Found Deceased CA - Juan Carlos "Cookie" Hernandez, 21, Los Angeles, 22 Sept 2020 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing community college student found in shallow grave near Barstow

On Nov. 15, LAPD detectives, San Bernardino sheriff’s deputies and FBI agents exhumed Hernández’s remains from a shallow grave off Afton Canyon Road, near Interstate 15, the LAPD said Thursday.

Astaphan and Heng, the two people detained in connection with his death, were arrested four days later. The LAPD did not disclose Thursday how they had linked the two to Hernández’s disappearance and death. Hernández’s mother said she did not recognize the suspects’ names.

Suspected Killers Of Missing Man Arrested

The cause of death was not released, but police said he “appeared to be the victim of a homicide.”

LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division detectives, with assistance from a SWAT team, served search warrants Thursday at the homes of Ethan Astaphan, 27, and Sonita Heng, 20, who were “persons of interest,” according to police. The locations of the homes were not immediately available.

During the warrants, Astaphan and Heng were arrested for suspicion of murder, police said. They are each being held on $10 million bail, according to sheriff’s department records.

Juan Hernandez Missing Person Investigation South Los Angeles NR20289wc - Los Angeles Police Department
On November 19, 2020, LAPD RHD Detectives with the assistance of LAPD Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) served search warrants at the residences of the persons of interest in Hernandez murder. The following suspects were arrested for 187 PC/Murder and booked at LAPD Jail:

1. Ethan Astaphan, 27 years

2. Sonita Heng, 20 years

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact Robbery- Homicide Division, Robbery Special Section, Detective Jaramillo and Detective Hammer at (213) 486-6840.

It breaks my heart to have to inform everyone that Juan Carlos Hernandez is no longer missing. Juan’s body was found on Sunday and is he is in heaven watching over us. Thank you everyone for your love and support. Know that the Hernandez family appreciates everything everyone has done for us. Rest In Peace Juan. I’ll hold you in my heart until we meet again.

i am so so so sorry mama!!! :( i hope u gets justice. heart breaking :(

This is so sad and tragic, but one positive seems apparent: despite not keeping Yajaira informed, LAPD had a lot of investigative work going on behind the scenes, with a big coordinated effort that included the FBI and the San Bernardino Sheriff Dept. They have my kudos and respect for finding Juan in what seems to have been a complicated case.
The Los Angeles Police Department’s Robbery-Homicide Division worked with the FBI to investigate Hernandez’s disappearance, and “their efforts provided detectives with a sequence of events to find Hernandez,” police said.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue Team found Hernandez’s remains Sunday…
Suspected Killers Of Missing Man Arrested

Within the next few days we will be figuring out funeral arrangements and stuff. Just wanted to thank everyone here for your support.

we will need assistance for funeral costs. I’m sharing this as I know that dark days are coming up and we need help.
@Helpmefindjuan

Again, thank you all

Please accept my condolences. This is so tragic. I grew up in The Valley. When I heard the amount of miles on the car, my first thought was someone drove the car out to the dessert and back. Of course I prayed I was wrong.

RIP Cookie.

Body of missing student found, 2 suspects arrested - El Camino College The Union
[Yajaira] said LAPD detectives “knew from the beginning that Juan was dead” but could not disclose that information to her as they hadn’t located his body and were working with the FBI.

”This was not the outcome that I was hoping for and… even though I’m shattered inside, I’m still blessed that the detectives were able to do their job and that they found my son and, in some form, are giving me closure because I wasn’t ready to stop searching for him,” she said.

Yajaira goes on to say in the article how she is now robbed from seeing her son grow up and do all the things he set out to do with his life. No more celebrating holidays together. That she’ll never get to see him get married and have kids...
It’s so heartbreaking.

Man charged with killing college student whose remains were found in Mojave Desert
Ethan Kedar Astaphan appeared in a downtown courtroom and pleaded not guilty in the killing of Juan “Cookie” Carlos Hernandez, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Sonita Heng, 20, who is charged with being an accessory after the fact, also entered a not guilty plea. Both were ordered to return to court Dec. 1, when a date is expected to be set for a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial.

If convicted as charged, Astaphan faces a possible maximum sentence of 25 years to life in state prison, while Heng could be sentenced to up to three years in prison. Bail is set at $10 million for each defendant.

Is $10 million bail for each an uncommonly high amount? If so, what could it indicate? I hope the case has strong evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomirrin
Back