CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone with a massive bullet-point post upthread had some really insightful points. How's this line of thinking, with my embellishments:

-The BIL said he heard only one shot. At 4:45 ish in the am. He finds the victim and calls the police?
-Odd. No one else seems to have heard a shot even though campgrounds are so quiet, sounds are really conspicuous.
-There were camp spots just across the loop road. No one heard anything?
-How is it that someone would hear a shot and jump to the conclusion that a nearby tent should be checked? And the girls didn't cry?
-Where is the evidence (other than from BIL) that the victim was shot at the pre-dawn time? Why not earlier?
-Did the girls know the shooter and that's why they didn't cry?
-They cried but BIL didn't report that, for whatever reason.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense....

----------

I'm reading that the tent had a hole "in the top". I did think this meant the hole was through the roof in the vicinity of the peak. But now I'm thinking it could mean the hole is on that barrel-shaped roof anywhere, even on the side of it. Then the hole could reflect a "horizontal shooting" from average shoulder height.

Ok so the Local Malibu magazine just released on their Twitter that they were hearing from inside sources that a description of the shooter will be released soon by law enforcement. It's a pretty specific description and they will wait to release until they have solid information. Sounds like progress is being made.

....snipped for focus.....

Another thing to know is that these campgrounds are not staffed at night. At some of them, there MAY be a staff member during the day. If they are not there, you just get a permit for the cars at a little station and deposit the necessary fees. The only "authority" figures there 24/7 are the campground hosts, typically 65+ year old retirees....

OT
Re BBM

I had to giggle at this because it brought back a funny memory. When my Dad retired he took a job as a security guard at a campground and the only problem was he took his job too seriously. He started to enforce all the park rules to the letter of the T and soon campers started to formally complain they were being harrassed.

My dad was let go by management because he went a little too overboard on enforcing all the rules.

My Dad and I joked about it years later and he admitted that he let his job role get to his head and he was going a little too far with enforcement. :)

Ok so the Local Malibu magazine just released on their Twitter that they were hearing from inside sources that a description of the shooter will be released soon by law enforcement. It's a pretty specific description and they will wait to release until they have solid information. Sounds like progress is being made.

That is super news.

Maybe a camera somehow got a picture of the suspect. Or maybe a witness saw a suspicious person in the area.

Thanks for the update. Lets hope its a good description so he can be caught.

I think Malibu has a problem. A creepy, calculating, planning, careful serial shooter problem.

This is just my personal gut feeling so I could obviously be way off.

But when I read about this story, my stomach twists into a knot and I feel a sense of dread/evil. Don't know how else to explain it.

I think there is a messed up "lone wolf" type guy out there shooting at people for thrills. I think he lives/lived in the area and knows it like the back of his hand. And I think this is a sick game to him. I think he's playing with night goggles and scopes, different types of guns and ammo. Just trying different things out and seeing how it goes.

Part of me wonders if he comes back afterwards to see what's going on. Maybe jogging or walking his dog through to see if he can spot the commotion.

I know what you mean about the dread and evil. I have to steel myself to open the thread each time.

I'm not sure whether it's a lone wolf like you describe, a small group of bad 'uns, or a personal hatred so deep it boiled over to murder. I keep talking about accident or negligence, but I'm trying to talk myself into believing it's not as bad as it seems.

Can you please post a link? I think we'd all like to follow it, thanks!

PS: They only Malibu Magazine I found didn't have any recent posts at all.

Can you please post a link? I think we'd all like to follow it, thanks!

PS: They only Malibu Magazine I found didn't have any recent posts at all.

The Twitter handle is @thelocalmalibu . I attached the screenshot with the message about the description coming forward soon. Not sure where they are posting it on their homepage or if it's more of a newsletter kind of thing?

Attachments

• TheLocalMalibu.JPG
    TheLocalMalibu.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 27
Thank God! They finally might be getting somewhere. I hope they've got something concrete on surveillance or several witness statements. I don't believe that the BIL is the only one who heard the gunshots. I think that is just where most of the focus is at, but surely others heard the gunshots.

The Twitter handle is @thelocalmalibu . I attached the screenshot with the message about the description coming forward soon. Not sure where they are posting it on their homepage or if it's more of a newsletter kind of thing?
From their FB page:

Just a heads up RE MSCP shootings:

We are definitely going to have a full article on the thelocalmalibu.com, in chronological order, with new information detailed as well.

I haven’t done so yet only because there is so much information being sent to me and many news outlets asking me for info and I want to be thorough, put it all in one article - not three or four (like everyone else which makes it confusing and time consuming).

I will always post the important details first on social media and when the article is uploaded I will link here.
The Local Malibu

So if there was only one shot and the tent had two holes and hit TB that would most likely be a through and through unless it ricocheted. Depending upon where he was hit in the head I’m not so sure on ricochet but I guess it’s possible. If the holes were near the top of the tent then he would have to been standing up.

If that is true, it makes me think someone was out taking potshots at cars and tents thinking he would be funny to put a hole in it and TB just happened to be standing up at that time. A series of unfortunate events that resulted in a death because someone doesn’t think before they pick a target or lacks the skills to consider “what/if” when picking a target.

The editor of The Local Malibu also stated: "I have a lot of info I have not released out of respect and to make sure I do not compromise their investigation. They have an important and difficult job to do. But I will release Public Safety info that clearly safe to release."

Why a ? Honestly curious. Were they in dire financial straits?
Student loans for doctors are expensive!
So if there was only one shot and the tent had two holes and hit TB that would most likely be a through and through unless it ricocheted. Depending upon where he was hit in the head I’m not so sure on ricochet but I guess it’s possible. If the holes were near the top of the tent then he would have to been standing up.

If that is true, it makes me think someone was out taking potshots at cars and tents thinking he would be funny to put a hole in it and TB just happened to be standing up at that time. A series of unfortunate events that resulted in a death because someone doesn’t think before they pick a target or lacks the skills to consider “what/if” when picking a target.

Yes! This could be something the killer did as a hobby and that's why people were finding stray bullets by their cars etc. I am also hoping and praying that this is an irresponsible, stupid, person and not a cold blooded killer. If this is someone who is purposely trying to kill people and all the shootings are related, his aim has gotten better unfortunately.

From their FB page:

Just a heads up RE MSCP shootings:

We are definitely going to have a full article on the thelocalmalibu.com, in chronological order, with new information detailed as well.

I haven’t done so yet only because there is so much information being sent to me and many news outlets asking me for info and I want to be thorough, put it all in one article - not three or four (like everyone else which makes it confusing and time consuming).

I will always post the important details first on social media and when the article is uploaded I will link here.
The Local Malibu

Im not from that area but I am very impressed with the reporting done by them in other articles I read on their website.

Sounds like they do things right and are very thorough when they do report on things.

The talk about using silencers at close range to hide the noise has died down a bit but I do want to mention it’s not like Hollywood portrays it. It’s a suppressor and you are still going to hear it near by.

Thr question is, how much suppressing efficiency do you really lose? As it turns out, not much. The exact numbers vary with suppressor manufacturer, model, and caliber, but as a rule of thumb, you can count on losing a couple of decibels of suppression.

4 Things That Most People Get Wrong about Silencers | OutdoorHub

Also I believe it interfers with accuracy but I may be wrong on that one.

Military jets take off at 130 dB, chainsaws run at 120 dB. It’s going to be noticeable in a quiet campground.

Last edited:
Great news! Hopefully we may find out soon if the killing was random or preplanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState