CA CA - JOSEPH NASO, once a suspect in NY Alphabet Murders, now on trial in California

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An accused serial killer fighting a capital case in Marin Superior Court has decided he wants a lawyer after all -- sort of.

Joseph Naso, 78, appeared in court Wednesday with his new "advisory counsel" Michael Marowitz, a veteran San Rafael defense attorney. Naso, who prosecutors say has assets of more than $1 million, had previously refused to hire a lawyer or let the court appoint one.

But he might have changed his mind last month, when prosecutors announced they planned to seek the death penalty against him. Marowitz, as advisory counsel, can help guide Naso but cannot speak on his behalf during the trial.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...eged-serial-killer-naso-decides-he-needs-some

LOL the judge is mentioning that he might not let the attorney sit at the defense table during the trial. IMO he will, but it is telling that he is threatening not to.

A Marin County Superior Court judge this morning set a trial date of Nov. 5 for accused serial killer Joseph Naso.

Deputy District Attorney Rosemary Slote estimated that the trial will take four to five months, and said twice as many prosecution witnesses will testify in the trial as in the nine-day preliminary hearing in January.
http://sanrafael.patch.com/articles/accused-serial-killer-joseph-naso-s-trial-set-for-november

IMO this is going to be a very interesting trial

Serial killer suspect: Cut Marin DA's payroll

Joseph Naso, the accused serial killer on trial in Marin Superior Court, wants to help the county save money, and has jumped into the debate about whether District Attorney Ed Berberian should prosecute so many misdemeanor cases.

snip...."My personal case, which happens to be a felony, but would have been rejected in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and even at the San Francisco DA's office, is a good case in point of how many millions in expence (sic) and manpower is costing the county and state," he wrote.
http://www.marinij.com/fairfax/ci_20657480/serial-killer-suspect-cut-marin-das-payroll

I have a proposal, since he is so concerned about saving the county money, why doesn't he just plead guilty? That would save the county a bunch of money!

Posted: 12:29 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012 KTVU-AP
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. —
A judge has delayed the serial murder trial of a former photographer charged with the decades-old slayings of four prostitutes, all of whom had matching initials, in Northern California.
The Marin Independent Journal reported that a judge pushed jury selection in the 78-year-old Joseph Naso's trial back to Jan. 14 to give Naso more time to prepare.
Naso is charged with murdering 18-year-old Roxene Roggasch in 1977; 22-year-old Carmen Colon in 1978; 38-year-old Pamela Parsons in 1993 and 31-year-old Tracy Tafoya in 1994.
The Reno, Nev. resident Naso is representing himself in the death penalty case, but was granted a legal adviser to help him.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/joseph-naso-serial-murder-trial-delayed/nSNWp/

Posted: 12:29 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012 KTVU-AP
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. —
A judge has delayed the serial murder trial of a former photographer charged with the decades-old slayings of four prostitutes, all of whom had matching initials, in Northern California.
The Marin Independent Journal reported that a judge pushed jury selection in the 78-year-old Joseph Naso's trial back to Jan. 14 to give Naso more time to prepare.
Naso is charged with murdering 18-year-old Roxene Roggasch in 1977; 22-year-old Carmen Colon in 1978; 38-year-old Pamela Parsons in 1993 and 31-year-old Tracy Tafoya in 1994.
The Reno, Nev. resident Naso is representing himself in the death penalty case, but was granted a legal adviser to help him.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/joseph-naso-serial-murder-trial-delayed/nSNWp/

And come Jan., this guy will decide it would be too hard to defend himself and will hire himself an attorney. Who will of course need time to prepare a case. This guy is playing the system.

Marin: Alleged serial killer Naso hurt by stinging critique of his photography
By Gary Klien,
Marin Independent JournalPosted: 08/08/2013 07:02:52 AM PDT
...under cross-examination by prosecutor Dori Ahana, Hoyt said he and Naso were never close and that he thought so little of Naso's pictures he didn't even consider him a professional photographer.

"I never heard you complain about my photography," he said. "My work speaks for itself. I've won quite a few blue-ribbon awards. I must have been doing something right."
Even though Naso is representing himself, he told the judge he won't testify. Among the witnesses questioned by Naso today was photographer and sculptor Peter Keresztury.

Naso won't take stand in murder trial
Ellen Huet
Updated 5:26 pm, Friday, August 9, 2013
"When you see a picture of women nude or seminude with their eyes closed and their arms back, do you assume the woman is deceased?" he asked. "Do you think a publisher like Hugh Hefner would publish photos of deceased people? Do you know of any collection of photos titled, 'These are photos of deceased people?' "
Oh my! I'm sure I knew this woman. She was a vagabond who spent time in the French Quarter around 1980, and tried to pass herself off as Dylan's sister.

Alleged serial killer on trial linked to skull found in Nevada County
Nicole Baptista and Coleen Bidwill
Special to The Union
August 5, 2013
It might have been difficult to find a bigger Bob Dylan fan than Sara Dylan. Not his former wife, but a fan so devoted the woman legally changed her name and hitchhiked worldwide to follow his tours. But for Dylan, born Renee Shapiro, her curtain call came early.
Through the help of her biological mother’s DNA, police in 1998 were able to match her DNA to a skull found in Nevada County. She was last seen alive at a Bob Dylan concert in Hawaii in 1992.

Though Naso will not be formally charged with Dylan’s murder, she is one of many cold cases that authorities across the country revisited after Naso’s arrest. The four women all have both first and last names beginning with the same letter; Dylan is the only link so far that differs.

Posted: 2:11 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2013 KTVU and AP Wires
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. —
Jurors found Joseph Naso guilty Tuesday of killing four women with double initials in their names in the Bay Area and Yuba County between 1977 and 1994.
Naso, 79, now faces the death penalty.
He pleaded not guilty to four counts of murder and represented himself during the two-month trial with some assistance from the Marin County Public Defender's office.
Naso was arrested in Reno in 2010 after probation officers searched his home in connection with an unrelated gun conviction.nvestigators found numerous photographs of nude women who appeared unconscious and in unnatural positions, laminated obits of some of the victims, a "list of 10" unnamed women that appeared to be a list of murder victims and other evidence.
Naso's DNA was found on one of the victims, 18-year-old Roxene Roggasch, and DNA from his ex-wife was discovered on pantyhose found wrapped around Roggasch. Naso is a suspect in several other unsolved murders.
In addition, prosecutors read numerous entries in a diary allegedly kept by Naso that contained scrawled accounts of approaching women and offering them a ride home.
"Outside the front door I overpowered her and ravaged her," read one entry. "I couldn't help myself."
Other passages described incidents in Cleveland, Kansas City, Buffalo, Rochester, N.Y., Wichita, Kan., and Berkeley, Calif.
Marin County Deputy District Attorney Rosemary Slote called 70 witnesses. Naso called five.<snip>
Even if he is sentenced to death, it is unlikely he would be executed. There are already 725 inmates on Death Row awaiting executions, which a federal judge put on hold in 2006 until the state revamps its capital punishment system.
Naso was charged with killing four prostitutes whose names have double initials: 18-year-old Roggasch in 1977; 22-year-old Carmen Colon in 1978; 38-year-old Pamela Parsons in 1993; and 31-year-old Tracy Tafoya in 1994. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/jurors-find-naso-guilty-double-initial-serial-kill/nZTg2/

Cold case in Salt Lake has similarities to Calif. serial killer case
April 13th, 2011 @ 8:23pm
By Pat Reavy

"One case detectives might look at is a cold case from Salt Lake City. A young girl, whose first and last name begin with the same letters, was killed about the same time as the slayings in California started.

On May 12, 1977, 16-year-old Sharon Schollmeyers was found dead in her Salt Lake apartment, 125 1st Avenue. Her naked and bound body was discovered in a partially filled bathtub, according to the state's cold case website. A Utah medical examiner determined the manner of death was homicide."

more...

There has been an arrest in Sharon's case.

http://people.com/crime/sharon-schollmeyersnearly-utah-1977-cold-case-rape-killing/

I grew up in the #33 school district and my best friend's sister had double initials and attended school #33. We were about the same age as the victims.

I'm relatively new here, but after reading two different threads involving the Rochester, NY double initial murders, I noticed a possible link, that likely was investigated already, but in case not... How old is Naso's son? It was mentioned he had a disability, just like the Rochester girls... perhaps that is the thread that connects them? Just MHO.

Interesting case Steely Dan. I'm going to have to look into it more.

I just read, so far, the 'picture' section where it just gave little blurps of clues.

All have double letter of the alphabet name beginning.
Location where they were found began with same letter.
All three were Catholic.
All three had learning disabilities.

There may be more.

Intriguing,
fran

"Berberian's statement contradicts federal court documents filed by Naso in 2005, in which he described himself as a $510-a-month Social Security recipient with a $175,000 home in Reno and a disabled son to care for.

Other passages described incidents in Cleveland, Kansas City, Buffalo, Rochester, N.Y., Wichita, Kan., and Berkeley, Calif.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A blonde, white woman was found in a room of the Mortland Motel on 14 August 1968.

I feel like she very much resembles a woman in photos made by the serial killer Joe Naso.

See "Woman in the red/pink dress":
The Search for Joe Naso Victims - The Murder Squad

What do you guys think?

Great find! Definitely submit. It looks like the same woman.

I’ve attached a side-by-side. Sorry for the low quality on the composite, it’s from NamUs.

I hope she rests easy. ❤️

Judging by the list, the Mansfield Motel woman would have to be the first victim which would contradict the statement that the places designate the dumping grounds, so I am in doubt that my assumption was correct.

Attachments

• 81C7393F-5817-4B0C-BD9C-A53D71DA6429.jpeg
    81C7393F-5817-4B0C-BD9C-A53D71DA6429.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 62
  • PSX_20200118_184939.jpg
    PSX_20200118_184939.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online