GUILTY CA - Lana Clarkson, 40, fatally shot, Alhambra, 3 Feb 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An experiment done to demonstrate how LC could not have pulled that trigger on her own:

http://boards.courttv.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300829&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

If it doesn't take you all the way to it, the post is done by BudP, halfway down the page. Bud is a firearms expert, not just some run of the mill gun owner. He is a firearms tester, by profession, if I understand correctly.

He does not advocate anyone doing this kind of experiment - just to get that straight.

Unless LC had a pretty big bruise on the outside part of her thumb, she could not have pulled the trigger and killed herself!!

JMO
I saw his post earlier ~ and I completely agree that Lana could not have pulled the trigger on that gun, based on her wrist injuries alone. But it is very interesting to know that her thumb would also be bruised and not just missing part of her acrylic nail.

Hmmm....

"Just before" the break where they were going to start discussing possible solutions to keep Caplan from having to testify (after the teary time with Caplan), I heard one of Caplan's attorneys say something as the TV coverage was fading to a break. I believe he was directing that which he was saying to the judge. I'm fairly sure he said, "What if he doesn't testify?" (referring to Henry Lee) or "What if Henry Lee doesn't testify?" Did anyone else hear this too? Have I lost my mind?

I thought,"NOOOOOO DON'T DO THE BREAK NOW!" But away they went and the tv reporter didn't comment :(

Okay...someone straighten me out here... When I saw Lee, he was not before the jury, right? That was just a hearing before the judge and the attorneys? He is yet to testify before the jury, right?

Well, just how hard would the defense consider not having Lee testify? I don't think that is likely...but???

W

PS. I don't think the defense would keep Lee from this case for Caplan's sake, BUT HUH! they might do so for Spector's sake, particularly considering Lee's demeanor when he was previously on the stand (Lisa described the attitude nicely.)
---------------
Wrinkles, I am just catching up reading about the trial~I heard it too, found myself wondering if I heard right..

Does anyone know if the shot fired that killed
Lana was in single or double action mode?

I seriously doubt there is any way to tell.

If I had to guess, I'd say if PS was trying to act threatening, he would have pulled the hammer back (with the associated drama and sounds of cocking the weapon). If so, it would have taken much less pull on the trigger to fire the gun.

Thank you Ad, I was thinking perhaps there was a way
to tell based on the damage done to Lana's mouth.

blondekj said:
He looks like he's nodding off.

LOL! That's funny - as I recall the commentator today (6/14) say the Phil was nodding off again - and woke up with a start when AJ pounded his fist/hand on the table for effect... as gun going off I guess!

blondekj said:
Just wondering if this is an opinion carried by the owner/mod here or just somebody that doesn't like the influx of new posters.

I believe the latter, blondekj... never heard of daysleeper over here... much less being a mod, as I see chicoliving has replied above. Maybe they were implying it was the Double "B" - Webbsleuths... now there you HAVE to watch what you say, plus need some pretty good wading boots to get past all the there... LOL! :D

now I read panthera say that court will resume at 9:30am on Monday, but then don't we have the "Sara Caplan hearing" starting at 9am??!! Won't they be televising that too? So 9am is start of court Monday??

TIA!

now I read panthera say that court will resume at 9:30am on Monday, but then don't we have the "Sara Caplan hearing" starting at 9am??!! Won't they be televising that too? So 9am is start of court Monday??

TIA!
You're right ~ Caplan's hearing is 9:00am. I posted the 9:30am in reference to the testimony of the witness, James Carroll, resuming. :D

Hi lisafremont and others. First time I have visited this thread in several weeks. Glad to see some more posters here who are interested in this trial. I don't post a lot - mostly lurk. Had to go to the other place for this trial due to not many here seeming to follow it. Looks like that may have changed.

Some questions I have: Where is the info coming from that Lana had 22 broken bones and four surgeries? That's a lotta bones! Especially when there are only 7 bones in each wrist. Could that have been a typo somewhere?
Also, the fall where she broke her wrists did not take place at the Christmas just prior to the murder, correct? It was the Christmas before that?

Re: Opinions. IMO Spector murdered poor Lana. IMO Spector's dream team has a nightmare of a case. IMO Sara Caplan told the entire truth during her first testimony on the stand, tried to soft pedal it the second time she was on the stand and the judge wasn't letting her get away with it. She is now -obviously - trying to "hide" behind attorney/client privilege.

I am in wonder that slickster Robert Shapiro has somehow managed to stay out of this fray! He was there at the scene that night, yet he has never been called to testify. How did that happen?

TIA!

I may be incorrect, but I believe that the contempt hearing was scheduled for the 22nd, so that both sides had time to appeal the ruling.

Hi lisafremont and others. First time I have visited this thread in several weeks. Glad to see some more posters here who are interested in this trial. I don't post a lot - mostly lurk. Had to go to the other place for this trial due to not many here seeming to follow it. Looks like that may have changed.

Some questions I have: Where is the info coming from that Lana had 22 broken bones and four surgeries? That's a lotta bones! Especially when there are only 7 bones in each wrist. Could that have been a typo somewhere?
Also, the fall where she broke her wrists did not take place at the Christmas just prior to the murder, correct? It was the Christmas before that?
I'm glad more people are following the trial here too :) and as for the information about Lana's wrists, I believe I heard that report on CTV. Lana had broken one of the wrists a 2nd time and did have multiple surgeries but I don't have a link to a news article at the moment.

I may be incorrect, but I believe that the contempt hearing was scheduled for the 22nd, so that both sides had time to appeal the ruling.

It is confusing, but the last statement that Judge Fidler
made on Thursday, was that Caplan's appellate attorney, the defense and the prosecution were working on a stipulation that may obviate the need
for the contempt appeal. I would imagine we will learn how that all worked
out on Monday at 9:00 a.m.

Answering my own question, here is where the broken wrist info came from:

"Clarkson wasted no time in spreading the news. She emailed friends, joked about how the job might help her career ("I'm out every night anyway, I might as well make the most of it") and asked if anyone had any black scarves or other accessories she could borrow - the job required black clothing and she couldn't afford to spring for such items, although she had bought a pair of expensive black loafers. She was looking forward to introducing her wide-ranging crowd to a new round of people; she was "everyone's PR agent", as her friend, the actress Martha Smith said. "Call me if you want to be put on the list," she wrote to Robert Amstler, her bodybuilder ex-boyfriend, on 10 January. "I start next week... After being severely injured last year, fracturing both wrists in 22 places, having four surgeries and not working for seven months, I have no choice but to take a 'day' job, only it's at night! Plus, they are willing to work around my acting schedule. Thursdays and Fridays are fun nights called 'Nigel's Back' [referring to one of the owners, Nigel Shanley]. He used to manage the room and throws really nice evenings with lots of interesting people."

The injury Clarkson referred to was nearly incapacitating. And it seemed to be the most recent in a catalogue of accidents. A few years before, while horseback riding in Jamaica with Chris Blackwell of Island Records and ex-boyfriend Dickie Jobson, director of the reggae film Countryman, Clarkson fell and hurt her back. She had to be taken by helicopter to a hospital in Miami. "She was already in pain from an old injury," Blackwell recalled, "and was having headaches." Clarkson's wrist injury happened when she was trying to do the jig from Riverdance at a Christmas party. While dancing with two kids, she slipped on a loose rug and fell, requiring months of physical therapy during which her mother, Donna, her sister, Fawn, and her masseuse took turns feeding and washing her at her small cottage on the Venice canals.

"She was still healing," her masseuse Milena Popovich said a few months after her death, in thickly accented English. "While she was healing, she broke her left wrist again." According to Popovich, Lana's wrists - on the night she died, two years after the injury - were so weak that she had trouble gripping a steering wheel. "Lana was very fragile," Popovich said, "very easily hurt." This applied to her emotional state as well. "Sometimes if you disagreed with her," Popovich remembered, "she would burst into tears. She was like a little girl sometimes."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2386033.ece

Twenty-two fractures - indeed a serious injury!

Because then that would set the sage for ole henwee to
say that Caplan was mistaken. Nope, not good enough, they need to
have Caplan forced to that stand, if at all possible.

Hi, mind if I chime in here? I have been following this trial for most of its run. Have to admit, tho I have missed some days of testimony. Gosh darn I am hooked!

Bee Charmer, I so agree with you, Caplan has to be forced to the stand. Without her being 'live' before the jury, HL will make sure he entertains the jury with the performance of his life to save his reputation. Dang they could buy it hook line and sinker. :rolleyes: Maybe not tho as every dog has his day!

<snipped>
I am in wonder that slickster Robert Shapiro has somehow managed to stay out of this fray! He was there at the scene that night, yet he has never been called to testify. How did that happen?

Hi, Always!
I agree that the proper term for Shapiro is "slickster." A very slimy dude, imo.
But how did he manage to avoid being called to the stand?

I know that there have been in camera discussions bet. the two sides with in the judge's chamber on this subject.

I know that there was a declaration by Shapiro. I know that Shapiro is reported to have gloated to DDAs about the evidence the defense found which the sheriff's team missed.

And I know that Shapiro was originally lined up to testify but that that was short-circuited after the in camera talks.

Your question is good: why? Why did the prosecution back off on calling Shapiro?

Not because they are pursuing this matter any less diligently. On the contrary. And despite the TH's nattering about letting this go blah blah blah, they are continuing to press the issue: that defense expert HL collected evidence that then vanished to the point where we are now.

I think that Shapiro, being the attorney of record at first for Spector, has a claim of privilege that he would assert and litigating this was just too onerous to fight. And why should they?

They had Sara Caplan's testimony on the record. They had the judge's compelling her to testify. They had Stan White in the wings. They also have another DA to tesify to what Shapiro said. So why drag it out by going after Shapiro?

Just a thought.

Are they actually finished gnawing on the desiccated bones from North Carolina and returning to this trial?? Has there been one second of discussion of the important testimony from Thursday? No. Is any of that testimony archived on EXTRA yet? No. Pathetic.

Morning lisa and fellow trial watchers!

Okay, whatcha think, is this 'infiltration of the defense camp' referring to the allegations spewed by Bill Pavelic in his blog? He really has no regard for Stan White and when I was listening to Pavelic's testimony on EXTRA over the weekend, that last 5 to 10 minutes talked about '19 allegations' regarding SW through a question by Mr. Plourd. AJ immediately objected and questioned if BP had in essence planned this line of questioning while on break. JMO

Hello LynnG,

I read your message, but must be honest... It is in code for my unsophisticated mind. Can you spell out your thinking in a little more "kindergarten" terms?

You wrote:
>>Okay, whatcha think, is this 'infiltration of the defense camp' referring to the allegations spewed by Bill Pavelic in his blog?<<

I have never heard of Bill P, what are his allegations? Do you have a direct link to these? Give us a "kindergarten" understanding of this situation, would you?

You wrote:
>>that last 5 to 10 minutes talked about '19 allegations' regarding SW through a question by Mr. Plourd.<<

I've heard "Plourd" before but who is this again, can you clarify? And what are these 19 allegations?

Dang...go figure, I have been watching and hearing C. Plourd but didn't realize that was his name ("defense attorney Christopher Plourd") -- I'm sure he has impressed me so much that I wanted to learn his name (not!)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18959276/

WOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THEY ARE RESUMING, TIME FOR TRIAL WATCHING

w

Morning lisa and fellow trial watchers!

Okay, whatcha think, is this 'infiltration of the defense camp' referring to the allegations spewed by Bill Pavelic in his blog? He really has no regard for Stan White and when I was listening to Pavelic's testimony on EXTRA over the weekend, that last 5 to 10 minutes talked about '19 allegations' regarding SW through a question by Mr. Plourd. AJ immediately objected and questioned if BP had in essence planned this line of questioning while on break. JMO

morning, Lynn! Trial resumes with James Carroll on cross. The judge has said that a stipulation was offered and not accepted and that the contempt charge must go forward. Will be taken up this afternoon at 1:30.

Now, Lynn, I don't understand what you are asking.

Hiya Lisa,

I'm comforted that I was not the only one confused by LynnG's question.

W

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela