Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually people stick their heads only into the air pocket, so when they are found and fished out with the car, they are slouched through the backrest of the backseat, with their legs on the backseat and head with upper torso in the cargo.

Can you link to where you found this research/information please?

From FOX NEWS dated today, Sep 14. First time published statement re LE viewing road assistance surveillance footage:

I agree with Watters. It was not appropriate for AWP to publicly announce they had found Kiely before LE arrived on scene. They are such a great resource but LE might be hesitant to ask them for help in future cases if they don't conduct themselves in a professional manner.

If LE does find evidence of foul play and opens a criminal investigation, how would they know what they revealed wouldn't hinder the investigation? If they really believe someone hurt Kiely wouldn't they want to keep that to themselves in order to protect the investigation and ensure justice?

If someone did abduct, kill, and sink Kiely's car in the lake, that person is probably long gone by now.

To open the back window she would not stuff her whole body into the limited space of the cargo area. And there was a half open passenger window in the back, so why would Kiely not try to escape through it?
I doubt she would have been able to open the back door, but she may have gone there in desperation just to get a few more seconds of air.

It was dark so she would have had to feel her way around. It must have been extremely disorienting, not to mention terrifying. There's no way to know what decisions she made or what she tried to do to escape or if she had time or tried to slip through the open window. We also don't know what substances were in her system and how that played a role. It's hard enough to come up with a escape plan in mere seconds, upside down in a vehicle under water, even when you're sober.

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but was the deceased found on the floor or ceiling of hatch/cargo area?

Idk I’m not seeing enough room underseats and cargo area which does not have seats so I assume the underseats are the passenger seats behind the the drivers seat. Looking at pics of 2013 crv passenger seats I don’t see how she was under them.

I know I couldnt have fit under them in my Ford Explorer. I’m 5’5” 115 lbs.

Jmo

@5W's CYA= Cover Your (three letter word for buttocks")

Regarding Truckee culture...

Over the passed 20 years or so social elites, and all of the problems/bad habits that go along with the social elites have been moving into the Truckee/Tahoe area. Elites along with drugs and alcohol also brings a culture of silence and denial.

I have family that lives in Truckee, and I go there several times a year, and the transformation over the passed 10 years or so has been dramatic. Its a mixture of people that love the outdoors hunting/fishing/boating, and wine snobs. The parking lot at the local safeway looks like a Tesla dealership. (Meaning there is a LOT of money in the area.) It makes for an interesting social dynamic.

@5W's CYA= Cover Your (three letter word for buttocks")

Regarding Truckee culture...

Over the passed 20 years or so social elites, and all of the problems/bad habits that go along with the social elites have been moving into the Truckee/Tahoe area. Elites along with drugs and alcohol also brings a culture of silence and denial.

I have family that lives in Truckee, and I go there several times a year, and the transformation over the passed 10 years or so has been dramatic. Its a mixture of people that love the outdoors hunting/fishing/boating, and wine snobs. The parking lot at the local safeway looks like a Tesla dealership. (Meaning there is a LOT of money in the area.) It makes for an interesting social dynamic.
I agree and many mountain towns are the same. Durango CO and a few others come to mind. There’s an interesting mix of wealth, poverty and a great amount of tension. You have people who come from other areas and states and bring their money w them, opening businesses etc, which does help move the town forward and create more tourism (that’s really what they count on). With that, there’s a great amount of pushback from those who just want a sleepy town. Unfortunately, that is just not an option anymore. You also have a lack of jobs most of the time, high drug use, addictions and high crime rates. I’m sure Truckee was hit hard in 2020 and continues to fluctuate with fires slowing tourism like many other mountain towns

I don't know what to think about the roadside assistance. It seems to me that it should be easy for LE to verify. Somebody had to call roadside assistance from a phone. That person would have had to give a name, call-back number, and possibly an account number. That info is unknown to us, but should be fairly easy for LE to obtain.

Even if this were KR, she seemed to be "out of it" according to the witness. Not noticing the car was in neutral is understandable, but requiring instruction on how to use a seatbelt is not. A person driving in this condition would likely retrace her path going back and drive back through the Prosser area, and could easily make a wrong turn. If something nefarious happened to her at the potential after event, it seems very unlikely to me that anyone would return her body to a spot near the original location.

Thanks @Curiosa20 and @SMK777 - you both posted the same articles each with your own headline... funny.

Here are the two pertinent paragraphs, IMO, to save others the time of wading through old stuff.

"Investigators later obtained surveillance footage of the bizarre interaction and confirmed that the teen was either Rodni or someone who looked like her."

"The Nevada Sheriff’s Office said they would not provide any updates on the case until November. Bishop said the lengthy delay suggests something other than an accident."

Not very compelling, but interesting. I am still waiting to hear from LE directly on Nick the RA guy's story. In the meantime I am all ears to Doug of AWP.

IMO

ETA: more specifics

BBM..I know that you realize that after you posted this, the journalist edited, and corrected the bolded line of the article above to read as follows, but just to clarify for those who don't read every post carefully...

Investigators later obtained surveillance footage of the bizarre interaction and should have been able to confirm whether the teen was Rodni or someone who looked like her, Bishop said.

Truth is, they both say almost the same thing, and that is that LE has confirmed nothing, including even the existence or receipt of surveillance footage
. In the initial print, the line stated that LE had received footage and confirmed that the teen either was, or was not Kiely. Ya think? But even that is hearsay, as that tidbit did not come from a LE source. The corrected print line, attibuted to Doug Bishop of AWP, states that LE obtained footage and SHOULD have been able to determine if the teen was Kiely or someone who looked like her. If true, and LE could not tell, surely a family member could tell. The fact that they have made no statement at all about this supposed footage indicates, to me, anyway, that if it does exist, and they have reviewed it, there is nothing about it worthy of a statement. A big nothing burger.

In a case where so many people are offering up so many different versions of almost every event of this tragedy, it doesn't help when supposed professional journalists can't even accurately report what they are told. We all are free to decide for ourselves what and who to give credence to. For me, I am not sure I am going to believe much of anything that I hear or read until an autopsy and toxicology report comes back, or the CHP MAIT unit releases their report, or there is an arrest or arrests in this case (not holding my breath).

And yes, I am still sticking with nothing more than a tragic accident. JMO

Last edited:
I’m just thinking: Isn’t it sort of strange that we haven’t seen Nick from roadside assistance pop up anywhere after his AWP interview? I’m surprised someone hasn’t tracked him down on SM - someone must know who he is but there’s been silence (AFAIK) — And I’m not saying that I don’t believe his story, I do; I’m just not sure it was Kiely. So maybe he’s staying quiet by choice — or LE has asked him to stay quiet.

I don’t know - there’s just something about this case that has me hooked - it was probably just an awful accident but something doesn’t add up.

MOO

I’m currently trying to figure this case out. I’ve been back and forth to Prosser this week in the worst smoke conditions. I’m still trying to pinpoint what the exact location is of this party because every day someone says something different and I’ve driven these roads many times.

Idk I’m not seeing enough room underseats and cargo area which does not have seats so I assume the underseats are the passenger seats behind the the drivers seat. Looking at pics of 2013 crv passenger seats I don’t see how she was under them.

I know I couldnt have fit under them in my Ford Explorer. I’m 5’5” 115 lbs.

Jmo
Yes, @Elley Mae, in a previous thread, perhaps early in T8 or late T7, we discussed this at nauseum with rotated images, in fact, of CR-Vs to see what that space might look like in an upside car. The most important factor some of us honed in on is whether the middle rear seat head rest was up or down. If it was up, the space between the head rests of the back seat and the roof of the car was very narrow - IIRC, something like 8". But if the middle head rest was down, it would make it easier for a body, live or dead, to navigate into the rear hatch area, IMO. It may be worth you going back to review that.

And I don't think any of us were able to find an image of KR's CR-V that would indicate if she usually had the middle rear seat head rest up. An OP did mention that those head rests are a bear to put back down. So once up, they may stay up.

Now if anyone can find such an image, that would be worthy of a gold star sleuther award!

<snipped for focus>

This quote is from another sonar/water rescue organization that does the same kind of work as AWP -

"Ninety percent of vehicles found with people in it, they’re normally found in the back," she said. "If it’s an SUV, they’re in the hatch."

The engine is the heaviest part of the car, and it nosedives first.

"As the vehicle is sinking, they’re climbing to the back to try to stay up out of the water. They’re chasing the air," Watters said.

I’m currently trying to figure this case out. I’ve been back and forth to Prosser this week in the worst smoke conditions. I’m still trying to pinpoint what the exact location is of this party because every day someone says something different and I’ve driven these roads many times.
Welcome, CiCiTV. We have had a few other 'local's' here, so if they are still following along, perhaps they can help. In past threads (we're on #9 and so there are 8 prior threads) there are lots of maps, images, etc. analyzing locations of things. So those may help you. Also, there is a separate thread that each of the 9 threads links to (on page 1) with timelines, media postings, maps, etc. That may also be a resource for you to get orientated to locations of events, etc. Nice to have you!

This quote is from another sonar/water rescue organization that does the same kind of work as AWP -

"Ninety percent of vehicles found with people in it, they’re normally found in the back," she said. "If it’s an SUV, they’re in the hatch."

The engine is the heaviest part of the car, and it nosedives first.

"As the vehicle is sinking, they’re climbing to the back to try to stay up out of the water. They’re chasing the air," Watters said.

Did she address what would happen in a vehicle that flipped over, or was she talking about vehicles found right side up? I read the article, but couldn’t find if she addressed a flipped vehicle, but may have missed it.

Did she address what would happen in a vehicle that flipped over, or was she talking about vehicles found right side up? I read the article, but couldn’t find if she addressed a flipped vehicle, but may have missed it.
Doug Bishop did say in an interview that people wind up in the back when the vehicle is right side up; Kiely’s was upside down. I don’t have any expertise to grasp why this would make a difference.

Do you know the area that her car went into the water? Or I guess we’re not 100% certain her car went *into* the water exactly there - but the area where her car was towed? The party wasn’t far from that location.

"We expect the investigation, review, and redaction processes to be completed by November 1, 2022."
Interesting info from the article.

The expert has suggested that delays in the results could be due to marine-specific challenges from her body's 14-day submergence, in addition to other findings.

While Butcher stresses the difficulty of such an examination, she said toxicology is still a possibility.

It all comes down to the eyeballs of the victim, the forensic expert claimed.

Called "vitreous fluid," Butcher said its "one of the best ways to get toxicology.

"By extracting that fluid with a needle," a proper test can be done.

Interesting info from the article.

The expert has suggested that delays in the results could be due to marine-specific challenges from her body's 14-day submergence, in addition to other findings.

While Butcher stresses the difficulty of such an examination, she said toxicology is still a possibility.

It all comes down to the eyeballs of the victim, the forensic expert claimed.

Called "vitreous fluid," Butcher said its "one of the best ways to get toxicology.

"By extracting that fluid with a needle," a proper test can be done.
Yes, interesting. So they should still be able to get accurate results…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14