CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I'm new to this community, but I've quickly become a big fan.

We still have not succeeded in getting BART surveillance video from the stations at which he may have disembarked. We are primarily interested in the Powell Street station video, but we would also like to see Montgomery and Embarcadero.

We've exhausted early ideas. We would love any additional thoughts or ideas the websleuths might have!

(Oh, and we haven't determined whether the footage does not exist because the cameras are dummies, or because they just haven't granted us access to it yet.)

Thank you!
Gratefully,
Joy

I understand the appeal of this theory, and I imagine I would entertain it myself if I were in your shoes.

I think there's a misperception out that John was very wealthy--an assumption that there is a direct correlation between the amounts listed in the article and John's personal wealth. Please know that this is a false assumption. John does not have "start a new life in Paraguay" money.

I believe that the human brain is unimaginably complex and that each human mind contains many mysteries. I am generally skeptical of "he would never do that" statements. However, knowing John as I do, I think there is zero percent chance that he skipped town. I understand this is unlikely to convince anyone who does not know him. But I wanted to say it nevertheless out of justice to John.

EDITED TO ADD: i would be thrilled to be wrong, because it would mean he is safe.

You know John, so I'm going to set aside the possibilities I listed this morning, and just go with what you're saying. If he fled, he's probably safe. Local searching is more urgent.

If John does not have much money, do you think he could be at homeless shelters or renting a cheap room in Mission District SRO? http://sfhomeless.wikia.com/wiki/Category:SRO_Hotels

Leaving posters at shelters and in the Mission might be good. http://www.sfhsa.org/82.htm

He didn't appear to even have a jacket with him, so I can't imagine he'd be sleeping outside. Would he be able to persuade an old friend to let him lie low at their place for awhile? Have you been able to personally contact old friends?

Has his wife or daughter contacted hospitals again? Would he go to a VA hospital?

Don't forget personal pleas to John on FB by his wife and girls and even close friends or his grandchildren. What about the kids where he volunteers?

A well-publicized candlelight vigil or even a daytime vigil or walk at his favorite place can keep the story fresh and bring out the media.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I'm new to this community, but I've quickly become a big fan.

We still have not succeeded in getting BART surveillance video from the stations at which he may have disembarked. We are primarily interested in the Powell Street station video, but we would also like to see Montgomery and Embarcadero.

We've exhausted early ideas. We would love any additional thoughts or ideas the websleuths might have!

(Oh, and we haven't determined whether the footage does not exist because the cameras are dummies, or because they just haven't granted us access to it yet.)

Thank you!
Gratefully,
Joy

Thanks so much for your kind words, Joy. If you decide to stick around WS after John is back home, you would be an asset. :)

When you say you've exhausted early BART ideas, does that mean that the people who might know someone who could help didn't work out? Or that you've made contact at BART and gotten nowhere? If it's the latter, I hope the detective can help on Monday. Or can you contact someone in SFPD tomorrow who might expedite it? Or if you have an attorney friend who could move things along?

Did you check out the crowd sourced map of privately owned videos I posted? There were lots in downtown SF. You might do better than BART. I would imagine they are on a loop and are erased after a short time, so don't delay.

If I think of any other ideas I'll let you know. Let's hope it's just one more night! Hugs again! :)

Just need to say this, Lilibet you are a WEALTH of information and creative thinking. Wow! I'm really impressed.

So here's a thought I had now - what about other kinds of hospitals? Like rehab centers or psychiatric hospitals. He might have figured they are good places to be safe, anonymous, and lie low for a while.

Contact a councilmans office in whatever vicinity you are searching in. They can get the video for you. Hes in his seventies and his behavior can be considered high risk. They can help you. Good luck with your search.

Another thought: does he own anything of value that he could bring to a pawn shop? A watch, a ring? Did his wife check if any of her own jewelry is missing, or other small valuable things from the house? Small things that would fit in his pant pockets or in the folder he was carrying. If yes, check out local pawn shops if anything was sold there?

Here is the Case Map

Let me know if I got anything wrong or if there is something I missed off, or something you think should be on there.

Thanks to Lilibet for the map location links!

Here is the Case Map

Let me know if I got anything wrong or if there is something I missed off, or something you think should be on there.

:gthanks: for this skibaboo (and Lillibet for the links as well)!

This is awesome and incredibly helpful.

:yourock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the Case Map

Wow! Terrific job Ski. I don't think you missed anything. I must learn how to do this someday. :)

Does John drive? Why was he dropped off instead of driving himself? Is that the norm when he has appointments?

You know John, so I'm going to set aside the possibilities I listed this morning, and just go with what you're saying. If he fled, he's probably safe. Local searching is more urgent.

If John does not have much money, do you think he could be at homeless shelters or renting a cheap room in Mission District SRO? http://sfhomeless.wikia.com/wiki/Category:SRO_Hotels

Leaving posters at shelters and in the Mission might be good. http://www.sfhsa.org/82.htm

He didn't appear to even have a jacket with him, so I can't imagine he'd be sleeping outside. Would he be able to persuade an old friend to let him lie low at their place for awhile? Have you been able to personally contact old friends?

Has his wife or daughter contacted hospitals again? Would he go to a VA hospital?

Don't forget personal pleas to John on FB by his wife and girls and even close friends or his grandchildren. What about the kids where he volunteers?

A well-publicized candlelight vigil or even a daytime vigil or walk at his favorite place can keep the story fresh and bring out the media.

I think involving the media is a great idea. If you can get a local reporter that is interested in the case, this sometimes bring more media attention and hopefully will spur things along with law enforcement.

I think involving the media is a great idea. If you can get a local reporter that is interested in the case, this sometimes bring more media attention and hopefully will spur things along with law enforcement.
BBM

Getting a local reporter interested is a great idea! We were able to do that in the case of Stephanie Warner in my signature and got some great TV coverage.

Another way we got media attention was distribute a beautiful video about Stephanie to the media about three months after she disappeared when attention was dying. We sent a copy to all the local media, even print (who linked it). It was a montage of photos, music and captions set to music put together by Websleuther Sasquatch and friends of Steph. Her far away family wasn't reaching out to the media at that time, so we jumped in. I still get choked up watching it!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stDakDoSz9s

I think that could be done right now with John, featuring his love for his grandchildren and other activities. It would take attention off the legal stuff. I imagine his daughters have access to nice photos that could be used, along with the BART photo, and a friend who knows how to do this. It could be shorter than the one linked above.

Basically, you have to keep feeding the story to the media. They quickly move on. They are not going to come up with ways to feature this story so you have to do it for them in creative ways like a public activity (vigil or walk), a video, press release, interview with John's wife...whatever it takes.

ETA: It's time to feature something new as the top post on John's FB or people will lose interest. I had to scroll down to find the newest story. A personal plea to John would be nice...a sweet photo with a grandchild or his wife...anything to move the story along from the negative and keep people coming back. Changes need to be at least daily or more often, as labor intensive as that is. Can someone help with this? You all are doing a nice job responding to comments. That's so important. :)

Bottom line...however this ends, you want to feel that you've done all you can to get the word out.
JMO

TeaTime, thanks for your post. I'm not sure why Mr. Beck is getting so much sympathy on this thread. If he were younger, I think the sentiment would be very different. His age doesn't make me feel sorry for him at all. JMO and all.

I can't get into the intricacies of the court case, but I will say this. He did not control the infomercial business. that figure that's cited? I don't know who made all that money, but it wasn't JOhn.

Another way we got media attention was distribute a beautiful video about Stephanie to the media about three months after she disappeared when attention was dying. We sent a copy to all the local media, even print (who linked it). It was a montage of photos, music and captions set to music put together by Websleuther Sasquatch and friends of Steph. Her far away family wasn't reaching out to the media at that time, so we jumped in. I still get choked up watching it!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stDakDoSz9s

We are actually working on this right now!! Thank you!

ETA: It's time to feature something new as the top post on John's FB or people will lose interest. I had to scroll down to find the newest story. A personal plea to John would be nice...a sweet photo with a grandchild or his wife...anything to move the story along from the negative and keep people coming back. Changes need to be at least daily or more often, as labor intensive as that is. Can someone help with this? You all are doing a nice job responding to comments. That's so important. :)

Yes, this is smart. I'll pin the article we have up there now for the time being. Hopefully we'll have the video soon.

I'm thinking medical emergency. He seems to have accepted his fate on the court case. If we did not know the details of the court case you all would be thinking differently. At any rate, he still has a family looking for him.

Also in all his pics he looks so sad and pained. Even when "smiling".

This is what we are afraid of! We'd be happy if we thought the other explanation were plausible. It doesn't seem so to us. I understand the view might look different from the outside, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC