CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree this is an unlikely scenario.

But the ftr can you believe something like this actually did happen one time? It was strange case. NOT saying this is the case here ONE BIT, TB's family are victims here! Anyway o/t I saw on Forensic Files one time where a woman knew where and when her husband was going to go camping so tried to stage a stray bullet hunting scenario. I forgot what it was that got her caught...again I do not think this is the case here!!!

I remember an episode like that. I believe she wasn't the first or last to try this routine. There's gotta be a handful of hunters who stage this every season. (Dick Cheney much, lol?) Didn't she get caught because the trajectory didn't fit the story?

I'm thinking trajectory may come to be very important in this case, too.

The reason I ask this is because maybe someone knew ahead of time what site he'd be on. And if not, it would seem less likely that he was targeted.

I happen to have been camping in another California state campground last weekend. So, yes, you do know your campsite # ahead of time. And, when you get there, your name is written on a little card that is clipped onto the campsite # sign. So, our site said, #31 - Smith" or whatever. So anyone looking for TB could have easily found him. The only hard part would have been deciding which tent he was in.

Another thing to know is that these campgrounds are not staffed at night. At some of them, there MAY be a staff member during the day. If they are not there, you just get a permit for the cars at a little station and deposit the necessary fees. The only "authority" figures there 24/7 are the campground hosts, typically 65+ year old retirees who are sound asleep in their RV at that time of night!

I agree with most others who say that sound carries VERY easily in a campground. I can hear people in nearby tents when they open the zipper on their tent or snore. A vehicle pulling up would have woken up a lot of people. And a gunshot would have woken up MANY people. It makes zero sense that only one person called 911. There must have been dozens of witnesses to the aftermath; I assume that law enforcement told them that they must not talk to the press, otherwise they would be all over the news.

Assuming no confrontation with another camper earlier that night, I think it was a hit. And I think the hit was either aimed at TB, his brother-in-law, or someone in an adjacent campsite. I don't think that TB's work had anything to do with it.

Seems someone is using people for target practice. What a coward. To shoot people who are relaxed & resting is just evil. Hopefully Tristan Beaudette's murder will be the one to find the killer. Thoughts & prayers for family.

JMO

Okay. Zone A is the area hunting zone that Malibu Creek State Park would fall under.but the closest actual areas for hunting within that Zone appear to be in Ventura county.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/public-room-california-deer-hunting-zones-map.pdf

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83561&inline

Nearby zone D-11 has hunting areas:
Google Image Result for http://www.huntfortruth.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/California-Condor-Ranges.bmp

D-13 has the Los Angeles Padres national forest and hunting is allowed there: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83603&inline

There are private lands where people can hunt deer. None are in zone A in LA County or in nearby D-11: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=95078&inline

Fowl hunt areas are not nearby: Southern CA / Colorada River Wildlife Areas, Refuges, Ecological Reserves - Google My Maps

The closest place I can find for legal hunting within D-11 is the Angeles National Forest or D-13 in Ventura county:

Google Maps

Malibu Creek State Park is part of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. It is not legal to hunt there:

Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - Wikipedia

Hunting in the National Recreation Area - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

D-11 is not good hunting:
Hunting in a forbidding zone

The closest is really only the Angeles National Forest and the Cleveland national Forest (where I hike a lot):
"There’s plenty of public land but state game refuges and national, state, and city parks are closed to hunting."
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=23228&inline

Poaching seems non-existent in the area, at least form 2007 through 2012: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/wildlife/dfg_poaching_incident_reports.pdf

It does seem very unlikely the perp was a hunter. Maybe someone who just gets their jollies from guns? Shooting stuff up? Scaring people? There are many folks out there who engage in this sport, no hunting ground/license/permission/season required.

And fwiw, the tent was curved at the top
Cece Woods from The Local Malibu tweeted the following :
"Shooting victim count up to 7 since 2016 around #Malibu Creek State Park. We’ll be updating on our website as soon as we have gathered all the info. #shooting"
Hope she will publish more info soon. She is the one who reported it was a Tesla that was shot at the Monday before The Local Malibu (@thelocalmalibu) | Twitter

Do you have a link to get website? TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am curious about was the "he had a resume to envy" or some such remark in one of the previous news reports..what exactly did he do for a living?I only ask because perhaps he had a falling out with a business associate.Yet that doesn't explain away the other reports of shots in the same area.

I happen to have been camping in another California state campground last weekend. So, yes, you do know your campsite # ahead of time. And, when you get there, your name is written on a little card that is clipped onto the campsite # sign. So, our site said, #31 - Smith" or whatever. So anyone looking for TB could have easily found him. The only hard part would have been deciding which tent he was in.

Another thing to know is that these campgrounds are not staffed at night. At some of them, there MAY be a staff member during the day. If they are not there, you just get a permit for the cars at a little station and deposit the necessary fees. The only "authority" figures there 24/7 are the campground hosts, typically 65+ year old retirees who are sound asleep in their RV at that time of night!

I agree with most others who say that sound carries VERY easily in a campground. I can hear people in nearby tents when they open the zipper on their tent or snore. A vehicle pulling up would have woken up a lot of people. And a gunshot would have woken up MANY people. It makes zero sense that only one person called 911. There must have been dozens of witnesses to the aftermath; I assume that law enforcement told them that they must not talk to the press, otherwise they would be all over the news.

Assuming no confrontation with another camper earlier that night, I think it was a hit. And I think the hit was either aimed at TB, his brother-in-law, or someone in an adjacent campsite. I don't think that TB's work had anything to do with it.

Great post: it pulls together a lot of insights scattered around this thread.

Yes, it did seem very odd that there weren't multiple 911 calls. That detail usually gets revealed pretty quickly by LE.

The camp map shows that there is at least a little pullover (labeled with a P) near to #49. It's probably the pullover for the restroom. But a great place to put a car for a bit and claim you were in the bathroom.

What I am curious about was the "he had a resume to envy" or some such remark in one of the previous news reports..what exactly did he do for a living?I only ask because perhaps he had a falling out with a business associate.Yet that doesn't explain away the other reports of shots in the same area.
He was high in the ranks of Allergan. If you wore contacts or use eye drops (maybe?), you'd recognize the name. It's a major manufacturer of eye glop.

Not legal hunting, but just before first light would be the ideal time for a poacher wanting to bag an illegal deer. The animals are out and nobody else is.

Other people who are out at that hour: fisherfolk wanting to get to a favorite spot by sunrise, photographers looking for sunrise photos.

It’s just not that type of area where there are deer hunters. I would be very surprised if it was accidental shooting from someone hunting or practicing.

That article......
"And finally, as a bystander, know that you aren't completely safe from a hail of falling bullets until two minutes have passed since the final gunshot. Firing a gun into the air might be extremely unlikely to kill the person firing it, but there's a reason that most major cities have outlawed it: your freedom to celebrate ends when your celebration starts to kill innocent bystanders."

The victim could have heard a shot and been hit 2 minutes later.... He could even have sat up when he heard the shot and been hit in the top of the head.

But here's a thought. The rumor is that there were 2 bullet holes. Two bullet holes and one shot? They would have had to be an entrance and an exit hole? This could get tricky if one hole was in the roof of the tent and another in the side?

It does seem very unlikely the perp was a hunter. Maybe someone who just gets their jollies from guns? Shooting stuff up? Scaring people? There are many folks out there who engage in this sport, no hunting ground/license/permission/season required.

That's possible. If it is they'll probably stop I think. If it's something more sinister and intentional we will know soon enough. Because those types of weirdos tend to continue on for awhile, right? Until they move or get incarcerated for something else or die?

As I picture it, though, you'd get the sound at ground level, so quite soon if the shooter was near you. In the meantime, the bullet is traveling far into the heavens and back down again.

I think it was a hit. He lived in Irvine, a pretty densely populated area in Orange County -- definitely not an easy area to shoot someone and get away with it. He goes to an isolated campsite and is shot in the head right before daybreak. I would think the shooter was probably very close. They should be able to estimate the distance.

<modsnipped- do not sleuth family members or post information from their social media>
3 IMO the outdoor pit chair set up is that TB and BIL may have had adult guests who left before camp Quiet time 10pm.
4. Was there a light on in tent to help 2 year old and 4 year better sleep in tent. Was TB tent 2-room.Was there a porta crib or playpen in tent? It looks as though the side of tent with pair of shoes may be kids side.
5. Irvine neighbors saw bikes loaded during packing for trip. Are all bikes TB and BIL accounted for. Perhaps the shooter left on bike?
6. How did BIL know there are 2 bullet like holes in tent? Police have not confirmed bullet holes in tent, correct?
7. What type of bullets found? Also, perhaps silencer used for the fatal shot.
8. Why no cars in the #51 parking lot? Wonder if additional 1-2 cars at anypoint were visiting TB and BIL on this overnight trip? Looks like 2 campsites, so why what looks to be like a tight fit- the 2 SUVs into only #49. Did EW take the 6/22/18? Was her plan to go to campground to meet up with family after test taken?
9. Where was PW 10pm to 5am? Had she been at campground any time 6/21/18? Was she planning on meeting family on 6/22?
10. When campground registered by TB family or BIL family? Was site 49 and 51 reserved by them in advance? What ID's were shown when entering camping ground? How many Adults in each car?
11. Do any of the families have a registered gun to their name or do any rental that week of homicide?
12 When did BIL wife decide not to go or had she never planned on going?
13 When I took my 2 year old and 4 year old when they were young on a camping trip, it's hard work, especially the 2 year old still in diapers, that for me needed to be changed often.
14 Was there a travel play pen or travel crib for little ones?
15 Family Statement implies middle of night and midst of night when fatal shot fired. IMO the shots heard at 4:45 am was not the fatal shot that killed TB. I have been up at 4:30am and so has my husband at times for work- long commute- we never say we had to get up in the middle of the night. IMO middle of the night denotes 12:30am to 3:45am. I used to complain about having to get ready for work in the early morning, but not in the middle of the night. IMO based on what is being reported, perhaps the fatal shot bleeding could have or may not have first occurred hours earlier. Will be interesting to read full Coronor medical report. Also what was in TB system.
13. 911 call will be important to hear- who made it, what said, location, timing, Also how LE determined which tent to check on and at what site. Who did BIL call tht night 6/21 and morning 6/22.
14. If the shot gun noise sounded from a distance not close to tent, it could have been illegal fireworks noise.
15. Hunters at 4:44am could be using illegal shotguns to hunt birds, lions, squirrels, chipmunks, voles, rabbits, deer, and the rare sighting of black bear. Or to shoot clay pigeons, target bullseye, etc. Early morning good time to hunt.
16. Was TB phone on? What pictures were taken? Did childen have blood spatter on them.
17. I would like to know exactly what BIL did the night of 6/21/18 to morning of 6/22/18, as he was with TB at the campground.
18. How did BIL know there were bullet like holes in tent. were bullets shot into tent or from inside to outside? Did LE even confirm if there were bullet holes.
19. P-45 Lion is somewhat of a celebrity. Perhaps, sadly, it was being targeted by hunters.
20. Lots of camera traps throughout area, so hopefully clues from any activity were captured to help with this case.
21, Wife EW has active medical license throgh around 2020. What test did she take? Aside from OBGYN, she studies medical genetics.
Was she and PW planning on driving together to campsite after Exam?
22. Family statement talks about a single fatal gun shot in the middle of the night, in front of TB 2 young daughters. Also, theres a reported stament of "midst of the night." 4:44am is early morning. The Coroner may be able to determine how long TB bled prior to being pronounced dead.
23. Did TB and SM put toddlers and young kids to be then go hang out together by the pit? Maybe some conversation happened that ended bad.
24. If LE found the gun at the scene near the body, would Coroner rule suicide? LE said gun not located, so did not having a gun found at crime scene lead Coroner to rule out suicide or some other factors for Coroner to determine homicide. Was tent unzipped at entrance when BIL found TB in tent? Was it unzipped when lE arrived? Was there a hole from gun in "screen" at entrance in which case maybe no zipper used to open tent. Shooter just aimed and fired.
25. When was did last person depart at campground that night? Could camper drive outside of campsite early morning or was park gated up.
26. How many bike helmets were packed and present at TB, BIL campground.
27. <modsnip>
28. At time of shot gun noise and the fatal shot to TB, were TB and BIL aware of any previouse shotgun incidents at the campgroung?
29. When is last time TB texted or made contact with anyone or used Internet?
30. Did the 4 year old have a kids camera to take photos.
31. Did TB and SM mingle with other campers. If so, did any ask TB who he works for? Did TB say he was unemployed?
32. Was it TB or EW who wanted to leave jobs and move to SF Bay Area. Did one not really want to move?
33. When was TB starting new job? How about EW? Were they planning on staying for a period of time with LW- family who did .
34. Why no Reward being offered to find the real killer?
35. LE are aware it took about 100 Personnell to search for lost hiker back in April 2018 and could not find him for multiple days even with helicopters. How many LE personnel did the searching for shooter?
36. Did BIL call 911 and if so, did BIL perform CPR?
37. <modsnip>
38. Last bank withdrawl- how much cash at campsite?
30. Time it took LE to search 63 campsites and locate the tent TB in from start of emergency dispatch.
31. Two SUV's parked in not very large #49 assigned parking but if TB had campsite #51, why not park one of the SUV's in #51- Afterall, if both campsites were reserved IMO utilize the space. Perhaps only one campsite was reserved.
32. Perhaps Coroner's full medical report will answer some questions.
33. At any point in at bedtime, did TB kids have slumber camp nap or sleep toghether in one tent?
34. Looks like more than 2 adult chirs at pit, were TB and BIL expecting or did they have adult guests?
35. How many bikes did TB and BIL bring to campsite? How many at campsite when LE arrived? How many helmets?
36. Did TB or BIL or brother of BIL own a gun?
37. On Public LinkedIN, TB lists a handful of pharma/drug discovery companies and they are in SF Bay Area: Tricida, Aimmune, Therapeutics, Gilead Sciences, Genentech in addition to Allergan. Allergan implied TB left Allergan but TB had not updated the end dates of job. Perhaps, TB was moving to SF Bay Area to work for a company that Allergan has interested in partnering with in some way..TB was recently promoted in March 2018. Maybe Allergan was planning on helping TB with relocation to SF Bay Area. Maybe not.
38. A few years ago, I had to study for a big interview. I stayed at a hotel near the place of interview so that I could best prepare without having to take care of my kids for the day/evening. My husband watched our 2 little kids. But I got lots of phone calls- miss you Mommy. Momyy when are you comming home. Bedtime prayers, etc.

My heart goes out to the 2 young girls that lost their Daddy. I pray for TB family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members