GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, for sure, I heard at day one of this case, in a news video, that Leila Fowler did give some kind of information about her attacker before she died.

Now what kind of information AND wheter that statement was correct or not that is impossible to say.

Anyone else heard that ?

Fox reported that the coroner said there were no signs of sexual abuse, which really means nothing, because in interviewing these perpetrators over the years, LE has found that they often do sexually assault the child, but in ways that leave no marks on the child (e.g. some have fetishes such as stroking a child's hair or kissing their feet), and without going into detail, they deposit their semen elsewhere and take it with them.

I don't have a link - just learned it over the years following these cases.

FOX40 spoke with the Calaveras County Coroner shortly after he had completed his preliminary autopsy of Leila Fowler. He told us Leila had suffered multiple stab wounds, but died from shock and hemorrhage. In other words, she died because of loss of blood from her wounds.

He also told Fox40 that, other than the stab wounds, there were no signs of abuse on the 8-year-old girl, including sexual abuse.

http://fox40.com/2013/04/30/search-...young-girl-try-to-find-answers/#ixzz2SbucuD1x

Yes, I agree she could have been sexually assaulted without necessarily 'signs' (either in the scenarios you mentioned, or if this wasn't the first time). In any case, I think LE is being vague about whether this attack involved sexual assault. The rape kit and the fact that they immediately tracked down the local sex offenders might suggest that, though. JMO.

From the article I read, which was fairly lengthy:

Leila was taken to Mark Twain Medical Center in San Andreas, where she was pronounced dead at 1:01 p.m., according to Calaveras County Coroner Kevin Raggio.

Hewitt said he did not believe the Sheriff’s Office was able to get a statement from Leila before she died.

Raggio said she died of shock and hemorrhage due to multiple stab wounds. He would not disclose how many times she had been stabbed.

Hewitt said “several” knives have been recovered from the house but was not sure if they belonged to the family or the intruder. He declined to comment on the types of knives and where in the home they were found.

Hewitt would also not disclose where fingerprints and DNA evidence were found or what the DNA evidence is.

Hewitt said there were no signs that the homicide happened in the course of a robbery or burglary.

Raggio said a rape kit was used on Leila at the hospital but declined to reveal results.

When asked if it is standard procedure to conduct such a rape test on an attack victim, he responded, “not necessarily.”

The Sheriff’s Office has not stated whether Leila was sexually assaulted.

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Kidnap-suspect-eyed-in-Fowler-case?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UnionDemocrat+%28The+Union+Democrat%2C+Sonora%2C+CA+News%2C+Sports%2C+%26+Weather%29

Update no press briefing 5/7/2013
MEDIA RELEASE
Release Date: 05/07/13
Release Number: 15
No 1:30 Press Briefing Today in Leila Fowler Homicide Investigation
(Valley Springs, CA) There will not be a 1:30 pm press briefing today concerning the Leila Fowler homicide investigation.

https://local.nixle.com/calaveras-county-sheriffs-office/

Someone was asking about profiling earlier on this thread. Not sure if this has been posted yet--while no official profile has been released by LE, here's an opinion by a retired FBI profiler:

...a retired FBI profiler says the attack on Leila Fowler likely wasn’t random.

“If it was no one in the home, it was probably someone who’d seen her before and went there to kill her,” said Candice DeLong.

It’s a chilling thought for families living on-edge in Valley Springs. DeLong says the person capable of brutally taking an innocent girl’s life is probably someone who lives nearby.

“Did someone come from far across town, stop their car and randomly go into a house and kill that young girl? Probably not,” she said.

As sick as it sounds, DeLong believes the murder of Fowler may have been sexually motivated. She says there’s a 90-percent chance the killer is someone close to the little girl’s circle of friends, family members or even neighbors.

“(The killer) was either angry enough to want her dead or was trying to have sex with her. She resisted and she ended up dead,” said DeLong.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/05/05/retired-fbi-profiler-believes-killer-knew-leila-fowler/

Fox reported that the coroner said there were no signs of sexual abuse, which really means nothing, because in interviewing these perpetrators over the years, LE has found that they often do sexually assault the child, but in ways that leave no marks on the child (e.g. some have fetishes such as stroking a child's hair or kissing their feet), and without going into detail, they deposit their semen elsewhere and take it with them.

I don't have a link - just learned it over the years following these cases.

FOX40 spoke with the Calaveras County Coroner shortly after he had completed his preliminary autopsy of Leila Fowler. He told us Leila had suffered multiple stab wounds, but died from shock and hemorrhage. In other words, she died because of loss of blood from her wounds.

He also told Fox40 that, other than the stab wounds, there were no signs of abuse on the 8-year-old girl, including sexual abuse.

http://fox40.com/2013/04/30/search-...young-girl-try-to-find-answers/#ixzz2SbucuD1x

In all of Dennis Radar's (BTK) murders he didn't rape them. The only female child he killed, they did find semen near her. But they were all sexually motivated crimes. He was totally satisfied with the killing and with the fantasy he had created.

Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz announced Monday he had received some “positive” DNA results back from the state Department of Justice in his office’s investigation of the death of 8-year-old Leila Fowler.

When asked to elaborate on what he meant by “positive,” Kuntz said he could not comment further but added, “We’re making real progress.”

“The results are coming in, and I feel confident,” Kuntz said.

Later in the same daily press briefing, Sgt. Chris Hewitt said the DNA results are “one step closer to getting somebody in custody.” He said “positive” meant “helpful to the case.”

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_76cb7ea4-b72c-11e2-a4a6-001a4bcf887a.html

Her family is burying her today. It seems like a good idea not to have a press conference. (In my opinion.) I'm sure it's just our of respect, and not because there aren't developments.

Her family is burying her today. It seems like a good idea not to have a press conference. (In my opinion.) I'm sure it's just our of respect, and not because there aren't developments.

Sounds like they're close enough that one more day might give them something considerably more substantial to say, anyway. This way they won't have to fend off all the questions trying to get them to spill the beans.

Someone could have been angry and felt he didn't defend him (or a family member) as well as he could have.

------

All the tweet says is that Davis LE is looking into whether the murders are connected. It seems like almost a standard procedure (find similar crimes in the area) but I'm not super hopeful that they are.

Agree, 100%.

Or they don't want to have the presser until the paperwork is done and the arrest is made.

I'm feeling positive here in a way. Even though the fact that they already have DNA match may not be good news.

It says the presser is cancelled for today on this site:
https://local.nixle.com/alert/4998153/

I thought the funeral is today? Maybe Sheriffs want to observe and will wait for tomorrow to give the family a break and time to grieve.
Then again they could change their mind or decide to hold a presser later on.. there is certainly a lot of pressers in this case, that of which i am thankful for.

The Sheriffs also appear happy with results regarding evidence. I really think they got some good match ups on DNA, prints. They were searching the pond for some reason.. maybe someone mentioned that pond to them. FBI is helping with evidence; they have the portable crime lab outside the house & a rush order on everything. This case should be solved soon.

ITA with Candice Delong and what she had to say.

Police are likely searching the pond for bloody clothing or more knives.
The pond isn't that far from the home; if you use an aerial map there only appears to be that brackish one pond nearby. If someone were to run from the house, across the street, through the brush, one more road down, then some more brush, they'd get to the pond.

When i was a child i used to love to play near ponds and water and see what types of frogs i could catch or creatures i would find.

It's likely the local children in that immediate area know of the pond and maybe have played there.

Casey Anthony ended up using the woods (she hung out in, in middle school) as a dump site.
Humans tend to stick to that of which they are familiar. A perp without a license to drive would only have the immediate area they can walk, run, or bicycle to, to use for an evidence dump or even wash up in the pond.

Perhaps some of the key LE officials plan to attend the memorial to show their support for the family?

Heavy sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It says the presser is cancelled for today on this site:
https://local.nixle.com/alert/4998153/

I thought the funeral is today? Maybe Sheriffs want to observe and will wait for tomorrow to give the family a break and time to grieve.
Then again they could change their mind or decide to hold a presser later on.. there is certainly a lot of pressers in this case, that of which i am thankful for.

The Sheriffs also appear happy with results regarding evidence. I really think they got some good match ups on DNA, prints. They were searching the pond for some reason.. maybe someone mentioned that pond to them. FBI is helping with evidence; they have the portable crime lab outside the house & a rush order on everything. This case should be solved soon.

ITA with Candice Delong and what she had to say.

Police are likely searching the pond for bloody clothing or more knives.
The pond isn't that far from the home; if you use an aerial map there only appears to be that brackish one pond nearby. If someone were to run from the house, across the street, through the brush, one more road down, then some more brush, they'd get to the pond.

When i was a child i used to love to play near ponds and water and see what types of frogs i could catch or creatures i would find.

It's likely the local children in that immediate area know of the pond and maybe have played there.

Casey Anthony ended up using the woods (she hung out in, in middle school) as a dump site.
Humans tend to stick to that of which they are familiar. A perp without a license to drive would only have the immediate area they can walk, run, or bicycle to, to use for an evidence dump or even wash up in the pond.

JMO, but I don't think this crime could have been so effectively cleaned up by a child, so don't think it was committed by an area child--though a local pond would certainly be a place for any offender familiar with the area to dispose of a murder weapon (which is what they were searching for in 2 area lakes/ponds over the weekend).

I also agree with Candice Delong's assessment.

JMO, but I don't think this crime could have been so effectively cleaned up by a child, so don't think it was committed by an area child--though a local pond would certainly be a place for any offender familiar with the area to dispose of a murder weapon (which is what they were searching for in 2 area lakes/ponds over the weekend).

How cleaned up was the scene? LE has said they found DNA and fingerprints. So evidence was left. Whatever else they may have found we don't know.

I also highly doubt they would look at a connection with the first double murder...
If they thought this was a crime committed by someone under 16...
How would that person make it the 1+ hour to the first crime scene? :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member