CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi--I've been alerted by a family member who *cannot post themselves because they do not* have a websleuths account that this hearing video is a year old. This is not the hearing he was scheduled to attend earlier this week.

*edited for clarity

Hi! I posted this below as well. I'm new here, so I apologize if re-posting is considered bad etiquette. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that I have been alerted by a family member that this video is from a year ago.

Thank you! Forgive my lack of familiarity with the etiquette here.
BBM

You're doing fine, Joy. Now I see the date! I guess I'm not fully into 2016 yet. :doh: But apparently the OP and others aren't either, so I'll try not to feel toooo clueless!

I can't clarify yet--we're trying to figure out what we should say publicly--but please know this article is *extremely* misleading.

I have to say, we have no experience in this kind of decision making and we're trying to get advice before we move. It's overwhelming. And I feel so deeply for John's family: knowing your father has disappeared and is in grave peril, knowing it's up to you and your family and friends to figure out what to do to find him, working tirelessly to make that happen? That is too great a burden already. I am so heartbroken that in addition to having to learn private investigation and media outreach skills on the fly, the family has been given the additional burden of crisis management.
BBM

We certainly do understand the problems with the media. :( We run across sloppy journalism all the time on various cases. But we can only use MSM (mainstream media) here on Websleuths, or information from Verified Insiders (which I believe you are working on becoming). The public FB page posts by admins are also OK, paraphrased and linked.

I think John's daughters have done a good job. My personal advice would be to stop talking about it publicly and let it fade out. It was only relevant here on WS as a potential window into John's thinking and potential actions. But that's been covered, even though it may have been based on misinformation (which a mod can edit if it's viewed as inappropriate). It's certainly up to family, but they don't owe explanations to us. We just want to see John come home safely. More hugs!

BBM

You're doing fine, Joy. Now I see the date! I guess I'm not fully into 2016 yet. :doh: But apparently the OP and others aren't either, so I'll try not to feel toooo clueless!

I'm also still in 2015. I actually had hope after listening to the court. I don't understand the jargon but it seemed positive.

Question for Joy - Was his lawyer expecting him to be in court that morning? Or did he just tell his wife that he was attending?

I really really hope John is just needing some time.

Do we need a map? I'm happy to make one if needed

Do we need a map? I'm happy to make one if needed

Oh! I bet a map would be very helpful! I've been to San Francisco several times but not enough to recognize the landmarks mentioned. (except the Golden Gate Bridge of course).

Oh! I bet a map would be very helpful! I've been to San Francisco several times but not enough to recognize the landmarks mentioned. (except the Golden Gate Bridge of course).

I'll get on it and have it done in the morning!

I find the timing of this article to be rather cruel. There is a family that is in pain trying to find a loving father and grandfather. There are two sides to every story. I know others may disagree, it's JMO.

People have harmed others in revenge events, for far less than this, although we don't know how much each person invested either, beyond the $39.95 and other costs mentioned in the article.

Perhaps other victims were going to be there that day, looking for him. I'm sure the police are looking at that angle too.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Missing-Alameda-man-owes-113-million-in-federal-6828027.php

Beck’s wife, Joyce Beck, said that “things were looking up” in the case at the time Beck disappeared.
“Even if it had ended — worst-case scenario — (we’d) accepted that and knew we had family to support us emotionally and financially,” she said.
Beck was a former real estate lawyer who may have owned many properties, his daughter said, though she believes none of them has buildings.
His family hired a private investigator Friday. They also organized a 60-person search party to scour parts of Alameda County, San Francisco and the Peninsula over the weekend.

It's certainly up to family, but they don't owe explanations to us. We just want to see John come home safely. More hugs!​

I'll admit this made me tear up a little. Thank you, from my heart.

Question for Joy - Was his lawyer expecting him to be in court that morning? Or did he just tell his wife that he was attending?
This is a good question! And it's one I have an answer for! He had a confirmed appointment for which he was supposed to be present. Confirmed by the court, so it's not just something he told his wife.

I really really hope John is just needing some time.
We're keeping our hopes pinned to that possibility too. Thank you for your concern. It means a lot.

I'm a little confused because it sounded like you were connecting the Peninsula search with the tip from the Larkspur Ferry building which is on Sir Francis Drake Blvd in Marin county...opposite ends of the Bay. Am I reading that wrong? .

Hi Joy, I had the same confusion as Lilibet. Was he spotted at the Larkspur Ferry terminal (Marin) or somewhere on the Peninsula? (So sorry if you've already answered this--I couldn't find it answered and figured it was important, if it was a legit sighting.)

Hi Joy, I had the same confusion as Lilibet. Was he spotted at the Larkspur Ferry terminal (Marin) or somewhere on the Peninsula? (So sorry if you've already answered this--I couldn't find it answered and figured it was important, if it was a legit sighting.)

I was wrong about the reason for the Peninsula focus today! It wasn't really because of the alleged sighting in Larkspur--we're now fairly certain wasn't an actual one, alas. It was mainly because it was one of the areas in the bay we hadn't covered at all.

FYI, here is the text of that alleged sighting.
I hesitate to send this because I cannot be sure but around 1pm today I was coming out of Farm Shop, a restaurant in Larkspur Landing, and a man who looked like John Beck nearly ran into me, he was clenching a piece of paper without paying attention to where he was going, and trying to read it and we nearly collided. He looked up, apologized, seemed about to say something else, I told him, no problem, and walked on. It bothered me slightly that he had seemed befuddled and maybe I should have been more inquisitive but by the time I got to Berkeley, I had forgotten about it. And then I saw the email that a man has been missing who resembled him. But frankly, I didn't take a close look at him, obviously, and it's probably a dead end. Good luck...

But, again, a security guard reviewed the surveillance footage from larkspur landing and sent John's daughter any possible matches--he was not on the video, unfortunately.

I'll get on it and have it done in the morning!

Thanks so much! I don't know if any of the individual map links I posted earlier will help with locations, but have a look if you haven't seen them already. A map with all the points of interest will be terrific! :)

I was wrong about the reason for the Peninsula focus today! It wasn't really because of the alleged sighting in Larkspur--we're now fairly certain wasn't an actual one, alas. It was mainly because it was one of the areas in the bay we hadn't covered at all.

FYI, here is the text of that alleged sighting.

But, again, a security guard reviewed the surveillance footage from larkspur landing and sent John's daughter any possible matches--he was not on the video, unfortunately.

On a positive note, it means people are aware that John's missing and keeping an eye out. And keep calling the hospitals, sometimes people are in the process of being admitted and aren't "in the system" at the time the initial call is made.

I hope John is found safe.
Sometimes we all get overwhelmed and distracted with our busy lives and wish to just run away. I really do hope that's the case. We are only human and we all make mistakes.

Maybe John doesn't want to be found. The federal government is after him for 113 million USD and they will never stop making his life a living hell. Is there also the possibility of a prison sentence?

Run John, Run. I hope he is in Paraguay, doing just fine.

John, if you are reading here, send your wife a note to let her know you are alive. Everyone at home is sick with worry. You friends are searching everywhere for you, they are desperate. Let everyone know you are alive!

I understand the appeal of this theory, and I imagine I would entertain it myself if I were in your shoes.

I think there's a misperception out that John was very wealthy--an assumption that there is a direct correlation between the amounts listed in the article and John's personal wealth. Please know that this is a false assumption. John does not have "start a new life in Paraguay" money.

I believe that the human brain is unimaginably complex and that each human mind contains many mysteries. I am generally skeptical of "he would never do that" statements. However, knowing John as I do, I think there is zero percent chance that he skipped town. I understand this is unlikely to convince anyone who does not know him. But I wanted to say it nevertheless out of justice to John.

EDITED TO ADD: i would be thrilled to be wrong, because it would mean he is safe.

Oh and this is a civil case. There is no possibility of a prison sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC