CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am looking correctly at the case map in relation to the photo, I believe he may be walking on the Land's End Trail. Is that correct? So hoping he is found very soon!

That's right. When I first saw this missing case and it said he might be going to Sutro Baths/Baker's Beach, I immediately thought of Kristen Modafferi. She was going to Land's End when she disappeared in 1997. I hope he'll be found.

big development!
we searched instagram for photos of the presidio on that day, and we found one that is definitely of him: https://www.instagram.com/p/BBmLOlwB2Mf/

he's wearing a hat that was missing from the house but we weren't sure he had with him. we've emailed the photographer to get more information.

the strap across his chest is for a glasses case he usually wore!

JoyM

Have you reached out, I know a big task, to all those who have posted to Instagram or Twitter from that day to see if they have additional photos? I'm finding so many from that day on Instagram. I know I take more than one photo most times. Who know who caught what.

I am in Canada but would help with any social media I could. PM me if needed.

Since Baker Beach was part of his search, I would definitely go there as well as any access points to rocks or beaches below any trails. I would certainly make a big search of cameras at the Presidio, since he is from that area. Is the house where he lived still there? If so, check with the current residents. He might have been on a sentimental journey. If that photo on the Lands End trail was taken around noon on Tuesday, he had time to cover a lot of ground.

This is exactly what you need for more publicity. Someone will remember seeing him that day or later.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Looking back at the photo of John walking at the BART station, notice how "fat" his folder is. Apparently he had his hat and glasses case in there.

Joy, is there anything else the family can think of he may have put in the folder? You do not need to report back, just calling attention to what I observed.

Hope he is found soon.

Here is the Case Map

Let me know if I got anything wrong or if there is something I missed off, or something you think should be on there.

<RSBM>

Can someone who knows how add this site to the case map? TYIA!

I tried adding the Lands End Trail, but I'm clearly clueless about making it stick. I'm bringing the map forward in case someone else is able to do it before skibaboo arrives. It would be good to include a link to the photo or thumbnail in the pin legend if possible, as well as an explanation of the significance.

Joy why don't you give a call to the National Park Service, since the visitor centers are operated by them at the Presidio. Also someone should go there and pass flyers.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Yes! We've called the presidio park police and the coast guard. We're organizing a search party first thing tomorrow--meeting at 6:30 AM at Seal Rock Inn

Looking back at the photo of John walking at the BART station, notice how "fat" his folder is. Apparently he had his hat and glasses case in there.

Joy, is there anything else the family can think of he may have put in the folder? You do not need to report back, just calling attention to what I observed.

Hope he is found soon.

I will ask! That's a great observation about the relative thickness of the binder in both photos. Thank you!

JoyM, your updates are very much appreciated. While we cannot be there to help you, our thoughts and prayers certainly will be. Wishing, hoping, and praying for a positive outcome in all of the efforts put forth to find JB.

Please come home safe and sound JB.

Yes! We've called the presidio park police and the coast guard. We're organizing a search party first thing tomorrow--meeting at 6:30 AM at Seal Rock Inn

For locals, Seal Rock Inn is at 545 Point Lobos Ave (which splits off from Geary) at 48th Ave, very close to a parking lot for the Lands End Trail.

I'm glad you've gotten the Coast Guard involved as well as the Presidio Park police.

What about dogs tracking John's scent?

What about dogs tracking John's scent?

We are on the same wavelength here! I just got this text: "[name redacted] says she knows a woman with a trained bloodhound getting name".

Fingers crossed!!

We are on the same wavelength here! I just got this text: "[name redacted] says she knows a woman with a trained bloodhound getting name".

Fingers crossed!!

Yeah! What an excellent way to start the week!

Good luck!

Fingers crossed!!

Great! Here's a link so you can learn about tracking dogs. There are variations, so you need to know how it's being done in order to have realistic expectations. You will need something that would have John's scent (and preferably no one else's).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_and_rescue_dog

The map has been updated - John Beck Case Map

I've estimated the location of the photo by the proximity to the ocean and view of the bridge. I think it's about right. I added the possible sighting at the labyrinth too.

Lilibet, awesome idea sharing the info on tracking dogs. I'm in the process of learning how to track with my basset. He already knows how. I need to read his signals. It's not necessarily nose down and go. And it's an amazing resource if available. I'm keeping John and his loved ones close to my heart.

Adding in my prayers this morning that the progress made will lead to bringing John home to his family!

The Instagram photo discovery is just beyond incredible. I can honestly say, I've never seen anything like it!

As the sun prepares to rise, I know in my heart that the Coast Guard is preparing to help assist in the search in mere hours. May everyone who is helping in today's search be kept safe.

May the answers JoyM and the rest of John's family be found today!

:please:

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say. A family so devoted and organized and using the right resources (of course WS) is getting the job done and I like it.

If I ever go missing I hope WS is on the case.

another possible sighting from that day:
I was there at sutro baths that day and seen him at the top of the rocks right above lands end labyrinth. At 4pm. I recognize him from the picture above. He seemed very out of it. I do not remember wether he had that bag with him or not.
I hope you guys find him

Good luck today to the searchers! :hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads