Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is sand like you would find on a beach, but rather, sandy soil. A geologic map of California from the California Dept. of Conservation, shows the surface in the Prosser area to be covered with Quaternary (less than 2.6 million years old) sediment, identified by the letter Q (Qv means Quaternary volcanics BTW). The exposed area has been submerged for only 60 years, not enough time for fine sandy sediment from lake deposition to accumulate in large quantities.
you have to zoom in, just look NW of Lake Tahoe.
This looks like very forgiving, even fun, terrain to drive on with AWD, ATV, MTB or FTB. There are several videos showing the receding Prosser shoreline, some of them I know will not be allowed here.
All MOO
I think I read that the Reservoir and Dam were created from 1959 1962, so that makes a lot of sense. I understand that kind of soil. It is a contributing factor to great devastation in some earthquake and run off prone areas.

There are, in fact, significant variations in elevations out there underwater and along rhe shoreline. Part natural and part silt build up. I saw a crane out there dredging in a photo. And surprisingly I actually saw on satellite during very low water period there was a tiny atoll with a tree growing on it near the middle, a bit South of the point of recovery. And of course, with all that comes some very low colder water spots, drop offs.
when they made prosser reservoir, was there a town beneath it% Lake Monroe Reservoir here in BTown covered two small old towns. elders here still remember it. Truckee was like 15 minutes away, maybe there was an old town of prosser or something. Our Lake Monroe has weird currents,
and someone drowns in it almost every year. relatively shallow and then really deep dropoffs. My son was a lifeguard and on swimming team in high school but I was worried about the many lake parties. I used to tell him to watch out for kids getting in the water at night and make sure they stayed right near the beach. Also worried about his safety because good swimmers also get into trouble trying to save someone. sheesh

Looked back through threads to see if anyone described KR as a water baby and could not find a reference.

There is really no evidence of how drunk or high KR was, I mean its ok to speculate I guess but building a theory on that factor and her ability to do this or that might be stretching it, IMHO.

Trying to make sense of how if it were an accident, it would not be a driver error unless you might mean suicide. IMO if she were suicidal, we would have heard about it by now with the SM manic reporting including Jagger of course, and Sami.

We actually do not even know where she was parked. Several locals have reported it is quite common for folks to back their cars up right to the waterall along prosser shoreline. IMO she might have parked on the beach, she arrived late. That is why IMO no one saw her leave.

Thats why its a mystery, we just do not know why or how or even if there is a whom.. If it is foul play though, IMOO, we can bet our bippies they would already know. That is why I am going for tragic accident because no arrests have been made.
But the thing is we have to base some of our opinions on what people know of her already, the circumstances of the night, we know she was with other people that night, even when she went to releive herself she went with her friend she didn't go alone, so that says to me she wouldn't go by herself to the beach or somewhere solitary that night unless she was with someone so otherwise its useless to even speculate.

I don't agree.

People who DON'T love the water tend to avoid it. I live near a beach, and I have two grandkids whom I have to drag out when it's time to go home, and one who refuses to set foot in the ocean (or the pool) at all.

People drown every day, and typically those are people who chose to go in the water and were overcome for one reason or another.

Being trapped in a sinking car on a dark night is very far removed, IMO, than the pleasant swims that Kiely may have enjoyed all her life. I'm a good swimmer and have never been intoxicated in my entire life, but I would absolutely panic if a lake came gushing through my car windows without me even knowing which way is up. Add to that being 16, possibly inebriated or high, darkness and confusion and it becomes very difficult to swim out in time to survive.

Jmo
The thing is she had time to to realize the car was sinking as it hit the water at that point she was upright. Yes its dark but as its hitting the water she would either panic or she would make a decision to find her way out before she started going further down. She could feel a door a window an opening. Why is it best to assume she had no thought other than panic.

But the thing is we have to base some of our opinions on what people know of her already, the circumstances of the night, we know she was with other people that night, even when she went to releive herself she went with her friend she didn't go alone, so that says to me she wouldn't go by herself to the beach or somewhere solitary that night unless she was with someone so otherwise its useless to even speculate.
I agree, no way am I walking into the woods by myself to pee but then again I am not a mountain girl.
Sami and at least one other witness said they were flitting around together from one group to another having fun.

the part in purple, can you elaborate% it seems like you are saying she must have been with someone at the end of party, I thought we were led to believe she left alone.

I agree, no way am I walking into the woods by myself to pee but then again I am not a mountain girl.
Sami and at least one other witness said they were flitting around together from one group to another having fun.

the part in purple, can you elaborate% it seems like you are saying she must have been with someone at the end of party, I thought we were led to believe she left alone.
I'm talking about throughout the party, we don't know about the end.

I'm talking about throughout the party, we don't know about the end.
that just made me think of the many interviews with Sami. In all of them, she never implies there might have been someone with KR. Or says anything about asking KR if she was alone or had anyone else to ride with her, just to be safe.
and yet...Sami also said she thought KR was staying at the campground.
Using your theory about KR never being alone, its weird that Sami never offers any clue as to whom KR might be camping with per the interviews..

We have learned lately that it isnt a crime to lie to the media but it is a crime to lie to LE or under oath. This could be applied to about every principle in this case. Blabbing everything to SM. Who knows what they are telling LE though. Maybe we should figure out what they are NOT saying on SM and thats the answer.

IMO the mystery may just be about who supplied the alcohol to the minor who then drove into the lake and drowned.

Last edited:
A reservoir that is controlled by a dam is not going to be still water. Depending on how much is released a draw down can create significant currents in the body of water.

The period from August 7 to November 1 includes the precautionary drawdown period, during which the reservoir elevation is lowered to 5,703.7 feet to allow storage room for winter and
spring inflows.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1996/0082/report.pdf

Topo of reservoir

Prosser Creek Reservoir (CA) nautical chart and water depth map

Prosser Creek Dam details

Bureau of Reclamation

Current level

California Water Watch

The reservoir is a constructed water body. The “lake” banks are not natural, imo, that’s what makes them so dangerous.

As an artificial impoundment steep drops off and fluctuating levels create flows throughout the body of water.

All imo
Yes, @Jade, thank you for bringing these links together. Excellent!

I’ve seen the discharge rate at a few gauges but I don’t know how to estimate the water flow rate ie current around where the vehicle was located since the gauge, I understand is at Prosser Creek, maybe the mouth of the reservoir?
Do you by any chance know how to do that equation? :)
Or another member?
I see that cubic feet per second discharge rate is historically high now having ramped up considerably since August 6.
I assumed and hoped it was also happening for the trout in the Truckee river.
I also saw that the water temp today was 61 degrees. Where is that measured? On a buoy or gauge where water discharge is measured?
I don’t know how accurate the temp readings might be for the car location, being relatively shallow, topography, etc. Someone cited 80 degrees at vehicle recovery and that astounded me.
I’ll see if I can find recent data.
MAIT where are you?

I’ve seen the discharge rate at a few gauges but I don’t know how to estimate the water flow rate ie current around where the vehicle was located since the gauge, I understand is at Prosser Creek, maybe the mouth of the reservoir?
Or another member?
I see that cubic feet per second discharge rate is historically high now having ramped up considerably since August 6.
I also saw that the water temp today was 61 degrees. Where is that measured? On a buoy or gauge where water discharge is measured?
I don’t know how accurate the temp readings might be for the car location, being relatively shallow, topography, etc. Someone cited 80 degrees at vehicle recovery and that astounded me.
MAIT where are you?
that brings up a question. When they lower the water level every August,
does that make trout fishing better or worse% Or do they put a hold on
fishing during that time or anything like that% Just wondering how many
fishing enthusiasts would be around or if the lake was kinda deserted around that time every year until they filled it back up.

Tire tracks were discovered by LE I believe they marked the area at the beginning when her car was found originally. As far as the texture of the sand I don't know, sorry. Maybe someone who has been to the location can answer these questions hopefully for you.
Do you know if the tire tracks were confirmed to be of Kiely’s suv?
Or just general tire tracks in of any vehicles?
I couldn’t find anything on this and it seems crucial to a case where a vehicle entered the water.

Do you know if the tire tracks were confirmed to be of Kiely’s suv?
Or just general tire tracks in of any vehicles?
I couldn’t find anything on this and it seems crucial to a case where a vehicle entered the water.
I'll try and find the article that showed the yellow police tape and mentioned the tire tracks. If I find it I will post it here. I'm not finding it I know it was shown at one time but it was in the beginning when they first located her car. Perhaps it was speculation as to why the police tape was there, now I'm real curious about that. I will try and find it nonetheless if I can.

Last edited:
when they made prosser reservoir, was there a town beneath it% Lake Monroe Reservoir here in BTown covered two small old towns. elders here still remember it. Truckee was like 15 minutes away, maybe there was an old town of prosser or something. Our Lake Monroe has weird currents,
and someone drowns in it almost every year. relatively shallow and then really deep dropoffs. My son was a lifeguard and on swimming team in high school but I was worried about the many lake parties. I used to tell him to watch out for kids getting in the water at night and make sure they stayed right near the beach. Also worried about his safety because good swimmers also get into trouble trying to save someone. sheesh

I’ve been there and other similar lakes in the Sierra. Its not “sand” per se, but more simply the soil found in the entire surrounding area since this is simply a dammed and flooded area that was once just hillside and valley. It drains and dries well into hardened dirt, but under the water it’s usually quite mushy as the silt builds up year after year. If you walk in the lake, it will go from somewhat firm to downright gross mush that you’ll sink a foot or two into it. A car on its roof would likely easily sink in a bit and remain stuck in place, not moving with the barely perceptible current towards the dam.

Or another member?
MAIT where are you?
The water temp would most likely be measured off of a buoy. According to Nick Rinn his dive computer said the water temp when they found Kiely was 70-75 degrees at the CR-V.

The thing is she had time to to realize the car was sinking as it hit the water at that point she was upright. Yes its dark but as its hitting the water she would either panic or she would make a decision to find her way out before she started going further down. She could feel a door a window an opening. Why is it best to assume she had no thought other than panic.

And if you think like a drunk person, a typical one at least, most things are funny? Assuming a good natured drunk.

We obviously have no idea what she could have been thinking or feeling, and we have to go off of her friends accounts of the evening to gauge how inebriated she was. If she did enter the water driving drunk, I think it makes more sense she was already down on the likely with a small group of people.

I was also thinking about something I thought might be anecdotal about drunk drivers often not being injured in car accidents, and why that was? I found several articles about this. While reaction time is slowed, which could factor in to escaping a flooding vehicle, note:

By not bracing for impact, the intoxicated person's body is able to take the path of least resistance during a collision—it's not uncommon to find a drunk person curled up, relatively unharmed, in the car's front foot well—and is also more able to absorb the energy caused by the impact.

Also goes on to suggest being RELAXED is beneficial....i.e. drunk drivers are not tense, panicked, etc.

This one has more factual sources. I'm not saying either prove a point, but they're interesting. Do Drunk People Really Survive Car Crashes More?

Interesting!

but -- would the driver try to get out

or put the car in reverse and back out?

I don't know.

I expect that Kiely has driven on snow & rocked a car -- possibly this one -- to get out of snow.

Likely we'll never know.

Sure hope none of us ever find out personally! We just don't know what we'd do in this situation. After reading here, yeah, we would be much more likely to ditch the car quickly. I think?

jmho ymmv lrr

Here is another big sticking point for me:

SS left the party, and Kiely around 12:25-ish, with her new ride. This is from her previously linked interviews. I can find and link them again, if people need to see them.

Kiely's phone went dead at 12:33. I don't know how to reconcile her calling SS at 12:36, but split the difference, maybe? Maybe their phones were slightly out of sync or we say at 12:36.

So Kiely hugs SS and has the whole "I love you, be safe/get home safe" interaction with SS--who also claims she believed Kiely was spending the night AT the campground. (confusing!) AT 12:25

Kiely then immediately gets into her car and has to drive straight into the lake, basically.

Which doesn't even add up because of the call to SS.

This is without even bringing Roadside Nick into the equation.

Think about it. REALLY think about it.

Now add in being inebriated, and maybe you're a little slow, you're giggly probably.

NO ONE sees you leave?!? You're a cute extraverted young girl who has been hopping around the party all night talking to all kinds of people.

Come on guys.... I'm not trying to push one theory over the other, I'm really not.

Just take a couple of minutes and BE the drunk teen at the party. Stumble your way through it.

How does it make sense?

In order to fit the timeline of events, as stated:

Totally smashed Kiely hops into her vehicle.

She speeds away, totally unnoticed.

She managed to call SS while bombing down the rutted ATV road, totally inebriated, yet she can manage a snapchat call to SS, and not go off the road.

She makes the exact turns, never realizing "gee, this isnt the road?" yet she remains on the rutted path we have all seen.

BAM, right into the water, dead phone, somehow still minutes before she allegedly called SS? But perhaps the call to SS was 5-6 minutes before SS thinks it was?

That means Kiely just flew down the road, and somehow left no trace of speeding, no damage to shrubs, or trees and stayed on the path?!

If she did that, then she probably was not that inebriated....and would have realized she hit the water...i.e. she would have likely hit the water while ON the call....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares