CA CA - Khymbrly Scruggs, 23, Sacramento, 12 Jan 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the 26 Jan 1997 issue of the Sacramento Bee, the suspect in the Scruggs case was a 24-year-old neighbor. He did have cuts and scratches, though the article does not specify where on his body. He ran off for three months but police eventually found him. Despite 12 hours of questioning, police had insufficient evidence to file charges. The article goes on to state that the suspect was later convicted of a rape in Lake County and sent to prison. He was paroled in 1989 after serving 8 years.

There is a Gerald Thomas Ott, age 48, currently incarcerated at Tehachapi.

A Google search revealed the following documents for Gerald Thomas Ott (born 2 Jun 1966):

http://www.sacda.org/assets/pdf/pr/cases_interest/COI_Ott.pdf

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/C070342.PDF

Guys, could this be her? There's not a lot of information since the remains are skeletal, but some children found a partial skeleton in September 1981 at Gristmill Recreation Area, which is only about six miles downriver on the American River from Khymberly's apartment. It's not listed in NamUs, so I don't know if she's been ruled out, and they don't have any details beyond knowning that Jane Doe was female, so the location is really the only thing that connects the two, but I still think it's worth checking out. Should I contact the coroner?

http://www.coroner.saccounty.net/Li...TypeId=0x0100E110048E8D184C48B947C183B06CF12D

If that doesn't work, she's case 81-01564 found Sept. 14, 1981 on the listing at http://www.coroner.saccounty.net/Pages/Unidentified-Persons.aspx

I pray they find out what happened to her soon.

I pray they find out what happened to her soon.
Well you guys...guess what I noticed yesterday? Look up doe network case number 711UFCA. It's not been uploaded to namus unidentied for some reason. Anyways i think it could be her. What do you guys think? I already emailed whoever is listed as the case contact yesterday.

Well you guys...guess what I noticed yesterday? Look up doe network case number 711UFCA. It's not been uploaded to namus unidentied for some reason. Anyways i think it could be her. What do you guys think? I already emailed whoever is listed as the case contact yesterday.

Discovered December 18, 1981 in Corona, Riverside County, California. 17 - 21 years old. Short blonde hair with red tints. 5'8", 133 lbs. Henry Lee Lucas said he picked her up and killed her.

711UFCA1.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/711ufca.html

KScruggs1.jpg
attachment.php

I don't know...Jane Doe is much heavier, somewhat higher, short hair...and probably killed by Lucas.

Khymbrly Marcella Scruggs
  • khymbrly_marcella_scruggs_1.jpg
  • khymbrly_marcella_scruggs_2.jpg
Scruggs, circa 1980

• Missing Since01/12/1980
  • Missing FromSacramento, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth08/13/1960 (58)
  • Age19 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA burgundy wool coat with camel-colored stripes.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Sandy blonde/brown hair, brown eyes. Scruggs has a chipped front tooth. At the time of her disappearance, she had a glass cut on her right shin. Scruggs may go by the nickname Khym (possibly spelled "Kim") or spell her name "Kimberly."
Details of Disappearance
Scruggs was last seen at her apartment near Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue in Sacramento, California on January 12, 1980. She talked to a friend on the phone at 6:30 p.m., and said she was scheduled to work the next day.

Scruggs's roommate was spending the night elsewhere. When she arrived home the next day, Scruggs was missing. All her belongings, including her purse, clothing and identification, were left behind in the apartment, and she had not gone to work or called to say she would be absent.

Foul play is suspected in Scruggs's case; authorities believe a neighbor murdered her and concealed her body. The suspect had cuts and scratches on his body after Scruggs's disappearance, and eluded the police for three months before he was picked up and interrogated for twelve hours.

He denied involvement in Scruggs's disappearance and was eventually sent to prison for an unrelated rape. He was paroled in 1989 has never been charged in Scruggs's case.

Scruggs was a student at California State University at Sacramento in 1980; she studied political science and international affairs and had a job as a sales clerk at Weinstocks. She is originally from Pismo Beach, California. Her case remains unsolved.

I wish there were more pictures of her, especially one with showing her chipped front tooth. Couldn't find any missing persons site exclusively for her, put up by family. A lot of the MP's have, with additional pictures.

A few days ago I almost posted this on WCJD’s thread. Simply because of the necklace. It was hard to miss and hard not to associate the two because of it! But, I did some more research on Khymbrly Marcella Scruggs and all the info led back to Ms AGJD. I submitted the information to the CC ME but she will be out until Wednesday of next week, so I’ll resubmit then. The link above is for her NamUs profile, the following is Charley Project.

—————————————————————————
Khymbrly Marcella Scruggs
  • Missing Since: 01/12/1980
  • Missing From: Sacramento, California
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth: 08/13/1960 (59)
  • Height and Weight: 5'6, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description: A burgundy wool coat with camel-colored stripes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Sandy blonde/brown hair, brown eyes. Scruggs has a chipped front tooth. At the time of her disappearance, she had a glass cut on her right shin. Scruggs may go by the nickname Khym (possibly spelled "Kim") or spell her name "Kimberly."
Details of Disappearance:
Scruggs was last seen at her apartment near Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue in Sacramento, California on January 12, 1980. She talked to a friend on the phone at 6:30 p.m., and said she was scheduled to work the next day.

Scruggs's roommate was spending the night elsewhere. When she arrived home the next day, Scruggs was missing. All her belongings, including her purse, clothing and identification, were left behind in the apartment, and she had not gone to work or called to say she would be absent.

Foul play is suspected in Scruggs's case; authorities believe a neighbor murdered her and concealed her body. The suspect had cuts and scratches on his body after Scruggs's disappearance, and eluded the police for three months before he was picked up and interrogated for twelve hours.

He denied involvement in Scruggs's disappearance and was eventually sent to prison for an unrelated rape. He was paroled in 1989 has never been charged in Scruggs's case.

Scruggs was a student at California State University at Sacramento in 1980; she studied political science and international affairs and had a job as a sales clerk at Weinstocks. She is originally from Pismo Beach, California. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Sacramento County Sheriff's Department 916-874-5467
yaIrqoH7Ezq398TYT-pOeT3cv_yQqstcS9Y1033QdARFaOutpgZTBHI49oKthvPKFDwOqsRSCQZjx2lhjq9-BBukAyR6p9fjKupDckGSOZWbU31v5_1j8NhMjLW-nLk25MPLeVbX
OfoSy67Y2bJcSwgrw2Fb9F5wMlXq-JJmNQAkjW6B8xS2_yNITrcvycbFlSPJT9ufWrHS6LVfWADzK4NAaIh2TZ7RiqfzgI7IgLrUCJwOJNz-fQgEN3_ko5y18U9c_Ilpis8xQIdz
IRuwat8_Usq4HLa7SgWx2vgsBTwJQcfQPMxjq0skBVeqmWYpsn_lZ773L7DaVkgU2ZJh6g2vUEuCwGWVZCpW26hKGM8f1-Cn6z1wj5e9uMmDRn3bYZpHRZzo47KhBpCDMYbbMN6z

————————————————————————
The following 2 photos I found via classmates/ancestry.
uRDSYHdR3sWM972dZk5210km9FiM2CrI9n8oGwvfj8VK2oq3jHNEtlyBL-U3o1G62mpW3FFOs6dxF8dLOBTdJMsHuYQKbzDeAr2TEbBjWjr1DcTdgh4AKLRdglKEgx7C8BRib8ZW
ZLmCbgO0EqqzaWyB2PwUpq2mBneC2f3BMMGz0tddfN_bPxNyKqlMUhysM9aDWRmWvUoHgrUFnp4hhj7yN_uFWqHhsBYeOb48eRhd1c_0T465FAl9mculgQxEda7MxOywna5nEhNB

Ironically, she graduated from Arroyo Grande High School in 1978. From what I’ve gathered her parents are from WV, Topeka, KS., and ultimately the San Luis Obispo area prior to their deaths. They had Khymbrly in 1960 and she grew up in the same area. I found these two photos in the ‘75 (freshman) and ‘78 (senior) Arroyo Grande yearbook. ‘76/‘77 were not available on classmates, although I admittedly have a love-hate relationship with the site so I could have missed them. I’ve read that she was attending University of Sacramento/Sacramento State University...all I found was a newspaper article that mentioned her in an awards announcement for Cuesta College in 1978. Nothing about the UOS/SSU. I’m not familiar with CA at all but the family remained in the Grover Beach/Pismo Beach/Oceano/Shell Beach area. I checked all the yearbooks for those areas and found nothing else. Newspapers.com had a couple of younger photos of her (Girl Scouts) but they were not great images. Her mother taught at Frances Judkins Middle School for awhile and her father was a Professor at Cal Poly. He passed away in 1971 and her mother remarried in 1974, but her father and stepfather’s obituary listed her as “survived by one daughter” (and one son - Khym’s brother). Her mother and stepfather even made a donation to Grover Beach Elementary in “their daughter’s name”, so it appears as though they were a close blended family. That’s just MOO, looks can be deceiving.

Other than few links listed on her thread here on WB, I couldn’t find much about the neighbor they suspected of murdering and disposing of Khymbrly. He was arrested for an unrelated rape(s) in 1982 and was sentenced to prison. Nothing ever came of his potential involvement in Khym’s disappearance.

I just realized this post is a few sentences shy of a novel, so if anyone is interested in the links to anything mentioned (newspapers, etc) just let me know!

•MMcG•

never fails... ETA: side by side

A couple of you, @Bit of hope and @Feme98 that I recall specifically, asked about a response to my submission of Khymbrly for comparison to AGJD. I received a response from the ME a week or so ago and she was asking if there was a family member who might possibly be willing to submit their DNA. I told her that I had not seen anyone actively searching for Khym, let alone a family member. I said I’d keep an eye out and notify her if I found someone.

If any of you have seen or are able to find anyone who might be able to point us in the direction of a relative, let me know and I can pass it on. Or I can find and post the ME’s contact info so that you can get in touch!

The match has not been ruled out and I’m still very hopeful they will be a match. Finding a family member may be the only way to be certain of a match or just a method to expedite the results.

TIA
•MMcG•

I’m not certain why I thought her yearbook photos showed her chipped tooth. :confused:I suppose I was just thinking about why a girl her age might typically smile without showing her teeth. In my experience, she was either not a happy person or was self conscious of her teeth. Who knows.

Quoting these posts from Arroyo Grande Jane Doe’s thread in case a friend or family member happens to be following her thread here! :fingerscrossed:

The “Gerald Thomas Ott” listed upthread can’t possibly be the person of interest in Khymbrly’s disappearance. That birthday would mean he was 14 years old (18 tops) in 1980. I’m not sure the court document (PDF) is the correct “Gerald Ott” either. I noticed most of the cited court cases are 1990’s and later. Unless he went on (and was caught) after 1989 to commit many more unspeakable crimes...

It’s worth noting the specific acts and details of several of the crimes described in this PDF! He assaulted one of his victims (on two separate occasions) with a two by four and a hammer, kicking her with his boots and beating her with a .357 pistol. Still searching for the correct “GO”, but if this court document does detail crimes committed by Khymbrly’s neighbor, I’d say it gave more reason to believe AGJD is her. JMOO

The “Gerald Thomas Ott” listed upthread can’t possibly be the person of interest in Khymbrly’s disappearance. That birthday would mean he was 14 years old (18 tops) in 1980. I’m not sure the court document (PDF) is the correct “Gerald Ott” either. I noticed most of the cited court cases are 1990’s and later. Unless he went on (and was caught) after 1989 to commit many more unspeakable crimes...

It’s worth noting the specific acts and details of several of the crimes described in this PDF! He assaulted one of his victims (on two separate occasions) with a two by four and a hammer, kicking her with his boots and beating her with a .357 pistol. Still searching for the correct “GO”, but if this court document does detail crimes committed by Khymbrly’s neighbor, I’d say it gave more reason to believe AGJD is her. JMOO

But AGJD doesn't have a chipped front tooth and is estimated to be a lot younger than previously thought. I don't see the resemblance IMO and the Doe Network says Khymbrly has DNA available. Likely it is on file in CA and hasn't been submitted to Namus. The state of CA is notorious for that.

But AGJD doesn't have a chipped front tooth and is estimated to be a lot younger than previously thought. I don't see the resemblance IMO and the Doe Network says Khymbrly has DNA available. Likely it is on file in CA and hasn't been submitted to Namus. The state of CA is notorious for that.
I posted a few side by sides of the two girls, and AGJD does have a chipped tooth which can be seen in the artist’s reconstruction photo. I believe AGJD is estimated to be anywhere from 14 to early/mid 20’s. Khymbrly was 19. It does state that DNA is available, I’m never certain what that means. I’m guessing that is why the NV ME was asking about a possible relative.

I think the resemblance and circumstances match almost perfectly! But, I have been known to be wrong (a lot ;) ). Hopefully we hear something soon! Thanks for the feedback!

I posted a few side by sides of the two girls, and AGJD does have a chipped tooth which can be seen in the artist’s reconstruction photo. I believe AGJD is estimated to be anywhere from 14 to early/mid 20’s. Khymbrly was 19. It does state that DNA is available, I’m never certain what that means. I’m guessing that is why the NV ME was asking about a possible relative.

I think the resemblance and circumstances match almost perfectly! But, I have been known to be wrong (a lot ;) ). Hopefully we hear something soon! Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone know why it says she was 23 in the Thread title?

Be careful with the side by sides. We have been burned by them before.

As for the tooth, the artist recon you posted was from Carlk, the chip isn't a chip, it was once thought that it was a space between her tooth 7 and tooth 8. But upon further inspection by forensic dentists they now believe that the space between her teeth was not a true space but a break in her upper jaw bone due to her vicious assault. AGJD dentals are available with a Google search and you can see she doesn't have any chipped front teeth. Carl has updated his recon of her to omit this gap.

BUT since we have no evidence to the contrary, it is still worthwhile to look for someone related so we can definitively rule her in or out!

Anyone know why it says she was 23 in the Thread title?

Be careful with the side by sides. We have been burned by them before.

As for the tooth, the artist recon you posted was from Carlk, the chip isn't a chip, it was once thought that it was a space between her tooth 7 and tooth 8. But upon further inspection by forensic dentists they now believe that the space between her teeth was not a true space but a break in her upper jaw bone due to her vicious assault. AGJD dentals are available with a Google search and you can see she doesn't have any chipped front teeth. Carl has updated his recon of her to omit this gap.

BUT since we have no evidence to the contrary, it is still worthwhile to look for someone related so we can definitively rule her in or out!
Initially her date of disappearance was listed as sometime in 1984. To my understanding, the date was changed at some point. I believe there is a post upthread from someone who knew Khym.

I truly appreciate you pointing that out about the side by sides! I had no idea and no one’s mentioned it. So thank you!

I have not seen the dentals for AGJD (that I can recall) but I do remember it being said that whatever ‘space’ was visible was likely caused by an injury she sustained at or near the time of her death. I just figure it would be easier to severely damage an already broken tooth. But I am admittedly no dental expert! ;) I will check to see if I’ve saved her dental images somewhere and if not I’ll search for those and Carl’s other recon!

Thanks for being honest and informative! Much appreciated!

•MMcG•

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston
Back