CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is a great idea--we ran with it and made it a big part of today's work. We covered a ton of ground. No new breakthrough, but maybe something will come from one of the flyers down the road.

We are searching the Peninsula partially because it's ground we haven't yet covered, but also because we got a tip that may or not be accurate. Someone saw a man matching John's description near the Larkspur Ferry building 1 PM yesterday. She described his clothing and included a detail that is accurate but wasn't in the description, so it seemed possible. However the security guard at the Ferry Building reviewed the surveillance footage (not clear if it's from the ferry building or the ferries themselves) carefully and didn't see anyone who looked like John. She had several photos and she notified us about people who were in the neighborhood, so we trust her.

<respectfully snipped for space and focus>

Thank you so much for all of this! We have enlisted the help of a friend with PR experience. It has been invaluable!!

I'm so glad you were able to blitz Geary and the beach areas today with posters. Terrific that you already have a PR person. You are doing an amazing job with getting all of this organized!

I'm glad you are being realistic about the GG Bridge possibility (or even just the ocean). It's hard to think in those terms, but I've seen some sad surprises on different threads here. I've also seen some surprisingly good outcomes too, so never give up hope!

I'm a little confused because it sounded like you were connecting the Peninsula search with the tip from the Larkspur Ferry building which is on Sir Francis Drake Blvd in Marin county...opposite ends of the Bay. Am I reading that wrong?

I'll be keeping John and his family and dear friends in my thoughts and prayers.

A collection of the latest news reports.

"My father has never gone missing in his life and is not the sort of person to worry us unnecessarily," Beck daughter, Kate Kigudde, a diplomat with the U.S. State Department in Cyprus, said in a statement.

&#8203;http://kron4.com/2016/02/12/missing-alameda-man-last-seen-boarding-bart-train/

Emphasizing the importance of sightings from BART stops:
"Reports this week that 77 percent of online BART security cameras are non-functioning decoys doesn't help us in our search, but we are certain the authorities are using all technology available to find my father," Kigudde said.

&#8203;http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...k-For-Publics-Help-to-Find-Him-368686501.html

Laura Beck, his other daughter, said the family has hired a private investigator.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...missing-alameda-elderly-man-hope-bart-footage

Hi... I work on Geary, just a couple blocks from Powell St. station. BART does not have the best surveillance system, unfortunately, but almost all the surrounding stores have security cameras. There's been a big push by the city and the merchant's association to install high-resolution video cameras in the storefronts.

If he got off at Powell St BART, the closest 38 Geary bus stop is at the northwest corner of Geary and Powell - there was a stop at Geary and Stockton, but it's out of commission due to construction. Walking up Powell from Market to Geary, he would have likely been captured by a half-dozen or more cameras. There's also an exit from the Powell station straight into Westfield Mall, which I'm sure has a gazillion cameras inside.

Do you know if he used a Clipper card to pay for transit?

One random thought - many of the stores along Powell are large chains, and may have corporate policies regarding reviewing security footage. But, if I remember correctly, there's a little wine bar right behind that 38 bus stop. It might be easier to reach a manager or owner who could help you out. I'd expect them to have security cameras too.

If he is lost, or injured somewhere on the trails around Sutro Baths, it has at least been very unseasonably warm this week - the low tonight is around 50 degrees.

Wow. I'm shocked. This case is a very, very big deal (see also FTC link below) with many victims who apparently wanted to get rich in real estate.

From SFGate:
The FTC sued Beck and several other defendants in 2009, claiming they had scammed hundreds of thousands of customers. Collectively, consumers spent $92 million purchasing the John Beck System and an additional $175 million on personal coaching services for the system, the FTC claimed in its 2009 complaint.
In 2012, the FTC won a judgment for $479 million against all the defendants in a U.S. Central California District Court in Los Angeles. The court ordered Beck to personally pay $113 million.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...court-judgment-against-massive-get-rich-quick

He filed bankruptcy in 2012 and appealed in 2013. Tuesday was the most recent hearing in his appeal.

According to the SFGate article, his family doesn't seem to think he would take off over this.

In August, the District Court appointed a liquidating receiver to seize Beck&#8217;s assets, including two houses in Alameda, on Regent Street and Oleander Avenue.
Beck&#8217;s daughter, Laura Beck, said Friday that she did not believe the case prompted her father&#8217;s disappearance.

She said that shortly after he disappeared the family checked flight logs and found no evidence that he had absconded.
&#8220;His passport is here, too,&#8221; she said. &#8220;He&#8217;s not a devious person. I don&#8217;t think he would have been able to orchestrate something like that &#8212; my mom makes all his dentist appointments.&#8221;

Although I feel terrible for his family and friends, I have trouble imagining that John's disappearance could be a coincidence. It's very sad for everyone. I'm so sorry. :( I certainly hope he is found in good health.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Missing-Alameda-man-owes-113-million-in-federal-6828027.php

Hi... I work on Geary, just a couple blocks from Powell St. station. BART does not have the best surveillance system, unfortunately, but almost all the surrounding stores have security cameras. There's been a big push by the city and the merchant's association to install high-resolution video cameras in the storefronts.

If he got off at Powell St BART, the closest 38 Geary bus stop is at the northwest corner of Geary and Powell - there was a stop at Geary and Stockton, but it's out of commission due to construction. Walking up Powell from Market to Geary, he would have likely been captured by a half-dozen or more cameras. There's also an exit from the Powell station straight into Westfield Mall, which I'm sure has a gazillion cameras inside.

Do you know if he used a Clipper card to pay for transit?
BBM

My understanding from the FB page is that he does not have a Clipper card. I noticed someone asked that question earlier.

Thanks for your very valuable local information.

Question: was he in the military when he was younger to know where these two places were?

Question: was he in the military when he was younger to know where these two places were?

I'm not sure he needed to have been in the military to know where Sutro Baths or Baker Beach are. I think a lot of people in the Bay Area know about those places. Or am I missing what you mean? :)

Looking at the surveillance photo from BART he certainly looks pained and stressed. His face also seems quite red to me, I hope he did not have a medical emergency somewhere. Would that be a possibility, Joy? In his age many have high blood pressure. Have hospitals been contacted?

https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbe...2750541891000/583214408511280/?type=3&theater

Also, you were saying he might have boarded the train at 9:06 that morning, but what if he didn't? Could he have gotten on a different train instead? Or gotten on the 9:06 train, but got off at a different location?

Could he have taken cash with him and is in a hotel/motel somewhere?

Hopefully he'll be found soon!

Looking at the surveillance photo from BART he certainly looks pained and stressed. His face also seems quite red to me, I hope he did not have a medical emergency somewhere. Would that be a possibility, Joy? In his age many have high blood pressure. Have hospitals been contacted?

https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbe...2750541891000/583214408511280/?type=3&theater

Also, you were saying he might have boarded the train at 9:06 that morning, but what if he didn't? Could he have gotten on a different train instead? Or gotten on the 9:06 train, but got off at a different location?

According to earlier posts on the FB page, they did check the hospitals in the SF Bay Area. From what I can tell, his family and friends have done an amazing job thinking of all the leads they can follow. I'm impressed with their smarts and skill! But so far, they have no further leads.

I think they've established firmly that he actually boarded the 9:06 train. But yes, he could have gotten off anywhere or transferred to another train. I believe the Millbrae train could have eventually gotten him to the airport (SFO), although there is no evidence of an online airline ticket purchase. But the possibilities are endless, including being in a hotel somewhere outside the SF Bay Area.

May he be found today.

He does look red but that may just be from being busy walking in and out of crowds and trains, etc. Especially if he had to hurry to catch a train or got on the wrong one at first. I'm speculating , of course. I hope that's all that is .

http://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/historyculture/sutro-baths.htm

History of Sutra Baths.
Does anyone know if that is a popular tourist spot or just something locals know about ? I wonder if he had gone there before or had always wanted to . I also wonder if he may have a health issue and wanted to go there for that. I'm imagining a place where folks may go for mental or physical or spiritual ' healing' or ' cleansing' of sorts and he felt he needed to go do that . Is that a possible ? I believe it's closed down now but sometimes people still visit places for the atmosphere.

Hello! I think this is the clearest shot of him from the surveillance video, but he was seen boarding the 9:06 train. We are still trying to get ahold of the surveillance video from the stations he might have disembarked at--no luck so far.

It is possible that he could have taken cash with him, but he would have had to have withdrawn it a while ago--no recent significant withdrawals.

I hope he did not have a medical emergency. He was in good health.

I think the redness in the face might just be the camera/graphics. The man on the phone and the guy looking down to the right also seems to have a reddish tint to the face area. John looks like such a sweet and gentle man - and not the typical person who would be involved with those type of shady schemes. I hope he is found so he can continue to dote on his grandchildren.

Joy- you guys are doing a fabulous job! The FB page is nothing short of spectacular effort and communication! John is so lucky to have such great friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no sign of John yet as of this morning. I'm so sorry. :(

After researching, thinking, and sleeping on the FTC bombshell, here are my thoughts this morning.

First and foremost, a beloved husband, father, grandfather and friend is still missing. Everyone is hurting and scared.

Knowing about the FTC case and the bankruptcy is helpful, even though it's hard for John's family to have this publicized. It doesn't detract from the fact that they need him to be found. But it does give us information about John that we didn't have before. I think it's important to respectfully, but with no illusions, lay all the cards on the table, with the goal of finding John:

*His court case and/or bankruptcy are compelling reasons to either disappear or harm himself.

*He is (or has been) very intelligent and capable of complex and possibly "devious" planning, despite what his family has indicated.

*He made a ton of money in real estate and/or in selling his Free and Clear Real Estate System.

With this information, here are some thoughts and ideas:

*Even though he and his wife are living in a rather modest neighborhood (not the Alameda "Gold Coast"), there may still be money available to him. Where did all that money go? Off shore accounts? Accounts under a different identity? Hidden cash?

*He could have created a new identity, new credit cards, acquired another phone, and created false leads online (which would distract and buy time).

*He may have wealthy friends willing to help him disappear, perhaps in a private plane or boat.

*He may have ended his life in some manner.

Although it's hard to imagine that someone as devoted to his family as John is would leave them like this, on WS we know that people do things we can't imagine all the time.

The family has hired a PI, so some of these ideas may be part of the investigation already. In the meantime, of course, the local search needs to continue and leads need to be followed by family and friends. His daughters have done a very good job addressing the FTC case on the FB page. Some people will be nasty. Ignore them and stay focused. Think outside the box. I'm still hoping for a good outcome. Hugs to one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member