CA CA - Linda Sohus, 28, San Marino, 8 February 1985

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's been a while, but I continue to think about this case, since I did know Linda Mayfield (Sohus), though had not talked to her for years before her disappearance. But here is what I think happened:
Linda took the cats to the boarding kennel. She couldn't afford to leave them for any longer than necessary, so this would have been the day before they were scheduled to fly to NY, or the day of the flight. When she returned, John was still gone doing whatever errands that he needed to do. Linda got into an altercation with Chichester. Maybe he 'came on to her'. Some reports have implied that he was rather forward with women, and Linda's best friend says that she had mentioned that Chichester was "creepy" and she stayed away from him. If he had made advances to her, she might have pushed or slapped him, and he could have accidentally killed or injured her. Or, she may have caught him stealing from John's mother, or doing something that he didn't intend for her to see. Anyway, for whatever reason, he ended up having to dispose of Linda. I think that he took her to the wilderness and dumped her. That area is surrounded by wilderness, a National Forest. It would have been so easy to take her up to the mountains and dump her. Then, he would have returned to the house, and he would have KNOWN that he had to kill John. There would be no way to convince John that Linda was all right, so John had to go. However, since Linda was already dead, Chichester had time to dismember and bury John. To me, that makes the most sense considering that Linda's body is not with John's. And I don't think that Chichester is a killer by nature, or he would have killed his recent ex-wife, since there was much more money at stake, as well as his daughter.

Anyway, I bet that Chichester stayed around for months for two reasons. One, to make sure that the police weren't digging in the yard. Two, to turn a bad situation into a profitable one. I BET that if we could look at John's mother's financial records, we would find that Chichester was getting money from her, to send to John. He probably told her that John and Linda got the job in NY, and were sent immediately to France. That they needed funds, since there wasn't even time for them to come home and get their belongings. That only he, Chichester, could send the money to John because the CIA has sworn everyone to secrecy or whatever. If we consider that John's mother went to her grave convinced that John and Linda were in France, and that she went bankrupt eventually, it is very likely that Chichester convinced John's mother that any money that he was given, would get to John. There are hints that Chichester even went to France... he probably wrote the postcards from there. Who paid for the trip? John's mom, that's my bet. If the police could look into whether a large amount of money was withdrawn from her account in the months following the disappearance, they might be able to tie Chichester to the murder that way.

When he was sure that the police weren't looking into the case, (after all, adults have the right to disappear if they want to),and when he had gotten as much money as he could out of John's mom, it was time to move to new grounds and a new name. So, he took the pickup and headed out. But he no doubt kept tabs on the mom, possibly contacting her periodically to keep her quiet and to know whether any investigation had started. It would also explain the phone call to the book store... the 'inquiry' into whether Linda worked there. If the bookstore owner had reacted with curiosity about Linda's whereabouts or any hint that the police were looking for her, Chichester would have hung up the phone and known to lay low.

Chichester isn't by nature a killer. Something happened to cause Linda's death, something that he didn't foresee. He panicked.

If we could explore any info on skeletal remains found in the mountains above San Marino in the years after Linda's disappearance, there might be some DNA that could link found bones to Linda's sister.

GAH! What is taking this jury so long?!? They have now been deliberating for longer than the testimony, opening and closing arguments took -- combined. They've just gone home after the fourth full day of deliberations. Good grief!

As an aside, Victoria Block -- Boston TV WHDH reporter -- is reporting that she's hearing rumors of a California murder indictment. (Currently, third item down on link.)

This per trutv:

Guilty on kidnapping
Guilty on assault & battery with dangerous weapon
Not guilty assault & battery
Not guilty filing a false name

No insanity found

I would not be at all surprised to learn that CR has committed crimes in cities through out the United States. I am convinced that this perp is a bonafide calculating, arrogant, psychopath!

‘Rockefeller’ loses bid to have verdict set aside
Closing argument by DA was cited for defense’s move

By Jonathan Saltzman and John Ellement
Globe Staff / March 9, 2010

300h.jpg

The man calling himself Clark Rockefeller, convicted of kidnapping his daughter, got four to five years in prison. (John Tlumacki/ Globe Staff/ File 2008)

He is the subject of a movie scheduled to premiere on cable television Saturday, but the Bavarian-born con man who calls himself Clark Rockefeller will not be able to watch it - at least not outside of prison.

Rockefeller, whose real name is Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, lost his bid to set aside his convictions when a Suffolk Superior Court judge ruled that he had had a fair trial on charges of assault and battery and of kidnapping his 7-year-old daughter during a supervised visit in the Back Bay.

Continues......

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...kefeller_loses_bid_to_have_verdict_set_aside/

"Clark Rockefeller" charged with murder in 1985 California murder.

Boston.com

"Christian K. Gerhartsreiter, 50, a German national, has been charged with the murder of John Sohus, 27, of San Marino, Calif., prosecutors said today in a statement."

Elusive 'Clark Rockefeller' figure charged in 1980s' slaying of San Marino man
March 15, 2011 | 3:26 pm

"Twenty-six years after a San Marino couple disappeared from their home, Los Angeles County prosecutors Wednesday charged an illusive German national with murder in the slaying of the husband.

The charge against Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter caps a sensational murder mystery that took a bizarre twist in 2009 when officials dug up the couple's backyard searching for evidence. John Sohus' body was found buried in the backyard in 1994, but Linda Sohus' body has not been found."

more...

FINALLY!!! Can they successfully prosecute him, though? Going to be tough.

Maybe they could trade the death penalty for Linda's whereabouts?

Hoping...

Linda deserves to come home. After all the years of uncertainty and accusations, Linda should be found and properly honored.

Joanie

Great News! I bet his ex wife Sandra is happy to. He would have been out of jail next year. Post when you hear any more news. TY.

FINALLY!!! Can they successfully prosecute him, though? Going to be tough.

Maybe they could trade the death penalty for Linda's whereabouts?

Hoping...

Linda deserves to come home. After all the years of uncertainty and accusations, Linda should be found and properly honored.

Joanie

I agree Joanie. This is JMO or maybe a gut feeling but there is no telling how many victims of CKG there are across the USA. He sure got around alot. How did he get money to live on? He had to find money somehow in order to bring home the bacon to his wife and child and keep up the charade he was living.

I personally feel he could be the person who killed Al Kite in Colorado. There is a thread for him here titled 'The torture and murder of Al Kite'. There is a photo of the suspect using Al's debit card while wearing a mask so it is difficult to see any features clearly. But there are similarities from what little I can see.

This man is a psychopath IMO. I hope they put him away forever!

all moo

wm

'Clark Rockefeller' transferred to higher-security prison

In a move aimed at keeping the man who calls himself Clark Rockefeller under closer scrutiny in the wake of a new murder charge against him, state officials on Thursday moved the convicted kidnapper to a higher-security prison.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/03/clark_rockefell_5.html

Faux Rockefeller charmed his way coast-to-coast

SAN MARINO - Nearly three decades have passed since a man calling himself Chris Chichester stepped foot in Southern California, but the trace he left behind lingers in the memories of longtime residents.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_17652737?source=rss#ixzz1HANG5Dbr

Older dated article from VanityFair, but interesting. Has a number of pictures of suspect as he appeared over the years.

fran

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit

By snatching his seven-year-old daughter from her mother&#8217;s custody, after a bitter divorce, the man calling himself Clark Rockefeller blew the lid off a lifelong con game which had culminated with his posing as a scion of the famous dynasty. The 47-year-old impostor charmed his way into exclusive communities, clubs, and financial institutions&#8212;marrying a Harvard M.B.A.; working at Kidder, Peabody; and showing off an extraordinary art collection&#8212;until his arrest brought him face-to-face with his past and with questions regarding skeletal remains dug up in a California backyard.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...E88&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR&qpvt=Chris+Chichester

Aliases
Clark Rockefeller, a Boston Brahmin and scion of industry whose friends included important artists, writers, producers, physicians, financiers, and members of prestigious private clubs.

Chris Gerhart, a University of Wisconsin film student

Christopher Chichester, a descendant of British royalty

Christopher C. Crowe, a TV producer, who had worked for at least three Wall Street investment firms in the late 1980s before suddenly vanishing

He was Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, a 47-year-old German immigrant who had come to America as a student in 1978, and who had disappeared into a complicated existence that the Boston district attorney would call &#8220;the longest con I&#8217;ve seen in my professional career.&#8221;

In this article it has two additional alleged background statements.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/09/local/me-sanmarino9
Could he be Chichester, the charming South African with the odd accent who in the early 1980s lived in the guesthouse behind the Sohuses' home on Lorain Road?

Could he be Christian Gerharts Reiter, an effete German exchange student who landed in Connecticut in 1979?

Other than him living in a guest house on the Sohus' property, their disappearance shortly before he moved away, John's body being buried in the backyard, and "Rockefeller" being a con-man, I am curious what solid evidence LE has that he committed the murder? It's been a long time but they must have something substantial to bring charges now. MOO

I wonder if CA Investigators every thought the motive of the murder or murders would be "Industrial Espionage" Perhaps this conman was at a social event, heard a company head talking about another company's wish of having inside computer information on some project etc. and this con man thought he could get this information and sell it to this other company head.

I was looking to see if I could find answers to the question on how LE thinks they can link this guy to this crime. I seem to remember, as this below article references, at the time he still resided on the premesis and the couple had disappeared, there was digging in the back yard. He claimed there were plumbing problems. I'm not sure if this next is a FACT, but I THINK I remember a program on tv about this and some of their belongings were missing. Not sure of that fact, I could be thinking of something else.

Anyway, interesting in this below article, he got married to someone else before his last wife, and just disappeared on her. A relative thought the marriage was so he could get a green card.

fran

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401762,00.html

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

'Rockefeller' Kidnap Suspect Is Wanted German, Police Say

LOS ANGELES — A man charged with kidnapping his daughter in Boston is a German who lived in the guesthouse of a Los Angeles-area couple who disappeared in 1985, a sheriff's spokesman said Monday.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401762,00.html

OOooooohhhhh! Bunch more info! I forgot this part, LOL, he claimed to be a secret agent! Interesting comments.

fran

Here's some more aliases:

San Marino police say Christopher Chichester – then in his 20&#8242;s - also called himself Christian Gerhard Streider,

Christian Gerhard Streiter,

Christopher Crowe,

Christopher Mountbatten,

Christopher Crowe Mountbatten,

and Christopher Crowe Mountbatten Chichester.

Clark Rockefeller, thought to be 48, has also used at least five aliases –

James Frederick,

Michael Brown,

JP Clark Rockefeller,

Clark Mill Rockefeller and Dr J Rockefeller –

and claimed at different times to be a mathematician, a physicist, an investment banker and a secret agent working for the Pentagon.

http://a11news.com/454/jonathan-and-linda-sohus/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini
Back