Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised when the Sheriff’s staff said water had dropped maybe 25 vertical feet the past 2 weeks.
That's significant and would definitely make it more confusing for her if/when she came to the end of the dirt road that had brush on both sides. Right now these are expansive "beaches." If the water was 25 feet higher, the beaches might have been much shorter and she had little time to react to the change in terrain

This isn't the outcome we hoped for. Early on, many of us figured she took a wrong turn or rolled into the lake. That she was in water, not far from the party. Cars can go so much further out than people realize. In one thread, I thought the vehicle might be overturned, hence so difficult to find. This is so sad.

Hondas roll down even when submerged..also the driver window button doesn't have to be held for window to go all the way down..if you hit your driver window button it will open the window entirely
DPM
Yes, as I look closely the drivers side window does look broken. Clearly broken glass in the corner, and the DRIVER'S SIDE MIRROR is broken, windshield looks damaged??
Yeah, I don't think these things were damaged while retrieval it had to be before. There are too many items damaged when it is a gentle retreival to keep preservation.

if you think about it, she is only 16, so how much experience has she had with driving or with alcohol? maybe because she is way out there, she has driven vehicles on pivate properrty or plowed or used an ATV, but at 16, a person just has not lived that long, IMO.
Yes, you are right. I was not thinking about her lack of experience.

It is also confusing because the current images also seem as though there would be fewer potential obstacles for her car to hit along the way that would cause the sort of damage I think I'm seeing?

I'm not trying to be weird here, because I feel there is likely some explanation related to damage in the water or just prior. But expansive beaches is a good description.

The wondows do not automatically roll down when submerged, but the switches are built to continue to work after being submerged they dont short out when the car enters the water ...it is talked about on many car forums... here is one link where a honda representative doscusses it. Honda, Acura Windows Opening Automatically When Submerged?
Even then though someone would have to operate the switch if she was that cognizant then her chances of getting out were also better.

Is there some question about whether she went off the boat ramp to get to the location where the car was found? I think the boat ramp is unrelated to this car going into the water.

View attachment 361159
There’s a slew of dynamics at play- water currents and below surface speed, wind direction, water circulation pattern, effects of water release, float time… that inlet maybe could naturally have water and objects pushed into it from the bigger body of water, I imagine.
Was Kiely’s vehicle 55 ft off shore?

Has AWP said if the car was in neutral or another gear when found? Did she have her seatbelt on? Did it look like she was trying to get out? Did they notice anything out of the ordinary in tems of a submerging vehicle? Was there a large rock where the car landed? How far from shore was the car when found?

I think there also appears to be some damage to the windshield and the hood, near the very front of her CRV, but that may be the angle and I do not know enough about retrieval to comment on what may have contributed to what I think I could be seeing.

I also think she could have clipped some stuff on the way out of the party, and/or some other point in the evening. Also may explain the damage to mirror, etc.
The brown lines show elevation and water depth near the shore. There is a 10 foot drop near the shore where the car was found.

If the water was 3-4 feet higher 2 weeks ago, she might have been waist deep in water when she tipped over that 10 foot drop, nose first, then the car tipped backward. The water seems to get murky when disturbed by divers. Even if there was an open window, the mud and dirty water in her eyes would have made navigating difficult.

1661217181225.png

From the ripples in the water

That's good to note. But as for her not escaping if the car was sinking she would have time to see the openings in the windows.
How would she see them with no moon, after midnight, in dark murky water? she would have had to feel them not see them unless the headlights kept working but we have no idea if they did. She probably would have had a better chance in daylight

There’s a slew of dynamics at play- water currents and below surface speed, wind direction, water circulation pattern, effects of water release, float time… that inlet maybe could naturally have water and objects pushed into it from the bigger body of water, I imagine.
From reading posts on this thread I'm not sure where the shoreline was when Kiely's car went Into the water.

I think that the CHP's MAIT team will use all available data to determine when, where, and how the car went into the lake. It may be awhile before their report is finished so we may have to speculate for quite some time. JMO.

FWIW, someone else pointed out previously that you can very clearly see pieces of glass like the driver side window had been broken. If you zoom in on the photo of the vehicle coming out of the lake, you can see the jagged glass. Not sure about other windows, though.
It's a little weird because in most cars that do this, if you roll all the windows down, the front ones are fully down and the back ones like hers were when the car pulled out of the water. (this is either if you do that thing with the key fob or pull all four window switches simultaneously).
so it's curious that the front window is broken while the back ones are rolled down - because if they were all rolled down simultaneously, the front one wouldn't have been available to break

It's a little weird because in most cars that do this, if you roll all the windows down, the front ones are fully down and the back ones like hers were when the car pulled out of the water. (this is either if you do that thing with the key fob or pull all four window switches simultaneously).
so it's curious that the front window is broken while the back ones are rolled down - because if they were all rolled down simultaneously, the front one wouldn't have been available to break
What was the temperature the night she disappeared? Was it warm enough that she had the windows down? Maybe put the drivers window up when she started to drive to block the incoming air from hitting her face and left the others down. JMO.

It would be interesting to know if others were hanging out down by the water at any point.

And looking at the map, it really does seem possible to me that she could have called Sami from the water's edge.
That's what I'm hearing - that the last phone ping was at the location where the car went into the water.

I think the party was near the water, to the East of where the car went into the water. Party on the left, car on the right. Two separate roads lead to the circled part of the shoreline: the party. Question is - where was Kiely parked? With 2-300 people, perhaps 100 cars, did anyone park in the area where her car went into the water, or was her car the only car at that location at 12:33 AM ?

I'm curious whether this was a mirage lake reflection in front of her that looked like a road, did she hit the gas rather than the brakes by accident, were there other cars at the location at the time that her car went into the water?

1661217923096.png

That makes sense, I take your point! It definitely raises the question, was the window broken (for some other reason) before the car was submerged?

I might be missing something re: the windows rolled down (and the fact that they could be rolled down while submerged under water, as others have posted). But also, I recall others posting earlier that the damage to the car (side window, dent, broken windows) could have also been caused when removing the car. It was top-side down, so maybe in flipping it over and removing the car, this damage could have been done during the retrieval of the vehicle? I don't think anything can be ruled out at this point, but I was pretty convinced by the argument that the damage to the car might have taken place during its removal.

Yes, according to the AWP presser today, it was. It is mentioned at about the 1:15 mark, car was found "in roughly 14 feet of water, and only 55 feet offshore".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members