CA - Mass shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival, 3 dead up to 11 injured, 28 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO and just me personally I think this was a lone wolf and the confused witness reports is due to chaos/rapidity/fear. Some said he was in "camo" other reports say khakis and a solid colored shirt (olive green, tan, white, I've seen multiple colors reported). This alone may lead LE to investigate a potential second suspect.
Could very well be. Often in these cases there are initial reports of multiple shooters and it ends up being just one.

In this particular case, I'm awaiting confirmation from LE later about it. Still seems possible, imo.

jmo

Not sure if I should be sharing this but they were trained to use at a those weaponslocal Medieval Arts fighting school, that also has "zombie apocalypse" type courses where modern weapons are used (replicas of the real obviously during training, but they are taught how to load/use the real deal). A good friend of mine rubs the school and he will be devastated when he discovers this was perpetrated by one of his former students. My heart hurts.

you should become a verified insider

Quoting myself.

Looks like Churchill Place is a short street in Gilroy, not far from Christmas Hill Park where the festival was.

Google Maps

Edited to add: Street view on Google maps show a neighborhood of middle-class single-family homes.

jmo

i saw a pic on one of the news links of the home and i knew right where it was. my fam member who recently moved home had the same builder and he lived on Miller which is directly behind the park. this guy just walked over a few blocks, crossed the creek and cut the fence.

IMO and just me personally I think this was a lone wolf and the confused witness reports is due to chaos/rapidity/fear. Some said he was in "camo" other reports say khakis and a solid colored shirt (olive green, tan, white, I've seen multiple colors reported). This alone may lead LE to investigate a potential second suspect.

we are not allowed to link on this site however it should not be too difficult to find a particular one that explained how it started.

Santino William Legan legally purchased his rifle in Nevada 3 weeks ago, authorities said - CNN

The shooter had an assault-style rifle and appeared to shoot at random, Smithee said. The SKS, an “AK-47 type” rifle, was purchased legally in Nevada on July 9, he said, adding that his understanding is that Legan purchased the weapon himself.

It is believed that Legan, though originally from Gilroy, had been living with family members in Nevada, Smithee said, adding that he does not know how long Legan had been back in California.

Just a general reply and then I have to rush off. I want his name to be lost in the thoughts of the public asap.
Such a tragedy. All my thoughts are with those who lost their lives, their families, the first responders and the entire area.
I have owned SKS's and many other of those type weapons. My deceased husband was a collector.
I never had a problem with them and I did enjoy target practice at the local long range.
But I am beginning to think that a 19 year old just doesn't need one.
I still own guns for household and personal protection, but even as a gun owner, I admit I have zero reason to own a high powered rifle like those.
I can understand the need to kill vermin on farms etc. And the value such weapons can hold as investments.
But this is just going too far. Way too far.
And yes, I've seen his pix etc. I wonder if he was under the influence.
Just my own opinion, and certainly not trying to "go there" with a potentially nasty political debate.
So sorry Gilroy :(
Chi

I lived in Gilroy for 20 years...one block away from Churchill Place. These are family homes in a family neighborhood. We bought our home for $250k; when we moved the price had doubled and now these homes sell in the $750-$900k range. So definitely a higher end neighborhood consisting of working folks who want to be out of the hustle of Silicon Valley - although most of them probably work in Silicon Valley (I did).
I attended the GGF every year. The Vineyard Stage "where he came out from behind" is in front of the area where the fence/creek is that he made his way through. With food booths lining the area. Thanks to the quick action of the Gilroy Police Department; the shooter went down quick. With the location where this happened being near so many food booths; places to sit and eat; listen to music, etc. the number of injured/deceased could have been triple.
I have many friends in Gilroy who were at the festival on Saturday...they are mad, sad, and sick that something so beloved by the community and the surrounding areas could turn into another statistic of an "active shooter" situation. And one last comment, when we lived there I ALWAYS went back on Sunday around 5:30p to get the Garlic French bread...thankfully, I now live a couple hundred miles away; or I could have been right there - in the middle of it. Serendipity... jmo

Whoa:

"Thomas Legan, the suspect's father, (left) is shown leaving their home on Monday after his son was identified as the suspect. Legan's grandfather, Tom Legan, was acquitted of raping his oldest daughter in 1988"
I saw that too, but I honestly don't think it is related. There is coverage of this elsewhere - old articles from the 80s. This happened a very long time before the suspect was born and doesn't involve his parents but extended family.

Plenty of things that could've influenced him, but my hunch is that an incident that happened so long before his birth isn't one of them. Speculation only.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mojojojo
Back