GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article says "knives" as in plural. If the reporter is accurate, then to me that means they are testing the household knives.

Now if a suspect kills a child, is injured, and preparing to flee the home..... is he going to put the knife he used back? IMO no. Like I said, not good news.

I suspect that going back to the home indicated a change in theory.

Yes, that is what I thought as well...the household knives- but I didn't want to think it (still don't).

Now....if there was a bloody knife at the scene they would have gathered that evidence the first time around. This to me indicates that they are testing the kitchen knives. Most certainly the killer would not murder a poor child, clean the knife, and then flee the scene. I agree that if this is true then it does not look good.

No...I'm not going there They are likely just going over every piece of evidence. There is no reason to believe that this is a change in theory. Remember-there were other witnesses to the perp leaving the home.

Also, I don't think they would be collecting DNA from the other suspect if they thought this was an inside job.

We don't need to go there.

No...I'm not going there They are likely just going over every piece of evidence. There is no reason to believe that this is a change in theory. Remember-there were other witnesses to the perp leaving the home.

Also, I don't think they would be collecting DNA from the other suspect if they thought this was an inside job.

We don't need to go there.

The police in the Ramsey case clearly thought that JonBenet was killed by someone in the house...yet they still tested the DNA of many, many people, and investigated 140 people (up to the 5th anniversary) as suspects.

If we are going to say that police are just testing the knives in the house because they need to test all possible evidence...wouldn't it also be accurate to say that LE is collecting DNA from the man because they need to look into all possible suspects?

Right now, I think LE is looking into every possibility.

The police in the Ramsey case clearly thought that JonBenet was killed by someone in the house...yet they still tested the DNA of many, many people, and investigated 140 people (up to the 5th anniversary) as suspects.

If we are going to say that police are just testing the knives in the house because they need to test all possible evidence...wouldn't it also be accurate to say that LE is collecting DNA from the man because they need to look into all possible suspects?

I guess what I am really trying to say is that we are getting perilously close to sleuthing the only person home at the time of the murder, who is a minor. I believe if they thought it was possible that it was an inside job, he would have been a bit more discreet about what he was saying. That's all. I really do not want to see this go there.

What exactly do they mean by testing the knives? Looking for fingerprints? Wouldn't there be multiple fingerprints from different family members? I feel like finding the fingerprints of an intruder would be difficult....Like wouldn't he have to touch a part of the knife that no one else had? Is there a way to look at stab wounds to determine what knife caused them?

I have a request for all of you great statistics folks we have here. How often do random crazed lunatics go into someone's home in broad daylight and kill or attempt to kill a child? I mean sure, we hear of creeping into windows in the middle of the night to kidnap a child, lurking around school yards, etc... But honestly, I would love to know just how common, or uncommon this is. And what are the chances of it happening within a couple of days of one another within an hours drive of each other???

Since the beginning, everyone is saying this is likely a targeted crime, or very likely someone who knew the child-because random people don't typically just walk into a house off the street and kill an innocent child. And then BAM, just a couple of days later, a crazed lunatic that has a similar appearance to the man described goes into a home with a bunch of people there and tries to pull a little baby out of her mother's arms with the intention of killing her because the devil told him to!!! I mean-really-what ARE the chances???

Now, the police are saying they "discovered" the knives. We do not know they are the household knives. And he did say "discovered" not simply "collected."

So I am leaning toward there being some sort of a connection and that the knives were found at the scene and were not found earlier for whatever reason and perhaps someone found them later, maybe they were dropped in the bushes or something.

He also didn't say how many knives. He could have meant 2. Or it could have been a pack of knives or a kit of some kind, perhaps a hunting kit. (I'm thinking of Dexter, who always runs around with his knife collection when he's "hunting.")

So my point is that there are a lot of very plausible explanations for all of this and I will place my bets on a connection between the 2 cases much higher than any possibility of this being some kind of an inside job.

Right now, I think LE is looking into every possibility.

Exactly. I may be in the minority here, but I suspect that law enforcement has been conducting a parallel investigation from day one. Besides, they have pretty much inferred that it is highly unlikely that the in custody is in anyway related to this case. But, they would be foolish not to rule this Jason person out; it is such an easy and relatively inexpensive procedure to simply take his blood sample since he is sitting in jail already. If LE didn't followup on a possible connection, it could come back to haunt them later when this case goes to trial. JMOO.

What exactly do they mean by testing the knives? Looking for fingerprints? Wouldn't there be multiple fingerprints from different family members? I feel like finding the fingerprints of an intruder would be difficult....Like wouldn't he have to touch a part of the knife that no one else had? Is there a way to look at stab wounds to determine what knife caused them?

BBM. They might be looking for touch DNA, in case the intruder rifled through the knives to select one.

Yes, they can determine a lot of information from the stab wounds in relation to the type of instrument that was used. There may also be microscopic DNA evidence still present on one of the knives. For example, if the knife was wiped off and placed somewhere, DNA could still be present.

What a terrible crime. I come here everyday hoping someone got arrested. IMO I think the girls Dad at the presser the other day was looking at the suspect when he was standing there like that. When you saw the parents walk in, the Dad did not look big. But when he was standing there he looked large and angry and I think it was for the subject to see.

Praying for this monster to be caught.

:praying::praying::praying:

They may be testing them so they can definitively rule them out as well.

They may be testing them so they can definitively rule them out as well.

What caught my attention, was the fact that law enforcement made a point to inform the public that they had discovered knives in the home, and that one of them might be the murder weapon, (paraphrased by me). The way it was stated sounded pretty optimistic, in my opinion.

What caught my attention, was the fact that law enforcement made a point to inform the public that they had discovered knives in the home, and that one of them might be the murder weapon, (paraphrased by me). The way it was stated sounded pretty optimistic, in my opinion.

I just listened to the video and he never said they found the knives "in" the home. They could have been found on the property.

Also, he said a "few" knives, so it would infer more than at least 3 or 4.

I just listened to the video and he never said they found the knives "in" the home. They could have been found on the property.

Also, he said a "few" knives, so it would infer more than at least 3 or 4.

I noted that I was paraphrasing what was said; it was not a direct quote. From the way the article was written, I understood it to mean that the knives were found inside the home. But, of course they could have been found outside the home as well. I would be interested in seeing the entire press conference and what was said--not just the brief shot of the law enforcement officer speaking. Wherever the knives were located, I find it a very promising lead if it is found that one of the knives was in fact the murder weapon.

Keep in mind shoddy reporting, and reporters repeating what they "heard" is somewhat common. Like the game telephone:) Even a quoted article in the paper or online can and will have errors. I have seen it myself many times.

I am curious when the DNA results will come back. That doesn't mean they will be released tho.

And yes, LE Always, Always looks at the people closest to the victim while doing their investigations. It is many times unfair to the victims family- I know someone who was put through this ringer in a bad way. But they have to investigate all avenues.

One thing here for those that may wonder if about Leila's brother- after a crime like this, there would be blood evidence, or even forensic evidence on the perp, even after cleaning up (right after the crime). I never thought the brother had anything to do with this- I think that would have been somewhat evident immediately.

What bothers me is, if the perp is was acting on impulse or passion- or even botched robbery, how did he flippin' get away so cleanly??? I mean this was a major manhunt, dogs and all- even with remote area, dogs should've tracked him down. That's what makes me think it could have been a "hit" of sorts, or he just got damned lucky. Don't think he had time to clean up, so to speak. I think he had a ride out of town- his own or someone else. JMO.

I have no idea what has become of our world. It is getting insane out there, and I don't understand why. I feel I need to implant my daughter with a GPS device!

Yeah, that is interesting to me. They chose to release that information to the public. But why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14