Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But this isn't fiction, though. We can't just dispute what LE accepted from the RA company. Its been accepted as fact by Websleuths. Its been posted numerous times so if there's a doubt one can go find the postings and judge for themselves. If something doesn't fit a particular mold but it happened then are we just suppose to overlook what actually happened?

at 9/10/22 10:43pm Sillybilly said:
<rsbm>

Just for the record going forward, Kiely was last seen Saturday, August 6 approx 12:33 am. The auto service guy said it was somewhere around 11:00 am to noon Saturday, Aug. 6 or Sunday, Aug. 7.

From my understanding of Sillybilly 's note of 9/10/22 10:43pm ,
this is the baseline, WS is working from.

( the party night at the park when K was last seen and approximately
her phone's last ping )

Yeah, I appreciate that both are retired detectives and they seem level-headed. In the video you linked I was a bit skeptical about the retired NYC medical examiner but she ended up giving an easy to understand explanation of the position Kiely's body was in when diver Nick spotted her. It helped Nick to know that her position wasn't necessarily suspicious by itself.

BTW, I appreciate Nick's eagerness to learn more about what he encountered. It was his first dive for a recent case and understandably he wanted to know the differences from recovering a long time submersion.

Also the video goes on to talk about what information might be gathered from the car's computer. I hope investigators will be able to glean much since the car sat in water for so long. And I hope the coroner will be able to determine cause of death and manner of death.

From the transcript: Warning!! Graphic description follows!!

42:08 [Diver Nick] ... sure i got a couple questions that i can ask that i've thought about

42:13 um and this one would go to um barbara maybe as a medical examiner is there a specific

42:21 time period that a person would be under water before the gases or whatever in their assisted

42:28 would create them to bloat and become buoyant?
[Barbara] um that's a good question nick and you

42:34 know when a body is when a person drowns and when a body is dumped in the water and it's cold they

42:40 sink um when the water is warm like in new york in the springtime we suddenly begin

42:46 to find bodies in the rivers because the bacteria that have been dormant in

42:53 the cold when they are warmed up they begin their bacterial

42:58 decomposition actions which produces gases and bloating

43:03 and as soon as you said that she was floating with her back up this way and

43:09 you know limbs hanging down that made sense to me that she has undergone a good deal of decomposition

43:17 um the body would float if even if she was in the driver's seat

43:22
the gases in the abdomen are going to make that body try to float to the surface

43:28 it can't because the car is there so now she's going to be in the upside down car

43:35 with limbs hanging so the decomposition would be would be fairly

43:40 uh advanced after two weeks in warm water okay and yeah 75 degree water would be

43:47 considered somewhat warm okay yeah yeah that's warm...
Hypothetical, what if her car with her entered the water later then the night of the party. Would they be able to pinpoint PMI? Probably not in terms of days, more likely weeks?

The thing is they are professionals so they wouldn't hold anything back that would be pertinant to an LE investigation so to assume otherwise is not doing justice to the deceased and missing.
They are very much professionals at what they do. But I'm not sure they'd necessarily recognize the significance of each of the case-related details brought to their attention. I know I sure wouldn't. I'm sure they'd turn over anything that they recognized as significant though.

<modsnip>

I haven’t forgotten that it was SS that initially said that someone must know something and wasn’t coming forward. And I haven’t forgotten that their local LE jumped in and reinforced the idea that other people had to have information, and that they were treating the case as an abduction. With the FBI involved, it was only natural that the public would consider foul play. And until LE comes forward and rules it out, people will continue to consider foul play. It’s what we do. It’s natural for people to ask questions. Kiely would still be missing if not for social media and the reach out to AWP. Gotta take the bitter with the sweet.

Perhaps when the initial stage of her grief has subsided, LR-N will be able to her use her words to encourage positive action. Personally, I hope she will be able to spread the word to LE of the dangers of these types of parties, and have them shut down. At a minimum, to get word out to teens of how to watch out for one another.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypothetical, what if her car with her entered the water later then the night of the party. Would they be able to pinpoint PMI? Probably not in terms of days, more likely weeks?
I've been contemplating the same question. Can investigators determine specifically when KR's car entered Prosser Lake?

My focus is on Nick the RA guy's story and the consequential delay in KR's car going into Prosser Lake, if true.

My hope is that the car's EDR / Black Box would, among many data points, have the precise date and time KR's car made impact with / was submerged under water. I just haven't seen that particular data point listed in EDR data sets here.

If that date stamp wasn't 8/6 between 12:00am and 6:00am, for instance, I'd think LE would see foul play as more likely since it would mean KR and her car were put in the lake long after the party.

Can anyone confirm an EDR would provide the date and time of an incident?

IMO.

BTW, I appreciate Nick's eagerness to learn more about what he encountered. It was his first dive for a recent case and understandably he wanted to know the differences from recovering a long time submersion.
This was one of the reasons why I don’t think AWP should be making public statements about what they found and what it means.

I have thought, almost from the beginning, that this tragic death was nothing more than a single MVA, with a likely highly impaired driver accidentally driving into the lake. At this point, I still feel that is far more likely to be true than any scenario that involves foul play. Having said that, I think many parents of teens that were likely at the party also want to believe it was an accident, and, for their own selfish reasons, do not wish to learn differently, and are ready to close the book on the investigation. I fear this may include some close to Kiely.

Regardless of what the investigation may ultimately reveal, I do hope that it is thorough, and conclusive, and hope that things revealed may lead to a change in attitudes, by many in that area, that for too long have looked the other way, rather than confront what seems to be a dangerous tradition that, left unchecked, will surely lead to more heartache in time.

<modsnip - quoted post criticizing family member was removed>

As for "mind your own business"... I highly doubt she's talking to or about people that helped out with the case like the laptop finder. Key word... HELPED. IMO I feel she's talking about all the people that are snooping into all of their lives, family and friends alike. It's like the TOS that we're not allowed to do here (snoop into innocent people's lives and rip them apart). There is no TOS out there so I can't even imagine what they are going through. And I really think mind your own business means EXACTLY what she said in her speech:

Unfortunately, the social media frenzy has become such a monster that our teens are suffering. And we want to create a safe space for them to heal together without fear of something being taken out of context. To anyone who gains pleasure or satisfaction from commenting online - I ask you to take a moment to look inward and to try to recognise your motive. Remember the three gates that all words should flow through. Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful? I implore you to remember that there is honour in silence and there is kindness in minding your own business.

You are talking about the death of my child. Our communities child. It's time to let our children mourn their friend quietly, peacefully. I hope you can find other more beautiful and helpful ways to spend your time and remember Kiely. Call your mom. Take a walk. Pick up a new hobby. Please know, we got this. Let her rest.

Me again... for all the online detectives out there (I'm NOT talking about websleuths or anyone that's truly legit and helpful) that believe every conspiracy theory, get caught up in every rabbit hole they read about on SM & tabloids, and spread disinformation that get some people so incensed that they can't even see straight... then slander, abuse, stalk, threaten, etc., what very well likely are innocent people. That ain't cool and THAT'S what they are dealing with and in MY opinion, is what "mind your own business" means. If those people think they really know something, then tell LE, don't take matters into your own hands. And "those people" that are snooping and harassing (until proven otherwise) innocent people, yet don't even have all the info that LE does, yet STILL think they know more than LE. SMH

Again, I was not talking about websleuths or anyone that's truly legit and helpful. And all the above is MOO. :)

Right, I mean we have no idea what she means? I took it to mean everyone who is not local, not a friend or family member.

Which is understandable. This would be an unimaginably awful way for the world to "know" your talented young daughter. She comes across as wanting to protect all of the local young people, which again, is understandable. It's a small area, and she probably has known many of them since they were infants.

We're talking about the bigger picture--what could have happened that caused or contributed to her daughter's death. She's obviously coming at this from a place we're not at, even though many of us are parents, and we're interested at least partly because we realize it could be any of our teens or young adults out on a weekend in a situation like this one.

And then, of course, we're interested because we are interested in this kind of thing. She probably isn't. I mean, I don't tell many people offline that I try and match up unidentified remains to long missing people late at night when I can't sleep. Most people would wonder why on earth I do THAT? We'd probably have a hard time convincing her we mean well.

My hope is that the car's EDR / Black Box would, among many data points, have the precise date and time KR's car made impact with / was submerged under water. I just haven't seen that particular data point listed in EDR data sets here.
Snipping and bolding my own post, so I don't have to be respectful, right? ;)

OK, I feel a bit dense having to retrace old sleuthing ground on this case. So far I have found EDR data points required by the NHTSA for newer cars (below). But that likely excludes the 2013 model year since the regulation was passed 2012.

For some older model years, I have found information indicating many EDRs only recorded air bag deployment. So the key to answer my own question is to determine what specific EDR data a 2013 Honda CRV would collect?

This is from a 2020 law article: What Your Car’s EDR May Reveal About Your Driving Habits

ET: fix minor typos

1663000319599.png

Last edited:
I have thought, almost from the beginning, that this tragic death was nothing more than a single MVA, with a likely highly impaired driver accidentally driving into the lake. At this point, I still feel that is far more likely to be true than any scenario that involves foul play. Having said that, I think many parents of teens that were likely at the party also want to believe it was an accident, and, for their own selfish reasons, do not wish to learn differently, and are ready to close the book on the investigation. I fear this may include some close to Kiely.

Regardless of what the investigation may ultimately reveal, I do hope that it is thorough, and conclusive, and hope that things revealed may lead to a change in attitudes, by many in that area, that for too long have looked the other way, rather than confront what seems to be a dangerous tradition that, left unchecked, will surely lead to more heartache in time.
Well said, @SteveP.

As for "mind your own business"... I highly doubt she's talking to or about people that helped out with the case like the laptop finder. Key word... HELPED. IMO I feel she's talking about all the people that are snooping into all of their lives, family and friends alike. It's like the TOS that we're not allowed to do here (snoop into innocent people's lives and rip them apart). There is no TOS out there so I can't even imagine what they are going through. And I really think mind your own business means EXACTLY what she said in her speech:

Unfortunately, the social media frenzy has become such a monster that our teens are suffering. And we want to create a safe space for them to heal together without fear of something being taken out of context. To anyone who gains pleasure or satisfaction from commenting online - I ask you to take a moment to look inward and to try to recognise your motive. Remember the three gates that all words should flow through. Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful? I implore you to remember that there is honour in silence and there is kindness in minding your own business.

You are talking about the death of my child. Our communities child. It's time to let our children mourn their friend quietly, peacefully. I hope you can find other more beautiful and helpful ways to spend your time and remember Kiely. Call your mom. Take a walk. Pick up a new hobby. Please know, we got this. Let her rest.

Me again... for all the online detectives out there (I'm NOT talking about websleuths or anyone that's truly legit and helpful) that believe every conspiracy theory, get caught up in every rabbit hole they read about on SM & tabloids, and spread disinformation that get some people so incensed that they can't even see straight... then slander, abuse, stalk, threaten, etc., what very well likely are innocent people. That ain't cool and THAT'S what they are dealing with and in MY opinion, is what "mind your own business" means. If those people think they really know something, then tell LE, don't take matters into your own hands. And "those people" that are snooping and harassing (until proven otherwise) innocent people, yet don't even have all the info that LE does, yet STILL think they know more than LE. SMH

Again, I was not talking about websleuths or anyone that's truly legit and helpful. And all the above is MOO. :)

I only read about this case on Websleuths, which is heavily moderated to keep people within respectful boundaries. But based on her addressing social media at large, I imagine they have received tidal waves of vitriol and judgment from the social media public.

Probably things that are true to some degree but not helpful at this point.

And then, of course, we're interested because we are interested in this kind of thing. She probably isn't. I mean, I don't tell many people offline that I try and match up unidentified remains to long missing people late at night when I can't sleep. Most people would wonder why on earth I do THAT? We'd probably have a hard time convincing her we mean well.

^rsbm

Agree. And cases like the ones you stay up at night working on really do need the help. Thanks for doing that.

Heck, I’ve been on cases where family of the missing join the thread as insiders and give us additional information and ask for our help. In fact, I think it’s time I move on from this case and go over to one of those missing persons threads where help is needed.

Hopefully, the final MAIT investigation and medical results will bring closure to Kiely’s family and to the overall case.

jmo

Does anyone have a screenshot of this post please. I can't find it. It was kindly transcribed. It was a call log of police reports. Thank you
Here is @airyberry's original post with the NVCO call log screen shot.
And here is my post responding to airyberry's post, transcribing that 8/23 log - the one you posted a screen shot of just now.

I follow Facebook, Twitter and all kinds of podcast about this case and there are some real good and professional people with integrity, but also people with bad intentions out there. One thing I noticed, being around for a while.....whatever is said or left out, done or not done, written, whatever facial expressions, emotions shown, lack of emotions, tone of voice, etc. It will never be "good enough" for some people. There will always be criticism or worse; scolding, insinuations and what not. Some people loose their minds over the smallest things and screaming things out on SM, without taking the effort to acquaint them selves with the (status of the) facts. I think this is where Kiely's mother is referring to.

I think it says more about who they are then the people they drag through the mud. Ego's with a lack of self reflection and compassion, incapable of thinking "Hé...wait a minute....what if this was me loosing my loved one or being in such and such situation?". Examples I've seen a lot people saying, without reading the article or post, things like: yup, the husband did it or I'm sure she is guilty...or worse, having already a punishment at hand. On WS things like that are far less. That's why I'm happy with this community.

After all I've seen, heard or read I honestly still can't decide in what "camp" I'm in...Sometimes I think I know (talking about feelings of knowing)...but then I don't. It would be best to keep it that way. I want LE to find out what happened, giving it their best. For now there is nothing that makes me think of corruption, cover ups or lack of due diligence. AWP did a great job finding Kiely (yes, I also think they should be careful with what they say) and Kiely's mom?...she can do whatever she wants and say whatever she likes. I can or can't like it but it's non of my business.

Is it even relevant or helpful what I think?

Last edited:
Yeah this is why I threw in the hypothetical, we don't know what the rest of the interview looked like so there's a possibility he said something much more convincing. I don't think AWP would risk their reputation like this, but really anything is possible at this point. Time will tell us all, I don't personally have an opinion on their validity because I think it's a little absurd and from the start their comment on the "agencies" made me feel like the police didn't welcome them fully, so that's always in the back of my head. It's quite possible there was a cover up, and it's also possible they're wrong and it's just a tragic accident. It's good to question all angles imo. I just don't personally want to speculate because there just isn't enough solid information.
I've seen interviews with awp where they state that the tow truck driver checked out to be credible but they couldn't put all the information they have in the video because it's an ongoing investigation..they have said this several times a out parts of their video that there is more than what the public has seen

Doug answering questions

It begins at 26:39 to approximately 32:00. There are more Q&A's which you can listen to. Very elucidating. Thank you for snipping his part of this incredibly long interview. There is no transcript option available.
Regrettably, I listened to that segment and a bit more, again.
AWP Doug did not confirm or address in that segment any of the questions asked by McBridey.
In fact, he spent several minutes qualifying RA’s report- leaving plenty of wiggle room saying in essence… but.. lots of blond girls in California, millions of the same hats, and keep in mind that RA “put it all together” a week later when he finally saw a flyer…. all in response to the question “do you think it was Kiely?”
And nothing about the license plate being Kiely’s car.
The difference that exists between AWP verified that RA made a report to LE and that report being corroborated by LE as having been a confirmed encounter AND Kiely’s car are two very different realities!
Considering someone credible does not mean that their statements or experience can be proven. It does not mean on face value that they are true or lies or tricks of memory. It means that the person presents information or an experience that in the moment seems plausible, worthy of consideration.
In the context of a missing child investigation, it does not seem appropriate on any level to exploit that and drag innocents into the fray.
RA was at Boca, now understood to be on Saturday around 11-12. He must have dealt with a blond and a brown haired male teen. Great.
Why AWP decided to film and record more detailed information implying that they got the goods, only to be released later depending on how the investigation goes, according to Doug, is IMO problematic to say the least.
I would think that the fact that a vehicle with wheels was identified hours before LE was notified, then filmed, may have been a factor in why by Doug’s acknowledgement AWP film and diving crew were ordered to leave the perimeter and not consulted for the retrieval.
They are great at discovery and deserve recognition for that. I will assume they have good experience in retrieval. It is irrelevant anyway since they were not ever an official element of the search. They are not known for being investigators of an active missing child search investigative team.
I saw 2 videos where LE retrieved one vehicle with remains while AWP was sent off in the distance to watch and another dramatic event where they coordinated with another crew and got permission from LE et al agencies beforehand in a complicated recovery of a very cold case. IMO they are going to have to up their credentials or change their promotional marketing style before being made consultants or considered trustworthy for a high profile active investigation.
For those entertaining the fantasy scenario of AWP doing undercover work for LE, trying to ensare someone through the sensationalized video, I say that is way off track. MOO

^rsbm

Agree. And cases like the ones you stay up at night working on really do need the help. Thanks for doing that.

Heck, I’ve been on cases where family of the missing join the thread as insiders and give us additional information and ask for our help. In fact, I think it’s time I move on from this case and go over to one of those missing persons threads where help is needed.

Hopefully, the final MAIT investigation and medical results will bring closure to Kiely’s family and to the overall case.

jmo
I feel the same. I think there are cases where help is needed—hopefully I’ll find a niche somewhere out there and can do some good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025