Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI was involved because there was a possible abduction - which by my understanding is foul play. I briefly unglued myself from searching for bizarre psychic dreams and technical minutia and found this.

The search for Kiely involved multiple agencies, including the FBI, which investigated her disappearance as a possible child abduction following reports that the party grew to such a large size that there were people there that Kiely and her friends didn't know.
Yes. They said maybe 200-300 + people attended
at points throughout the night, but few offered any info.

Also as @Curiosa20 said - her age was a factor why the so many agencies were involved.

And also earlydays - (maybe thread #1), it was said that
the Sheriff of Posner County said
that the park is bounded by both California and Nevada so it becomes an
interstate concern - where the FBI is then notified.

The Sheriff said that there is about 50 combined state efforts a year to solve these shared interstate problems.

Coincidentally, early on, someone added that K's High school
is 1 of 4 sister-schools, (some of whom are in Calif and Nevada )
who may do combined events.
So the communities interact more than usual for neighboring state communities.

Foul play…or maybe a culture where parents actively allow underage drinking and recreational drugs, drink driving (as so many back roads) etc as nothing else much to do around there - bear in mind kids at that party would have been kids of LE/local authorities too - so if was accidental OD or alcohol related death then there will be questions as to who supplied the drugs / alcohol which could be parents or even the kids of LE - so maybe the parents too want to sweep it under the carpet? Who knows!!!

Or….hopefully…they are fully invested and when their reports come out we will be shocked how much we don’t know which is often the case, or all the things that seem suspicious are explained and it was a tragic accident.

I recently came across a video about someone (prefers to remain anonymous) who had been to the same party and saw Kiely and observed a few things.
I am not sure though if i'm allowed to link it

I recently came across a video about someone (prefers to remain anonymous) who had been to the same party and saw Kiely and observed a few things.
I am not sure though if i'm allowed to link it

I am not sure if that is allowed either, but I for one am very interested in their observations. I wonder if they shared their observations with LE?

If that happened then why didn't the passenger tell LE, or Kiely's family it was an accident.
If the accident involved another person in the car, I can imagine a few reasons they may not have come forward. That person may have been a legal adult who supplied a minor with alcohol. That person may have been actually driving the car, and inebriated, and subject to vehicular homicide charges. That person may simply feel guilty for escaping and surviving when Kiely did not. Just a few theories.

I still believe this was a solo accident with Kiely behind the wheel. But a thorough investigation is necessary to help to determine. As much as I love AWP’s work, and believe without them Kiely‘s remains would not have been located and recovered, I do wish they had not publicized their speculation on the circumstances. But once they did, social media ran with it, and here we are.

Foul play or total accident? We don’t yet know.

jmo

Yes, I suspect during the span of time between AWP finding KR's car at about noon on 8/21 and when the FBI pulled it out around dusk, LE was (hopefully) meticulously documenting the underwater scene with video to inventory items and their location in and around KR's car. What else would they be doing?

Has anyone seen / heard that stated by LE?
We know now that LE did NOT meticulously documenting the underwater scene. It is astounding to me that the public found the laptop, hairbrush, and other belongings by diving the scene and LE did not. Even after the laptop was found they did not put divers in??

The recovery of Kiely and the SUV was unsettling at the time, with LE possibly breaking a window in order to turn the SUV over and bring it to shore. But we have to figure that LE knows what they are doing, right? They are professionals. They would never have dragged a vehicle to shore with items spilling out along the way, and not gone back to retrieve them? They would have swept the area, I would think? I wonder What morale was like at the scene. Was LE appreciative of AWP or were they focused on finishing the job that they were unable to do? I sincerely hope that ego didn’t play a role in any of the decisions that were made at the scene.

We know now that LE did NOT meticulously documenting the underwater scene. It is astounding to me that the public found the laptop, hairbrush, and other belongings by diving the scene and LE did not. Even after the laptop was found they did not put divers in??
Well @Speculaytor, I don't believe we know what LE / FBI did underwater for several hours before turning KR's vehicle over and pulling it out. But I suggest this. There could be a vast difference between what they likely meticulously documented by video / pictures and notations versus what they sloppily left behind at the scene. At least I hope so! IMO

If that happened then why didn't the passenger tell LE, or Kiely's family it was an accident.
Well, @5W's, I suspect whether the driver or passenger, IF they were in the car with KR when it went into Prosser Lake and got out, they weighed in their mind the benefit of staying quiet vs. the risk of coming forward to LE. In other words, they may have had a lot to loose if they told LE or KR's family what happened.

All we need to do is look back at the 1969 Chappaquiddick Incident to answer your question about how some people think.

Well @Speculaytor, I don't believe we know what LE / FBI did underwater for several hours before turning KR's vehicle over and pulling it out. But I suggest this. There could be a vast difference between what they likely meticulously documented by video / pictures and notations versus what they sloppily left behind at the scene. At least I hope so! IMO
True, maybe they did document the underwater scene - and you’d think after reviewing the footage they would go back if they saw a laptop or other personal belongings. Maybe some of these items were under the car so they wouldn’t have shown up in footage of the scene. And by the time her car was pulled from the lake it was dark and it didn’t look like anyone stayed in the water documenting the after-scene. I think there is a slight chance there could have been foul play but IMO LE doesn’t, or I’d hope they would’ve handled the scene & the retrieval in a different manner.

I also don’t think this accident (?) will change anything in that area, as far as underage drinking/partying. I think it’s just part of life up there (& has been for a very long time) and they don’t want that part of their lives to change or for anything to spoil that fun. Especially not possible foul play. Is anyone from that area still active on this thread? We had a few people for awhile - It’d be interesting to hear from them if they’ve noticed or heard anything, any messages about safety or responsibility, since this happened.

MOO

True, maybe they did document the underwater scene - and you’d think after reviewing the footage they would go back if they saw a laptop or other personal belongings. Maybe some of these items were under the car so they wouldn’t have shown up in footage of the scene. And by the time her car was pulled from the lake it was dark and it didn’t look like anyone stayed in the water documenting the after-scene. I think there is a slight chance there could have been foul play but IMO LE doesn’t, or I’d hope they would’ve handled the scene & the retrieval in a different manner.

I also don’t think this accident (?) will change anything in that area, as far as underage drinking/partying. I think it’s just part of life up there (& has been for a very long time) and they don’t want that part of their lives to change or for anything to spoil that fun. Especially not possible foul play. Is anyone from that area still active on this thread? We had a few people for awhile - It’d be interesting to hear from them if they’ve noticed or heard anything, any messages about safety or responsibility, since this happened.

MOO
I fear you are right. Nothing will change, except perhaps the names and faces gathered 'round, singing Kumbaya, after the next senseless tragedy happens at, or because of, a party at the Sanctuary. JMO

Last edited:
I fear you are right. Nothing will change, except perhaps the faces gathered 'round, singing Kumbaya, when the next senseless tragedy happens at, or because of, a party at the Sanctuary. JMO

Agree it’s all very sad. I hope my next statement is not misconstrued in any way. I know that small business owners, in general, need to show support for their local community in order to be successful. I wonder if that is driving any of the recent statements. If an area is publicized as having problems with drugs or drinking, that can be problematic in attracting customers and even selling real estate. Negative publicity, in other words.

I also don’t think this accident (?) will change anything in that area, as far as underage drinking/partying. I think it’s just part of life up there (& has been for a very long time) and they don’t want that part of their lives to change or for anything to spoil that fun.
I think the fun's already been spoiled by the death of one of their own. But as teenagers, many will still think that it won't happen to them.
What I think the community needs is to build some kind of recreational facility that gives these kids a safe alternative to get together and have something to do.
I'm sure part of their "fun" is getting trashed and not being around adults, but I believe there needs to be some cultural change in thinking that this is the only option for teens to get together.

Jmo

Last edited:
Kiely's phone:

It is possible Kiely was clothed when she was found and her cell phone was in a pocket of her clothing.
If that is so, LE may now be in possession of it.

Kiely's mother has stated "We got this."
In my opinion, those words are significant, and support the idea that she/the family is confident LE are effectively and efficiently managing the investigation into Kiely's death.

Standing by...

I conducted a little experiment with my 2013 Honda Pilot. The factory-installed lift strap is really short. There's no way it could get stuck in the tailgate when closed.

Attachments

• stra 3.jpg
    stra 3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 23
  • strap 2.jpg
    strap 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 20
  • strap 4.jpg
    strap 4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 25
I conducted a little experiment with my 2013 Honda Pilot. The factory-installed lift strap is really short. There's no way it could get stuck in the tailgate when closed.
Great research!

Another OP posted upthread - T5-7 (?) - a test on their CR-V (? year) and said the rear roof seatbelt strap (for center rear seat / child car seat) could be stretched 5 feet beyond the back hatch, IIRC. But it retracts. So if that was hanging out the bottom of KR's rear hatch door then it would have to be purposeful, IMO.

@Sillybilly up this thread also postulated it could be KR's black grommetted belt hanging out the bottom of KR's car's back hatch. If so, whether that indictates malfeasance or a hastily thrown in belt in the dark was further discussed up thread.

All IMO.

Great research!

Another OP posted upthread - T5-7 (?) - a test on their CR-V (? year) and said the rear roof seatbelt strap (for center rear seat / child car seat) could be stretched 5 feet beyond the back hatch, IIRC. But it retracts. So if that was hanging out the bottom of KR's rear hatch door then it would have to be purposeful, IMO.

@Sillybilly up this thread also postulated it could be KR's black grommetted belt hanging out the bottom of KR's car's back hatch. If so, whether that indictates malfeasance or a hastily thrown in belt in the dark was further discussed up thread.

All IMO.
I don't think we should assume the rear roof seatbelt strap WAS in working order.
If the holder on the ceiling was inoperable, the belt would be even longer and laying about, easily out the closed hatch.

The recovery of Kiely and the SUV was unsettling at the time, with LE possibly breaking a window in order to turn the SUV over and bring it to shore. But we have to figure that LE knows what they are doing, right? They are professionals. They would never have dragged a vehicle to shore with items spilling out along the way, and not gone back to retrieve them? They would have swept the area, I would think? I wonder What morale was like at the scene. Was LE appreciative of AWP or were they focused on finishing the job that they were unable to do? I sincerely hope that ego didn’t play a role in any of the decisions that were made at the scene.
I think the scene and the removal of the car speaks for itself.

<modsnip - quoted post was remove for violation of TOS>
Youtube wasn't such a big deal when we watched Tim Miller search for missing people. He wasn't approached by probably 100s of people asking for interviews. But, everyone supported Tim Miller, BTW I'm a very big fan of Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members