CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
tent #49 appears smaller than tent #51 and not the same.
Attached is crime scene image; REI marketing image; and image not of victim's tent but that of another person (not at MCSP campground) who has similar tent.
Thanks for tge photos. The BIL’s tent appears to be the newer version of the same tent and maybe a 4-person, not a 6.

Apologies for asking this again but why isn't LE telling us at least how many bullets were found, whether there were casings? And can't they tell by the wound whether the person was close or far away? Even if they have no clue what happened there is information that they're not releasing. Why, if they have no clue who it is? Newbie questions; I don't know how this works. Thank you to anyone who can educate me a bit. If this is inappropriate to post here I'd very much appreciate a PM from someone willing to chat with me a bit about this. Thank you!

Apologies for asking this again but why isn't LE telling us at least how many bullets were found, whether there were casings? And can't they tell by the wound whether the person was close or far away? Even if they have no clue what happened there is information that they're not releasing. Why, if they have no clue who it is? Newbie questions; I don't know how this works. Thank you to anyone who can educate me a bit. If this is inappropriate to post here I'd very much appreciate a PM from someone willing to chat with me a bit about this. Thank you!

It's just protecting the integrity of the investigation. Even if they have no clue this is super early in the investigation and rarely these days do they give out info to the public that could be used to rule suspects in or out.

Simply, we have no right to that info and it is highly unlikely that publicizing it would result in a break. Instead, it's a huge risk that releasing such info would hamper their investigation and make it perhaps impossible to solve.

It's just protecting the integrity of the investigation. Even if they have no clue this is super early in the investigation and rarely these days do they give out info to the public that could be used to rule suspects in or out.

Simply, we have no right to that info and it is highly unlikely that publicizing it would result in a break. Instead, it's a huge risk that releasing such info would hamper their investigation and make it perhaps impossible to solve.
Ohhh, I didn't know this is considered early. I actually thought it was late and people might forget
My tip: First, get an overview of the case on page 1 of the thread. Then, read a bunch of posts in this thread and you'll get the gist. Read the rules on the home page for good measure. Wing it.
I had no idea this was considered early in an investigation. And yes, I'll go back and read everything. Thank you!

Thanks, it’s probably the most scared I’ve been in my life. It sounded fairly close to me. I estimate our tent was about 60-70 yards from TB’s
After this horrific camping experience at Malibu, how do you feel about possible future camping trips? Will you be hesitant to plan next trips with your family or not let the evil get in your way of enjoying outdoors?

This never seemed related to the other shootings in the park. He was killed, the others were not. He was shot in the head in the dark. Planned and targeted. Truly awful.

All the other shootings were in the dark and two were very close to being in the head. The one guy had his arm over his head and his arm got hit.

Don't you think that eventually someone shooting at campers is going to hit one?

The thing that veers me away from it being related though is the number of shots. That's different.

And our poster who was there said it didn't sound like a shotgun. More rapid fire.

All the other shootings were in the dark and two were very close to being in the head. The one guy had his arm over his head and his arm got hit.

Don't you think that eventually someone shooting at campers is going to hit one?

The thing that veers me away from it being related though is the number of shots. That's different.

And our poster who was there said it didn't sound like a shotgun. More rapid fire.
No, not in the head in the dark. No, I don't. Others see it differently I know, but that's my feeling.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why the bullet holes were not grouped in multiple holes.
Someone mentioned upthread that maybe the holes in the tent were exit holes instead of entry holes. What if TB was targeted and knew the shooter, and the shooter entered the tent (I’m thinking from the side by the trees, away from the BIL). And TB was awake or awakened (maybe on purpose), saw the gun, and tried to defend himself. Maybe some shots were deflected but 1 hit him? Or some shots missed because he was moving, maybe he wrestled briefly, etc? So maybe 2 bullets made obvious holes in the tent and are outside somewhere (remember the metal detectors?), 1 entered his head and killed him, and 2 lodged elsewhere (under the tent, in a duffle bag or diaper bag).
What do people think about the metal detectors? Am I remembering correctly that they were used in the area around the tent?

In addition to what others have said, there might be something special about the gun used that they don’t want to reveal to the public. This might be why the medical examiner’s preliminary report was pulled, and why the autopsy report won’t be made public.

Here’s a thought........
Anyone familiar with the relationship between pharmaceuticals and the environment? I haven’t had a chance to look into this much yet, but it seems there may be some tension between pharmaceutical companies and environmentalists. I wonder if that could be a potential motive for a targeted hit?

<modsnipped- sleuthing family is not allowed>
I wonder if through D there could be a connection to an environmental extremist who disagreed with Tristan’s work because of it’s potential effect on the environment. And maybe the work that Tristan was going to do at his new job involved the use of chemicals/chemical compounds to which the extremist was adamantly opposed.
And maybe that person would have known that Tristan would be camping that night.
Hmmm........maybe a motive and a connection??

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is if you reserve ahead of time, you reserve a specific site. I have had that happen for every single campground I've gone to with a reservation (at least 50;I usually go without), except one: Acadia National Park. And I likely could have switched if I wanted to at Acadia.

Since the BIL and the victim had adjacent sites, they almost certainly would have had to reserve, since there were few sites unoccupied and it's a reservable campground.

Yes, we have always reserved ahead of time and requested specific sites. We have camped at this campground several times over the years, and always requested specific sites. We usually go during Memorial Day weekend so we reserve almost a year in advance.

<modsnipped- sleuthing family is not allowed>
I wonder if through Dylan there could be a connection to an environmental extremist who disagreed with Tristan’s work because of it’s potential effect on the environment. And maybe the work that Tristan was going to do at his new job involved the use of chemicals/chemical compounds to which the extremist was adamantly opposed.
And maybe that person would have known that Tristan would be camping that night.
Hmmm........maybe a motive and a connection??
OK, sorry, was just trying to show confirmation of the education and type of work that the other person does. I thought people would ask for it if I didn't post it.
To be clear I wasn't trying to implicate a family member. Just trying to show that if TB's shooting was a targeted hit by someone other than a hit man, there could possibly be an acquaintance or colleague of a family member or friend who might have a (crazy) motive and know where TB would be that night (via direct conversation, overhearing a discussion, reading on social media). And someone who might be comfortable in a park/campground at night and navigate trails easily if a trail was an escape route.

Although professional jealousy might really be a more likely motive.....

Last edited:
Thanks to Roadtripper's articulate and vivid account of the early morning on June 22 , we now have a better understanding of what took place that morning.

Some of the most important pieces of information provided by our fellow camper are:

-The shot came at 4:27 (911 call was made by someone at 4:44)
-The shots sounded fairly close to him, not far away.
-Multiple shots came very quickly in a group (bap,bap,bap.....6 in total), no time to react between shots.
-When looking out of his tent, he could not see anything. It was extremely dark. He also did not hear anything except a baby crying until a male voice called out for help.
-LE showed up soon after. Searched the area with spotlights. (Obviously they didn't find anyone walking or running away from the camp ground or hiding in the bushes.)

JMO, MOO:
-I still can't determine with 100% certainty between random vs target.
-The shooter was inside the camp ground. (shots sounded close)
-If the shooter is a random shooter who had merely walked in, just hoping to kill somebody that morning, he/she is very lucky LE didn't spot him/her running away or he/she stayed at the camp ground when LE showed up.
- Very curious to find out if LE recovered all 5 or 6 bullets. And where they were located.
- Even more curious to find out if there were several bullet holes in the tent.

If this was a planned murder, whoever killed TB had planned the murder very very well in advance as not to be suspected by LE.
Or we have a very lucky random killer not to have been caught, enjoying his/her freedom.

I smell a cold case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member