GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they believe he's innocent have they hired someone to look for the real killer?
That is time sensitive. Evidence, witnesses, memories will fade with time.

Laura Anthony ‏@LauraAnthony7 3m
Father of 12 yr old leaves San Andreas court. Boy does not enter plea to charge he murdered 8 yr old sister Leila. pic.twitter.com/Nf4A2pXiyd

Is this Crystal next to the father?

Does the lawyer at this point know all the evidence LE has gathered? Or why would he make such a bold statement that he's innocant?

I'm not set on his guilt. I haven't seen the evidence.
They certainly appear to have done a much better investigation than in other cases of wrongful arrest.

In Michael Crowe's case they went straight to him.
In other cases where someone was wrongfully arrested they went straight to that person.

They didn't investigate other cases and possible connections.
They didn't investigate sex offenders.
They didn't canvas tons of neighbors and witnesses.
They didn't do a really thorough investigation.

In this case they DID all of the above.
So that makes it more likely to me that this is an accurate result of a good investigation.

However, I always keep an open mind. You just never know. :seeya:
If this family truly believes this kid is innocent, they need to do everything they can to prove it NOW. :twocents:

The neighbor seeing someone running from the house is a woman, it was in an article about the community after the arrest, comment by a restaurant owner. At first I questioned if it was a minor and they thought they might have seen something, but not what they thought. I'm wondering if it was actually a sighting that will be used in the trial and LE didn't want it out there. Did she see the boy running or someone who helped hide evidence, such as the knife?

I don't know what to think, except to hope SuperLawyer comes up with a better defense than "my client lied about chasing the intruder because he wanted to look tough", since that's not what the earliest stories about Leila's murder were reporting his client said. Guilty or not, the boy is entitled to competent counsel.

I looked through our first thread and checked the links up until the first press conference LE gave. All of the stories but one report that Leila's 12yo brother saw or discovered or encountered or found an intruder inside the house, and that the suspect ran. There is one story that says he "chased the robber off...", but that info comes from a third-party source. Only neighbors reported seeing anyone "run from the scene", and one of those has since recanted her story. (Links are all in the first 3-4 pages of thread 1, here: CA - Leila Fowler, 8, Murdered in Valley Springs #2 --12 year old Brother Arrested - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

>>>snipped

>Details were scarce, but television station KCRA in Sacramento reported that a 12-year-old boy encountered an intruder in his home. The man ran away and the boy went to check on his sister and found her with stab wounds.
--
>Police said a 12-year-old boy encountered an intruder in his home, and the man ran away.
--
>One of the law enforcement officers told her there was a robbery down the street, that a 12-year-old boy who lived there chased the robber off, and when he returned to the house, he found his 9-year-old sister stabbed.
--
>The girl’s 12-year-old brother was also in the home at the time. He called his parents to say that there was an intruder in the house.
--
>Deputies say the girl’s 12-year-old brother find (sic) an intruder inside.
A neighbor told police they saw the same man running from the home.
--
>A 12-year-old boy had just discovered an intruder in his home on Rippon Road, but the man ran away soon afterward.
While investigating where the man had come from, the boy made a terrifying discovery -- his 9-year-old sister had been stabbed multiple times.
--
>The boy saw a man in the house and called his parents. They called 911 but the intruder left before any adults could get there.
--
>Authorities said the victim's 12-year-old brother encountered an intruder in his home on Friday afternoon and the suspect fled, according to KCRA, a local television news station.
--
>The girl's 12-year-old brother saw the intruder inside the family home, reports CBS Local, while neighbors saw the man — described as over 6 feet tall and either white or Hispanic – running away from the scene.
--
>(video, transcribed)..Deputies say the girl's 12yo brother walked into the home on Rippon Rd., just south of Valley Springs, to find an intruder inside..
--
>The suspect ran away, prompting a phone warning from the Sheriff’s Department at 2:08 p.m. Saturday to neighbors to lock their doors and windows.
--
>Pray4Snow said: "I was able to ask the sheriff who spoke (J.m.. I cant remember his full last name) after the conference 1-on-1, if the brother did in fact see the intruder. He said yes, that is what was reported."

<<<snip

Just saying.

The neighbor seeing someone running from the house is a woman, it was in an article about the community after the arrest, comment by a restaurant owner. At first I questioned if it was a minor and they thought they might have seen something, but not what they thought. I'm wondering if it was actually a sighting that will be used in the trial and LE didn't want it out there. Did she see the boy running or someone who helped hide evidence, such as the knife?

If someone of the family or IF himself ran out of the house to hide some evidence and LE found out about it during their investigation they might have told the neighbour to recant her story because they want to use this in the trial.

However if someone of the family other than IF did run out LE would have arrested them too now.

I'm not set on his guilt. I haven't seen the evidence.
They certainly appear to have done a much better investigation than in other cases of wrongful arrest.

In Michael Crowe's case they went straight to him.
In other cases where someone was wrongfully arrested they went straight to that person.

They didn't investigate other cases and possible connections.
They didn't investigate sex offenders.
They didn't canvas tons of neighbors and witnesses.
They didn't do a really thorough investigation.

In this case they DID all of the above.
So that makes it more likely to me that this is an accurate result of a good investigation.

However, I always keep an open mind. You just never know. :seeya:
If this family truly believes this kid is innocent, they need to do everything they can to prove it NOW. :twocents:

This is all true, except if they've found his blood and DNA in her room, that's pretty huge. There's too many questions on who else did he call before LE were called, who got there first, what were the calls to the house previously and what's the history on the boy's behavior? Is there anyone who covered from past incidents that would cover for him now? Where's the knife, did someone take it away or clean it up? There's already been an alibi for a possible clean up or not being near Leila when she was stabbed by saying he was in the bathroom.

Also he said he ran out of the bathroom when he heard her screaming and chased the intruder, then found her, so in the 911 call Crystal said the boyfriend was on the phone with them and they're fine. Was this after he checked on her and she was bleeding to death, before he checked on her, the timeframe is everything. When it happened, coroner would have a timeframe, when was his call to family, etc.

IME it takes a moment to gather and herd multiple kids into vehicles when interrupted at a ballgame by an emergency call.

MOO they were at the game, call comes from IF, Crystal hands phone to older daughter's BF while taking his to call 911 (BF on phone with IF, Crystal on phone with 911) and daughter probably scrambling round getting Barney's attention and gathering kids to rush to vehicle(s)

A lot of this is probably happening simultaneously.

ETA Also, I don't know about BF, but lots of dads "assist" with coaching and are not siting in the bleachers, they are on the sidelines. ETAA maybe his phone was not on him but with Crystal. Maybe the call was meant for dad but Crystal answered the phone instead. No real way to know.

FWIW Little League has very strict rules about a coach taking phone calls during a game. We had one thrown out of the game because he answered his phone during a game.

The neighbor's story is so odd. A local waitress says she knows the neighbor, and she is normal, and she doesn't know why she would lie. Someone posted that they heard the neighbor is around 18-19 years old. IDK...We heard that Barney asked another neighbor if she had saw anything...Is it possible that he went on to the one neighbor and was like 'My daughter was stabbed by an intruder....Did you see anyone?!" and she just said Yes...because she wanted to be helpful? IDK....

Winterrose, this is what I was wondering about earlier to myself. Seems odd that she saw someone - from what I read she saw someone running in the opposite direction to the way the brother had said the suspect had fled - and told the police this. Not sure how you say you saw someone then recall this, which then made me think, like the above poster states, that this information may be true but being held by the police. It wasn't dark at this time and the only other thing i thought of was if they were mistaken, maybe because had been drinking etc? I'm going back to look at what was said about this as i'm sure i also read that they couldn't provide a description or something similar to this.

I don't know what to think, except to hope SuperLawyer comes up with a better defense than "my client lied about chasing the intruder because he wanted to look tough", since that's not what the earliest stories about Leila's murder were reporting his client said. Guilty or not, the boy is entitled to competent counsel.

I looked through our first thread and checked the links up until the first press conference LE gave. All of the stories but one report that Leila's 12yo brother saw or discovered or encountered or found an intruder inside the house, and that the suspect ran. There is one story that says he "chased the robber off...", but that info comes from a third-party source. Only neighbors reported seeing anyone "run from the scene", and one of those has since recanted her story. (Links are all in the first 3-4 pages of thread 1, here: CA - Leila Fowler, 8, Murdered in Valley Springs #2 --12 year old Brother Arrested - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

respectfully snipped

Thanks for this coastal!

re the bolded sentence: were there actually several neighbours reporting someone running? This is the first time I hear this. And only one recanted her story? Others still maintain that someone ran away?

If that is true I hope Superman, aka the lawyer quickly goes down there and interviews these important witnesses.

I agree. They did seem to exhaust a lot of possibilities. It reminds me a little of the Susan Smith case. I remember because I was a nanny and the father was so concerned about me getting car-jacked with the kids. I remember saying I thought her story was really fishy. Anyway, I think they really did try to seek other options even when their gut instinct said she and he did it. I think it was also somewhat that they sort of hoped they could find some other suspect because it is so hard to fathom they did it. No one wants to think a mother killed her kids or a 12 year old stabbed his year old sister 21 times. Motive is going to be key here. The motive in the Crowe case was ridiculous so I hope they do have something plausible because people/jurors will want one.

If someone of the family or IF himself ran out of the house to hide some evidence and LE found out about it during their investigation they might have told the neighbour to recant her story because they want to use this in the trial.

However if someone of the family other than IF did run out LE would have arrested them too now.

I have been thinking the same for a few days, now.

This is all true, except if they've found his blood and DNA in her room, that's pretty huge. There's too many questions on who else did he call before LE were called, who got there first, what were the calls to the house previously and what's the history on the boy's behavior? Is there anyone who covered from past incidents that would cover for him now? Where's the knife, did someone take it away or clean it up? There's already been an alibi for a possible clean up or not being near Leila when she was stabbed by saying he was in the bathroom.

Also he said he ran out of the bathroom when he heard her screaming and chased the intruder, then found her, so in the 911 call Crystal said the boyfriend was on the phone with them and they're fine. Was this after he checked on her and she was bleeding to death, before he checked on her, the timeframe is everything. When it happened, coroner would have a timeframe, when was his call to family, etc.

This about sums up my confusion! Lol.

Good point that the coroner has all the info about phone calls being made when, and what was said (at least the 911 calls). Maybe there are substantial gaps between calls that shouldn't be there if you want to help your dying sister. moo

Is it possible that they took two different cars to the game? Maybe one car had Barney in it...another car had Crystal, the daughter, and her boyfriend in it? If I counted correctly, if everyone but Leila and IF went to the game, that would be eight people. I really feel like the sister and her boyfriend were in the same car as Crystal, and were relaying information they were getting from IF to her. If Barney was in the car too, you would think he would be the one talking to IF on the phone. It's interesting to me that there's no mention of Barney.

I am also wondering if they were already driving home when they got the call from IF?

I am wondering where BF is during the 911 call. We do not hear him in the background. There are many assumptions that he is driving the car, but does anyone know for a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader