CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have armed drones reached the consumer market yet? Or, could a high end drone be modified to deliver shot(s) via remote control?

(yes, a crazy, wild speculation, but thought I'd just throw it out there);)

This was actually discussed before in NOCO with some examples. I'll try to find the posts. Yes it's been done and its quite scary. Hatfield is actually quite knowledgeable about drones. Maybe he can weigh in.

Last edited:
There is still a black market for it. I don't know what California's tax on marijuana looks like, but in Colorado, the combination of all taxes is about 30%. Plus, I assume the pre-tax amount to buy from a dispensary may be marked up too, given the cost to maintain a store front, and the cost of the licensing etc. Buying from the illegal growers gets the product at a much lower price.

What I've heard is that the black market services out of state. No one I know is buying illegally. (And about 50% of the people I know use). It's so easy to go to the store now. I've been. It's just so normal. Nobody wants to deal with cartels or shady people on the street. Now it's just a business.

But I'm not seeing this at all related to coming upon a grow. Thousands of people frequent that park each week. It's a well-used park. It wouldn't be a dad with toddlers, out of all those people, who discovered a field of pot and was then inexplicably stalked to his tent and then after he was asleep, killed.

But the one poster indicated that maybe it's more like people who could be growing in the area might also be the shooter not because anyone stumbled upon anything but, I think, because they just might be a shady, creepy person to begin with who is more likely to do something like this?

It's possible.

If TB was killed by someone who had been targeting random campers then it could be anyone.

However, I'm going to venture to guess it's someone from the area who has a grudge of some sort. Maybe doesn't like the crowds?

Or maybe like others have said it's connected to the juvenile camp or to a ranger. Etc. It could be anyone.

KBUU did a longer piece on the shootings. The reporter goes into the park and asks people if they know about the incidents. Most know nothing at all.

Sheriff's deal with 6 Malibu Cyn shootings, then a 10 1/2 month pause
Yikes, people in from out of town, had no idea about the shootings...were not told...

REPORTER: “I’m doing a story about the shootings out here have you heard about that about a week ago?

ADULT MALE #2: “No we are from Chicago.

REPORTER” “From Chicago?

“There’s a campground right over there and somebody got killed right there by some sort of maniac.

ADULT MALE #2: “Oh wow.”
REPORTER: “Does that alarm you that something like that happened?”
ADULT MALE #2: “[CHUCKLE] Uh. Yeah I mean I think any incident where somebody gets shot … I think that’s alarming.

REPORTER: “So you weren’t warned about that?” “

ADULT MALE #2: “No not at all.”

"REPORTER: “Does it alarm you that your hiking out here and they didn’t tell you about this?”
ADULT MALE #3: “Yeah, actually that would be good to know if you’re coming out here with your family.

“There’s a lot of families out here with the kids…there are a lot of little children here actually.

REPORTER: “Where are you from?”

“ADULT MALE #3: “L-A.”

REPORTER TO YOUNG WOMAN: ““this is your first time here right?

YOUNG WOMAN: “Yeah.

REPORTER: did you hear that somebody was shot here

YOUNG WOMAN: “yeah I heard over the news

And like six other people were shot here?

I did not know that whatsoever.

They’re not warning people about that does that worry you?

Yeah I’ll little worry it’s my first time here so now I’m a little worried about it."

Sheriff’s Deal With 6 Malibu Cyn Shootings Then A 10-1/2 Month Pause – 99.1 KBUU is RadioMalibu.Net

Here is a May 30, 2018 CNN article about illegal cartel activity in our national forests and a Sacramento Bee, June 2, 2018 article about the illegal cartel grows in Yosemite.

“There is a manifest black market in California”, said US Attorney General McGregor Scott. “It is of biblical proportions.”

Illegal marijuana on federal land a growing problem in California - CNN

Illegal pot grows found in Yosemite, forests. Officials crack down, citing 'catastrophic' poisons

There's a big difference between National Forest/BLM lands in the Sierras or remote Trinities and parks close to/within large urban areas. Also, there's a big difference between state properties and national properties.

Yikes, people in from out of town, had no idea about the shootings...were not told...

REPORTER: “I’m doing a story about the shootings out here have you heard about that about a week ago?

ADULT MALE #2: “No we are from Chicago.

REPORTER” “From Chicago?

“There’s a campground right over there and somebody got killed right there by some sort of maniac.

ADULT MALE #2: “Oh wow.”
REPORTER: “Does that alarm you that something like that happened?”
ADULT MALE #2: “[CHUCKLE] Uh. Yeah I mean I think any incident where somebody gets shot … I think that’s alarming.

REPORTER: “So you weren’t warned about that?” “

ADULT MALE #2: “No not at all.”

He hasn't been reading/watching the news? Googled the campground? He might not have remembered an announcement, 'cos people sometimes "forget"?

IMO, this isn't that strange. When I've gone camping with a group of families before, we've all parked at one site and left the parking area of the other sites empty for the kids to have a space to ride their bikes around in, that was off the road. They could have simply kept their two cars together at #49 to give the kids a place to ride bikes and play at #51.

Agreed. The parking spot in the one campsite might also have been closer to where the BIL set up the tent in the adjacent campsite. OR they were sharing the picnic table and the cars with the food and coolers in were both near the picnic table.

We also don't know if more people were expected at those two sites. The BIL and victim were there Thursday night, correct? There may have been a few more folks expected along after work Friday. I say this because each spot could take 8 people. The BIL and victim and kids could all have gone on one spot, but they had two, so maybe they were expecting more tents/cars on those spots for Friday-Sunday.

There's a big difference between National Forest/BLM lands in the Sierras or remote Trinities and parks close to/within large urban areas. Also, there's a big difference between state properties and national properties.

True, however please do not forget these articles:

Marijuana Grow Site Found in Santa Monica Mountains - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

The Frog and the Pot Farmer Battle for Land in the Santa Monica Mountains

It seems illegal growers are not picky as long as there is seclusion, good soil and free water. JMO

Agreed. The parking spot in the one campsite might also have been closer to where the BIL set up the tent in the adjacent campsite. OR they were sharing the picnic table and the cars with the food and coolers in were both near the picnic table.

We also don't know if more people were expected at those two sites. The BIL and victim were there Thursday night, correct? There may have been a few more folks expected along after work Friday. I say this because each spot could take 8 people. The BIL and victim and kids could all have gone on one spot, but they had two, so maybe they were expecting more tents/cars on those spots for Friday-Sunday.

Do we know for sure they took two separate cars? perhaps they drove there together with all the kids, and then set up two camp spots so they had a little extra space for the kids to play or spread out.

If you'd lived in LA you wouldn't be surprised. Yep. ^^^That. Bullet-riddled signs, and stupid people thinking sneaking into a park, and using it as target practice at night is a cool or fun thing to do.

A popular thing around here is to go around to the "game crossing" signs and plink them. Putting a hole right on a deer crossing's nose, like Rudolph, is especially popular. I've seen a moose crossing sign with the moose totally outlined. And these are in areas where the bullets would have had to go into populated areas.

Do we know for sure they took two separate cars? perhaps they drove there together with all the kids, and then set up two camp spots so they had a little extra space for the kids to play or spread out.
There were 2 vehicles side by side in crime scene photos. They clearly belonged together, since they had a similar thing going with bike on the car, kid stuff, etc.: they looked like they belonged to the same genre of camper!

"REPORTER: “You live here and you still hadn’t heard about it?

WOMAN #2: “No no.”

REPORTER: “What are your thoughts?

WOMAN #2: “Well I think it’s crazy.

“I mean, I have a baby and I think that’s absolutely nuts.

Part of me even thinks now — after speaking to you — that I don’t ever want to come walking here.”

NARRATOR: “All afternoon people were walking, right past me, past the tape, past the road closed sign.

Through the campground where the murder occurred 10 days ago."

Sheriff’s Deal With 6 Malibu Cyn Shootings Then A 10-1/2 Month Pause – 99.1 KBUU is RadioMalibu.Net

This was actually discussed before in NOCO with some examples. I'll try to find the posts. Yes it's been done and its quite scary. Hatfield is actually quite knowledgeable about drones. Maybe he can weigh in.

Hello everyone. Been catching up on this thread.

Yeah I own a basic Drone. And we did some research if weapons can be attached to drones at the time of the NOCO random highway shootings.

What we found out is it can be done and has been done before but it is very uncommon and not likely. Definitely not possible with a shotgun or any long gun. We found a couple crazy youtube videos of where someone attached a handgun to a drone and rigged it to fire. More or less just a crazy stunt.

So its not likely to be what is happening in the state park in this case. Basing that opinion on some of the incidents seem to be done with a long armed weapon IMO. The shotgun slug found in the ladys incident and the shotgun pellets to the guy in the hammock was definitely a long arm weapon. And with the guy in the tent I am leaning towards a long arm weapon there as well although that could be a powerful handgun too.

So I think we can outrule a drone rigged weapon shooter.
Witnesses probably would have heard the drone if a drone was used as I would think it would have to get pretty close to have any sort of real accuracy.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Been catching up on this thread.

Yeah I own a basic Drone. And we did some research if weapons can be attached to drones at the time of the NOCO random highway shootings.

What we found out is it can be done and has been done before but it is very uncommon and not likely. Definitely not possible with a shotgun or any long gun. We found a couple crazy youtube videos of where someone attached a handgun to a drone and rigged it to fire. More or less just a crazy stunt.

So its not likely to be what is happening in the state park in this case. Basing that opinion on some of the incidents seem to be done with a long armed weapon IMO. The shotgun slug found in the ladys incident and the shotgun pellets to the guy in the hammock was definitely a long arm weapon. And with the guy in the tent I am leaning towards a long arm weapon there as well although that could be a powerful handgun too.

So I think we can outrule a drone rigged weapon shooter.
Witnesses probably would have heard the drone if a drone was used as I would think it would have to get pretty close to have any sort of real accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback.

"REPORTER: “Does it alarm you that your hiking out here and they didn’t tell you about this?”
ADULT MALE #3: “Yeah, actually that would be good to know if you’re coming out here with your family.

“There’s a lot of families out here with the kids…there are a lot of little children here actually.

REPORTER: “Where are you from?”

“ADULT MALE #3: “L-A.”

REPORTER TO YOUNG WOMAN: ““this is your first time here right?

YOUNG WOMAN: “Yeah.

REPORTER: did you hear that somebody was shot here

YOUNG WOMAN: “yeah I heard over the news

And like six other people were shot here?

I did not know that whatsoever.

They’re not warning people about that does that worry you?

Yeah I’ll little worry it’s my first time here so now I’m a little worried about it."

This is shocking to me that the park is not at least having a warning sign posted at the park or something.

They are opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit if someone else ends up getting shot.

Not only that is I am a firm believer in that people have a right to be informed of any danger of staying in the state park. In other parks I have seen warning signs to be aware of bears and other wildlife so why not at least warn people there have been unexplained recent random shootings.

That makes it even More bizarre. If a car driving in bw 10 and 5 had all its tires punctured - I'd think the people in the car would be dealing with that, not driving on to the campsite and then driving back out with flat tires. That would have made them so noticeable when they got to Las Virgenes Road. Soo now I think it's unlikely it was a car coming in. Wow. I was Not expecting to come to that conclusion.[/QUOTE
There is still a black market for it. I don't know what California's tax on marijuana looks like, but in Colorado, the combination of all taxes is about 30%. Plus, I assume the pre-tax amount to buy from a dispensary may be marked up too, given the cost to maintain a store front, and the cost of the licensing etc. Buying from the illegal growers gets the product at a much lower price.
Yes. It's the same here. 30% if you go to the dispensary. Yes, there's still a market - but at least up here a lot of people are abandoning their grow operations. I just think the cartel-run ones would be the first to leave - but the non-cartel ones would try to hang on. That's just a guess though. Yes, the cartel ones include a lot of guns.

There were 2 vehicles side by side in crime scene photos. They clearly belonged together, since they had a similar thing going with bike on the car, kid stuff, etc.: they looked like they belonged to the same genre of camper!
<modsnipped>
Also, has anyone seen in MSM that
holes in tent were bullet holes. The
only time I heard they were bullet
holes was from DB, the
scientist brother from radar on line.
Very curious! My family camped when
we were kids & since a tent is pulled
taut, holes were not unusual from
tree branches, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status