an early morning search for public transportation to Sutro Baths and Baker Beach out by the Ocean in SF.

An Instagram photo taken Tuesday at 12:08 pm shows John walking on the Lands End trail near the areas he had searched.

Recently recovered street view photos from his computer show the Montgomery St BART station in SF, Sutro Baths, the neighborhood between 37th and 48th Ave (overhead photo), and a business on Sacramento St.

John has not used his phone (turned off or out of charge). No useful or surprising information was obtained from the phone company.

He has not used his credit card or accessed bank accounts. He is believed to have less than $100 on him.

He does not have a Clipper card for the transit system.

He has no known medical issues and is in good health. He can walk for long periods (double hip replacement).

Fliers have been distributed along the possible bus route (Geary St), at Ocean Beach, and many other locations.

The Lands End Trail and vicinity were searched. Coast Guard participated.

Hospitals have been contacted in person and given fliers.

SFPD and National Park Police have been asked to be on the lookout.

Video from BART stops in SF has not been obtained yet, despite efforts.

His childhood home near the Presidio was visited and a flier given to the current residents.

Skibaboo has made and updated a map, linked on this thread.

I think those are the facts so far. Feel free to add any actual facts.

For those just joining us, here's a list from this thread of what we know from Joy, FB and MSM:

John was dropped off in downtown Oakland last Tuesday morning February 9 about 9:00 by his wife for a confirmed court appointment. He did not show up. This case has been ongoing for several years, and there was nothing new that would motivate him to disappear as far as is known.

He was seen on surveillance video getting on the 9:06 BART train to SF at the 12th St station, carrying a fat folder.

His computer showed an early morning search for public transportation to Sutro Baths and Baker Beach out by the Ocean in SF.

An Instagram photo taken Tuesday at 12:08 pm shows John walking on the Lands End trail near the areas he had searched.

Recently recovered street view photos from his computer show the Montgomery St BART station in SF, Sutro Baths, the neighborhood between 37th and 48th Ave (overhead photo), and a business on Sacramento St.

John has not used his phone (turned off or out of charge). No useful or surprising information was obtained from the phone company.

He has not used his credit card or accessed bank accounts. He is believed to have less than $100 on him.

He does not have a Clipper card for the transit system.

He has no known medical issues and is in good health. He can walk for long periods (double hip replacement).

Fliers have been distributed along the possible bus route (Geary St), at Ocean Beach, and many other locations.

The Lands End Trail and vicinity were searched. Coast Guard participated.

Hospitals have been contacted in person and given fliers.

SFPD and National Park Police have been asked to be on the lookout.

Video from BART stops in SF has not been obtained yet, despite efforts.

His childhood home near the Presidio was visited and a flier given to the current residents.

Skibaboo has made and updated a map, linked on this thread.

I think those are the facts so far. Feel free to add any actual facts.

Excellent summary Lilibet! :tyou:

And here is the link to the Map

John Beck Case Map

Here's something I don't think we've discussed. The 9:06 BART train from Oakland would have arrived in SF at Montgomery St at 9:19 a.m. According to this spreadsheet that Joy posted early on the thread, the 38R bus would have arrived at 48th (at the beach) at around 10:00. John's photo on the Lands End Trail was taken at 12:08...about a two hour gap. The two hours could have been spent downtown, en route at a stop off (Sacramento St) or just hanging out at Sutro Baths, beach etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuxE8FLfPSmzvHVyJMg0NPNklYfxmzUkLDpB2oO2xk8/htmlview

To Lilibet & Skibaboo,
You are both AMAZING! Thank you for the summary & the map.

THANK YOU!

:yourock:

I think to fool whomever dropped him off. He planned not to go, he planned to go elsewhere.

Here's something I don't think we've discussed. The 9:06 BART train from Oakland would have arrived in SF at Montgomery St at 9:19 a.m. According to this spreadsheet that Joy posted early on the thread, the 38R bus would have arrived at 48th (at the beach) at around 10:00. John's photo on the Lands End Trail was taken at 12:08...about a two hour gap. The two hours could have been spent downtown, en route at a stop off (Sacramento St) or just hanging out at Sutro Baths, beach etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuxE8FLfPSmzvHVyJMg0NPNklYfxmzUkLDpB2oO2xk8/htmlview

The photo was posted at 12:08pm, but not necessarily taken at that time. Is there cell service in that spot? The person who took it could have taken it earlier, not had service at that moment to post to Instagram, and then later posted it once they sat down for lunch.

I think he may have committed suicide, sad to say. this court date may not have been significant, but maybe he was tired of the whole ordeal. he wanted to visit some places with fond memories first.

I hope this isn't true, for those that love him.

The photo was posted at 12:08pm, but not necessarily taken at that time. Is there cell service in that spot? The person who took it could have taken it earlier, not had service at that moment to post to Instagram, and then later posted it once they sat down for lunch.

Excellent point! I didn't think of that as I don't do Instagram. Thanks so much. :) I recall someone saying on FB that she can't get cell service there. So the photo could have been taken about 11:00 depending on how long it took John to walk that far after getting off the bus. That means that he probably didn't stop anywhere en route to the beach. JMO

ETA: I do need to check and see when the photographer said he took the photo.

I think he may have committed suicide, sad to say. this court date may not have been significant, but maybe he was tired of the whole ordeal. he wanted to visit some places with fond memories first.

I hope this isn't true, for those that love him.

This is my thought. With respect to Joy, I do worry he went that route with a few important papers in hand. The one thing that still boggles me is that he hid his hat and satchel (presumably in the folder?). Why bring his satchel at all if this was his plan? And why does he have his folder still in hand with his satchel on? Is it not large enough to carry the folder? And his folder was looking very bulky in that station photo...as a wife I think I would notice this and ask what was up. One more question...is the satchel of any significance to him? Something from his childhood maybe?

That Instagram photo is haunting to me. I cannot stop looking at it.

Have homeless shelters been checked? Could he have had a mental snap or possibly just go off grid for a while to regroup?

This is my thought. With respect to Joy, I do worry he went that route with a few important papers in hand. The one thing that still boggles me is that he hid his hat and satchel (presumably in the folder?). Why bring his satchel at all if this was his plan? And why does he have his folder still in hand with his satchel on? Is it not large enough to carry the folder? And his folder was looking very bulky in that station photo...as a wife I think I would notice this and ask what was up. One more question...is the satchel of any significance to him? Something from his childhood maybe?

Do you mean in the train station photo? I don't see a satchel, just a folder. I actually was wondering why he wouldn't have a satchel or briefcase of some sort rather than carry that bulky folder . Maybe I'm missing something though.

Do you mean in the train station photo? I don't see a satchel, just a folder. I actually was wondering why he wouldn't have a satchel or briefcase of some sort rather than carry that bulky folder . Maybe I'm missing something though.

In the photo taken at Lands End. He has it over his shoulder. It's not seen on the train station video, it's presumed it was in the folder along with his hat. I've seen it called a glasses case and a satchel. I think he has both and they are missing from home so could be either or he took both with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3