CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the primary source stating it was 107 degrees on the mountain that day? I can't find that in any weather records.

In the zip code the trail is in, both of these trusted sites say the temperature didn't go higher than mid-80s that day. It could be much cooler than 107 in the mountains. It would've been in the low 70s when they started hiking.

El Portal (95318) Historical Weather

Mammoth Lakes, CA Weather History | Weather Underground

Thanks for those, I'll use those in the future, little bit of a weather freak.

The second one has the Mammoth-Yosemite airport as the weather station and that's actually on the other side of the Sierra, probably cooler over there.

I’m wondering if this family and dog were killed/ poisoned, somewhere else, maybe at home? Then moved to this location. The bodies were placed in these positions. Made to appear like a hiking issue caused the death. It would explain how everyone died at the exact same time and in the neat positions… like frozen. The question is, who would benefit from the deaths…. Motive?

I’m thinking that they may have not lived in places with extreme heat. They came from San Francisco where there are mild summers. Yet, we don’t know where they grew up. The summer heat in many places in CA can be deadly. Perhaps they underestimated the danger? According to the Mayo Clinic’s website, heatstroke can cause mental confusion. Mental confusion is one of the symptoms of heatstroke.
She grew up in Orange County. Also, they've traveled all over the world --- including the Gobi Desert, Indonesia, India and South America.

I think the baby was first to die then. You wouldn’t leave a baby on the ground alive, not if snakes are around. Tbh if that were me, knowing my hike had resulted in my child’s death, I’d pretty much want to give up too. So sad

If that was the case I can't imagine that they would not have taken her out of the backpack though?

I’m wondering if this family and dog were killed/ poisoned, somewhere else, maybe at home? Then moved to this location. The bodies were placed in these positions. Made to appear like a hiking issue caused the death. It would explain how everyone died at the exact same time and in the neat positions… like frozen. The question is, who would benefit from the deaths…. Motive?
There’s no easy way to get bodies there - they couldn’t even get the family out right away and I believe they were airlifted out. It’s not like you can drive along the switchbacks and drop them off. If you wanted to kill a family, there are easier ways (like a CO leak in the house, etc.).

This case is totally heartbreaking in every way possible.
However, I´ve got one question which seems to have been overlooked on this forum this far:
When did the warning sign for dangerous algae first appear at the trailhead?
Was it actually there when this family started out on their hike?
Or not?
That could be important in this context!

Google maps is practically useless off grid, and in rural areas. People who are hiking any place outside of a city, should be looking at actual USGS topo maps.

I don't even rely on "All Trails". Unless you have actually done it, looking at a route on a phone map is not the same as an actual route. I am trying to figure out why they did this particular route...I am not familiar with Yosemite.

Carrying a baby in a pack on a hike is pretty miserable. Especially if it is hot. It is okay, for "destination", hike 15, 20 minutes. But not a long hike.
Alltrails is OK, I prefer Guthook.

To me, the heat stroke possibility does not seem very likely.

Though the day was hot (97 Degrees) and the trail steep, it was not hiking advisory type hot relative to outdoor hiking performed by physically fit people.

As related by a triathelete member, heat stroke can impact even endurance athletes. Even still, the victims were not engaged in an endurance event and had only been out one day.
Snipped for focus.

High 90's may have been the ambient temperature, but this was a burn area, there was no shade, and heat reflects off a trail like that.

Compare with the Philip Kreychik case. Ultra distance runner out for his daily run. Dead. Found Deceased - CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

Cell phones! I wish that more information was provided to people that cell phones are absolutely useless hiking in many National Parks. (And many areas in Montana, South Dakota and North Dakota, Utah, Nevada) probably more...I know for a fact in Montana once you leave the main grid I-15/I-90 and you are away from town, cell phones, no bars. It is hit and miss.

I wonder if these folks were not used to hiking in places without cell service?

No signal. In Glacier and YNP, you practically have to be on the edge of the park for any bars at all.
I'm wondering why they wouldn't have a PLB if they hiked so much?

That seems to be a map from the Chronicle, though. We don't have a map from LE?

I would guess some assumptions are being made by the person who drew the map. for instance, it assumes the hike was in a loop. But without LE verification, it could just as easily have been out-and-back.

That’s true it’s not an official map from LE, I hope they will release one. Here’s what the journalist who made the map said (bbm):
Matthias Gafni
@mgafni

·
Aug 20

With the help of the Mariposa sheriff, we were able to create a more accurate map of the suspected hike the family took. And sadly where they were found.”
upload_2021-8-23_22-17-49.jpeg
https://twitter.com/mgafni/status/1428907517019516928?s=20

ETA: Sorry for repeatedly posting this

Last edited:
This case is totally heartbreaking in every way possible.
However, I´ve got one question which seems to have been overlooked on this forum this far:
When did the warning sign for dangerous algae first appear at the trailhead?
Was it actually there when this family started out on their hike?
Or not?
That could be important in this context!
Yes, the signs were there since July. Someone commented that perhaps they hadn't looked at the community board, however, where they had been posted.

How are hikers supposed to plan a route and map a trail when the biggest, most comprehensive and commonly used mapping website/app isn't showing a factual representation of the marked trails? Sure, you can wing it, end up wading in toxic algae water and hiking several more miles than you had intended in an unforgiving landscape with no shade, cell service or adequate water to survive, during a time when the trails are CLOSED due to EXTREME fire danger.
Snipped for focus

Experienced hikers carry the 10 essentials, which include a paper (often Tyvek these days) map and compass. The best maps are USGS maps. You download them from their website. This area may also have been included in the National Geographic Yosemite map, which is based on the USGS maps.
If they only had one water bladder between all of them (usually 3 liters max if carried in a pack), that would be very worrisome.

The map is either this one, or one adjacent (I'm not really familiar with this area): https://store.usgs.gov/assets/MOD/StoreFiles/DenverPDFs/24K/CA/CA_El_Portal_2004_geo.pdf

You could also likely get one locally that's based on the USGS. The trails must be busy enough to make that profitable.

Last edited:
Snipped for focus

Experienced hikers carry the 10 essentials, which include a paper (often Tyvek these days) map and compass. The best maps are USGS maps. You download them from their website. This area may also have been included in the National Geographic Yosemite map, which is based on the USGS maps.
If they only had one water bladder between all of them (usually 3 liters max if carried in a pack), that would be very worrisome.

You might be the best person to ask why people hike during very hot weather. Is it like runners who have set days to run and don’t miss a day no matter what what the weather is like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member