Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and if I were clearly thinking, I would as well. But I don't think either of us are 16 years old. I certainly am not. She may have been panicking in the darkness, trying to press any buttons she could to get a window down before the electronics shorted out.
Yeah, but then my question is why didn't she escape if they were all open. Even in a panic she would have gotten out because the windows were open but she didn't. So either she was already deceased or she was unconscious.

WHAT??? You say the windows were down? This doesn't make sense. She would have gotten out.

What if she was too confused/frightened to be able to escape efficiently? What if she was knocked unconscious by the impact of the car hitting the water?

(Once I crawled into an overturned pickup truck to try to shut the engine off, hoping that that would help it to not catch on fire. I was a bystander—not involved in the accident. It was nighttime. I crawled in through the back window, and got lost. I had to concentrate really hard to figure out where I was, where the ignition was, and which way I should turn the key. I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, either. Things aren’t as easy sometimes as we think they are.)

I also see shattered glass in the top right and bottom right corner of the driver's side window (had to zoom in about 400%, but I definitely see something).

Source of picture: Divers find body and overturned car in search of missing California teen Kiely Rodni
Agreed. If that is the case and our eyes aren't deceiving us, I wonder what all was involved in flipping the car. That seems like quite an undertaking and I would imagine it's possible things get damaged during the process. We shall see what LE has to say tomorrow.

Yes, possible, but I had an SUV with one, and I very seldom kept the cargo area covered. I think lots of people don't. We just don't know if Kiely did or not. JMO
I don't think it's material. If she had the cargo cover engaged she would have been visible atop it. If the cargo cover was not engaged she'd have been visible in the cargo area. Either way, she would have been visible in the cargo area.

And if someone had stashed her *under* the cargo cover she would not have been visible to AWP at all. jmo

Yes, possible, but I had an SUV with one, and I very seldom kept the cargo area covered. I think lots of people don't. We just don't know if Kiely did or not. JMO
I keep the cargo area covered as a matter of course if I'm trying to hide something in the city (prevent breakins). Did she still have alcohol and other stuff in the car?

but more to the point is if someone put her in the trunk with the flap locked before the car went into the water.

I hate to think of Kiely’s Mom imagining the various possible scenarios of Kiely‘s last moments. I hope she will be able to learn that it was fast and peaceful, not filled with panic. Small comfort, I know. It’s heartbreaking.

Agree. I live in CA and leave the flap open so thieves don’t break my windows thinking I have something in there worth taking.

Also, they worked very quickly to cover/shield the cargo area of the car from view (and less quickly, for example, to cover the front seat windows), which makes me think the flap was not closed/she may have been visible through the back window

ETA: (ie, not under the flap).

I have the very same SUV that Kiely drove. The back is super spacious. From the pictures I am seeing I think she tried to get out the back. It would be my first move if I entered water. I’m very curious as to why the rear view mirror is smashed yet we see no air bags floating and deployed. Meaning no harsh accident. Maybe when it rolled it hit the shore bottom to the left and broke it. Rip sweet girl.

Going to try to clear some things up based on my history of watching AWP recoveries:

awp generally covers the cars with tarps after they're removed when there are remains inside. Usually because family is on site, or media.
This time they tried their best to cover it as it was surfacing- hence why they started with the back of the car as that emerged first, and then they covered the front also.
If she didn't have a seatbelt on - either because she didn't put it on, or removed it when her car was underwater - then she could have ended up in the backseat or lain across the front seat. Especially since her car flipped upside down and then was turned upright again during the recovery.
The front end damage could be from the vehicle hitting the bottom front first, then flipping on its roof. (Eta: I just saw some clearer images, I was wrong about front end damage - i just see broken side mirror and maybe dent nearby)
Airbags - would they deploy if the impact was underwater and a slow (ish) descent to the bottom? Would the water screw up this mechanism? Would the impact in water be enough to trigger the airbags?
Windows - I've seen that some electric windows don't work after hitting water. They could have been down already, especially if she might have been feeling the effects of substances and that cold breeze could help sober up. IMO. I've done this (as a passenger!). Or the window broke out ?
Inebriation - there seems to be some speculation about even if someone is drunk they won't drive into water. It happens all the time though. It was dark - the moon set around 1230am that night. There's probably no lights, and I've seen on this board that her specific model of car has been known to have pretty dull headlights.
Also *IF* she was drinking up until leaving the party, or *IF* she took substances such as edibles, these can kick in later and you go from being relatively "fine" to completely blitzed

All JMO.

Eta: there are times AWP has recovered vehicles where the driver is in the back seat, no foul play
Excellent observations and I want to add one. My last 3 cars have been SUV's. On some models there is a pressure issue inside the car. Especially the smaller ones. I always have my right front window open a little bit as well as the rear passenger side window. The pressure is incredible if at least two windows are not open a little bit. Just an FYI.

I don't think it's material. If she had the cargo cover engaged she would have been visible atop it. If the cargo cover was not engaged she'd have been visible in the cargo area. Either way, she would have been visible in the cargo area.

And if someone had stashed her *under* the cargo cover she would not have been visible to AWP at all. jmo
That's actually not true in my SUV. The flap doesn't cover the entire area so you could shine a flashlight inside it.

does AWP not disturb the car at all as a matter of course? like they wouldn't open doors or anything?

I keep the cargo area covered as a matter of course if I'm trying to hide something in the city (prevent breakins). Did she still have alcohol and other stuff in the car?

but more to the point is if someone put her in the trunk with the flap locked before the car went into the water.
If someone else had enough control to put her car in the water, with her inside, I doubt that it mattered where in the vehicle she was, because she would have probably been completely incapacitated by then. JMO

Last edited:
Excellent observations and I want to add one. My last 3 cars have been SUV's. On some models there is a pressure issue inside the car. Especially the smaller ones. I always have my right front window open a little bit as well as the rear passenger side window. The pressure is incredible if at least two windows are not open a little bit. Just an FYI.
Clarifi
Clarification to my post. Pressure exists if you have only one window open not if all are closed.

That's actually not true in my SUV. The flap doesn't cover the entire area so you could shine a flashlight inside it.

does AWP not disturb the car at all as a matter of course? like they wouldn't open doors or anything?
The most ive seen them do is retrieve the license plate to bring to the surface for confirmation they have the correct vehicle. They then notify LE as it's considered a crime scene (this is for every case - even if it's 30 years old or the person was known to have dementia or threatened suicide etc.)
At that point LE either takes over the recovery or has AWP do the recovery of the vehicle. At that point they rig up the car to the tow lines - how they do that depends on the condition or position of the vehicle but their goal is to keep everything as intact as possible.

Imo

Yeah, but then my question is why didn't she escape if they were all open. Even in a panic she would have gotten out because the windows were open but she didn't. So either she was already deceased or she was unconscious.
I had a friend fall through ice while ice fishing. They found his truck with the drivers door rolled down, but he was still inside. LE felt the pressure from the inflowing water that was put on him was probably tremendous. They felt it stopped him from escaping the truck.
It was devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member