GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a bit nervous about all the bashing we are doing to the defense attorney's in this case. I realize that he tweeted something off-base, calls himself super lawyer and all, but he has been hired by the family to defend their son against horrendous charges of killing his little sister.

Especially in this case, as he is a minor, I really want to know that he is getting the best defense possible. I know what evidence we do have looks bad for the boy, but also want to make sure this plays out in a court of law, as it should. We have seen so many cases where minors (and even plenty of adults) have been falsely accused and the ramifications they have had in their lives.

At this point, he is safely tucked away in a facility for juveniles and is not a danger to society, so I think it is a good idea to try to let his lawyers (whether we like them or not) try their best to defend this boy (I mean good gosh....he's only 12 years old!!!)

I really hope and pray that he is innocent and that this is all one huge mistake. I highly doubt it, but I think every minor deserves the benefit of the doubt even moreso than an adult. Call me Pollyanna, but that is just the way I feel.

I know this isn't a court of law and everyone is entitled to their opinions here, and I respect that. I just hope others respect mine on the matter as well.

I honestly cannot imagine the pain this family is going through right now. All of them. :(

Duchess... I can't find where he has done another murder case, can you?
I wouldn't want this to be his first. :twocents:
I agree with you, I can make fun of the guy and still want the kid to get a fair trial.
I think it's horribly unethical that he announced on twitter that the parents were coming to hire him.

No...but he is the guy hey chose, so I hope he has supportive staff around him with experience with murder cases.

I looked up old articles in this newspaper archive database I have access to...and I can't find one article talking about him being a lawyer for a murder case. It seems that he was a public defender for the federal court system until around 2008, and very few murder cases are tried in federal court. I really think this might be his first murder case.

Well fingerprints in blood would tell us a lot. Smart thought.

I wonder if certain items and or areas being 'too clean' would be a factor. Example: No fingerprints on the bathroom counter. Normally, you would expect to find some, but if there were none... It would not point to any particular person, but would support a coverup theory. Or, something like the TV. You would expect to find everyone's fingerprints there, but if only one set, then you could surmise that that person is the only one who touched it, after it was completely wiped down.

Do we know who was at the house when police arrived? I read the father was there, craddling Leila. IF was presumably there. Where was the older brother? Did the older sister's boyfriend come to the house as well? He was in the car when Crystal called 911 and said they are on the way, right?

I ask because if someone of the family - a man - really ran out to hide evidence how did they get back to the house without being seen again by neighbours and by police who were arriving by then? And on the other hand, if all male family members were at the house, who ran out?

All moo and pure speculation.

This is something I heard on CNN so no link. At the time the neighbor recanted, the reporter said that the neighbor was repeating what the 12 year old told her- that he was the source of her statement to LE. This wasn't presented as a theory, but I'm thinking maybe it was as I haven't read it in any of the print articles. Anyone else see or hear this?

I agree with you, I can make fun of the guy and still want the kid to get a fair trial.
I think it's horribly unethical that he announced on twitter that the parents were coming to hire him.

So far I'm underwhelmed by both the defense attorney and the judge for allowing the public into a juvenile court hearing.

Ken Pritchett ‏@kpnews 2m
No plea for 12yr old boy charged with killing his sister Leila Fowler. Hearing continued 5/29. Attorney says boy "holding up well". @ktvu

:banghead: Holding up well? Is he a sociopath? :moo:

http://www.superlawyers.com/toplists

WHAT IS SUPER LAWYERS
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.

It appears to be national.

Just an FYI... On where the term came from. It apparently is nothing to sneeze at. Moo.

I'm more concerned his attorney has Juvenile Court experience--the laws are different.

Juvenile Court Proceedings

Your access to California juvenile proceedings is strictly limited. You will not be admitted to a juvenile court hearing unless either the minor and her parent/guardian requests that the hearing be public or the minor is accused of one of a listed group of serious felonies, such as murder, arson, or rape. Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code 676a.

Even if the minor and her parent consent or the minor is accused of one of those serious crimes, you will still be excluded if the minor is accused of one of several sexual assault-like crimes and the victim requests the hearing be closed, or if the victim was under 16 years old at the time of the offense. Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code 676b.

I'm more concerned his attorney has Juvenile Court experience--the laws are different.

Juvenile Court Proceedings

Your access to California juvenile proceedings is strictly limited. You will not be admitted to a juvenile court hearing unless either the minor and her parent/guardian requests that the hearing be public or the minor is accused of one of a listed group of serious felonies, such as murder, arson, or rape. Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code 676a.

Even if the minor and her parent consent or the minor is accused of one of those serious crimes, you will still be excluded if the minor is accused of one of several sexual assault-like crimes and the victim requests the hearing be closed, or if the victim was under 16 years old at the time of the offense. Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code 676b.

Hmmm...so that seems to be saying that hearings are open if the minor is accused of murder....but will be closed if the crime involved sexual assault or a victim under 16? So since Leila was 8...why was the hearing open?

Point being, he doesn't appear to have EITHER... homicide OR juvenile experience.

Which still brings up the point. "SUPER lawyer" may be a good thing... :waitasec:
but it still doesn't appear to help him here.

A Cardiologist is a wonderful thing... unless you need a brain surgeon. :twocents:

Hmmm...so that seems to be saying that hearings are open if the minor is accused of murder....but will be closed if the crime involved sexual assault or a victim under 16? So since Leila was 8...why was the hearing open?

No, it says that if the crime is a sex offense and the victim either requests it be closed, or is under 16, then it will be closed. Clearly this wasn't a sex offense, as the hearing was open.

No, it says that if the crime is a sex offense and the victim either requests it be closed, or is under 16, then it will be closed. Clearly this wasn't a sex offense, as the hearing was open.

The victim was under age 16 though.

Even if the minor and her parent consent or the minor is accused of one of those serious crimes, you will still be excluded if the minor is accused of one of several sexual assault-like crimes and the victim requests the hearing be closed, or if the victim was under 16 years old at the time of the offense.

The victim was under age 16 though.

You're reading it wrong. The closing of a hearing only applies when its a sex offense, which is automatic if the victim is under 16, and can be done on request if the victim is over 16.

This wasn't a sex offense, so that's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321