CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it's getting awfully quiet regarding this murder. I don't think that's a good thing. Why was there no press conference? I know that they didn't want to give any info and probably didn't have much to share in the first place but with all the other earlier shootings I feel like the press would have a lot of questions. How does this usually work? Does the press have to request a press conference or does the Sheriffs department usually voluntarily offer one to inform citizens?

It's the signs of a cold case. Everybody knows that the first 48 hours is the critical time in any investigation. They don't have to solve the case in 48 hours, but they had better have a suspect and most of the evidence in the first 48 hours, or the chances of solving the case plummet. I doubt they have anything to report.

From the CBS LA report:

Detectives are hoping reward money will lead them to a suspect.

Statements like this would indicate that LASD is short on evidence and light on leads.

And still no public safety advisory regarding MCSP and the surrounding area.
That's why I don't understand why the reward is so low. If someone knows something they'd be more likely to say so if the reward was huge - which it could be. These people are not poor

That's why I don't understand why the reward is so low. If someone knows something they'd be more likely to say so if the reward was huge - which it could be. These people are not poor

I'm surprised that the reward isn't higher because of the funds that have been raised for the family, well in excess of the original goal, that could be partly dedicated to that purpose. But I am not shocked that the family hasn't put up a large reward out of their own pre-murder funds. While this couple could look forward to fantastic earning potential down the road, they may have been cash-strapped in the present depending on multiple factors: what their housing was in Irvine (rent or mortgage? If mortgaged, did they have a buyer lined up?), how they were paying for their move to the Bay area, what kind of living arrangements they had made there, and likely an assortment of student loans for long years of education, including an advanced medical specialty. EW is also beginning a career that requires hefty malpractice insurance. While they're not poor by any stretch of the word, they may not exactly have been rolling in disposable or easily-liquidated funds either.

I lived in this area, from 1999 until 2017. My gut feeling is that this was a random shooting, not a targeted victim.

I say this partly because this camp site area, and the Hindu Temple area, is an area where local teens/young adults, hang around, cruise around, drink/party/get high and create problems.

It is kind of ironic, that we moved our kids out of Venice Beach area, when they were entering middle school, to try and get away from gangs and hard core drugs etc. So we scrimped and saved and moved to a very high income area, thinking that would help.

It is ironic, because some of the most messed up, hard core trouble makers were actually the 'neglected' teens who lived in the mansions and drove Mercedes they got on their 16h birthdays.

A lot of these local kids have too much money, too much time on their hands, and no supervision. I have seen and experienced a lot of incidents which I cannot post. But my daughter got caught up for a little while with a boy that fits that mold. Thank goodness she broke up with him and found a better crew.

Oddly enough, this same group of kids used to routinely rent several camp sites there and have big parties. The rangers came around, but I think some of the local parents were influential enough to kind of stifle the rangers power. If the kids were quiet, they could stay up and hang out together all night, getting high etc.

I am NOT AT ALL saying that I think any of the kids I knew are randomly shooting anyone. I am just saying that this general area, and that road, is the main drag connecting the local kids to the beach. So they are out and about in that area all night in the summer. And there are certain homes that are party spots for all the local kids. A lot of them have family beach houses, that the parents leave to the kids to party in.

It would not surprise me one bit to find out that a small group, or even just one, local messed up bitter person, was walking around their childhood stomping grounds and randomly shooting at potential targets.

Wow! I didn't know you lived in SoCal.

Very illuminating post. I can't say I'm shocked by the picture you painted but it's some excellent detail most of us would never know otherwise.

I think it may give us some theories to go on as to what and why this happened, if it wasn't a specific target.

I just got a flash of the Isla Vista shooter and his personality. If Tristan wasn't specifically and purposefully targeted for some unknown reason, is it possible we are dealing with a similar, angry, isolated, jealous, entitled, impotent and vengeful loner?

My boss's company sells 70,000 maps a year JUST for California recreation areas!!! <modsnip- against TOS to invite a pm on open board> And yes, the maps are updated every 2 years, unless there's a big change in which case he'll update them sooner. In other words.....there are more maps being sold than you might think - and most of them are online sales - so remembering anyone would be a miracle.

Thanks for the good information about the number of USGS / USGS based maps being sold. I had no idea that it would be anywhere near that level.

Rather, I was guessing hundreds of map purchases per year for coastal SOCAL as a whole with dozens a year for a particular spot.

All of these recent articles are derived from this 25 July press release from LASD's Information Bureau:
*Statement from Erica Wu* #LASD $30k Reward for Info Regarding Suspect(s) in Death of Tristan Beaudette
As noted per the CBS LA report linked to earlier, LASD has declined to speak directly to reporters or to offer any other comments on the case.
There's never been a press conference on this case with the exception of Lt. Rodney Moore's statements on scene at the very beginning, if you can call that a press conference. At the time, LE didn't know much, including that the victim had been shot in the head.
Moore did give later statements to People (who've been pretty dogged on this case) saying things like 'there are a lot of unknowns' and 'I couldn't even begin to guess' a motive. But it's been a wall of silence otherwise - including a lack of public advisory on safety concerns in the park or on Las Virgenes Road in the early morning hours.

Police Have 'Valuable Information' into Slaying of Calif. Dad Shot Next to Daughters While Camping

"Police have developed “valuable information” about the killing of a California scientist who was fatally shot while camping with his two young daughters, according to a Wednesday press release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department."

However, “the motive or suspect information remains unknown” in the investigation of the death of 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette, states the release, adding that the department is working with investigators from other agencies.

In that case the information is not that valuable. The only valuable information I can think of is who did it, and why. Which is the information they don't seem to have.

I am Tristan’s cousin looking for answers as well, and really appreciate everybody’s dedication to this case. I’m willing to talk privately to an admin to this site and answer specific questions that may help get the word out. We are have been contacting the city council to add on to the reward, but they haven’t called us back. Any other ideas on how to get the word out?

I am Tristan’s cousin looking for answers as well, and really appreciate everybody’s dedication to this case. I’m willing to talk privately to an admin to this site and answer specific questions that may help get the word out. We are have been contacting the city council to add on to the reward, but they haven’t called us back. Any other ideas on how to get the word out?

Welcome to WS. So sorry for your loss. Tristan seemed like a great guy.

To get the word out, you could contact Christine Pelisek of People magazine as she has done good follow-up reporting on the case. (She's a very good crime writer based in the LA area.) People.com has a wider reach and broader audience than any of the LA media outlets and for this specific case, they've shown a real interest in continued reporting and following up on the few leads they've found.

If you want to describe what kind of 'word' you want to get out, I can probably make other suggestions.

So glad to have you here. These are the instructions on how to become a verified insider on the forum:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Welcome to WS. So sorry for your loss. Tristan seemed like a great guy.

To get the word out, you could contact Christine Pelisek of People magazine as she has done good follow-up reporting on the case. (She's a very good crime writer based in the LA area.) People.com has a wider reach and broader audience than any of the LA media outlets and for this specific case, they've shown a real interest in continued reporting and following up on the few leads they've found.

If you want to describe what kind of 'word' you want to get out, I can probably make other suggestions.
Thank you. What we want to do is get the word out that there is a 30k reward for any information and that we are going to get that amount even higher - having to jump through a few hoops and be respectful to the ongoing investigation. We just want the killer brought to justice. One thing I will share is that there were multiple 911 calls (4) to report “gunshots” from other campers. I don’t know what time all the calls came in — everything happened around 4:45am. I saw a few posts in the last thread asking about this .. so just wanted to point people in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member