GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if LE released the information about the knives so the intruder would take his guard down. He would start thinking that LE is now focused on the brother. My other theory about why they released it is that they are just inexperienced with having a high-profile case, and don't realize what a development like that will do to speculation. I am just very curious as to why LE chose to share that information in on TV, in a case where their words will be picked up and analyzed by media outlets and people across the country. Why not just test the knives, and if that leads to an arrest or being able to clear someone, then make that announcement?

Keep in mind shoddy reporting, and reporters repeating what they "heard" is somewhat common. Like the game telephone:) Even a quoted article in the paper or online can and will have errors. I have seen it myself many times.

I am curious when the DNA results will come back. That doesn't mean they will be released tho.

And yes, LE Always, Always looks at the people closest to the victim while doing their investigations. It is many times unfair to the victims family- I know someone who was put through this ringer in a bad way. But they have to investigate all avenues.

One thing here for those that may wonder if about Leila's brother- after a crime like this, there would be blood evidence, or even forensic evidence on the perp, even after cleaning up (right after the crime). I never thought the brother had anything to do with this- I think that would have been somewhat evident immediately.

What bothers me is, if the perp is was acting on impulse or passion- or even botched robbery, how did he flippin' get away so cleanly??? I mean this was a major manhunt, dogs and all- even with remote area, dogs should've tracked him down. That's what makes me think it could have been a "hit" of sorts, or he just got damned lucky. Don't think he had time to clean up, so to speak. I think he had a ride out of town- his own or someone else. JMO.

I have no idea what has become of our world. It is getting insane out there, and I don't understand why. I feel I need to implant my daughter with a GPS device!

BBM-Dzokar evaded LE for almost an entire day and he had just about every section of LE looking for him and the entire city on virtual lock-down. I could see this perp getting away quite quickly if he had a vehicle nearby in a sleepy little place like this.

They must consider every possible theory and they start with the person last known to have been with the victim, in the home, families outer circle, neighbors, and so on ....all of these possibilities need to be explored concurrently.

Eye Witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Remember the witness that saw Lacey Peterson walking her dog .... After we know she was dead....it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes-of course LE has to pursue every angle. It is just that in this forum, we are not supposed to be sleuthing victims, and especially minors. The brother has not been named a POI and has been continuously referred to as a witness. Until that changes, I think we need to cool our jets on discussing any possible involvement by the child.

I haven't seen anyone here sleuthing or speculating that the brother or any other family member is somehow involved.

The release of the information about knives being looked at is going to cause discussion. there is no way around it. But I have every confidence that our members will continue to keep their speculation about the recent LE statements regarding knives within TOS.

I haven't seen anyone here sleuthing or speculating that the brother or any other family member is somehow involved.

The release of the information about knives being looked at is going to cause discussion. there is no way around it. But I have every confidence that our members will continue to keep their speculation about the recent LE statements regarding knives within TOS.

I agree and think this forum is pretty good. I guess I have just seen some hinting going on that makes me a little nervous. I guess it is because I have a 12 year old son and an 8 year old daughter, so this case really hits home for me. I just can't imagine what the boy is going through and I guess I have a need to "protect" him. I just really hope they find out who did this as soon as possible and make sure they aren't around to hurt another innocent child.

http://fox40.com/2013/05/02/investigators-recover-knives-from-leila-fowler-home/

So has Leila’s 12-year-old brother been eliminated as a suspect?

“They are simply witnesses and we are interviewing them as such,” Hewitt said.

“Could that change, that status from witness to something else?” FOX40 asked.

“It depends on what kind of information we develop over the next couple of days,” Sgt. Hewitt added.

Investigators are looking into previous calls for service from police to Leila’s home.

Are they looking into previous calls for service at the ADDRESS she lived at?
Because it was rented and others had lived there...

Or are they looking into previous calls of service at the locations Leila lived?

Maybe someone who knew a previous renter came back looking for them, but instead encountered Leila and her brother.

http://fox40.com/2013/05/02/investigators-recover-knives-from-leila-fowler-home/

So has Leila’s 12-year-old brother been eliminated as a suspect?

“They are simply witnesses and we are interviewing them as such,” Hewitt said.

“Could that change, that status from witness to something else?” FOX40 asked.

“It depends on what kind of information we develop over the next couple of days,” Sgt. Hewitt added.

Investigators are looking into previous calls for service from police to Leila’s home.

I have to be careful here: That tells me that they haven't ruled out or cleared the brother. It looks like they are looking into every possibility, which is a good thing. LE says that the brother's status could change from witness...to what? I know this a thin line...I am not trying to speculate about the brother's involvement...just analyzing what LE's statements are saying.

The bolded part...That means they are looking into any past 911 calls from the Fowler house?

I agree and think this forum is pretty good. I guess I have just seen some hinting going on that makes me a little nervous. I guess it is because I have a 12 year old son and an 8 year old daughter, so this case really hits home for me. I just can't imagine what the boy is going through and I guess I have a need to "protect" him. I just really hope they find out who did this as soon as possible and make sure they aren't around to hurt another innocent child.

I totally hear you, I am similarly affected and feel protective of this family and Leila's big brother. I have children similar in age as well. I cannot even imagine how Leila's brother is handling this. DD sometimes watches her little brother. She is excited to be approaching the age where she can start offering babysitting services to friends and relatives.

I know what my daughter would be like if something like that happened while she was in charge of her little brother. She would be devastated, guilt ridden, a total mess. 12-13 is such a hard age anyway for kids. Not grown, but no longer little. Its a tough age without a tragedy such as this one complicating matters.

OK...can someone please tell me how I can cover my ears, my eyes and my mouth all at the same time? Because I don't want to hear anything, see anything or say anything right now. I do not like the way this is going at the moment.

My heart is just aching for this family.

OK...can someone please tell me how I can cover my ears, my eyes and my mouth all at the same time? Because I don't want to hear anything, see anything or say anything right now. I do not like the way this is going at the moment.

My heart is just aching for this family.

I understand how you feel. My DS is 4 yrs older than my DD too. They are now 21 and 25, but when they were 12 and 8, I used to leave them home alone for short periods during the day time. I would run errands and leave them watching TV and playing video games. I cannot imagine him ever harming her, although they did used to bicker and argue with each other. But I believe my DS would have protected her with his life because he has always been very protective of his baby sister, even to this day.

I have to say that we did have some neighbors, that had a girl my girl's age and a boy my boy's age. So when we first moved there the kids began hanging out together a bit. But we quickly learned that the son was quite impulsive and destructive. I actually began sending my kids to a summer camp just to have an excuse to keep them away from the crazy neighbor kid, who kept lurking around our front yard. After I began saying the kids could not play together, because of his tantrums and acting out, he almost became a stalker. :eek:

So I do think that LE has to do parallel investigations until they have all of the facts.

I have to be careful here: That tells me that they haven't ruled out or cleared the brother. It looks like they are looking into every possibility, which is a good thing. LE says that the brother's status could change from witness...to what? I know this a thin line...I am not trying to speculate about the brother's involvement...just analyzing what LE's statements are saying.

The bolded part...That means they are looking into any past 911 calls from the Fowler house?

I also have a son that is almost exactly 5 years old than his sister. All of us want to believe that there is no other explanation to this horrible tragedy other than a psycho intruder.

But I think LE is doing their job by looking at all possibilities, including looking at the family dynamics - and that is what I took from the statement made regarding looking at any past police service calls at Leila's home. (moo)

Stefanie Cruz ‏@Stefanie_Cruz 1m
Investigators holding news conference on the murder of 8-year-old Leila Fowler. Got to http://www.fox40.com to watch. #FOX40

ETA direct link http://fox40.com/live/

About the time...

Investigators will give an update on Leila Fowler Thursday afternoon around 1:30, watch it live on any smartphone or computer at www.FOX40.com/Live.

1:30 Pacific
2:30 Mountain
3:30 Central
4:30 Eastern

Wait...it's 3:38 Central here...But I don't think it's started yet.

More info will be released later today. They developed or ruled out more info. He was supposed to release it now but it didn't work out so will be later. Not groundbreaking. Won't solve the case.

Something about info regarding witnesses, but I already forgot what it was while I was trying to type everything here. Sorry.

ETA that was all paraphased/shortened. Sorry. I can't type as fast as he talked lol.

More info will be released later today. They developed or ruled out more info. He was supposed to release it now but it didn't work out so will be later. Not groundbreaking. Won't solve the case.

Something about info regarding witnesses, but I already forgot what it was while I was trying to type everything here. Sorry.

So the 1:30 press conference is scheduled for later now?

Sharokina Shams ‏@kcraSharokina 3m
Sgt. Hewitt says suspect in Placerville has been ruled out as suspect in killing of Valley Springs girl.

Sharokina Shams ‏@kcraSharokina 4m
(Continued) ... Weapons in stabbing of Leila Fowler. #kcra

MEDIA RELEASE

Release Date: 05/02/13
Release Number: 6

Daily Briefings/Question & Answer Sessions for the Leila Fowler Homicide Investigation

(Valley Springs, CA) Effective immediately and until further notice, the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office will hold daily informal press briefings/question and answer sessions at the Valley Springs Sheriff’s substation at 1:30 pm. Formal press conferences will be scheduled as needed.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4995985/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members