GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are we expected to find out today at this hearing? Just the charges and where he'll be held?

I wonder how long it will be until the judge renders a verdict? If the lawyers use every delay tactic they can think of? They don't have to seat a jury, so that whole process is out.

thanks.

it's still not on the docket for today but i didn't expect it would be. then again it's a public hearing. idk.

http://www.calaveras.courts.ca.gov/online-services/calendars/dept-1

wonder if there's a department 1 just for juveniles...but judge martin presided over the above hearings since 9am...

If it is a public hearing, can they still keep the press out?

My .02 is that without ALOT of evidence of some sort or another... law enforcement would be careful about charging IF with this crime.
It doesn't seem like they'd charge him solely based on the fact that his story didn't seem accurate.

The picture in my mind of LE having to backtrack and apologize for mistakenly charging IF is very slim ; imo. They must have a reason to arrest IF , and it must be more than a 'hunch'.
Again moo.
I'm afraid my experience watching LE with cases where I've known people involved has been quite different. LE took the easiest route, and was actually wrong in 7 out of 12 cases. But that might just be where I live. In one murder case, they just decided that "Hey, this person's cousin is now deceased. It must have really been him." Even though there was no forensic evidence indicating the guy was ever there. Then gave up on looking for anyone else.

So I always keep an open mind.

If it is a public hearing, can they still keep the press out?

IDK...Maybe the media is allowed in the courtroom just can't take pictures? If I was a reporter, I would pretend to be a curious member of the public. I looked on Twitter and there doesn't seem to be any reporters tweeting that they are about to go inside the courtroom though.

Just did something I swore I'd never do.. Signed up for Twitter.. anyone have a link for a "Quick Twitter tutorial for Twits"? lol sorry.. had to... :floorlaugh:

Just did something I swore I'd never do.. Signed up for Twitter.. anyone have a link for a "Quick Twitter tutorial for Twits"? lol sorry.. had to... :floorlaugh:

Not alot to know. You have 140 characters in a message. That includes spaces.

@ (username) is how you Tweet to another user.

# (hashtags) are used and can be searched. Example #LeilaFowler

RT = Re-Tweet another message to your followers

Ken Pritchett ‏@kpnews 2m
No plea for 12yr old boy charged with killing his sister Leila Fowler. Hearing continued 5/29. Attorney says boy "holding up well". @ktvu

I have been following this from the beginning, but this is my first comment. I could not comment before the brother was arrested because I did not want to violate TOS and I could not shake the brother being the most likely suspect. There were so many things that pointed that way. The LE remark that the attack was purposeful, and the community wasn't in danger (paraphrasing), the neighbor who said the man running from the house who later recanted were two red flags to me. I am perplexed about the clothes worn by the brother/suspect but it seems that LE has been keeping info close to the vest.

My heart breaks for the parents, and also the biological mother of Leila who surely must be grieving, regardless of her mothering skills. My love for a child in circumstances such as the brother's would be un conditional, but at the same time I do not think I could be supportive of him. I truly have no clue how this blended family - all members - will find the strength to sustain them during this time. No one should have to endure the suffering these people are going through. Finally, I cannot imagine the judge releasing the child to his family until the trial. As a parent I could not let any child in such circumstances return to the home at this point. This is a horrendous tragedy in every aspect.

Jason Anderson ‏@Stockton911 1m The Record’s crime reporter
Boy's attorney said they have no doubt of his innocence. #CalaverasCounty

Jason Anderson ‏@Stockton911 1m
At hearing for brother of Leila Fowler. The lawyers for the defendant moved to close the courtroom; judge denied their motion.

His family packed the front row as the judge asked the defendant the series of questions. His lawyers, Mark Reichel and Steve Plesser, asked the judge to close the courtroom, which was packed with media and onlookers, to be closed to further proceedings. Judge John E. Martin denied the motion but did ban cameras.

It took less than 15 minutes for the whole proceeding. The defendant will be in custody until his next court date, May 29, when his detention hearing will begin.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130515/A_NEWS/130519926

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member