GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire forum could be summed up in "none of our business" although I don't agree with that. Wanting to know whether this was a weekly routine is not the same as wanting to know what your shoe size is. This point of this forum is to try to figure out what happens in unsolved cases.

Like I said before, don't make a local story into a national media event if you don't want people talking about it and asking questions.

Wanting to know what Leila was doing in the hours and days before her abduction because someone might have saw her...What does that have to do with Richard Jewell?

I understand what Jhon is trying to say. For example, LE has not commented on whether or not Leila was sexually assaulted. Does that information have an impact on the investigation? You bet it does. But is it any of our business at this time? No.

I don't understand why you seem to be faulting the family for making this a national story. I don't believe they have done so. They attended one LE press breifing and said nothing (yet were gossiped about due to their actions/behavior-not here but other places.) They they attended a public vigil that the community put together for their daughter that they attended as a family, paid tribute to their daughter and thanked LE and the community for their support. They aren't on Dr. Phil at the moment. They seem to be keeping a low profile and letting LE investigate the case. LE has repeatedly said that the family is cooperating with them.

This entire forum could be summed up in "none of our business" although I don't agree with that. Wanting to know whether this was a weekly routine is not the same as wanting to know what your shoe size is. This point of this forum is to try to figure out what happens in unsolved cases.

Then find out. Sleuth. Don't make the 2-3min sound bite commercial news riddled with inaccuracies conduct public investigations because you want them too. Do it yourself. Call the local law enforcement as I've suggested twice before now and ASK. They can be a wealth of information if you try and a lot more accurate. And if they are holding something back it's generally for a good reason.

I seriously don't think the point of this forum is to request the above referenced news to become something that it is not.

I understand what Jhon is trying to say. For example, LE has not commented on whether or not Leila was sexually assaulted. Does that information have an impact on the investigation? You bet it does. But is it any of our business at this time? No.

I don't understand why you seem to be faulting the family for making this a national story. I don't believe they have done so. They attended one LE press breifing and said nothing (yet were gossiped about due to their actions/behavior-not here but other places.) They they attended a public vigil that the community put together for their daughter that they attended as a family, paid tribute to their daughter and thanked LE and the community for their support. They aren't on Dr. Phil at the moment. They seem to be keeping a low profile and letting LE investigate the case. LE has repeatedly said that the family is cooperating with them.

No, I am talking about LE making it a national news story. They are the ones giving daily press conferences. They are the ones keeping the national interest in the story alive. We know about this case due to the national media unless we live in the area. When a case gets this much coverage, people are going to talk about it, and are going to want to know what happened. It's a mystery. There's nothing wrong with wanting to know what the family was doing in the hours/days prior to the murder, or whether this was a weekly routine. We ask questions like that all the time in cases; I'm not sure why I am getting the whole "none of my business" thing for the past 5 pages.

Then find out. Sleuth. Don't make the 2-3min sound bite commercial news riddled with inaccuracies conduct public investigations because you want them too. Do it yourself. Call the local law enforcement as I've suggested twice before now and ASK. They can be a wealth of information if you try and a lot more accurate. And if they are holding something back it's generally for a good reason.

I seriously don't think the point of this forum is to request the above referenced news to become something that it is not.

When a child is brutally murdered, odds are the local news is going to report it. This particular case was picked up nationally (i.e. Front page of CNN) very quickly. I don't think calling Calaveras County Police is the best idea when they are busy investigating this case - unless you witness(ed) something or have relevant information to provide.

All JMO

Well that settles a lot for me at this time. Honestly, it really does. He has no idea if the perp is or isn't in the area and he doesn't know yet who the perp is. But I think they have DNA and prints from someone other than the family (he said that right?) and that as soon as they find out who those belong to, they will have their man.

In my opinion everything he has said points directly AWAY from the 12 year old brother.

Well, that was 1/2 the problem of the presser (vague questions)--I typed it as they spoke. What does this question mean:

"WAS DNA LEFT AT THE SCENE BY SOMEONE ELSE?"

Someone else meaning whom?--someone other than the SO who they planned DNA testing for, and who'd gotten ruled out earlier? Someone other than one or more family members? (that doesn't even make sense--of course there's going to be DNA there by family members).

The other 1/2 of the problem was, of course, the equally vague answers.

"WHAT I SAID WAS IT’S LIKELY HE IS STILL HERE; THOUGH HE MAY NOT BE, IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE..."

:shakehead:

It's the job of the media to find out this information and report it to the public. There is a Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Journalism for a reason. But ~how dare the media look into a story they are covering.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the media to ask the questions I wrote about in my original post. I'm assuming if the media did ask those questions, and LE said "No comment", the media would mention that. So that tells me those questions haven't been asked...and what is so bad about me wanting the media to ask those questions?

When a child is brutally murdered, odds are the local news is going to report it. This particular case was picked up nationally (i.e. Front page of CNN) very quickly. I don't think calling Calaveras County Police is the best idea when they are busy investigating this case - unless you witness(ed) something or have relevant information to provide.
All JMO

I totally agree. I believe it would be a waste of their time. My suggestion was directed at Eileen to pursue if she were that interested in the square footage of family home, what jobs are held by the mother and father, where other members of the family live ... etc as an alternative to requesting an enormous waste of limited news resources preventing them from actually REPORTING progress. I'd love to hear their response. I'd bet it would be a quick transfer to media relations and a "Um... that's not really any of your business" or some polite equivalent.

I totally agree. I believe it would be a waste of their time. My suggestion was directed at Eileen to pursue if she were that interested in the square footage of family home, what jobs are held by the mother and father, where other members of the family live ... etc as an alternative to requesting an enormous waste of limited news resources preventing them from actually REPORTING progress. I'd love to hear their response. I'd bet it would be a quick transfer to media relations and a "Um... that's not really any of your business" or some polite equivalent.

I would think the media being stationed in Calaveras County for the past week to attend daily press briefings that reveal absolutely nothing is a pretty enormous waste of media resources.

What progress is the media reporting? That the suspect might live in Calaveras County, but we're not sure, but we don't think the public is at risk? The progress about how two witnesses were discredited? That sounds like regression to me.

I would think the media being stationed in Calaveras County for the past week to attend daily press briefings that reveal absolutely nothing is a pretty enormous waste of media resources.

I agree.... I think given time to process all of the evidence, there will absolutely be newsworthy items to relay to the general public. But when these Q&As happen and the sherriff/representative is put on the spot to answer questions, only to have people pull apart his every word, I don't know how productive that is. That said, of course I'm hanging onto everything that is released. I just hope the minimal amount of factual information released to the public doesn''t lead people to jump to conclusions.

All JMO

I see so many new hats (usernames) have joined the conversation.

:welcome5: to all our new members.

It is my youngest son's 9th birthday today so we have family celebration plans. I will be back later to try to catch up with the latest information on Leia's case.

Hopefully someone will help catch me up when I get back on later.

Again, welcome to all our new members. :)

:wave:

It is my youngest son's 9th birthday today so we have family celebration plans. I will be back later to try to catch up with the latest information on Leia's case.

Thank you and happy birthday to your son!

tlcya, enjoy the birthday celebration! Happy birthday to your son!!!

First time I've seen the step-brother term used. That would indicate they are not related at all. We know they are a blended family, but LE has been using the term "brother" all along.

ETA-I honestly can't think of how he would be her step brother, he must be at least a 1/2 brother. I can't imagine the child would be living with the parents if he is not related to either of them.

I don't know why, but I had a feeling that the twelve year old boy was the woman's son and not related to Leila. I am referring to the woman who requested to be known as Leila's mother.

Hello, all! I'm new here. I've been reading through all 30 pages and have a few questions. Please excuse my naivety, when it comes to some of the vernacular here! Could you help me with what a few things mean?
PO- Person of interest?
LE- Law Enforcement?
MOO- No idea!!

Also, I am a bit confused about the usage of the term"foreign DNA." I have always assumed that "foreign" meant foreign to the victim. Are they meaning foreign DNA, as completely foreign to anymore in the family or anyone closely related to the crime scene? Do we even know, exactly what they mean...since they have no received lab results back?

Thanks so much! I am really impressed with the respectful discussion here :) Such a heartbreaking story. I've held my little one a bit closer lately.

Welcome to WS Blue.

MOO is my own opinion. (may also see JMO, IMO etc.)

Not sure where PO was used but yes was probably Person of interest. Usually we use POI (person of interest)

LE is law enforcement.

foreign DNA could mean any of the above depending on the thoughts of the person using it. Usually when I use it it means foreign to the victim.

I don't know why, but I had a feeling that the twelve year old boy was the woman's son and not related to Leila. I am referring to the woman who requested to be known as Leila's mother.

Where does it say she requested that? TIA

Jmo

Press conferences....... Info given out at a press conference is usually carefully considered, what to give out and what to protect. They protect for many reasons.

first, LE has them to reduce the calls to their office and allowing them more time to do their work. Instead of answering 30 phone calls and visits from reporters, they do them all at once.

second. They give as much info as considered considered not harmful to the investigation, but still protecting their theory, their case, and who is considered a suspect. They also have to consider legal issues. For instance they could give out info saying who their suspect is. But if they end up not charging that suspect, they could be sued.

third we are not the only ones hearing what they say. The actual suspect is likely watching this too. So they don't want to give out too much info.

fourth they are acutely aware that after they make an arrest, some lawyer for the defense will be looking at every word they said publicly.
The result is a lot that comes out in the press conference is watered down, and sometimes actually becomes gobbley gook. (may be in this county or may not for instance) They usually try not to outright lie, but it has been known to happen. It also leaves a lot of room for conjecture.

Many larger LE depts. use a public liaison officer for that reason. He is given the info he is to say, and he doesn't know anything else so he can't accidently or unknowingly let too much slip when answering questions.

I actually feel they gave out a lot in the PC.
For instance they wavered on whether or not the suspect remains in the county. Gave different answers. But they are strongly giving the message that the public is safe. IMO that means they do have a suspect, they know where that person is, and they don't feel that person is a risk to the public at this time. That person may not be in the county at this time. But they know where that person is and they don't feel that the person will harm anyone else. JMO

Change of topic, wasn't it said earlier that the family was staying else where for privacy at this time?

Investigators Piece Together Suspect Profile, Wait for DNA Evidence

Investigators looking into who killed an 8-year-old girl a week ago are putting together a profile of who the suspect might be.

“I feel we are getting closer and closer every day, and now we have to rely on the physical evidence,” said Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz.

Read more: http://fox40.com/2013/05/03/investi...-profile-wait-for-dna-evidence/#ixzz2SHBaSiKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member