CA - Katrina Rivera, 30, & baby Josiah, Bakersfield, 8 Dec 2016 *Suspect suicide*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
maybe he did it at shift change. it is usually around 3.

I dont know. It happened in the afternoon..so you think on the medical floor would be numerous checks.
Family has been notified...the coronor only releases after family notification is made.

I'm actually kind of ok with this. Judgement day came early for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there it is.

I hope we still get some more information on his court-assigned doctor's diagnosis and anything LE learned from him over the last month. I'm also curious about how he carried out the suicide.

Seems like there might be some confusion about where he was located. I don't think he was in a medical ward when he killed himself. He was in a regular single-cell unit at the Laredo max-med (maximum-medium) security prison, I believe?

Well, there it is.

I hope we still get some more information on his court-assigned doctor's diagnosis and anything LE learned from him over the last month. I'm also curious about how he carried out the suicide.

Seems like there might be some confusion about where he was located. I don't think he was in a medical ward when he killed himself. He was in a regular single-cell unit at the Laredo max-med (maximum-medium) security prison, I believe?

Razor blade over carotid or hanging are the standard incarceration suicide methods

Razor blade over carotid or hanging are the standard incarceration suicide methods

Yeah, hanging seems most likely to me. Even if he'd been taken off suicide-watch, seems unlikely he'd be allowed access to a razor blade.

Just read in one of the weekend's news articles that the body was discovered around 3 pm on Saturday; you're probably right that he pulled it off during changing of the guards.

(Too late to edit; correction to my post above -- Vela was at 'Lerdo' facility, not 'Laredo'.)

I watched the 26 minute unedited jail interview today. Throughout the whole thing, I wondered where his attorney was. Clearly this guy is mentally ill, also seemed like he was medicated. Seemed wrong that the reporters were asking him questions which could have effected his court case.

Thankfully he saved Kern County the time & expense of a trial. Evil, sheer evil ...

He died by hanging. He was on the medical floor in prison, single cell. What confusion is was he off suicide watch? You see alot on hangings with clothing...but if he was in suicide watch he would be in paper clothes.
The investigation is ongoing and will be watching to see the outcome.
Either way his judgement day has come.

He could have tied his pants around his neck - even paper pants twisted into a rope would provide enough pressure in that case I think.

He died by hanging. He was on the medical floor in prison, single cell. What confusion is was he off suicide watch? You see alot on hangings with clothing...but if he was in suicide watch he would be in paper clothes.
The investigation is ongoing and will be watching to see the outcome.
Either way his judgement day has come.

Where are you seeing that Vela was on a medical floor, ERNurse? I haven't seen that in the media reports; only that he was in one of the facility's single-unit cells.

The Lerdo facility has two nurses on site round-the-clock for as-needed care, a visiting doctor twice a week, and visiting mental health professionals.

Since the sheriff's spokesperson said he understood that Vela wasn't on suicide watch when he killed himself, he must not have been residing in the facility's safety unit or sober unit at that time (unless the spokesperson's understanding was wrong).

Lerdo facility: http://www.kernsheriff.com/Detentions/Lerdo/MaxMed/Pages/default.aspx

Snip
Seriff's officials said Vela was not on suicide watch at the time of his death. Vela wore paper clothing in December court hearings, a common indication a defendant is on suicide watch.

"It does give the victim's family some closure; however, it did prevent the victim's family from receiving some answers that could have been forthcoming from the trial," Chief Deputy District Attorney Mark Pafford said of Vela's death.

Pafford, who had planned to personally prosecute Vela if the defendant was found competent to stand trial, said his death also robs the victim's family of the opportunity to face him in court and tell him how his actions have impacted their lives.
http://www.bakersfield.com/news/man...cle_29c4b795-79ae-594d-8d48-68beebe884da.html

it depends on how well he convinced them he was stable. when I was a CO we had a suicidal arrestee who was withdrawing from opiates. he did safety cell time, then was in the medical reception mod. did ok for a week then was moved to gen pop and a few days later on LD time he took a razor to his carotid. the inmates in gp were required to hang their razor on a loop on the window but there are 60 cells in there.

in max the inmates ask for their razor at shower time and depending on their max level they are watched or they return it.

Yeah, hanging seems most likely to me. Even if he'd been taken off suicide-watch, seems unlikely he'd be allowed access to a razor blade.

Just read in one of the weekend's news articles that the body was discovered around 3 pm on Saturday; you're probably right that he pulled it off during changing of the guards.

(Too late to edit; correction to my post above -- Vela was at 'Lerdo' facility, not 'Laredo'.)

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Nobody is going to shed a tear about this guy checking out.

It would have been nice if he had done this before he killed his girlfriend and her baby. 100% psychopath.

Everyone who knew him is probably relieved.

At about 2:55 pm, an inmate at the Kern County Sheriff's Office Lerdo( Max-Med ) Facility was found to be unresponsive in his single-person jail cell.

*"This is what I believed when they said Max-Med"

Staff immediately began life-saving measures and medical aid was sent to the facility. Medical aid attempted life-saving measures, however, the inmate was pronounced dead a short time later.

BAKERSFIELD, Calif.

The Coroner's Office has ruled that Manuel Vela hung himself in his cell at Lerdo Detention Facility last Saturday and that the manner is suicide.

In a jailhouse interview, Vela admitted to killing his pregnant girlfriend and cutting their unborn baby out of her womb last month.

A detentions deputy found Vela unresponsive in his cell just before 3 o'clock.
http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/new...in-his-cell-at-lerdo-manner-suicide/639504326

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back