Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE releases information to the public when it is in the best interest of an ongoing investigation. They may also withhold information when it is in the best interest of their investigation. We are in the middle ground here, not knowing for sure either way but discussing all possibilities, and it wouldn't be a crime sleuthing forum if we didn't consider the possibility that a crime may have occurred.

Unless LE officially announces that this incident was nothing more than misadventure, members can reasonably speculate on foul play based on information that is publicly available via approved sources.

Nick's description is not hearsay. Hearsay is when it is something related by another person. In this instance, the information came directly from him as a possible witness. What he had to say may or may not be relevant or truthful but it is up to each individual how much weight they wish to apply to what he had to say. True sleuthers aren't about to simply write it off as BS and conclude this was nothing more than an accident without discussing every single aspect of what is available to them.

I doubt AWP is in the business of ruining their established reputation by lying to the public. As for their video having been edited, that may not be sketchy at all. It is possible LE has asked them remove some information that they don't wish the public to know or they themselves have decided it could be detrimental to an ongoing investigation.

It is not a disservice to a family who wants the truth about what happened to their loved one as opposed to what is simply more comfortable for them to believe.
BAM! I luv this post!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read my entire statement, I said I admire the work of AWP. What I don‘t admire is AWP going off on theories and innuendo. They are not forensics experts or criminal investigators.
I don’t think there is anyone who was not pleased that AWP found KR.

Once they found Kiely I think they should let LE do their job, as now they are out of their area of expertise. If they get leads based on their popularity and some people being more comfortable reaching out to them, then they should help these tipsters turn over information to LE to follow up on it. And if they have their own theories based on their experience and what they witnessed themselves, they should share that information with LE. JMO.

While I can't bear to watch another YouTube video, I suspect the "Saturday" confirmation for Nick the DA guy's supposed sighting, may have started with this Duty Don interview by the two former NYPD detectives, a former non-physician NYPD medical examiner chief of staff (honoring all three today, 9/11!)) and Doug from AWP. It was posted up thread. Here it is.

Yeah, I appreciate that both are retired detectives and they seem level-headed. In the video you linked I was a bit skeptical about the retired NYC medical examiner but she ended up giving an easy to understand explanation of the position Kiely's body was in when diver Nick spotted her. It helped Nick to know that her position wasn't necessarily suspicious by itself.

BTW, I appreciate Nick's eagerness to learn more about what he encountered. It was his first dive for a recent case and understandably he wanted to know the differences from recovering a long time submersion.

Also the video goes on to talk about what information might be gathered from the car's computer. I hope investigators will be able to glean much since the car sat in water for so long. And I hope the coroner will be able to determine cause of death and manner of death.

From the transcript: Warning!! Graphic description follows!!

42:08 [Diver Nick] ... sure i got a couple questions that i can ask that i've thought about

42:13 um and this one would go to um barbara maybe as a medical examiner is there a specific

42:21 time period that a person would be under water before the gases or whatever in their assisted

42:28 would create them to bloat and become buoyant?
[Barbara] um that's a good question nick and you

42:34 know when a body is when a person drowns and when a body is dumped in the water and it's cold they

42:40 sink um when the water is warm like in new york in the springtime we suddenly begin

42:46 to find bodies in the rivers because the bacteria that have been dormant in

42:53 the cold when they are warmed up they begin their bacterial

42:58 decomposition actions which produces gases and bloating

43:03 and as soon as you said that she was floating with her back up this way and

43:09 you know limbs hanging down that made sense to me that she has undergone a good deal of decomposition

43:17 um the body would float if even if she was in the driver's seat

43:22
the gases in the abdomen are going to make that body try to float to the surface

43:28 it can't because the car is there so now she's going to be in the upside down car

43:35 with limbs hanging so the decomposition would be would be fairly

43:40 uh advanced after two weeks in warm water okay and yeah 75 degree water would be

43:47 considered somewhat warm okay yeah yeah that's warm...

It is too bad that LE didn’t find KR’s car in the first days after her disappearance. We all wish that they had. That AWP came in and found it very quickly made many question LE’s dedication to this task. As I watched the early days unfold, I saw a deep commitment from the various LE agencies. They put hundred’s of hours of searching both on land and in the water. In addition to searching they were following up tips, conducting many, many interviews, begging party goers to come forward with statements and video, and obtaining warrants for digital devices. I am not stating that mistakes weren’t made. I don’t really know. It is important to realize that LE did not know how or why Kiely disappeared. They had a minimum of 2 counties to search with forest roads, lakes, rivers etc.
The water in Prosser Creek Reservoir was much more shallow when AWP arrived on the scene. They had a very focused area in which to search. And, they do this type of search exclusively. I wonder how many times local law enforcement have performed under water searches? I liken it to having a world renown chef bake a cake next to an amateur making their very first cake. I wonder which one would come out better?
As much as I admire the work done by AWP, I think they are being totally irresponsible in the public statements they are making at this point. I think the quick recovery went to their head. If they feel strongly about what they think, let them make a statement after LE releases the results of their investigation. Right now, as far as I am concerned, they are only adding to the rumor mill and the anguish of KR’s family. MOO
I will say LE had zero to go on in the beginning. I don’t fault them for not finding Kiely, IMO they did what they could with what they had. The fact that NO ONE from the party came forward with useful information really and the possibility that LE own kids were at the party IMO didn’t sit well with some. AWP did spend time debriefing with the other agencies involved after the car was pulled from the water. How do we know LE didn’t approve AWP putting what they did in the video? Knowing that we haven’t seen the entire interview with the RA guy leads me to believe LE knows and could be hoping someone may come forward.
IMO

Just out of idle curiosity, I searched "2013 CRV recalls". One popped up.

"Recall consequence
If the gear selector is moved from the park position without pressing the brake pedal it can allow the vehicle to roll away, increasing the risk of a crash."

I wonder if KR's CRV had that defect? And if so, had it been fixed?

JMO

ETA - Recall applied to cars in sub-freezing temperatures. Still interesting to me though.

Last edited:
This stands out to me in mom's statement and I like it very much. Good to apply that here and in daily life. Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful? I would like to add: Is it relevant?

Late to the party, but I've posted the Rotary 4-Way Test on several workplace bathroom mirrors:

1662927177296.png
portal.clubrunner.ca

jmho ymmv lrr

What a sweet little girl she was too. :(

The prayer flag idea is nice. We have them here in our garden. If that comforts her family, maybe something people could do, in general? A small thing, but peaceful.
What is a prayer flag ?
I saw a pic that you referenced (Thanks) but all I could make out
was squares of different colors hung on a line.
Not sure if they were paper or fabric?
If that is what was meant by 'prayer flag', Was there prayerful/ condolence writing on the squares?

"Recall consequence
If the gear selector is moved from the park position without pressing the brake pedal it can allow the vehicle to roll away, increasing the risk of a crash."

JMO

ETA - Recall applied to cars in sub-freezing temperatures. Still interesting to me though.
I saw that back when I was checking her VIN. I almost posted about it till I checked her VIN and saw that it was repaired. Her car needs no fixes so that tells me (IMO) that all recalls for her car were taken care of. I took a snapshot of the page since the URL doesn't change after you've searched for a VIN (pet peeve of mine with websites but I digress). So below is a pic of it.

1662928119502.png

No—they guy said he did not realize for a week that he had seen KR’s car. Then he says he reported it to detectives. So, the tow company wouldn’t have even known for a week that anything was suspicious/wouldn’t have knows there was anything to report.

A week later, the driver actually tracked down AWP (saw their trailer driving and followed them to a Best Buy to deliver his news and do an interview).

MOO.
So if he realized a week later that he saw KR and he car, wouldn't it have been easy enough for him to check the calls on his phone to see what day it was? Even if the company dispatched him another way (radio, maybe) didn't he say he called his girlfriend because it seemed weird to him? I can see back almost a month on my phone.

What is a prayer flag ?
I saw a pic that you referenced (Thanks) but all I could make out
was squares of different colors hung on a line.
Not sure if they were paper or fabric?
If that is what was meant by 'prayer flag', Was there prayerful/ condolence writing on the squares?

IIRC, for some faiths, anything that can move, and has a prayer on it, is considered a repetition of that prayer & helps the one preparing/placing the item closer to gaining entry into the afterlife.

Prayer flags and prayer wheels are fairly common:

(Some faiths consider these artificial and pagan BTW.)

jmho ymmv lrr

"Recall consequence

JMO

The VIN number is available. If you run the VIN--a free check nothing weird/intrusive with private info visible-- it shows no open recalls. (I did this when we were discussing if her car had a sunroof, the interior color, etc.)

IIRC, for some faiths, anything that can move, and has a prayer on it, is considered a repetition of that prayer & helps the one preparing/placing the item closer to gaining entry into the afterlife.

Prayer flags and prayer wheels are fairly common:

(Some faiths consider these artificial and pagan BTW.)

jmho ymmv lrr
@Laughing.
Thank you so much for your thorough response and all this research.
I never knew, never heard of this concept in regard to movement and repetition.
It is like the candle or eternal flame. Thanks again

The social media psychosis surrounding this case is absolutely insane. It's one of those cases where I am really, really grateful for the strict rules on WS. I can come here for some mature discussion. Thank you.

I've stated this twice now upthread and couldn't agree more. I've never seen a case this bad. It worries me because these lunatics are able to drive cars, work in healthcare, serve food to people and even vote. The sad part is, these people are completely serious and their reality is mindblowing. They're living on a different planet and it's a planet I'm not interested in visiting

"Recall consequence

JMO

The recall say's "certain" model year 2012 2013 CR-V are affected. That could mean only ones built at a certain plant or during a certain time frame.

If we put her VIN # into the NHTSA recall check site it will tell us if the CR-V has an open recall.

The recall say's "certain" model year 2012 2013 CR-V are affected. That could mean only ones built at a certain plant or during a certain time frame.

If we put her VIN # into the NHTSA recall check site it will tell us if the CR-V has an open recall.

It doesn't. See my post #891 above. :) Direct link to it below:

Kiely's mum shares statement made for memorial.

"... To anyone who gains pleasure or satisfaction from commenting online - I ask you to take a moment to look inward and to try to recognise your motive. Remember the three gates that all words should flow through. Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful? I implore you to remember that there is honour in silence and there is kindness in minding your own business. You are talking about the death of my child. Our communities child. It's time to let our children mourn their friend quietly, peacefully. I hope you can find other more beautiful and helpful ways to spend your time and remember Kiely. Call your mom. Take a walk. Pick up a new hobby. Please know, we got this. Let her rest..."
Respectfully snipped. Some of the most powerful words I have ever heard from a grieving parent.

Amateur opinion and speculation

True!

And sometimes fiction is more entertaining than facts.

MOO.
But this isn't fiction, though. We can't just dispute what LE accepted from the RA company. Its been accepted as fact by Websleuths. Its been posted numerous times so if there's a doubt one can go find the postings and judge for themselves. If something doesn't fit a particular mold but it happened then are we just suppose to overlook what actually happened?

Once they found Kiely I think they should let LE do their job, as now they are out of their area of expertise. If they get leads based on their popularity and some people being more comfortable reaching out to them, then they should help these tipsters turn over information to LE to follow up on it. And if they have their own theories based on their experience and what they witnessed themselves, they should share that information with LE. JMO.
The thing is they are professionals so they wouldn't hold anything back that would be pertinant to an LE investigation so to assume otherwise is not doing justice to the deceased and missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC