CA CA - Los Angeles County, WhtFem 225UFCA 1 of 2 Children killed by dynamite, 1921-1951

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey, good to see people trying to solve this but I am wondering... how can anyone view a photo of a dead child, escpecially one blown up? Does anyone who has small children look at that post mortem, because I could not bring myself to click, it makes my stomache turn just thinking of the poor thing.

Because it's necessary. I have a 7 y/o, 4 y/o, 3 y/o, 1 y/o, and another on the way. There was no one to walk into the morgue, and say, "Yes, that's my baby, he lived, he laughed, he loved, and I want to make sure he is remembered." So someone has to. Postmortems in general, either you have the stomach for it or you don't. It's no different with adults. They are someone's baby, someone out there still remembers their first steps, first words, and the very first outfit they ever wore. It takes some getting used to, but it's not that hard when there's a purpose to it.

I could never be one of those people that gawks at accident photos or watched Faces of Death (not anymore), because there is no purpose. But this, it's worth the heartache.

Holy Cow! How common was this? I understand kids weren't as closely supervised back then, no real reason, but how much dynamite was just lying around waiting to be found?

How are we ever to be sure that they weren't identified? I would have no idea where to look, since there is no way to be sure of anything on this, except that they died within a certain thirty year span.

This is bizzare! I've read about the book the sketch/photo is from and the reason they estimate 1921-1951 is because the photos and description come from the photo 'scrapbook' of LAPD detective Jack Huddleston, who was a detective from 1921 to 1951. The book it's all from was published significantly later than his death, so who knows what happened later.

If anyone is looking for a report, both the boy and the girl definitely died, there's only a sketch of the girl because, to be delicate about it, a sketch would not be possible for the boy. So it must be a case where both children, boy and girl, died at the spot, and not of injuries later. Will try to look through old papers again.

Hmmmm...this is an interesting case. A couple of thoughts I have:

--The remains of both of the deceased look to be older (age-wise) than what I might term "children." Legally, they might have been under 18 and therefore considered minors/children, but they look to me to be teens. I think maybe they weren't so much "playing" with the dynamite as maybe picking it up to figure out what it was, or to see if maybe it was something they could use or get scrap parts from.

--The review of the Death Scenes book linked below refers to the deceased as "a young lover couple." Now, that's likely just speculation on the review author's part...but that review website is authored and maintained by Anil Aggrawal, who appears to be a professor of forensic medicine. Which makes me wonder if he is also judging them to be older than we might think of as "children" because of his medical knowledge and interpretation of the photos of the remains. (Hope that made sense.)

Book review (WARNING: photos from the book are posted on the review, starting from the very top--so don't click on the link if you don't want to see gory photos. There are only 3 short sentences about these two, though, and it doesn't say anything new about them--and the photos from this particular case aren't on there--so there's really no need to click unless you want to read about some of the other cases):

http://www.anilaggrawal.com/ij/vol_002_no_002/reviews/pb/page003a.html

--The ages of Brenda Jo Howell and Donald Baker would fit if the children were older/teens, but the Charley Project page for Donald Baker says that Howell was Edwards' sister-in-law. If true, then I think LE would have already run a comparison of the photo with known/suspected victims of Edwards, and ruled the female out as a match for Howell.

--And actually, I think they would have ruled the female out as a match for any known missing persons from that area, since LE would have photos of the missing. Which makes me think that no one knew they were "missing," per se. If the two deceased are in their teens, I wonder if perhaps they eloped (perhaps with their families' knowledge), so there was no reason to report them missing, so that might be why they weren't identified. There was such a mass migration of people going west to look for work in the stated time period--from the Dust Bowl, to the Depression, to people flocking to find work in the shipyards during WWII. A lot of young people probably left home to find work out west, and were never heard from again simply because it wasn't as easy to stay in contact back then. Or maybe they came west with their families, and then it was just assumed they had run off together, and that's why they weren't reported missing.

--I also wondered if the photos were even from California, since the police officer had photos from all over the US in his collection. However, his notations on the boy's photo say, "Found some dynamite near one of our dams [emphasis mine]." The "our" makes me think it was a local (to him) case.

--The photos of both the boy's and the girl's remains appear to have either stickers or pixelated bars placed over the left bottom parts of the photos, partially obscuring words and/or part of the photo. Several of the other, non-related photos from the book have that as well. Now, I'm looking at these photos from a website, so it's possible that the website owner did that for some reason...so if anyone has the book, it would be interesting to know if the obscured places are in the original photos, as well. If so, I would love to know what's under there? Maybe the scrapbooking police officer blocked out the "from the police offices of" ID marks so that officers who sent him photos from other departments (which were probably not meant to leave the police files, ever) didn't get in trouble for sending him stuff? If so, that might give some clues about location and time period. Just speculation, though--anything (or nothing) might be under those obscured spots.

This is so weird. I'm guessing that by children, they mean like little kids, judging by the fact that they were playing with explosives, but they could technically have been as old as 17, but I doubt they were that old. Why were these kids never identified and why do they not know what YEAR they went missing and died? Where were the parents in all of this? The fact that these were children and they were never identified suggests to me that these kids were probably about 10-14. Maybe they were very young runaways from a foster home or an orphanage? It doesn't make sense how a child could play with dynamite and die and the parents are nowhere to be found.

EDIT: Actually, upon clicking on the Doe Network link, it confirmed these were teens. I'm just slow :v

Maybe she ran away from home with her boyfriend and this is what happened to her? She doesn't look like any missing young women from 1921-1951 that I know of though.

I've been looking through issues of the LA Times from 1921 to 1951, I've found a number of accidental deaths from dynamite explosions and a couple of suicides but I haven't been able to find an explosion in southern California where a young couple/boy and girl were killed.

If it was during the 20's, it makes more since to me if they weren't reported, because their families very well could even have been aware of their deaths.

My best example is Frank Haynes; he was a train accident victim in 1921 and was only known as "Some Mother's Boy" for the past 96 years. Just this year he got his name back and it turned out his family was aware of his death, they just didn't know where he was buried at. The town he died in was 2 hours away from his hometown, and back then things weren't as connected as they are now, even though they had been in contact with the coroner..
http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/scott-county/article156370509.html
http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/ne...cle_b7a34374-2acf-11e7-ac4c-7f8d6e7d56ad.html

With the dynamite accidents during the 20's, it really surprises me! My grandfather was a child during the late 20's who almost got his jaw blown out by a firework he found. Why were these things just laying around?

Was there ever clearance, a resolution? I'm not fond of looking at post-mortem pics especially with blunt force trauma, but does anybody has the post-mortem pic of the girl?

It's possible to create a facial reconstruction just from a person's DNA nowadays, isn't it? It's an old case, and if it's from the 1920s then it's quite possible these kids' relatives are all dead now, but I try not to lose hope.

It's possible to create a facial reconstruction just from a person's DNA nowadays, isn't it?

Yes it is. The reconstruction uses probabilities rather than absolute values, so they will say that there is an 80% chance the person had blue eyes and assign probabilities to a range of heights for example, then create an image using the most likely features.

With the dynamite accidents during the 20's, it really surprises me! My grandfather was a child during the late 20's who almost got his jaw blown out by a firework he found. Why were these things just laying around?

50 years from now people might be saying the same about leaving guns around for kids to pick up.

Can we narrow down which dam these young people might have died at?

List of dams in LA county:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dams_in_Los_Angeles_County,_California

Of the ones listed, these were built between 1921 and 1951:

Mulholland Dam (1923-1924)
Rindge Dam (1924-1926)
St Francis Dam (1924-1926) (Failed in 1928, Demolished in 1929)
Santa Anita Dam (1924-1927)
Bouquet Canyon Dam (1934)
Hansen Dam (1939-1940) (US Army Corps of Engineers)
Santa Fe Dam (1941-1949) (US Army Corps of Engineers)
Sepulveda Dam (1941-1949) (US Army Corps of Engineers)

Of those 8, I think we should be looking at the 5 pre-war ones. Those are the ones that would have used civilian labour and are most likely to account for 2 kids or teenagers, ie family members of employed labour, mucking about. I'm guessing that site security would have been much tighter at the 3 built by the army just before and during wartime. Also, it seems likely that inventory of explosives would be much more closely controlled during wartime than during peacetime so it seems less likely that dynamite would just have been left lying around during and after construction.

I'm not sure this really gets us any further forward but the speculation is interesting in itself.

The failure of the St Francis Dam is also interesting. I imagine it's well known in the US but for the rest of us it's an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis_Dam

What's particularly interesting is that local farmers and landowners in the Owens Valley carried out a number of what today we would call terrorist acts, dynamiting parts of the nearby aqueduct which carried water from the mountains to Los Angeles so it's clear that at least some local people had access to substantial amounts of explosives.

Does anyone know what would have happened to the remains of the victims in LA county during this time period? Would they have been buried and if so where? Without having access to the bodies (and thus DNA) there's probably no way to push this case forward.

Yes it is. The reconstruction uses probabilities rather than absolute values, so they will say that there is an 80% chance the person had blue eyes and assign probabilities to a range of heights for example, then create an image using the most likely features.
Very informative, thank you for explaining! :)

Can we narrow down which dam these young people might have died at?

List of dams in LA county:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dams_in_Los_Angeles_County,_California

Of the ones listed, these were built between 1921 and 1951:

Mulholland Dam (1923-1924)
Rindge Dam (1924-1926)
St Francis Dam (1924-1926) (Failed in 1928, Demolished in 1929)
Santa Anita Dam (1924-1927)
Bouquet Canyon Dam (1934)
Hansen Dam (1939-1940) (US Army Corps of Engineers)
Santa Fe Dam (1941-1949) (US Army Corps of Engineers)
Sepulveda Dam (1941-1949) (US Army Corps of Engineers)

Of those 8, I think we should be looking at the 5 pre-war ones. Those are the ones that would have used civilian labour and are most likely to account for 2 kids or teenagers, ie family members of employed labour, mucking about. I'm guessing that site security would have been much tighter at the 3 built by the army just before and during wartime. Also, it seems likely that inventory of explosives would be much more closely controlled during wartime than during peacetime so it seems less likely that dynamite would just have been left lying around during and after construction.

I'm not sure this really gets us any further forward but the speculation is interesting in itself.

The failure of the St Francis Dam is also interesting. I imagine it's well known in the US but for the rest of us it's an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis_Dam

What's particularly interesting is that local farmers and landowners in the Owens Valley carried out a number of what today we would call terrorist acts, dynamiting parts of the nearby aqueduct which carried water from the mountains to Los Angeles so it's clear that at least some local people had access to substantial amounts of explosives.

Does anyone know what would have happened to the remains of the victims in LA county during this time period? Would they have been buried and if so where? Without having access to the bodies (and thus DNA) there's probably no way to push this case forward.

Brilliant thinking...thanks....

On May 27 <1927> the problems in the Owens Valley escalated once again with the dynamiting of a large section of the Los Angeles Aqueduct, part of the California Water Wars. A second incident took place a few days later which destroyed another large section. In the days that followed, several more sections of the aqueduct were dynamited which caused a complete interruption of the flow. The near-full reservoir behind the St. Francis dam was the only source of water from the north and withdrawals began immediately.

I really don't know what they did with the bodies in those days....maybe they are listed on the government list of UIDs...have to look for that. Also I believe member CarlK knows a lot about Californian UID's, maybe he has some more information.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back