CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe two crimes happened that night. I believe one happened at the party and was committed by some of the frat boys. The other was after her "friends" were walking her home and she was turned over to a male who took her to his room and attempted to commit an opportunistic crime. I believe, IMHO, that LE needs to interview the frat members vigorously because some agreed to be interviewed, then changed their minds.

Bump for Kristin.

I'm finding myself thinking of Kristin daily as the anniversary of her disappearance approaches. I Googled for updates and found this:

From October 2011:
Parents of Kristin Smart "cautiously optimistic" (short text article with video; video gives more detail and includes interviews with K's parents and the new Sheriff Parkinson)

STOCKTON, CA - Their daughter has been missing for more than 15 years, and is presumed dead, but the Smarts of Stockton are encouraged that a positive outcome is coming in their case.

<snip>

With potential evidence being re-examined by a Caifornia Department of Justice lab in Southern California, Denise and Stan Smart hope that changes soon.

<snip>

Denise Smart said even if the new lab work doesn't reveal the evidence necessary to produce an arrest, she's hoping someone who knows something will soon talk.

"These kids were 18 at the time, and now they're 33. They may have children, they may understand the loss we've endured and maybe at this point, they come forward," said Denise.

The new sheriff seems genuinely interested in solving this case. He says they are re-examining each piece of evidence they have. While the text article doesn't specifically mention DNA, in the video Sheriff Parkinson says he's optimistic "because DNA technology has come so far." And the reporter later says that the DNA testing could take months to complete.

Mrs. Smart's observation that the kids Kristin went to school with are in their 30s now and may be more willing to "do the right thing" is a good one. I am Kristin's age, and I have matured dramatically in the last 16 years. Like Bennettras, I think LE would be wise to attempt to re-interview all the players from that night.

Attachments

• kristin smart hat.jpg
    kristin smart hat.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 111
This case has been handled horribly! From the misplaced earring, to allowing the person who last saw Kristin Smart alive and a person of interest/prime suspect's room be cleaned and sanitized before any collection of evidence could be done, to taking a month to hand over the case from campus police to the SLO police department, to classifying Smart as a missing person until almost a week before she was actually "missing."

:bump:

Bumping for Kristin. I re-watched the episode of Vanished with Beth Holloway that her disappearance was featured on this past weekend . . . my heart breaks for her family and loved ones!

Where is Kristin Smart?

Just saw a commercial for True Crime with Aphrodite Jones on Investigation Discovery... she'll be exploring Kristin's disappearance this Monday, Feb 25 at 10:00 pm ET/PT. The episode is titled "Girl, Gone".

It looks interesting... Aphrodite interviews someone who was at the party with Kristin and PF, who has never been interviewed before. I'll definitely be watching.

Here's the synopsis from ID's website:
In 1996, Cal Poly freshman Kristen [sic] Smart walked home from a frat party, and was never seen again. And as Aphrodite discovers, there's only one suspect that police have been pursuing - for years. Will this baffling case ever be solved?

Justice for Kristin!

Well, I watched Aphrodite Jones last night, and didn't learn anything new. The guy she interviewed who had never been interviewed before didn't have anything to offer (IMO) besides a slightly condescending attitude toward Kristin and her family.

Still no word on the DNA testing mentioned in late 2011.

Still no word on the DNA testing mentioned in late 2011.

I watched in hopes of hearing some new information and/or an update on this during this segment, but as you said, there wasn't really any new info and no word yet on the DNA testing. :(

I hope there is some good news sooner rather than later! :please:

:bump:

What happened to Kristin Smart?

Snipped:

She was last seen walking north on Grand Avenue with Paul Flores. She was headed towards Muir Hall, which was her dormitory. Smart has never been heard from again. She was not carrying any identification, cash or personal belongings at the time she vanished.

lRSqLI8.jpg

Kristin Denise Smart

"It’s ironic that the success of finding one young woman in a city 850 miles away, has actually injured efforts to find another young woman who has never been found. To clear up any confusion, KRISTIN Smart was never found and never returned home. Because of all the attention and press associated with the disappearance and successful discovery of Elizabeth Smart, efforts to find KRISTIN Smart have been injured. This injury is manifested in in the form of a misunderstanding by the general public that the case was already solved. The mistaken belief by the general public that KRISTIN Smart has already been found means there’s little or no pressure being applied to law enforcement entities to solve the KRISTIN Smart case. We cannot begin to tell you the numbers of people we spoke with when gathering information for this story who said, “Oh yes, I remember the Kristin Smart case. That case was solved years ago.”"

I just recently came upon this case and was confused at first because her photo looks so much like Elizabeth Smart I thought there had been a mix up. It makes me so sad that she may not be getting the attention she deserves because others have made the same mistake I did and didn't investigate further. Coming up on 18 years, I hope this is the year she is found.

Much more at link:

http://californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

:bump: for Kristin. :heartbeat:

Snipped from extensive article at link above:

&#8220;Good news, good news! I&#8217;ll call on Sunday&#8221; was the voice of Kristin Smart left on the family&#8217;s answering machine Friday, May 24, 1996. Kristin did not call Sunday and would never call anyone again.

This is a sad story about a young woman with her whole life in front of her who vanished one Saturday morning from the campus of California Polytechnic State University: AKA &#8220;Cal Poly&#8221; in San Luis Obispo, California. At the heart of the story are parents with a continuing, incessant grief so deep it is beyond comprehension and description.

ArmsCrossed-e1378002968961.jpg

http://californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

Watching an old episode of the show "American Justice" with Bill Kurtis; its centered around the abduction murders of Rachel Newhouse and Aundria Crawford by that waste of flesh Krebs. Anyway, the mention of Cal Poly made me think of Kristin. I can't believe its been so long and this case is still cold to the bone. It's so heartbreaking. I find it hard to believe that LE have absolutely nothing they could use to start building a case against that person whom is so very obviously guilty. It's bad enough that college police and local police bungled this case as much as they did; you-know-who would be behind bars if it weren't for all the mistakes mad. It upsets me so much to think about. Kristin deserves justice. Bump, bump, bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper