Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet that AWP got good video of the car’s condition before removal or manipulation.

That's an interesting question. How is a submerged upside down car turned right side up under water? Is a winch attached to the front or rear bumper area and it's pulled up, does it depend on water depth, or is it rolled side to side - possible damaging a side mirror?
See Curiosa's reply above, raising a good point!

For all who are considering this escape tool, look up 'Life Hammer".
It's what I have, and it glows in the dark.
I also know someone who used this to escape a burning car in a road accident, when his car door would not open.

I know somebody who whacked a would-be rapist in the head with one. It has a lot of potential uses.

When I listened to the police press video this morning, I thought he said 4-5 feet. Did anyone else hear that?
I heard from SO at today's presser something like water was 4-5 feet higher 2 weeks ago and that would mean about 25 feet more of shoreline would be covered back then compared to now.

I'm not in a position to transcribe. Sorry.

Last April, Jared and Josh were driving over a snowy OR mountain pass and hit a mountain rock in the center of the road (Jared thought it was a clump of snow). They were so lucky the incident was not fatal. But that's a different story/video. On this date, they were actually on a trip to make this 14-minute video on how to escape from a water crash and show how quickly you must act. It's a very sad reality that you truly have little chance here if you are intoxicated. #RIP Kiely.

4/2/22 -- How to Get Out of a Sinking Car!.. HOW TO ESCAPE and SURVIVE

I watched this and the other video posted about what to do in these types of emergencies. I thought I DID know what to do but boy was I wrong. Thank you for those who posted it. I follow and watch lots of AWP but never bothered with those 2 specifically.

As noted by others, I think (based on her upbringing and family's lifestyle) Kiely most likely knew basic+ survival, wilderness skills. However when intoxicated and panicking that doesn't mean any of it even came to mind.

That's what I'm hearing - that the last phone ping was at the location where the car went into the water.

I think the party was near the water, to the East of where the car went into the water. Party on the left, car on the right. Two separate roads lead to the circled part of the shoreline: the party. Question is - where was Kiely parked? With 2-300 people, perhaps 100 cars, did anyone park in the area where her car went into the water, or was her car the only car at that location at 12:33 AM ?

I'm curious whether this was a mirage lake reflection in front of her that looked like a road, did she hit the gas rather than the brakes by accident, were there other cars at the location at the time that her car went into the water?

View attachment 361170
It's highly possible she took that first right turn mistakenly thinking she was already at the second right turn. That mistake could even be made by a relatively sober person.

I watched an aircraft crash documentary not long ago with this exact scenario. The crew was taxiing at night, during a storm. The first right (for them) was a runway closed for repairs. The second right (for them) was the proper runway. Unfortunately, due to some confusion among the crew they took the first right, thinking they were already at the second one. They ultimately collided with construction equipment on the first right turn.

Afterwards, the crew was adamant they were on the correct runway and baffled to learn they were actually on the wrong one. And this was a highly experienced sober aircraft crew, nevermind a 16 y/o new driver who allegedly had been drinking alcohol. IMO

I cant find anywhere to buy their tool, the link just goes to 404 not found. I looked thru all of their website as well and either Im blind (possibility) or they no longer sell them.
I purchased a couple of them today (2-in-1 Emergency Car Escape Survival Keychain). Can't link here but if you go to their website and click the "Merch" tab it's there in 8 different colors! Cheers!

I watched this and the other video posted about what to do in these types of emergencies. I thought I DID know what to do but boy was I wrong. Thank you for those who posted it. I follow and watch lots of AWP but never bothered with those 2 specifically.

As noted by others, I think (based on her upbringing and family's lifestyle) Kiely most likely knew basic+ survival, wilderness skills. However when intoxicated and panicking that doesn't mean any of it even came to mind.
Yea they used snowmobiles to reach the lodge in winter. Lots of kids around here learn snowmobiles before driving.

With only the left back window rolled down, and her found in the back, maybe she did roll down that back window as it turtled and sank but just wasn't able to get out fast enough.

My understanding was that the water depth was 4 to 5 feet more 2 weeks ago than it was yesterday (14 ft). That is...around 18 to 19 ft deep.
Thank you!
The car was found 14 feet deep, 2 weeks ago that was 19 feet deep. Two weeks ago, the car would have been farther from shore than 55 feet.

Sounds like the car traveled quite a distance into the water before submerging - reminds me of Susan Smith describing her submerged car with her sons in the back seat.

I think the murky muddy water and rotating car would have made it difficult to get oriented to an open window. Maybe the front window wouldn't open so she opened the back window, she released her seatbelt, thinking she'd have a really good story after this, but couldn't get out in time.

That's an interesting question. How is a submerged upside down car turned right side up under water? Is a winch attached to the front or rear bumper area and it's pulled up, does it depend on water depth, or is it rolled side to side - possible damaging a side mirror?

My dad was a mechanic and sometimes operated a tow truck. I accompanied him a few times. We never had to pull a vehicle out of more than a foot or two of water, but we did have to turn more than one upright in order to pull it up out of a ditch or something like that.

Everything I'm talking about is from things I remember--not referring to Kiely's car AT ALL.

The most common thing is to attach the chain somewhere on whatever part of the car is facing up--the door frame is good for that--and use the winch to pull the vehicle onto its wheels. You want to look at which way the terrain slopes and which way the car wants to tip. If it went off an embankment of some sort, as is frequently the case, gravity is likely pulling the vehicle the opposite direction of where you want to tilt it. It gets dicey.

Sideways--the long way of the vehicle--is usually easier than lengthwise, over the bumpers, but sometimes you don't have a choice. It's very hard to do without causing at least some additional damage. Often you have to break a window so you can pass a chain/rope/tow strap through the passenger compartment to make a harness that you can attach the winch cable to.

It doesn't usually happen in one pass. You attach the cable and winch the vehicle (still on its side) out from behind a rock, and then maybe you move the tow truck to a better angle and reattach the cable to tilt the vehicle onto its wheels, and then you reattach the cable to try to twist the vehicle until it's facing uphill, and then you can try to pull it up.

This is all talking about a vehicle that's on solid ground. I don't know how being under water would affect that but the principles are probably similar. From watching the recovery, it looked like they didn't have to do a whole lot of maneuvering.

I heard from SO at today's presser something like water was 4-5 feet higher 2 weeks ago and that would mean about 25 feet more of shoreline would be covered back then compared to now.

I'm not in a position to transcribe. Sorry.
Thank you! That makes sense.

Water level was 5 feet higher 2 weeks ago, shore line was 25 feet away, so the car submerged 80 feet from shore?

It's highly possible she took that first right turn mistakenly thinking she was already at the second right turn. That mistake could even be made by a relatively sober person.
I can just imagine the young 16 year old girl, her close friend gone from the party, getting ready to go back home, and calling her friend.. praying she needs a lift so she does'nt go back alone, driving in the woods, in the dark, intoxicated.. She must have been nervous.. enough to take the wrong turn. That is so sad !

Replying to a post about calling 911 when you’re in water, someone posted a video here in which they played numerous actual 911 calls from people doing just that. (They said DON’T do that.) I also remember a case here where a girl called her parents as her car was sinking, she had three friends with her and they all drowned.

They also said don’t do the “let your car fill up with water before you try to get out” thing.

Last edited:
I watched AWP's video on how to escape a sinking car. In fact, they have 2 different video's on their Youtube channel. They stressed that newer vehicles from 2018 and onwards all have laminated side windows. This is why they're recommending their tool since it can break laminated windows.

The Life Hammer is a nice and effective tool, but the multiple hammer descriptions on their website all specifically say that they break only NON-laminated windows.

I bought 2 of AWP's 2-in-1 tools yesterday.

And I really don't want to be negative, but the fact she was not found right away, only 20 ft below surface, and in the most obvious, logical place that even YouTubers were pointing out, is unbelievably disappointing. This wasn't 200 ft down, it was 20ft. Maybe I don't understand, but from my perspective the police dropped the ball here, they even told AWP that they were sure she wasn't where they found her as they thoroughly searched it already. The police used sonar too, and again only 20ft. They dropped the ball here, sorry to say it.
Gray Hughes would agree, normally can’t watch his schitck but he’s on fire tonight

My dad was a mechanic and sometimes operated a tow truck. I accompanied him a few times. We never had to pull a vehicle out of more than a foot or two of water, but we did have to turn more than one upright in order to pull it up out of a ditch or something like that.

Everything I'm talking about is from things I remember--not referring to Kiely's car AT ALL.

The most common thing is to attach the chain somewhere on whatever part of the car is facing up--the door frame is good for that--and use the winch to pull the vehicle onto its wheels. You want to look at which way the terrain slopes and which way the car wants to tip. If it went off an embankment of some sort, as is frequently the case, gravity is likely pulling the vehicle the opposite direction of where you want to tilt it. It gets dicey.

Sideways--the long way of the vehicle--is usually easier than lengthwise, over the bumpers, but sometimes you don't have a choice. It's very hard to do without causing at least some additional damage. Often you have to break a window so you can pass a chain/rope/tow strap through the passenger compartment to make a harness that you can attach the winch cable to.

It doesn't usually happen in one pass. You attach the cable and winch the vehicle (still on its side) out from behind a rock, and then maybe you move the tow truck to a better angle and reattach the cable to tilt the vehicle onto its wheels, and then you reattach the cable to try to twist the vehicle until it's facing uphill, and then you can try to pull it up.

This is all talking about a vehicle that's on solid ground. I don't know how being under water would affect that but the principles are probably similar. From watching the recovery, it looked like they didn't have to do a whole lot of maneuvering.
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm guessing it might be easier to turn the car under water than above water.

Having trouble finding a mainstream media link but is definitely easier to lift anything under water.

Being a Tahoe resident, she likely did have some tools in her car. I used to carry a snow scraper remover for my windshield, I had an axe, flashlight and a snow shovel. Not saying she would be able to use any of these to get out, but I’m curious to know what they recover from inside the vehicle. Her phone especially.

I watched AWP's video on how to escape a sinking car. In fact, they have 2 different video's on their Youtube channel. They stressed that newer vehicles from 2018 and onwards all have laminated side windows. This is why they're recommending their tool since it can break laminated windows.

The Life Hammer is a nice and effective tool, but the multiple hammer descriptions on their website all specifically say that they break only NON-laminated windows.

I bought 2 of AWP's 2-in-1 tools yesterday.
Thanks, I wasn't aware....I've had it a few years.
I decided to order the 2 in 1 Resqme as well, I like that it can attach to your keychain or mirror. Ordered it from Amazon...two (one for daughter) and the keychain Pepper Spray advised in the special.

Yes, according to the AWP presser today, it was. It is mentioned at about the 1:15 mark, car was found "in roughly 14 feet of water, and only 55 feet offshore".

I could not bring myself to do more than glimpse at the car so far. I did see the mirror damage and a dent without apparent paint scratches.
I’ve wondered if maybe she swerved at the last minute and the car toppled over to dent it and break the mirror but that doesn’t make sense given the apparent damage.
Not much does make sense so far, still, from my perspective.
I don’t hold much hope for AWP immediately clearing up as many details as they usually do given the unusual situation of being involved in an active investigation.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member