CA CA - Los Angeles County, WhtFem 225UFCA 1 of 2 Children killed by dynamite, 1921-1951

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Beverly Potts could be a possible match.

In theory, maybe, but in practice unlikely in the extreme.

The collection of photo swhich includes the ones of these children's bodies dates from a 30 year period between 1921 and 1951. Beverley went missing in the late summer of 1951 so you'd have to be able to explain how she would have got from OH to CA quickly enough to fit into the time span which itself is bookended by the start and end of the photographer's career.

It's much more likely that the photos are from an earlier date since work on the reservoirs was carried out in earlier decades.

I've been researching this and I'm wondering if the picture had been mislabeled. I would think that two children getting blown up would end up on the front page, or at least get mentioned inside the paper. I've found nothing. Perhaps the children died in some other way. The pic of the girl didn't show anything that would lead one to think she was killed by dynamite.

I've been researching this and I'm wondering if the picture had been mislabeled. I would think that two children getting blown up would end up on the front page, or at least get mentioned inside the paper. I've found nothing. Perhaps the children died in some other way. The pic of the girl didn't show anything that would lead one to think she was killed by dynamite.

I've not seen the photo but clearly she was sufficiently uninjured for a sketch to be made of her face. It's possible that she was killed by the blast wave which would have caused internal injuries without necessaily leaving visible ones on the outside. It's also possible that the pair died by entirely other means and that the dynamite was used to conceal the real cause of death.

About lack of newspaper coverage - yes. it's strange. Obviously in those days newspapers were very much more local than media is today, and there have been a lot of mergers amongst smaller media, so it's possible the story was covered in one or more papers that no longer exist and never made it into archive.

It's also possible, if the deaths were caused by dynamite linked to work on one of the dams in the region, that pressure was put on the media to ignore the story.

I've not seen the photo but clearly she was sufficiently uninjured for a sketch to be made of her face. It's possible that she was killed by the blast wave which would have caused internal injuries without necessaily leaving visible ones on the outside. It's also possible that the pair died by entirely other means and that the dynamite was used to conceal the real cause of death.

About lack of newspaper coverage - yes. it's strange. Obviously in those days newspapers were very much more local than media is today, and there have been a lot of mergers amongst smaller media, so it's possible the story was covered in one or more papers that no longer exist and never made it into archive.

It's also possible, if the deaths were caused by dynamite linked to work on one of the dams in the region, that pressure was put on the media to ignore the story.

I have seen the picture. She clearly died from some sort of explosive force. (I won't go into more detail unless someone asks, because it is a gory photo.)

Does anyone own the book, pictures of Jack Huddleston death scenes? There are a few pictures from the book online, but not from this case. I searched and searched but couldn't find them. The ones I saw have dates on it.

I will start by noting that the book does offer that Huddleston started with the Santa Monica police department and that he obtained some other photos from connected friends, so there is NO guarantee this was even in the Los Angeles area.

Yes, I have a copy of the book. The photo's are on page 58 and 59. They are undated and appear to be speed graphic pictures with NO writing or printing on the margins. There is amazingly little info present. However, I will say, the girl appears to have lost her left hand, possibly foot, but extensive damage to her right lower leg below the knee. Her face is largely intact however there is damage to the right side of her face.

The boy has nothing but pulp left where his head was. Both of his feet are intact as are his legs.

Last edited:
I will start by noting that the book does offer that Huddleston started with the Santa Monica police department and that he obtained some other photos from connected friends, so there is NO guarantee this was even in the Los Angeles area.

Yes, I have a copy of the book. The photo's are on page 58 and 59. They are undated and appear to be speed graphic pictures with NO writing or printing on the margins. There is amazingly little info present. However, I will say, the girl appears to have lost her left hand, possibly foot, but extensive damage to her right lower leg below the knee. Her face is largely intact however there is damage to the right side of her face.

The boy has nothing but pulp left where his head was. Both of his feet are intact as are his legs.

Thank you very much for this info. Such a petty we don't come any further with the date/year. So if I understand you right besides the doubt about the year this happened it's also unsure if this happened in the LA area at all? With this you also answered some questions from other members about the injuries of the girl.

I wonder what position they both had in relation to the explosion. His head blown off but legs and feet intact and her leg damaged and only a part of her face .... I have to think about this for a while, picture this in my head, trying to figure out what could have happened on the scene.

@ Whorton Seeing the pictures, do you have thoughts about it.

Last edited:
12-13-2017 they revised the doe file. Now stating the girl could have been between 13 - 19 years and "Two children or teenagers found sticks of dynamite" etc. In those days I think somebody at 19 would not considered to be a child anymore.
225UFCA

Thank you very much for this info. Such a petty we don't come any further with the date/year. So if I understand you right besides the doubt about the year this happened it's also unsure if this happened in the LA area at all? With this you also answered some questions from other members about the injuries of the girl.

I wonder what position they both had in relation to the explosion. His head blown off but legs and feet intact and her leg damaged and only a part of her face .... I have to think about this for a while, picture this in my head, trying to figure out what could have happened on the scene.

@ Whorton Seeing the pictures, do you have thoughts about it.

Hello Bit of Hope,

There are several interesting yet troubling about the picture. There are actually two pictures, one of the male and another one of the female. They are not pictured together. The male is laying on ground with a few plants and lots of dirt clods. He appears to be wearing dress pants, a sport jacket and both of his shoes are on his feet. He is laying on his back and we are viewing from his head downward towards his feet. The only damage seems to be extensive fragmentation to his head (unrecognizable) His right arm is draped over his body and hand is missing or mangled. It is difficult to discern if there is blood near his head or just shadows. The picture is well lit and appears to have been taken in the early afternoon.

Contrasted with the female. who appears to be laying on sand with no plants visible. (appears to be a beach almost.) She is also laying on her back with her face clearly visible and in remarkable condition. Left side facing us. Her left foot appears mangled, but right leg is missing mid tib fib region. Clothing is pretty extensively ravaged and she may have avulsed intestines.

Can I post the photographs here?

The logical explanation for the injuries, assuming they were together, was that he was on his stomach examining whatever exploded and she was standing near. (which would explain the concussive force on her mid to upper body)

In reading the introduction, there would seem to be little to verify the pictures with, as it was clear that he obtained them from many sources, including "just found them in the lab."

My guess is, if the FBI WAS involved, they might be able to ID it with a FOIA request. But we may have better luck with the lottery!

I would be happy to scan and post the pics. As they were likely taken in the 30's to the 50's and by a police photographer, I doubt a copyright claim could be made. Who knows, if the admins OK it, I will be happy!

Regards,

It would be really helpful if you could. I think we would be able to guess when the pictures were taken by looking at the victims' clothes. People in 1950s wore different clothes than people in 1930s and perhaps someone who's familiar with the history of fashion will be able to tell us more about the victims' clothing.

I think it is likely that they could have died during the dam building projects of the years between 1933-1940. I have read quite a few history books from that time regarding the depression-era WPA dam blasting and building. I have seen several photos in the books that show warning posters from that era that are directed at children. The posters show dynamite and explosives and the wording was like, “DANGER! These are explosives!” And then in smaller print: “If you find these do not touch or pick up. Leave them alone and tell your parents or another adult”

In school when we studied about the Tennessee Valley Authority and other WPA dam building programs our textbooks featured the posters too. I grew up in the Midwest and the WPA provided jobs for many men here during the depression, not just dam building. My family has always spent a lot of time in state parks and you will see displays, memorials, and signs dedicated to the WPA workers. And some of my great-great uncles worked for the WPA so stories have been handed down in my family.

Sorry I meandered off topic here but I wanted to explain that I have always had an interest in history from the depression era. I have always been fascinated by dams, and my father was too,especially Hoover Dam. We visited many dams and my dad and I were able to tour Hoover Dam back when you were able to go through the behind-the-scenes tour inside the dam, which is no longer allowed.

So, back to the topic, I know from the history I have read, and heard from some of my older relatives who lived through that era, that many men died building the dams and in blasting accidents. Often the men remained unidentified, because they had traveled far to obtain work and no one knew their families or how to reach their next of kin.

It was a different era for children, too, at least in some parts of the country. Many or most children were born at home and often births weren’t registered. Families had large numbers of children and it wasn’t uncommon for one or more children to die during childhood. Accidents and misadventures were common. Sometimes a child or two would go missing and when they weren’t found it was jut assumed they had drowned, been attacked and killed by animals (in rural areas) or other accidents.

I’ve read diaries from the 1930s-1944 or so and I can’t tell you how many entries I had seen like, “The neighbors’s littlest drowned today, sorrowful but now they have one less to feed.” Or “ Brother Billy and his friend have been missing for a week now. The men searched but have given up as the children must have met demise.”

Some of the diaries would have entries like, “We found a young boy today, he is about four or five and doesn’t know his name or where is parents are so he will stay with us.”

So if this accident did happen from the 1930s-1940 I think it is possible that the families just never knew what happened, or assumed they drowned, or something else.

Hello Bit of Hope,

There are several interesting yet troubling about the picture. There are actually two pictures, one of the male and another one of the female. They are not pictured together. The male is laying on ground with a few plants and lots of dirt clods. He appears to be wearing dress pants, a sport jacket and both of his shoes are on his feet. He is laying on his back and we are viewing from his head downward towards his feet. The only damage seems to be extensive fragmentation to his head (unrecognizable) His right arm is draped over his body and hand is missing or mangled. It is difficult to discern if there is blood near his head or just shadows. The picture is well lit and appears to have been taken in the early afternoon.

Contrasted with the female. who appears to be laying on sand with no plants visible. (appears to be a beach almost.) She is also laying on her back with her face clearly visible and in remarkable condition. Left side facing us. Her left foot appears mangled, but right leg is missing mid tib fib region. Clothing is pretty extensively ravaged and she may have avulsed intestines.

The logical explanation for the injuries, assuming they were together, was that he was on his stomach examining whatever exploded and she was standing near. (which would explain the concussive force on her mid to upper body)

In reading the introduction, there would seem to be little to verify the pictures with, as it was clear that he obtained them from many sources, including "just found them in the lab."

My guess is, if the FBI WAS involved, they might be able to ID it with a FOIA request. But we may have better luck with the lottery!

I would be happy to scan and post the pics. As they were likely taken in the 30's to the 50's and by a police photographer, I doubt a copyright claim could be made. Who knows, if the admins OK it, I will be happy!

Regards,

Thank you. It would be really helpful to see the pictures. We could click the report button and ask the moderator if it is allowed. I've seen so many PM pictures and crime scenes, but they were always hidden in a link with "warning" signs....

I'm thinking about the fact that this were two separate pictures with different surroundings. Are we even sure they were actually together. The source of the pictures is unknown. I wonder were the background story came from...maybe this are two different incidents, who know.

I think it is likely that they could have died during the dam building projects of the years between 1933-1940. I have read quite a few history books from that time regarding the depression-era WPA dam blasting and building. I have seen several photos in the books that show warning posters from that era that are directed at children. The posters show dynamite and explosives and the wording was like, “DANGER! These are explosives!” And then in smaller print: “If you find these do not touch or pick up. Leave them alone and tell your parents or another adult”

In school when we studied about the Tennessee Valley Authority and other WPA dam building programs our textbooks featured the posters too. I grew up in the Midwest and the WPA provided jobs for many men here during the depression, not just dam building. My family has always spent a lot of time in state parks and you will see displays, memorials, and signs dedicated to the WPA workers. And some of my great-great uncles worked for the WPA so stories have been handed down in my family.

Sorry I meandered off topic here but I wanted to explain that I have always had an interest in history from the depression era. I have always been fascinated by dams, and my father was too,especially Hoover Dam. We visited many dams and my dad and I were able to tour Hoover Dam back when you were able to go through the behind-the-scenes tour inside the dam, which is no longer allowed.

So, back to the topic, I know from the history I have read, and heard from some of my older relatives who lived through that era, that many men died building the dams and in blasting accidents. Often the men remained unidentified, because they had traveled far to obtain work and no one knew their families or how to reach their next of kin.

It was a different era for children, too, at least in some parts of the country. Many or most children were born at home and often births weren’t registered. Families had large numbers of children and it wasn’t uncommon for one or more children to die during childhood. Accidents and misadventures were common. Sometimes a child or two would go missing and when they weren’t found it was jut assumed they had drowned, been attacked and killed by animals (in rural areas) or other accidents.

I’ve read diaries from the 1930s-1944 or so and I can’t tell you how many entries I had seen like, “The neighbors’s littlest drowned today, sorrowful but now they have one less to feed.” Or “ Brother Billy and his friend have been missing for a week now. The men searched but have given up as the children must have met demise.”

Some of the diaries would have entries like, “We found a young boy today, he is about four or five and doesn’t know his name or where is parents are so he will stay with us.”

So if this accident did happen from the 1930s-1940 I think it is possible that the families just never knew what happened, or assumed they drowned, or something else.

Thank you, this is very informative. But also gives little hope for finding this youngsters.

Thank you. It would be really helpful to see the pictures. We could click the report button and ask the moderator if it is allowed. I've seen so many PM pictures and crime scenes, but they were always hidden in a link with "warning" signs....

I'm thinking about the fact that this were two separate pictures with different surroundings. Are we even sure they were actually together. The source of the pictures is unknown. I wonder were the background story came from...maybe this are two different incidents, who know.

I hit the button and asked the moderator if this pictures could be added to this thread.

I hit the button and asked the moderator if this pictures could be added to this thread.
Hiya - I am speed reading a bit but not catching where the pictures come from? Is there a link to the pictures we could use instead of posting them? Or if not linkable how were they obtained and is there anything on the pics that would demonstrate they are from a reputable source? You're welcome to respond to me here or message me to discuss further. TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnemarieNL
Back