Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, part of human nature is drawn to conspiracy, but in this case, I also think the role of some of the public pronouncements should be questioned. “Partiers refuse to cooperate, partiers refuse to share or come forward, Somebody knows something, parents are encouraging non-cooperation”, those were all expressions of frustration that imply an element of blame, pointing fingers in certain directions.

Actually, no one knew anything! because she drove into the water a few hundred feet from the party, and was
I think LE did the right thing. They invited AWP to help search, stating they had more technology and/or skills. I hope other agencies will follow.
there in the relative shallows. no Afterparty, no Reno, no trafficking, no dark crimes and coverups. Massive amounts of law-enforcement resources somehow missed that SUV, sitting near the shore near the party,. The ensuing weeks of confusion and frustration fomented conspiracy.
I think LE was in a bad spot with this case and did the best they could.

Several local agencies were having to coordinate, it was an extremely high profile case and they had a rabid public eye staring them down, they had inexperienced civilians close to the case basically holding their own press conferences, witnesses were drinking and may have made errors/conflicts in their statements (and IMO kind of fomenting the hype that partygoers wouldn’t talk to LE, in a way - MOO). And, yes, there were egos involved. At times it felt more like a a race than a search. This was a whole *clusterfork.*

Water searches are *really* hard. The water levels may have changed. There were three bodies of water to consider in the vicinity of the party. And if LE had searched the water for days and neglected to follow up on abduction theories, had she actually turned out to have been abducted, folks would have been coming for their heads then too, so they had to broaden their search.

The goal was to bring Kiely home alive. If you weren’t sure whether she went into the water the night of the party, it would be more urgent to allocate resources at that point to ensure that you also followed up on leads that could do that. I believe LE did what they could to run down those leads in proper order, and they welcomed assistance from individual volunteers and volunteer search organizations when appropriate. Finding her sooner would have brought sooner closure, but it still would not have brought Kiely back.

<modsnip> —if they wanted to discourage them, they could have simply prevented it, saying it was an active investigation. LE did not do that. LE has to preserve chain of custody for evidence, and ensure evidence is preserved in the event of a criminal case. Not trivial when you have a body, and a vehicle, missing in a body of water—they can’t just have folks willy-nilly dragging the lake. IMHO, it is extraordinary that they allowed a non-LE search group in this soon (AWP normally only does cases that have long gone cold). It speaks to the evolving nature of these searches, and the democratization, in a way, of search processes; they can’t keep amateurs out, so they’re going to have to adapt and learn to utilize the best ones as resources. Thank goodness AWP are the best at what they do.

I have a feeling that state and federal agencies are going to be stepping up their games with training on side sonar/search technologies, and possibly evolve contractors/consultant bases for swifter search response going forward. If one group of folks can train themselves to perform these searches successfully, others can too, especially with help from folks who are specialized already.

The upshot: A child died at a popular local recreation spot after attending an annual graduation celebration, after she was drinking with friends and was left there to drive herself home… and it took two weeks longer to find her than folks would have preferred. I feel sorry for everyone close to this thing—every last one of the people close to this thing are all hurting.

This is an outcome no one wanted, least of all Kiely’s family and loved ones, but I feel LE tried hard to find her under very trying circumstances. They are surely broken up about what happened and questioning their actions etc., including not knowing about or not policing the party. Bad things sometimes happen to good people. I believe everyone in that community is going to be reeling from the fallout over this tragedy for a long time to come.

ETA: sorry, screed over, just feel everyone did the best they could.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little off-topic but hopefully allowed: AWP mentioned their next case is Jolisa Fuentes - does anyone have the the correct spelling of her name? It’s always interesting which cases get national press and interest vs which don’t.
Jolissa Fuentes. She's older and the circumstances aren't such that a case like that is going to get national attention.

Hi, hopefully someone much smarter than me can explain how the car flips over in 14 feet of water and in the video I saw you can clearly see the car from the air in the water. How on earth did they not see that when using helicopters over the last 2 weeks? In addition wouldn't there be some oil/gas slicks right in the area from the submerged car? It may have already been explained but would love an explanation that makes sense....thanks.

Hi, hopefully someone much smarter than me can explain how the car flips over in 14 feet of water and in the video I saw you can clearly see the car from the air in the water. How on earth did they not see that when using helicopters over the last 2 weeks? In addition wouldn't there be some oil/gas slicks right in the area from the submerged car? It may have already been explained but would love an explanation that makes sense....thanks.
To your latter point, the car only became visible during the recovery process, as they were towing it in. You couldn't see it prior to that.

I don't think it's that no one saw her drive away, rather, I think no one gave it any thought. With that many people in attendance, I'm sure cars were coming and going all night.

Based on the location of the party and where her car was recovered, this all makes perfect sense to me. Just a tragic accident.
And we kept hearing 'that no one is talking to us'. It may have not been a case of covering up, but rather with that many people, drinking and in the dark, no one paid any attention. 'No one' talked to LE, because no one knew anything to tell them.

People always have such lofty ideas of what would be possible for a human to survive in accidents like this. Like why not just roll down the windows, swim out etc. But I have to imagine this all happened very fast, likely had some windows open or cracked to "sober up" if she was tired or inebriated, and was cruising along fast to get home in time.

Yesterday I slipped in water just passed my knees in the waves. While under for just moments, it is extremely disorienting not being able to tell up from down, or get your footing. And I've lived on the ocean my entire life. I can only imagine if you're underwater, getting jostled around and inside a car needing to escape all while panicking that you are about to die.

Feel sad for her and her family. Such a crap way to exit this earth. Teenagers make mistakes. I also think she didn't have super great friends who didn't insist on taking her home when they knew she couldn't drive, but that might be my anger talking.
I knew 4 young fit teenagers from my hometown, 17 /18 whose car left the road on a bend and entered a slurry tank submerging very quickly . Noone escaped alive sadly . This incident always comes to mind when I hear cases like this . Escape would not be as straightforward as we envisage with so many factors coming into play , time , injury , pressure from outside car , panic to name a few .

I don't fault LE for not finding Kiely. They are not experts at this type of search and rescue. AWP are the experts and this is what they do.
Or maybe AWP have better equipment. According to their presser, it was a new AWP member who first spotted an object in the water on sonar. That object was then identified as a car by a more experienced team member in another boat. They had two boats on the lake, both equipped with sonars.

Is there any link to their statement that the windows were rolled up? I did see them say the car was upside down in 14 feet of water. It came out right side up so must have been turned around in the recovery process.

It's still strange that it looks like front window is broken while rear windows are rolled down. But at this point I'm just waiting to hear what their post recovery investigation reveals.

I have done night diving once as a scuba diver and that gives a sense of how difficult it is to even know which way is the surface under water in the dark. If water rushed in to open windows in the dark with no moon, it's pretty easy to see how she couldn't get out. I found many comments on this thread helpful in visualizing it.

It looks like possibly a wrong turn down the beach instead of back up the dirt road to home. It's still puzzling to me that someone who knew the area would keep driving down the beach.

Was her phone recovered? some of the new iphones are supposed to have high degree of water proofing. I wonder if there will be any way for them to pinpoint the exact time she went in.

Because it looks like she would have driven the dirt road a bit before making a wrong turn, I suppose the only way someone would see is if there were people down by the beach where she went in
I believe I read it when everything was breaking. Where I read it I cannot recall, so take my comment as heresay. If I happen to find it though, I will post it.

I saw an earlier post here with a map that showed that Kiely may have mistaken the 1st right turn as the 2nd right turn trying to leave the party location, which to me, is good reasoning of how she ended up where she did. If she was highly intoxicated she most likely didn't even realize she was on the beach.

The video from AWP this morning is very informative and also complimentary of the local LE and FBI. They also acknowledge that their (AWP’s) methods, equipment, and experience are highly specialized and not readily available to local LE, which I think is important to recognize.
In my opinion, I don’t believe LE deserves the criticism from the public in this particular aspect of the investigation- I don’t think they did anything wrong with the resources they have available to them.

I don't doubt it. I just said that they weren't the ones who called them in. IMO
verification from founder of AWP that they were invited by some branch of law enforcement.

Adventures With Purpose, a volunteer group that helps find missing people underwater, said on Sunday afternoon that it had confirmed the body found in Prosser Lake belonged to the vanished 16-year-old. The group had been invited to join the search by law enforcement, they said.

See @SteveP quoted post above, SBM^
LE did invite AWP to join the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads