Found Deceased CA - Kolby Story, 32, last seen Venice Beach, car found in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles, 7 Dec 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very possible. I would like to know the content of their texts.

The two continued to text while Kolby stayed on the beach and her friend waited in his car nearby. Brother hoping for answers in disappearance of sister Kolby Story who went missing in early December after heading home from Venice Beach (nbcnews.com)

I also wonder if her sleeping bag, backpack, and ukulele were found in her car. And, her phone was apparently working fine until about 2 am? o_O MOO

I strongly suspect LE has the text content as I type this.

If this is indeed Kolby, at least her Family and Friends have closure.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
JUL 20, 2021
Unidentified remains found in Ballona Wetlands during search for missing L.A. woman Kolby Story after her belongings were located nearby (nbcnews.com)
Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Jader Chavez told Dateline that police have not identified the remains as the missing 32-year-old, but the Los Angeles County coroner’s office has removed the remains and is working to identify them.

The article says “skeletal remains”. I wonder under normal conditions how long it would take for a body to turn skeletal? Would being in the wetlands slow or accelerate that process?

The article says “skeletal remains”. I wonder under normal conditions how long it would take for a body to turn skeletal? Would being in the wetlands slow or accelerate that process?
I do not have any expertise in this area but I would say that there are many factors, probably temperature being the most significant, that determine the rate of decomposition. That said, my guess is that a moist environment would foster decomposition.

Websleuths is extremely fortunate to have a verified Anthropologist here, @10ofRods, who can answer your question much better than I can. MOO

I do not have any expertise in this area but I would say that there are many factors, probably temperature being the most significant, that determine the rate of decomposition. That said, my guess is that a moist environment would foster decomposition.

Websleuths is extremely fortunate to have a verified Anthropologist here, @10ofRods, who can answer your question much better than I can. MOO
oh yes, he's a way better source of information. wait for his input.

:(:(:(

Rest peacefully, Kolby.

g10019.gif

Timeline/locations reported by her brother
LAPD seeking public’s help to find woman who went missing in early December after leaving Venice Beach

Kolby had been at Venice Beach near the skate park with her boyfriend and another friend earlier in the afternoon on December 6.

7:00 They were back at her place
9:30 Kolby grabbed her sleeping bag, backpack and a ukulele and told her roommate that she was going back down to the beach to hang out
10:30 Kolby called a friend to help find her car keys that she had lost on the beach.
It didn’t take long to find the keys, maybe 20 minutes.
He was trying to get her to leave… told her it wasn’t safe. But she told him to go home and that she would be fine.

The two continued to text while Kolby stayed on the beach and her friend waited in his car nearby.
2 a.m. Kolby decided to leave and get into her car, which was parked near Big Daddy’s Pizza.
Kolby’s friend followed her part of the way until she turned off in the direction of her home.
12300 block of Pacific Ave last seen.

Her car was later found in the Marina del Rey police impound lot.
It had a flat tire and had been towed from a parking lot across from the Ralphs grocery back in Marina del Rey.

Here's a map with the key points, you can see how she went out of her way to get to Ralphs after she was almost to her home in Vista Mar.
Yellow: Venice Beach
Red: Almost Home
Blue: Ralph's
Green: Ballona Reserve/Remains
IMG_20210724_143401.jpg
ETA: Also, she wasn't towed from the Ralphs parking lot, but across from it, which is a few spaces in front of a huge condo development.
IMG_20210724_150943.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a bit more:

Skeletal Remains Found While Searching For Missing Woman Kolby Story Amid Homeless Encampment Cleanup On Venice Boardwalk

Apparently, the search of the tunnel area was part of a clean-up of the large homeless encampment. The "Good Samaritan" was actually a clean-up volunteer, as I understand it.

Her driver's license and checkbook were found. Further away, not too far from where her car was found, skeletal remains were found in a field in a wetlands preserve.
I think this may be another case of badly written journalism.
I think they checked the tunnel in Venice Beach for a woman held captive but her possessions were found by the Ballona Reserve by someone walking in the area which is why they sent a search team there.
It's almost an hour walk from Venice Beach to Ballona Reserve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back