Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dynamics, buoyancy , weight- sounds like an @otto challenge- a site says the vehicle weighed approximately 3,800 pounds. @otto this sounds like your ball court.

…Your best chance of survival in a drowning car is to get out before it is completely submerged in water. This means, you have maybe a minute at the most to safely evacuate the vehicle. Here is how:

Take seat belt off and put windows down within seconds of hitting the water
.. Most cars electric systems will work for a few minutes after being completely submerged in water, however waiting to roll down the windows is dangerous.
Depending on the weight of a vehicle, a vehicle will float between 30 and 130 seconds before sinking.

Has AWP said if the car was in neutral or another gear when found? Did she have her seatbelt on? Did it look like she was trying to get out? Did they notice anything out of the ordinary in tems of a submerging vehicle? Was there a large rock where the car landed? How far from shore was the car when found?
During today's presser, they did not say whether or not the car was in neutral, although the question was asked by MSM.

From the ripples in the water

That's good to note. But as for her not escaping if the car was sinking she would have time to see the openings in the windows.

How would she see them with no moon, after midnight, in dark murky water? she would have had to feel them not see them unless the headlights kept working but we have no idea if they did. She probably would have had a better chance in daylight

Even if the headlights worked, they'd cast their glow forward, not to the side where the windows are.

Plus, she was upside down.

How would she see them with no moon, after midnight, in dark murky water? she would have had to feel them not see them unless the headlights kept working but we have no idea if they did. She probably would have had a better chance in daylight
Even back in the day when I was in good shape and could fit through a CR-V window I think my chances of actually escaping in this situation, as described, would have been between zero and none. IMO the poor girl had no chance if what we have been told is accurate.

That makes sense, I take your point! It definitely raises the question, was the window broken (for some other reason) before the car was submerged?

I might be missing something re: the windows rolled down (and the fact that they could be rolled down while submerged under water, as others have posted). But also, I recall others posting earlier that the damage to the car (side window, dent, broken windows) could have also been caused when removing the car. It was top-side down, so maybe in flipping it over and removing the car, this damage could have been done during the retrieval of the vehicle? I don't think anything can be ruled out at this point, but I was pretty convinced by the argument that the damage to the car might have taken place during its removal.
I would bet that AWP got good video of the car’s condition before removal or manipulation.

There’s a slew of dynamics at play- water currents and below surface speed, wind direction, water circulation pattern, effects of water release, float time… that inlet maybe could naturally have water and objects pushed into it from the bigger body of water, I imagine.
Was Kiely’s vehicle 55 ft off shore?
"We have found Kiely Rodni's vehicle and have confirmed that there were remains inside," Doug Bishop of Adventures with Purpose said in a live stream on Monday. He said that their team started their search for Rodni at Prosser Creek reservoir on Sunday at 10:40 a.m. local time. They placed two sonar boats in the water, and by 11:15 a.m., they detected Rodni's car 55 feet offshore."

"We have found Kiely Rodni's vehicle and have confirmed that there were remains inside," Doug Bishop of Adventures with Purpose said in a live stream on Monday. He said that their team started their search for Rodni at Prosser Creek reservoir on Sunday at 10:40 a.m. local time. They placed two sonar boats in the water, and by 11:15 a.m., they detected Rodni's car 55 feet offshore."

Muchas gracias.

It is also confusing because the current images also seem as though there would be fewer potential obstacles for her car to hit along the way that would cause the sort of damage I think I'm seeing?

I'm not trying to be weird here, because I feel there is likely some explanation related to damage in the water or just prior. But expansive beaches is a good description.
Someone speculated that maybe she saw the water, turned hard to try to avoid it, and then rolled the car. Maybe it impacted on the left side and then rolled right into the water.

Actually, in looking more closely at this photo, it appears to me that only the left side back window is rolled down. It looks like the tinting of the right side back window remains intact?

That makes sense, I take your point! It definitely raises the question, was the window broken (for some other reason) before the car was submerged?

I might be missing something re: the windows rolled down (and the fact that they could be rolled down while submerged under water, as others have posted). But also, I recall others posting earlier that the damage to the car (side window, dent, broken windows) could have also been caused when removing the car. It was top-side down, so maybe in flipping it over and removing the car, this damage could have been done during the retrieval of the vehicle? I don't think anything can be ruled out at this point, but I was pretty convinced by the argument that the damage to the car might have taken place during its removal.
That's an interesting question. How is a submerged upside down car turned right side up under water? Is a winch attached to the front or rear bumper area and it's pulled up, does it depend on water depth, or is it rolled side to side - possible damaging a side mirror?

Yeah, but then my question is why didn't she escape if they were all open. Even in a panic she would have gotten out because the windows were open but she didn't. So either she was already deceased or she was unconscious.
I haven’t caught up yet, but if there’s damage on the driver’s side, it’s possible that it was the point of impact. Engines are very heavy and I think it would start going down nose first…in that scenario, it makes sense to try to go towards the back or rear windows to get out. I think the water would fill the car very quickly and it would be hard to know which way was up or down. Doors are very hard to open/impossible under the water.

For all who are considering this escape tool, look up 'Life Hammer".
It's what I have, and it glows in the dark.
I also know someone who used this to escape a burning car in a road accident, when his car door would not open.

From reading posts on this thread I'm not sure where the shoreline was when Kiely's car went Into the water.

I think that the CHP's MAIT team will use all available data to determine when, where, and how the car went into the lake. It may be awhile before their report is finished so we may have to speculate for quite some time. JMO.
Kiely very well may have broken it. Living in and around water ice snow, I can envision that response.
Thank goodness for MAIT and all investigators. And mathematicians and physicists. Scientists, yay!

Yes, according to the AWP presser today, it was. It is mentioned at about the 1:15 mark, car was found "in roughly 14 feet of water, and only 55 feet offshore".

but if the water was 25 feet higher two weeks ago as some have suggested (can we find anywhere to confirm this?) then she'd be in 40 feet of water and farther offshore. and the beach would be significantly smaller with less stopping distance after leaving the dirt road

Even back in the day when I was in good shape and could fit through a CR-V window I think my chances of actually escaping in this situation, as described, would have been between zero and none. IMO the poor girl had no chance if what we have been told is accurate.
the car escape scenario requires that you: a. think fast b. get your seat belt off c. do not panic though you know you are about to drown d. get the windows open e. if you have one of those tools, have it in your hand (is that likely? ) f. swim out... if you are lucky, you are just disoriented, choking on water and in shock. not great if you are upside down, impaired or concussed.

I suggest you and all of us watch the AWP video a fellow sleuther posted in this thread... maybe around page 35-38? It was amazingly informative and scary about what to do if your vehicle sinks!

Anyone able to post that link again??
Last April, Jared and Josh were driving over a snowy OR mountain pass and hit a mountain rock in the center of the road (Jared thought it was a clump of snow). They were so lucky the incident was not fatal. But that's a different story/video. On this date, they were actually on a trip to make this 14-minute video on how to escape from a water crash and show how quickly you must act. It's a very sad reality that you truly have little chance here if you are intoxicated. #RIP Kiely.

4/2/22 -- How to Get Out of a Sinking Car!.. HOW TO ESCAPE and SURVIVE

Someone speculated that maybe she saw the water, turned hard to try to avoid it, and then rolled the car. Maybe it impacted on the left side and then rolled right into the water.

Actually, in looking more closely at this photo, it appears to me that only the left side back window is rolled down. It looks like the tinting of the right side back window remains intact?

Thank you! What a great photo

1661219500507.png

1661219622848.png

but if the water was 25 feet higher two weeks ago as some have suggested (can we find anywhere to confirm this?) then she'd be in 40 feet of water and farther offshore. and the beach would be significantly smaller with less stopping distance after leaving the dirt road
When I listened to the police press video this morning, I thought he said 4-5 feet. Did anyone else hear that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli