CA CA - Kerry Patterson, 15, Kidnapped and Murdered, Fullerton,1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Help sought identifying person of interest in cold case homicide of 15-year-old girl in Fullerton | KTLA
fullerton.jpg

Kerry Patterson (Left) and a person of interest are seen in images provided by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

Investigators Seek Public Help In Decades Old Cold Case Murder Of 15-Year-Old Kerry Patterson
''At the time of Kerry’s killing, abductions of teens were not so unusual.
“Unfortunately, in doing this investigation, I came to realize that the abduction of teenage girls was somewhat commonplace in Southern California,” Taft said. “So there were a lot of males out there convicted of killing teenage females.”

Composite sketch of a man believed to be in the area when the teen disappeared. (OC Sheriff’s Dept.)

''In January of last year, someone came forward with information about a man they believed was in the area when Kerry was last seen. A description of the person led to a composite sketch. Investigators hope that if that person is identified, it may help generate new leads.''
December 30, 2021
OC sheriff seeks public's help solving teen girl's 1980 murder
''Investigators got a break in this cold case last year, when someone came forward with information about a man believed to be in the area at the time Kelly disappeared.''

''They have a sketch and are now trying to identify and locate him: at this point they are only calling him a person of interest.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Investigator Bob Taft at (714)647-7045 or coldcase@ocsheriff.gov. Anonymous tips can be submitted to OC Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS (855-847-6227) or at occrimestoppers.org.''

Last edited:
This is FANTASTIC! I am so happy to see this case is getting the headlines and attention it deserves after all these years. What a wonderful lead into the New Year. I am hopeful that this sketch is being given out based on additional credible information and that it will trigger others to speak up. I imagine Kerry is grateful as is her family.

What’s hard is the lack of details surrounding the significance of the composite sketch. The vague definition provided for why this person is of interest is odd. Obviously we don’t want the investigation to be compromised by releasing too much detail, but it’s a very long standing cold case at this point. We also don’t want to distract from legitimate leads either. Urg.

I will say that the attention is good for jogging memory and the important detail also mentioned is the charm necklace with a number one as well as Kerry’s outfit. Perphaps someone will run across these items or recall seeing them.

Last edited:
There is a blog by the family of Kerry Patterson that describes a recent tip on Raymond Barthlett, who was convicted of rape and murder in the area at the time:

The twists and turns of this case are unreal. Also, the number of criminals committing similar crimes is astounding.

What’s hard is the lack of details surrounding the significance of the composite sketch. The vague definition provided for why this person is of interest is odd. Obviously we don’t want the investigation to be compromised by releasing too much detail, but it’s a very long standing cold case at this point. We also don’t want to distract from legitimate leads either. Urg.

I will say that the attention is good for jogging memory and the important detail also mentioned is the charm necklace with a number one as well as Kerry’s outfit. Perphaps someone will run across these items or recall seeing them.
I first thought the girl was Mary Duggan. Could the man be Horace Van Vaultz?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn
Back