CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get Help Save The Next Girl involved

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Here is the video about John from the FB page. For those without FB, I don't see a YouTube link, but maybe it will play. It's very well done and shows the BART and Lands End photos as well as other family photos. All the information is there with suggestions to share it and like the link. The phone number of the Alameda PD is at the end. Thumbs up! And prayers for the searchers and everyone involved.

https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbeck/videos/vb.582750541891000/584220868410634/?type=2&theater

Coverage from KTVU early this morning, sparked by the Instagram photo. His daughter Laura does a really good job talking about John and also addressing the FTC issue possibly causing people to not be sympathetic. Well done, Laura!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/91774821-story

Info to searchers from FB page.

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4eef4f20bddbd85da708bceb1&id=5d4efd1075

This includes a request to check GramFeed for photos in the area.

http://www.gramfeed.com/instagram/search

They have even put together a tutorial showing how to do it!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UestnVqzB5hkMBjHSaLs8KqkcmA8lk0yIHRuJ5enAHs/mobilebasic?pli=1

These people are amazing! I have never seen another group of family/friends use technology and SM the way they are doing for John. Wow!!!!!

Someone on FB suggested using drones. Great idea, although I'm not sure it's legal in that natural area or the Presidio. Best to check.

another possible sighting from that day:
I was there at sutro baths that day and seen him at the top of the rocks right above lands end labyrinth. At 4pm. I recognize him from the picture above. He seemed very out of it. I do not remember wether he had that bag with him or not.
I hope you guys find him
BBM

Before I/we got distracted by the FTC issue, my first thought was a medical issue causing John to not be himself and leave. Although he seems very purposeful in his intent to go to that part of SF, dehydration could have set in, causing John to seem "very out of it" if the sighting was actually John. This sighting was several hours after the Instagram photo.

Someone on FB suggested using drones. Great idea, although I'm not sure it's legal in that natural area or the Presidio. Best to check.
Oh, smart! I was just researching drone rental. I'll look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Dear Websleuths!

We are trying to contact people who posted instagram photos from near the locations John was last seen on the day he was last seen. (Thank you for the suggestions here!) It's slow work, because Instagram won't allow you to paste the same comment on multiple photos so each one has to be tweaked a little. Would anyone here have a little time to help with this? We've put together a little how to here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UestnVqzB5hkMBjHSaLs8KqkcmA8lk0yIHRuJ5enAHs/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you all so much. We've been talking about how amazing this community is with one another. We are so grateful for your smart minds on this case!!

Dear Websleuths!

We are trying to contact people who posted instagram photos from near the locations John was last seen on the day he was last seen. (Thank you for the suggestions here!) It's slow work, because Instagram won't allow you to paste the same comment on multiple photos so each one has to be tweaked a little. Would anyone here have a little time to help with this? We've put together a little how to here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UestnVqzB5hkMBjHSaLs8KqkcmA8lk0yIHRuJ5enAHs/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you all so much. We've been talking about how amazing this community is with one another. We are so grateful for your smart minds on this case!!

I don't have Instagram but in happy to help on Twitter is needed. I already tweeted the video.

I find this new photo encouraging :)
I don't think he would ' run away ' to start a new life from the top of a tourist filled cliff. I also don't think he'd take his own life in such a busy area.
I'm beginning to think he is laying low to sort things out and collect himself. Hang in there, John.

ETA I guess my point is, seems he would catch another train to elsewhere if he were running away and not go ' sightseeing'. **speculative**

Oh, smart! I was just researching drone rental. I'll look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

There may be drone enthusiasts who would be willing to do this for you! I imagine there are groups of drone hobiests on the internet. If you can find someone in the San Francisco area you may be able to get a group of people to help as volunteers. This would be within the constraints of laws pertaining to flying drones.

There may be drone enthusiasts who would be willing to do this for you! I imagine there are groups of drone hobiests on the internet. If you can find someone in the San Francisco area you may be able to get a group of people to help as volunteers.

I can't emphasize enough that they need to check out the laws about flying drones over federal land, which much of this area is. I googled and can see that it was forbidden in 2014 and can't find current info right now. But it could be illegal. Laws are in a state of flux, apparently.

ETA: Here's an article from December about where drones cannot be flown...basically the entire area of the search for John, as far as I can tell.

However, the National Park Service, which controls the land that borders both sides of the bridge as well as the bridge's parking lots, banned drones "from all NPS-controlled lands and waters" in June 0f 2014, including "monuments, battlefields, historic sites, seashores, rivers and trails,"

http://sfist.com/2015/12/23/ggb_a_no_drone_zone.php

Dear Websleuths!

Bumping this post. I don't have Instagram either (and I only use FB as a sleuthing vehicle :)), but this is a great idea for anyone who wants to help.

I just looked and you don't need an Instagram acct to look at those photos. I'm looking through some now, haven't seen anything yet but I will sure let you know Joy if I do!!

I just looked and you don't need an Instagram acct to look at those photos. I'm looking through some now, haven't seen anything yet but I will sure let you know Joy if I do!!

I think what they are asking is for people to leave a message about John, rather than just look. So you do need an account for that. The instructions she linked had more detail. But there's no harm in looking! :)

I find this new photo encouraging :)
I don't think he would ' run away ' to start a new life from the top of a tourist filled cliff. I also don't think he'd take his own life in such a busy area.
I'm beginning to think he is laying low to sort things out and collect himself. Hang in there, John.

ETA I guess my point is, seems he would catch another train to elsewhere if he were running away and not go ' sightseeing'. **speculative**

We hope and pray that this is correct.

Apologies if this has been addressed but it came to mind. Did John have a Clipper card or other transit pass? If so, is there a possibility usage is tracked anywhere in a way that might provide useful information?

This is excellent, Joy. I see that skibaboo thanked your post, so hopefully she's adding to the map as we speak. :) I agree that the photo John's son-in-law took is the same place as the 12:08 photo.

In my opinion the lady who saw him near the 32nd Ave entrance is likely more reliable than the 4:00 p.m. sighting (she didn't seem sure). If we discount the 4:00 p.m. sighting, I think it's likely that he continued on toward the Presidio and didn't double back. I would branch out, as I'm sure you're doing.

I would also be sure to check with whoever lives at his old residence in the area, if it's still there. I don't know why I'm so hung up on this, but I guess it's just something I would do if I were John.

Also, he must have gotten hungry and thirsty at some point, so check groceries or sandwich shops.

Does he know anyone in Marin county? I think I'm repeating myself, but I know you all are bombarded with ideas. You are doing great!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee