CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedestrian info for Golden Gate Bridge. It's complicated!

http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php

Thanks for this link. Yes, it is a little complicated. But what I understand is that bicyclists have 24 hour access to sidewalks and are allowed access 6:00 pm to 5:00 am through a gate controlled by security after being seen on camera. I don't see that pedestrians are allowed through that gate after 6:30 pm or before 5:00 am.

Pedestrians, including persons with disabilities using mobility devises such as wheelchairs, are allowed access ONLY on the East Sidewalk (side facing San Francisco). The hours vary seasonally as follows:
Pacific Standard Time: East Sidewalk hours are 5 am to 6:30 pm. Automatically-controlled gates close at 6:30 pm and reopen at 5 am.

It seems that a pedestrian would have to be off the bridge through the gate before it closes at 6:30 pm. It would be dark by 6:00 pm I think, but there would still be lots of car traffic. The same would be true when the sidewalk reopens at 5:00.

http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php

Did I miss what the pawn shop lead is all about? Joy, you mention it but I don't see any mention of it on the FB page. Thanks for coming back and feeding us information so we can try to help. Continue praying and hoping for John's safe return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I miss what the pawn shop lead is all about? Joy, you mention it but I don't see any mention of it on the FB page. Thanks for coming back and feeding us information so we can try to help. Continue praying and hoping for John's safe return!

BBM

I wondered if Joy meant pawn shop "idea" rather than "lead" because I don't remember anything about an actual lead either. Someone suggested checking pawn shops in case he was carrying a small item he could pawn. I think that's what Joy must mean. Maybe? :)

Another idea would be to call his insurance company (or maybe the detective can do this). Ask if there have been any claims filed on his insurance. Maybe his wife has a medical power of attorney and can get this information. Offices file claims electronically today and I feel sure something would already be in the system after a week.

Also I will spread his poster on Help Save The Next Girl organization if you don't mind.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Good Morning WSers! :seeya: I've consolidated Joy's replies to questions and suggestions from last night so that we have an easy reference to things already asked and answered. Her answers and comments are in bold. This post also includes her account of the Marin county SAR search of Lands End.

Check pawnshops, soup kitchens, shelters, hotels in the Presidio/beach area.
We've thoroughly covered hotels in the area, and we've been progressively working our way through soup kitchens and shelters. We have just started gathering information about pawn shops and expect to hit that next!

Check medical/psych offices on Sacramento and in the neighborhood.
Yes, we're working on this--just started so lots left to cover.

Ask the fire department to be on the lookout (BOLO).
done!

Canvass the Crocker Galleria near the Montgomery BART station.
good thought! Adding this to the list!

Check with the VA hospital near the beach.
done!

Ask a city councilman in the various areas to help with getting video.
The detective working the case now has BART video and is going through it, though he's deprioritzed it because we know that John made it to the park.

Staples, Office Depot, etc will do free flier printing.
I didn't realize that! (apologies if you've said it elsewhere!) I'm passing that along right away!

Send the video about John to the media.
We did do that, and I saw a little moment of it in one of the broadcasts.

Plan a public event to raise awareness about John and get media attention. Possibly in SF near the beach?
this is a good idea! thank you!

Post pleas directly to John on FB.
This is hard, because the family can't believe at this point that John would still be gone if it were within his power to return. That makes sense to me too. I know theoretically that human beings are complicated and that our behavior can be endlessly enigmatic and mysterious. I know it's never a good idea to be too definitive about the statement "he wouldn't do that", but, in this case, it's so hard to imagine that possibility with the person I knew. We wonder if he wasn't taking good care of himself and got dehydrated and disoriented, we wonder if he's on an involuntary hold in a mental institution. I think we're making sure that everything we post on the facebook page comes from the place of deep love for John that everyone in this family has, but I don't know if they'd be up for a post like that...

Has the Alameda PD detective been able to help getting surveillance footage from BART SF? Is he taking an active interest in John's case?
The detective working the case now has BART video and is going through it, though he's deprioritzed it because we know that John made it to the park.

Is the PI making any progress?
we actually wound up letting the PI go. No reason to go into detail, but he wasn't working at the level we hoped/needed. We are getting advice from 3 separate PIs about next steps, and considering hiring another investigator if we can find someone we think will be useful.

Did you ever get someone to look at video from the GG Bridge and vicinity?
No, and we're going to ask our APD detective about this tomorrow. A friend with connections to Marin Police has found out from them that there are no unidentified Golden Gate suicides from the past two weeks. I'm not sure, however, if this rules out the possibility of something happening during the night, when it's more difficult to see and a jumper might go unnoticed. I've heard pedestrians are no longer allowed on the bridge at night. Does anyone know whether this is true?

WSers' RESEARCH SHOWS THAT PEDESTRIANS HAVE TO BE OFF THE BRIDGE BETWEEN 6:30 pm and 5:00 am.

How did the search of Lands End, etc. go? Any word from the Coast Guard and NP police at the Presidio?
Will the SF Sheriff allow dogs to be used? If so, when and whose dogs?
Can you get permission to use drones, and do you have volunteers for that yet?
I have an update about all of this! I will post it momentarily! (See info about Marin SAR search)

Was the man who took the Lands End Instagram photo able to provide more photos when he got back home?
he was, but sadly the others are all landscapes--no other photos of John.

Did you find out anything yet about the reason for Sacramento St street view being in John's computer history?
Not yet, but we did canvass there today.

Has the VA hospital at 42nd and Clement been contacted?
yes! no luck so far, but they have our flyer.

INFO ABOUT MARIN COUNTY SAR SEARCH OF LANDS END:

Okay, websleuths! Sorry to be posting so late--the searchers didn't get back until 7ish and then we had a big information roundup. Here's the major update from today. The detective handling this case put in the request to Marin search and rescue, which is apparently one of the best search and rescue teams in the country. They combed the Land's End/Sutro Bath/ Baker Beach/Coastal trail area with dogs, including one of the best tracking dogs in the state. 60–70 people searching. Jet skis and a drone and people rappelling down to search along the cliffs.

No clues found. They have a very scientific method of searching and the man in charge said he feels safe eliminating the park. If he didn't feel sure they would come back tomorrow.

We are inclined to believe that the 12:30-1 PM sighting of John was accurate, and that he did follow the trail out of the Sutro Baths/Land's End part of the park. We've been talking to the people in the houses facing the 32nd Ave exit to see if anyone has front facing surveillance video that might have captured an image of John exiting the park. We haven't managed to make contact with anyone so far who could help us, but we left information at some homes where the residents were out.

We are doing a lot tomorrow, some of which I detailed in my earlier posts. One main focus is trying to get the APD detective who is handling the case to find video of pedestrians on Golden Gate Bridge--among the information we could glean from such video is whether or not he walked to Marin County. And then we are continuing to contact mental wards, psychologists offices and other businesses around the sacramento st sight, and making more progress on the pawn shop lead.

THANK YOU JOY!! You and John's team are doing great!

:yourock:

Skiaboo, very confusing because she actually mentions three locations. Zip 94044 is San Mateo which is far south of SF and Land's End. She also mentions Manor Drive which is a short street in San Francisco , 5.9 miles from Lands End, and then she mentions one block from Lands End. However if you note she says both "I live a block from Lands End" and "I used to live in Lands End." Something makes me think she doesn't currently live there and now lives south of Lands End at Manor Drive. A picture on he FB shows her on the Great Highway which runs between her stated location and Lands End.

Manor Drive is connected to Ocean Drive which leads to the Great Highway which takes you to Lands End/Sutro Baths. I tried variations of the zip code to see if she perhaps mistyped it (as we often do on our phones), but I couldn't find a close match that made sense. Manor Drive is 94132. I am really hoping she responds to the question by the Missing John Beck FB page as to when she believes her sighting to have been. I note this woman and I have one person in common on FB so if they don't get a response I am willing to make a try to do so.

Also I will spread his poster on Help Save The Next Girl organization if you don't mind.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I think your previous comment about HSTNG got lost in the shuffle, so I'm glad you brought it up again. I have had the privilege of interacting with Kenny Jarels of this organization on another case. He is absolutely tenacious. Although his efforts are mostly directed toward finding young women who have disappeared or run away, the FB page features missing people of all ages and has nationwide coverage. I'm saying all this so if family is reading here today they will know what this organization does. And this info might also come in handy for WSers on other cases.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheNextGirl/

http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

They have valuable advice for families of the missing:

http://helpsavethenextgirl.com/resources/victims-families/

The NS person lives in Pacifica.

It is not inconceivable that he could have walked there, either along the beach or a combination of beach and roads.

Skiaboo, very confusing because she actually mentions three locations. Zip 94044 is San Mateo which is far south of SF and Land's End. She also mentions Manor Drive which is a short street in San Francisco , 5.9 miles from Lands End, and then she mentions one block from Lands End. However if you note she says both "I live a block from Lands End" and "I used to live in Lands End." Something makes me think she doesn't currently live there and now lives south of Lands End at Manor Drive. A picture on he FB shows her on the Great Highway which runs between her stated location and Lands End.

Manor Drive is connected to Ocean Drive which leads to the Great Highway which takes you to Lands End/Sutro Baths. I tried variations of the zip code to see if she perhaps mistyped it (as we often do on our phones), but I couldn't find a close match that made sense. Manor Drive is 94132. I am really hoping she responds to the question by the Missing John Beck FB page as to when she believes her sighting to have been. I note this woman and I have one person in common on FB so if they don't get a response I am willing to make a try to do so.

If that's the case and he headed south, I wonder if he just kept going and is now outside the search area. Does anyone know if this is inside the search area? TIA

I am a FB noob, and can't find the comment you all are discussing.

I am a FB noob, and can't find the comment you all are discussing.

On the left side of every fb page visitors can leave messages. I believe the comment discussed here is there.

A suggestion to the very busy family to update the FB page with latest info about the Marin county SAR search of Lands End and other avenues the family is pursuing. I see people asking for updates. It's so neat that they care. :)

This is hard, because the family can't believe at this point that John would still be gone if it were within his power to return. That makes sense to me too. I know theoretically that human beings are complicated and that our behavior can be endlessly enigmatic and mysterious. I know it's never a good idea to be too definitive about the statement "he wouldn't do that", but, in this case, it's so hard to imagine that possibility with the person I knew. We wonder if he wasn't taking good care of himself and got dehydrated and disoriented, we wonder if he's on an involuntary hold in a mental institution. I think we're making sure that everything we post on the facebook page comes from the place of deep love for John that everyone in this family has, but I don't know if they'd be up for a post like that...

Please encourage them to try---my brother developed a habit of "going missing" over the past year and today, after not a word since November, he posted on Facebook. He is on the other side of the country. I'm not actively looking because he is missing by choice, but this shows that my brother is alive and is well (by his standards). It's worth a try.

Just throwing this out there & I mean no disrespect to the family or friends of JB's, but since it seems he's gone back to familiar places, could he be searching for a high school sweetheart or a childhood friend? I honestly don't think it's either one of those, I just hate to think that he'd leave this way without telling the ones most important to him anything, no goodbye, see ya later, nothing. I hate it, because I know how it feels. My great uncle took matters into his own hands after his sister, my grandma, passed. He couldn't deal with it I guess, but then that left us, me, my mom & my uncle (mom's brother) to deal with the leftover stuff, not that we too weren't mourning the loss of our mom & grandma too. At 1st you feel sadness that he didn't tell us how he felt, but then anger sets in & you're just mad at how inconsiderate he was & how inconsiderate suicide really is. I've thought to myself, during an overwhelming event or stressful day/week:month, I could just get in my car & drive as far away as I possibly could get, but my mind always goes straight to my kids & my husband & no matter what they don't deserve to have to go on through life burdened by me leaving & not knowing WTF happened to me; not that I'd get very far & if I did I wouldn't stay gone very long cuz I'd get lonesome or something. Many people who commit or who contemplate suicide don't think about or realize the affect it'll have on those left behind to deal with everything. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, that may or go away with time & or with the help of family & friends or even professional help.
I hope & pray for his wife, kids & grandkids sake that he just needed to figure things out on his own away from the hustle & bustle of the real world.

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee