CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was a hit. If it was, I think it would have been done very differently. I don't think someone would do it with kids around. I think it would be planned that he was alone.

I think it was random. I think someone is randomly killing people around there when the urge and opportunity presents itself.

I hope this person is found asap. This is so scary. Those poor little girls.

I don't think it was a hit. If it was, I think it would have been done very differently. I don't think someone would do it with kids around. I think it would be planned that he was alone.

I think it was random. I think someone is randomly killing people around there when the urge and opportunity presents itself.

I hope this person is found asap. This is so scary. Those poor little girls.
I also believe it to have been random, and from a distance/outside the tent.

Wow, what a sad story!
Here are my thoughts (in no particular order):
1. As a health professional I don't know how anyone can confuse a head wound with an "upper torso" wound. Unless they just glance at where most of the blood is (ie, it ran down onto his shirt) but don't bother to look for the actual wound(s). The reporting/giving of information on this case has not been great, to put it nicely.
2. My best guess is that Tristan was awake, sitting up, and using his phone or iPad/tablet to check whatever, or maybe send his wife a text message to wish her luck on her exam. I think the screen light from the device attracted the shooter to the tent, and maybe created a shadow that became an easy to hit target. However, we still don't know if Tristan was shot from outside the tent, or if the shooter (or just his gun barrel) entered the front of the tent. If the shooter entered there should be footprints. I don't think he entered the tent.
3. I don't think Tristan was targeted. I think his shooting is related to the previous shootings. I think it would be an odd setting for a hit, and a hit man or jealous and angry professional likely would have used a silencer to avoid attention.
4. I'm thinking the shooter is a young male who perhaps only started shooting back in 2016 (?). His aim was off then, and during the three shootings prior to Tristan. When he shot at Meliss Tatangelo he hit the car but missed her and her boyfriend, etc.
5. The timing of most of the shootings appears to be during school (college, maybe boarding school) breaks. We don't know exactly when in January 2017 Meliss Tatangelo's shooting occurred but it could have been during winter break. The shooting that doesn't fit is the one with birdshot in 11/2016. But that could have been before the shooter ? started college or boarding school.
6. I'm assuming maybe a different gun was used for each of the shootings where LE recovered a bullet prior to Tristan's shooting (?). Unless of course no one bothered to see if any of the bullets came from the same gun...... (Tristan died from at least 1 gunshot to the upper torso, oh no wait he died from a gunshot to the head, oops we forgot to check where all that blood on his shirt was coming from, yeah we applied pressure to the wound, oh wait that wasn't a wound...). IF the bullets came from different guns then maybe dad or grandpa has a gun collection? We'll have to wait to find out if Mo, Curly, and Larry really ever checked for a gun match. Of course if one or more of the shootings is under the jurisdiction of Abbott and Costello, then it becomes more complicated.

I'm surfacing from my long time lurker status to ask a question of people who know more about guns than I do: I live a few minutes away from Malibu Creek State Park and we are plagued all year long with people lighting firecrackers and shooting guns into the air at all hours of the night, especially around holidays. Is it possible to shoot a gun upward into the sky and have the bullet hit someone sleeping in a tent?
Interesting article
The Physics Behind Why Firing A Gun Into The Air Can Kill Someone

I think Malibu has a problem. A creepy, calculating, planning, careful serial shooter problem.

This is just my personal gut feeling so I could obviously be way off.

But when I read about this story, my stomach twists into a knot and I feel a sense of dread/evil. Don't know how else to explain it.

I think there is a messed up "lone wolf" type guy out there shooting at people for thrills. I think he lives/lived in the area and knows it like the back of his hand. And I think this is a sick game to him. I think he's playing with night goggles and scopes, different types of guns and ammo. Just trying different things out and seeing how it goes.

Part of me wonders if he comes back afterwards to see what's going on. Maybe jogging or walking his dog through to see if he can spot the commotion.

We used to try and get our favorite camp site location by number when making reservations for San Clemente. You can make a request.
I would like to know who made their reservation - and how long ago.
June used to get really booked up early.
Yes, I went online as though to make a reservation for that campground. You pick the site and the days.
Also, upthread, I gave the link for photos of every single site. Here again: https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/malibu-creek-state-park/

It looks like media is reporting different dates for the last of the other three shootings reported by the police spokesperson. Some say its the 6th of June 2018 and some articles say she said 18th of June 2018. Since June 18th at the intersection is confirmed (see crimemapping) that is most likely the correct date which leads me to believe June 6th was a typo/confusion..meaning the date June 6th only happened once in 2017 and has no significance as a date other than as mentioned ..generally during school breaks. Here is the quote again "Nicole Nishida, a sheriff’s department spokeswoman, said the three other shootings “occurred nearby within the sheriff’s jurisdiction.” Nishida said the shootings happened June 6, 2017; July 22, 2017; and June 18, 2018."

You know the area far better than I do, so I don't doubt the accuracy of your information.

But they arrested a poacher in the 50 or so acres of undeveloped land behind my house a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure wilderness is a requirement. (The poacher also lives adjacent to the woods.) I think maybe the requirements are just deer, and a firearm.

Agreed. There are also a lot of folks out there who are just plain gun happy. They get their jollies from shooting stuff.

I also think the time of day is meaningful (all shootings have been around 4:30/4:45 am, yes?) To me, that sounds like someone who lives with other people and has an excuse to leave the house around that time. Perhaps someone "going for a morning run?"

If the shooter lived alone, I would think he would be more likely to head out in the dead of night-- like 1 or 2 am-- when even less people are out and about.

I found the information on crimemapping.com. Unfortunately it only lets me search for incidents since the end of December last year which means it only shows location of the homicide victim dropped in the ditch close to the Hindu Tempel and the car that was shot at in the intersection on Monday before the tent shooting. I wish I was able to see more dates to see the exact location of the other incidents (biologist in hammock and couple in car) . I attached the screenshot of the crimemapping locations. Note how close the intersection car incident was at the same time of day (4:20am) on the Monday before to the campsite. (Red hand symbol for assault with gun) The H symbol shows the location where the homicide victim was found in the ditch (probably unrelated but just for good measure) and the campsite is between the orange dot (park entrance) and the H symbol kind of to the left of the main road. (The circle area) I could probably try to overlay the circle map area with the campsite spots map someone posted earlier to determine the exact location of their tents.

I also included screenshot of elevation. It seems to me that if the shot came from outsite the tent then it would have to be from an elevated spot around the campsite (sniper?) The screenshot shows two close areas that are above 600 feet. One looks like it is in a wooded area, probably a hill right to the right of the campsite and one that is a little higher up just lower down. Not sure whether shots from those spots would be feasible at all..I will leave that to the experts.

The high points in the contours can apparently be visualized in the campsite photos I linked above. Here they are again: Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

They seem to be at quite a distance for firing a weapon successfully into Campspot 51. Plus, the other side of the loop (with corresponding inside and outside tent sites) is between the mountains and site #51. You can see the other side of the loop in these photos. Plus, the victim's tent was backed into a tree, eliminating one direction unless he was shot at close range through the back wall of the tent.

If he got hit from the direction of the front of the tent (i.e.facing the loop road), the bullet would have had to come from the direction of the campground loop road and the sites on the other side of that road.

Look how much vegetation is in this area: Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

This is so not seeming random.

Last edited:
If I'm reading everything correctly, these shootings have taken place along Malibu Canyon Road, which turns into Las Virgenes Canyon Road. This includes the Hindu Temple homicide, which may or may not be tied to the shootings. (Please see my Google Map link below.)

Google Maps

I would think LE has increased their presence in this area.

ETA: There aren't many roads along Highway 1 that go through to Highway 101, or another major street. This person must have taken that fact into account when shooting at his victims. Better to quickly drive through the canyons and into the San Fernando Valley, where he could easily blend into traffic, than get caught in a dead-end road where he or she couldn't escape.

JMVHO.

Just had another thought - many of those roads can be difficult to drive without a four-wheel drive. Might LE be looking for someone driving a Jeep or SUV?

Last edited:
Cece Woods from The Local Malibu tweeted the following :
"Shooting victim count up to 7 since 2016 around #Malibu Creek State Park. We’ll be updating on our website as soon as we have gathered all the info. #shooting"
Hope she will publish more info soon. She is the one who reported it was a Tesla that was shot at the Monday before The Local Malibu (@thelocalmalibu) | Twitter

<modnote: added link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Cece Woods from The Local Malibu tweeted the following :
"Shooting victim count up to 7 since 2016 around #Malibu Creek State Park. We’ll be updating on our website as soon as we have gathered all the info. #shooting"
Hope she will publish more info soon. She is the one who reported it was a Tesla that was shot at the Monday before
I really hope they're thoroughly vetting these and not just collecting the various reports floating around. There's been so much conflicting information.

I also think the time of day is meaningful (all shootings have been around 4:30/4:45 am, yes?) To me, that sounds like someone who lives with other people and has an excuse to leave the house around that time. Perhaps someone "going for a morning run?"

If the shooter lived alone, I would think he would be more likely to head out in the dead of night-- like 1 or 2 am-- when even less people are out and about.

RBBM

I agree - that time frame (within an hour of sunrise) seems to be meaningful. Could be someone going for a morning run or possibly heading to work somewhere.

This is a shot at site #49 and #51 from site #55. It gives a good idea of the lay of the land. The restroom is the building distant right. Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

Here's a shot from site #6 Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

#58 Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

All of these photos were evidently taken on the same day. You can make out Site 49 in every photo because it has a cluster of several 2 person tents and a big brown/beige cabin tent.

Last edited:
This is a shot at site #49 and #51 from site #55. It gives a good idea of the lay of the land. The restroom is the building distant right. Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

Here's a shot from site #6 Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information
Those pics are so helpful! Thanks. I agree with you..lots of vegetation which also provides a lot of hiding spots. I agree though whoever did it probably was somewhat close to the campsite if not on it. I believe the other incidents are related..at a minimum the Monday one. Definitely would make sense to look into who was camping since at least Monday and/or who came back to this campsite in June/July of 2017 and 2018 and other school breaks? Where did the info come from that the kids were loud early in the day?

Those pics are so helpful! Thanks. I agree with you..lots of vegetation which also provides a lot of hiding spots. I agree though whoever did it probably was somewhat close to the campsite if not on it. I believe the other incidents are related..at a minimum the Monday one. Definitely would make sense to look into who was camping since at least Monday and/or who came back to this campsite in June/July of 2017 and 2018 and other school breaks? Where did the info come from that the kids were loud early in the day?

RBBM

Possibly Site No. 50? If TB and Family were occupying Site No. 49 and Site No. 51, the folks occupying Site 50 were smack-dab in between 49 and 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8