CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:doh: The son is in the wedding photo with kids. I didn't realize who he was. Not sleuthing, just trying to make sense of what I heard on the video. He has stayed behind the scenes, which is fine. It was just a new bit of info I was surprised about.

Don't mind me...just thinking out loud and when I come back to edit out my thoughts, it's too late. Did WS shorten the editing time? I could have sworn we had a couple of hours, not 15? minutes.

A new video talking about John and asking him to come home. His sons-in-law, daughter's friends and friends are included. His wife speaks at the end. Very sad for all. :(

http://findjohnbeck.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbeck/videos/vb.582750541891000/594748154024572/?type=2&theater

ETA: FWIW I did not realize he has a son, or else I misunderstood what a friend said.

Thanks for sharing that video, Lilibet! It was touching.

It seems as though they believe he's still out there alive somewhere and hope to reach him with their words... hoping their pleas might convince him to return home.

Thanks for sharing that video, Lilibet! It was touching.

It seems as though they believe he's still out there alive somewhere and hope to reach him with their words... hoping their pleas might convince him to return home.

Yes, please JB come home.

:candle:

Thank you Lilibet for sharing the video!
Very sad. You can see the anguish for the entire family. The JB case is so complicated b/c of the legal issues, but for the family he is a husband, dad, grandpa, father-in-law & friend. Sending my prayers.
Hope JB is found.

3- The person works in film... They may be shopping the idea in Hollywood. Trying to sell rights or develop story into tv show/film, etc. Maybe next year you'll see Instagram Detective as a new primetime show, lol

Hi, everyone, I've been lurking here so far but wanted to chime in on this point. I think that you're correct about the instagram user's (Hollyweirdfilms) intentions. He and his friends have set up a separate website, findingjohnbeck.com, a youtube channel, and have tweeted a bit with #findingjohnbeck (vs the official #findjohnbeck). The youtube movie they've put up is beautifully shot, but seems to be more about the guy who took the picture. It's labelled as "part 1," and you're supposed to sign up at their website to be alerted when they release part 2.

They seem pretty excited to have stumbled upon this story, and it's a little gauche in my opinion. One of them has indicated that they plan on making a documentary. I don't know if they're doing all of this with the family's blessing. As the person who took the photo, Hollyweirdfilms does have a copyright on it and may be exploiting that for an opportunity to make his film. So if the instagram aspect of this case seems strange, I don't think it's the Becks who are to blame.

Hi, everyone, I've been lurking here so far but wanted to chime in on this point. I think that you're correct about the instagram user's (Hollyweirdfilms) intentions. He and his friends have set up a separate website, findingjohnbeck.com, a youtube channel, and have tweeted a bit with #findingjohnbeck (vs the official #findjohnbeck). The youtube movie they've put up is beautifully shot, but seems to be more about the guy who took the picture. It's labelled as "part 1," and you're supposed to sign up at their website to be alerted when they release part 2.

They seem pretty excited to have stumbled upon this story, and it's a little gauche in my opinion. One of them has indicated that they plan on making a documentary. I don't know if they're doing all of this with the family's blessing. As the person who took the photo, Hollyweirdfilms does have a copyright on it and may be exploiting that for an opportunity to make his film. So if the instagram aspect of this case seems strange, I don't think it's the Becks who are to blame.

Thanks, sealeggs. That's a great find! I agree that it seems a little gauche. A bit opportunistic. But on the other hand, since this guy is a filmmaker, I don't blame him for staking his claim on this story, because his photo is so significant. John Beck himself would probably say that it makes good business sense. :)

Personally, I believe this photo was a random one, not planned with ulterior motives. But I'm prepared to eat crow if this was all an elaborate ruse.
JMO

Lilibet, I agree that this photo was taken by chance. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse w/r/t Hollyweirdfilms, looks like he's a dead end as far as the investigation goes. I still object to his opportunism. If my father were missing and someone exploited it this way, I'd be livid.

This project does seem sketch to me. Personally, I don't think Fuentes is the person to make this documentary, and I think it's wrong of him to jump in and seek to profit from the Beck's tragedy. Especially since it's one of only three credits that Franklin Fuentes/Hollyweirdfilms has to his name on IMDb. Unless part of his budget is going towards consulting people who are knowledgeable about real estate/bankruptcy law and fraud, or who are qualified to go over the case history/court documents for him, this isn't shaping up to be a very accurate/meaningful portrayal of events.

I've been lurking in the thread but wanted to raise some thoughts. Paligal's post about the strange coincidence of the Instagram photo was compelling, especially when you consider that most people on Instagram taking tourist photos focus on the most eye-catching site (in this case the Golden Gate Bridge), and don't typically intentionally add strangers to the photo. It would have taken only seconds for the photo taker to wait until Mr. Beck had walked further up the trail and out of the frame. However when you think about the possibility of the photo serving as a deliberate distraction (e.g., if Mr. Beck intended a photo to be taken at Lands End to distract from the fact that he has actually travelled far away), you probably have to exclude the Instagram photo taker as a conspirator, especially given that he is now creating a public "documentary" about the case and is drawing attention to himself. However, if Mr. Beck wanted to be pictured in a tourist photo that could later be found, a major tourist site like Land's End would be a good place to go, as people are constantly taking photos there. If you consider that Mr. Beck left the trail of breadcrumbs to that area with the Google searches, it is conceivable that he wanted people to think that was his only destination. In the course of this ordeal, his family and friends have shown themselves to be excellent at social media, so it also isn't inconceivable that he would have known they might have the skills to find the photo.

The news that the Instagram photo taker is now creating a documentary adds a whole new strange angle to this case. For one, it means that there will be many more eyes on it (15K views on the 'documentary' so far). If we consider that there is a strong possibility that Mr. Beck has voluntarily left the city and is now living in hiding or under an assumed identity, the documentary will make it harder for him to hide. And while the documentary appears to be being made separate from the family (and perhaps absent their consent), the documentary and the family's video are aligned in the sense that they are both creating publicity around the case and encouraging people to find Mr. Beck.

All of this leads to the paradox, in my view, that if Mr. Beck is alive and I hope he is, he has left intentionally, and either intentionally or unintentionally created the perception that he was heading toward the area of Lands End, prior to heading off to wherever his true destination was. If he did in fact leave Lands End to travel to his next destination, it would seem he would not want to be found. [And if he intended Lands End to be his final destination, which I hope dearly it wasn't, he did not leave explicit clues to that effect]. It thus creates a heartbreaking situation for everyone involved, where the very dedication and interest that is driving the search for him may also not be what he desires, for whatever reason.

Welcome destlin! Excellent first post.

:welcome:

Sealeggs, I just realized you're brand new too.

:welcome4:

<snip>

All of this leads to the paradox, in my view, that if Mr. Beck is alive and I hope he is, he has left intentionally, and either intentionally or unintentionally created the perception that he was heading toward the area of Lands End, prior to heading off to wherever his true destination was. If he did in fact leave Lands End to travel to his next destination, it would seem he would not want to be found. [And if he intended Lands End to be his final destination, which I hope dearly it wasn't, he did not leave explicit clues to that effect]. It thus creates a heartbreaking situation for everyone involved, where the very dedication and interest that is driving the search for him may also not be what he desires, for whatever reason.

Interesting ideas that have come up on the picture. I hadn't thought of the perspective of anything being intentional, but it does make me scratch my head a bit now that you guys have mentioned it. Even if he didn't know someone would take a picture and the picture would be found, it's not to say that he didn't figure that people would see him at Land's End and report the sighting once he went missing. So either way, it could be intentional to go to a spot where there are a lot of people around and do some walking so as to maximize your exposure to others.

I've also thought a couple of things were odd. One was the sun hat "hidden" in the file folder as per the BART surveillance photo. Someone up thread may have mentioned this already, so apologies if it's a repeat, but that hat wasn't well-hidden at all. I can't imagine that his wife didn't notice that the folder had more than paper in it. If he really wanted to hide it, there would have been a lot better methods--at least using one of those pocket folders where the contents are all inside of a large envelope and can be closed with a flap.

The other thing that's puzzled me a bit is the internet searches of Land's End. As anyone who's from around here can attest, there's not much to be searched about with Land's End, aside from maybe figuring out the bus schedule to get there from the BART station. If you're going, you're just kind of going, if that makes sense. Clearly he knew how to get there (not hard to figure out at all), and it's not like there's any research with when it opens or admission prices. He didn't need to see if it was a pretty spot, since he'd lived nearby and presumably knew it well... So I guess I've always wondered why he was even searching Land's End, aside from giving a pretty big clue as to where he was headed.

Wow, that's ridiculously tacky, in my opinion, if this filmmaker intends to use the case to his benefit. I agree that that seems to undermine my theory (unless the filmmaker is trying to double-benefit, given that John is gone.)
That said, I still am skeptical that John committed suicide at the bridge. Had you asked me a day or two after his disappearance, I would have said that was the most likely explanation, given his trajectory to the bridge. However, at that time of day, there would have been people on the bridge, and it would be difficult for him to climb over the fence undetected. Furthermore, even if he did manage to climb over and jump, no body has been found or washed up on any of the beaches, and it has been a while. And even if his body was lost at sea, he was carrying a thick folder of papers. What happened to them? Those would have had to be left behind, where they would have been found, or he would have had to be holding them, in which case they would have scattered all over the surface of the water and would have been washing up on beaches (speaking of which, perhaps someone should do a very thorough check of the ledge underneath the bridge for that folder.) All of this complete lack of evidence that he committed suicide suggests to me that he is alive and in hiding, which should give his loved ones hope. I wonder if his family has asked to see CCTV from all of the smaller airports, Greyhound, and Amtrak stations in the North Bay, especially regional airports. My strong hunch is that he found his way to a place where he traveled far from California. So if we assume it was a coincidence that he was photographed on the trail and he didn't intentionally want to mislead people in focusing north, then that significantly narrows down which direction he headed. North. He could have taken a train or gotten to SFO or Oakland or San Jose airports from the BART station in Oakland and wouldn't have gone to Land's End if he was traveling to any of the major airports or Amtrak stations. But he would have to cross the Golden Gate Bridge to get to regional airports north of the city. Hmm... Honestly, if I remove the possibility of the trail photo being staged or the possibility of a suicide (the latter being unlikely in my opinion, but still possible), then it seems most likely that a second person was involved who would have picked him up north of the bridge. It would be illogical for him to head north to get out of the area quickly, unless he was going to a regional airport like Sonoma for a private flight, or if his final destination is north via Greyhound. Marin/Sonoma Counties have the worst options for transportation. I lived there. No trains, no large airports. What is north for him?
Just thinking as I type...Thoughts?

So I guess I've always wondered why he was even searching Land's End, aside from giving a pretty big clue as to where he was headed.

SFBA, I agree that if you think on it the computer activity raises questions. For one thing, if he were a naive computer user (which I doubt he was given that he is a businessman in the Bay Area and his family is clearly very well-versed in using the internet), then none of his computer searches would be hidden (via incognito mode) and anything he had been doing for the past few months online would pop up in forensic examination of the computer. Thus if he were trying to travel afar, those searches would be revealed on his computer. Instead, all that has been mentioned is searches for Sutro Baths/Lands End area. This suggests to me that anything else he was doing was hidden under incognito mode, and that the Sutro Baths searches were not hidden (perhaps intentionally?). If we don't believe that he used any kind of secrecy in planning his intentional departure, then it seems as though he didn't search anything of consequence related to his coming departure. If someone is planning to make a radical life change, you'd expect there to be plenty of internet searching related to their plans. That is, unless they knew to hide those searches, and for some reason decided only to leave the Sutro Bath search in the search results.

Paligal, I agree that there seems to very little evidence for suicide, thankfully, at this point, though it is unfortunately still a possibility. I want to imagine that if he did plan to commit suicide, he would have left some sign so as not to cause his family the undue mystery and pain of not knowing. The fact that he did not reveal his plans seems to suggest to me that he *could not* reveal them because he did not want to be found. In that sense, the lack of clues as to his intentions is a good sign that he is still alive, but far away. I also agree that if he wanted to fly immediately away then he would have headed south on the Bart, and flown from one of the airports on the peninsula. Going north doesn't make sense, unless he had an accomplice to help him, in the scenario Paligirl suggested. But appearing to go north does make sense as a distraction, since if he did indeed depart from an airport south of SF, it would be in his interest to have people think that he had gone north instead.

The fact that he did not reveal his plans seems to suggest to me that he *could not* reveal them because he did not want to be found.

I'm also thinking that he is alive, and that this was planned, and that he most likely did not reveal those plans to his family/legal team. As a lawyer (albeit non-practicing), he would have known that informing them of what he intended to do would make them partly responsible. By keeping them in the dark, I believe that he thinks he is keeping them safe. That fits what his brother has told the media about John's character/state of mind:
Stephen Beck said he believes his brother disappeared on purpose, thinking it would prevent the FTC from taking the Regent Street home belonging to him and his wife.

&#8220;If so, he chose to sacrifice himself for the benefit of his family,&#8221; Stephen Beck said. &#8220;And from my lifelong knowledge of his character, that sounds like something he would do.&#8221;

At first I wondered if this was an attempt to make himself seem not competent to stand trial, but I don't know how that applies to civil cases, and seeing as this one is already in appeal, I have no idea how that could work. My best guess is that it's a desperate attempt at further stalling the process, after his attempt to claim Chapter 11 was denied.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the search for public transportation to Sutro Baths/Baker Beach had any intentional significance at all. Before the Instagram photo was found, I figured John could have ridden that train to SFO or transferred to a different BART train and gone to the Oakland Airport. Without that photo showing up, his search of a route to Lands End was just as "random" as the street views that were uncovered later. We only know he ended up at Lands End because we have a photo.

If I were planning to disappear, there is no way that I would do significant searches on my computer. Isn't everything you search traceable if someone knows how? I'm going to assume that whatever was found on his computer means next to nothing and wasn't meant either as a clue to his family or a diversion.

I don't think he went there to die. Others have laid out valid reasons to discount suicide. I think he paid a last visit to a place he had spent his youth, knowing he might never return.

From there, with help, I believe he left the country...by auto, plane or boat. Has anyone seen Gravink and Hewitt lately? Only half joking. :)

All JMO, subject to change without notice.

Maybe we will see this case on American Greed someday.......and maybe not. It is not good to jump to conclusions.

My own opinion

I'm also thinking that he is alive, and that this was planned, and that he most likely did not reveal those plans to his family/legal team. As a lawyer (albeit non-practicing), he would have known that informing them of what he intended to do would make them partly responsible. By keeping them in the dark, I believe that he thinks he is keeping them safe. That fits what his brother has told the media about John's character/state of mind:
Stephen Beck said he believes his brother disappeared on purpose, thinking it would prevent the FTC from taking the Regent Street home belonging to him and his wife.

&#8220;If so, he chose to sacrifice himself for the benefit of his family,&#8221; Stephen Beck said. &#8220;And from my lifelong knowledge of his character, that sounds like something he would do.&#8221;

At first I wondered if this was an attempt to make himself seem not competent to stand trial, but I don't know how that applies to civil cases, and seeing as this one is already in appeal, I have no idea how that could work. My best guess is that it's a desperate attempt at further stalling the process, after his attempt to claim Chapter 11 was denied.
BBM

I agree that he could not reveal his plans to disappear to anyone in his family or on his legal team.

Just to clarify, he lost his appeal. That ruling was filed 3/3/16, after he disappeared. Basically, it's over. He wouldn't have known that when he left, according to my lawyer source, but he might have figured it wasn't going to go his way.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/memoranda/2016/03/03/12-56665.pdf

I think disappearing could stall the liquidation process. Even more significantly, IMO, disappearing could also allow him to avoid having to disclose money he may have hidden in offshore or Swiss accounts. His former partner Gravink was just recently outed for hiding money in Swiss accounts, after perjuring himself previously. If John saw the handwriting on the wall, and if the 2/9 hearing involved testimony under oath, it could have been a good time to disappear. Just speculating. I'm not sure what my opinion is.

Gravink bankruptcy case document 1/12/16.
https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/cacb/1733313/1-0.html

Maybe we will see this case on American Greed someday.......and maybe not. It is not good to jump to conclusions.

My own opinion

Well, you got me to google a show I've never heard of. :) It would probably upset me too much to watch it. And I certainly won't be watching the spinoff called American Greed: The Fugitives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog